How important are EC's for Osteopathic Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumping Iron

Reaction score
Is MCAT & GPA truly the bulk of application? I am graduating Fall 2022 with a high GPA and have very mediocre EC's.
Scheduling to take the MCAT Spring 2023, Preparing to apply for the 2023-2024 cycle. (ORM)

EC's:
~300 hours CNA work (Summer 2021)
~70 hours Vaccine Clinic volunteering
~70 hours Incoming Freshmen Mentoring CO2025 (~70 more this Fall CO2026)
~350 hours Student Employee at my University's Gym
~25 hours Shadowing (DO IM Physician)

EC's in progress:
~Research: Established relationship with a PI at my school, projecting 1 year at time of application.
~Non-Clinical Volunteering: Reached out to a few fun organizations, awaiting events to sign up for (K-12 Personal Finance classes, Special Olympics coaching)
~Shadowing: Scheduled for Orthopedic Shadowing next month.
~Clinical Experience: Signed up to be a patient actor at my state school's medical school (Paid). Awaiting events to sign up for.
~Clinical Work: Anticipating moving back home during gap year to rack up clinical hours.

Misc/Hobbies:
~Phi Delta Epsilon (Most likely not mentioning on my application, joined this just to hangout with the guys and make friends)
~Eagle Scout (Obtained this honor a few months before college, kind of a grey area with this one)
~Lifting (HUGE stress reliever for me outside of studying)
~Personal Finance (Very involved in my personal finance & enjoy studying this on my free time)
~400 hours working at UPS to make money during winter (100% confident not to include this)

Any DO matriculants have success with a similar situation? Is personal statement and narrative much more important than # of hours?
Please share your stories!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're good. You can mention your Eagle Scout project, though get feedback for sure. Some schools may like you mentioning it more than others.

Yes, do not skimp on your PS or EC descriptions. For many schools these are very important.

Reactions: 2 users
The Eagle Scout is one of the few things that you achieved before you turned 18 years old that you can talk about beyond college. I also heard of residency PDs bringing up the Eagle Scout during residency interviews. It is not a coincidence that more than 50% of NASA's astronauts and a high percentage of our military leaders belong to the Eagle's Nest. The percentage of Eagle at West Point, Anapolis, and AF Academy is high also. Can not go wrong with having leadership, honor, courage, commitment, etc.... when the **** hits the fan. GL.

The Eagle Scout is one of the few things that you achieved before you turned 18 years old that you can talk about beyond college. I also heard of residency PDs bringing up the Eagle Scout during residency interviews. It is not a coincidence that more than 50% of NASA's astronauts and a high percentage of our military leaders belong to the Eagle's Nest. The percentage of Eagle at West Point, Anapolis, and AF Academy is high also. Can not go wrong with having leadership, honor, courage, commitment, etc.... when the **** hits the fan. GL.
I've seen some mixed feelings about mentioning the Eagle Scouts honor on r/premed and here, however, this award is one of my proudest accomplishments. I will definitely list this on my applications when the time comes. Thank you!

I've seen some mixed feelings about mentioning the Eagle Scouts honor on r/premed and here, however, this award is one of my proudest accomplishments. I will definitely list this on my applications when the time comes. Thank you!
I had it on my application and it came up during the interview at some of my interviews including the med school that i am currently attending. GL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely keep this on your application. MCAT and GPA are a must to get your foot in the door. EC's are there to show you're well-rounded, informed to a degree about what you're getting yourself into, and relatable. They also give you good talking points in interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I had it on my application and it came up during the interview at some of my interviews including the one i am at now. GL.
How did you include this in your application? Did you list this as a standalone "Experience"? Should I put "999" for Total Hours? Was your entry heavily surrounding your community service project? Good luck with your interviews!!

I am a second year med student. I only mentioned it in my application and the interviewer ask what scouting was like, which gave me the chance to talk about leadership. It was not the focus of my app at all because my MCAT/gpa/clinical and non-clinical hours were well above the average MD applicant. I did not list community service volunteer work/hours as EC because it was pre-college. However, the Eagle Scout was brought up in two of about a dozen interviews that I had.