Extremely low GPA - worried I messed up doing SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcatcat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really low undergrad GPA 3.0sGPA and 3.0GPA with a weak upward trend (3.5 last 60 credits). Did an SMP and I'm in my third and final term. Doing really well this term. Got a 94 on my physiology exam today, but my overall SMP GPA from the first 2 terms is very low. If this term goes well, I'll only hit a 3.2 GPA in the SMP. No MCAT until July 30. Only applying DO next cycle. Just give it to me straight

Members don't see this ad.

I know @Goro says a 3.3 SMP GPA is not* good enough for DO school. Maybe a high MCAT can compensate for a 3.2

Last edited:
Is there anyway your SMP will allow you to retake classes to improve GPA while you're in the application cycle? I know mine does! Also, similar situation as you and I still got accepted to DO! Just make sure that MCAT is at least a 502+. My undergrad was lower than yours as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know @Goro says a 3.3 SMP GPA is good enough for DO school. Maybe a high MCAT can compensate for a 3.2
@Goro has said a 3.3 in an SMP is lethal for DO schools and whoever has that should look into other career options

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyway your SMP will allow you to retake classes to improve GPA while you're in the application cycle? I know mine does! Also, similar situation as you and I still got accepted to DO! Just make sure that MCAT is at least a 502+. My undergrad was lower than yours as well.
Congratulations! What was your SMP GPA/MCAT? Did you get in through a linkage or just by applying broadly? URM/ORM?

And yeah I could take like 10 credits in the fall. 6 would be a retake from a class I withdrew from in term 1, but 4 credits would be new. It would only boost me up to like a 3.3 tho, because med schools average grade retakes instead of replacing

Linkage! ORM. SMP gpa was 3.3 and MCAT was 503.

I would DEF retake. Took me 2 SMPs and 2 MCAT retries and 3 application cycles, and I don't regret anything. The acceptance was worth it!
Did your SMP still allow you to do the linkage if you retook classes? Or did you do a second SMP
I ask because my SMP (PCOM) disqualifies anyone from a guarantee if they withdrew or failed a course. I withdrew from a course first term. Will retake to boost GPA hopefully into the 3.4 range, but that will be when I'm already in the middle of an app cycle. Did you have any luck applying other schools as well?

Last edited:
I know @Goro says a 3.3 SMP GPA is not* good enough for DO school. Maybe a high MCAT can compensate for a 3.2
Rare but I had a <3.6 SMP and made it MD (diff school - not linkage). My SMP class average was 3.3 and while only about ~60% made it to dental/med school I know several who were successful with 3.3-3.6 range. It's very region dependent. If you're doing an SMP in the west or east coast, there are hundreds of other applicants who have a >3.7 SMP / >510, great ECs, URM, etc. But in lesser populated areas and if you're near lower stat schools you're fine.

In fact, SMPs like LECOM, VCOM etc have guaranteed acceptance clauses for anyone who gets a 3.3/498 (LECOM) and VCOM has a 3.3-3.7 and 494-501 range IIRC.

Last edited:
Did your SMP still allow you to do the linkage if you retook classes? Or did you do a second SMP
I ask because my SMP (PCOM) disqualifies anyone from a guarantee if they withdrew or failed a course. I withdrew from a course first term. Will retake to boost GPA hopefully into the 3.4 range, but that will be when I'm already in the middle of an app cycle. Did you have any luck applying other schools as well?
DM me.

Hey I just came into this forum and wanted to ask for advice as well. Currently at the VCOM SMP and while I had a 3.64 in the fall semester, I'd be lucky to obtain a 3.1 overall GPA when I graduate (the spring semester is much more difficult). That being said, I had a 3.88 GPA and VCOM admissions said that they take the last 120 credit hrs, so relatively speaking, they would average my SMP and undergrad GPA to a 3.53-ish. Will I still have a shot if I retake the MCAT as well? From what many of you are saying, a 3.0 SMP is detrimental, but if I do early admissions for VCOM, they will do the average GPA thing, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I just came into this forum and wanted to ask for advice as well. Currently at the VCOM SMP and while I had a 3.64 in the fall semester, I'd be lucky to obtain a 3.1 overall GPA when I graduate (the spring semester is much more difficult). That being said, I had a 3.88 GPA and VCOM admissions said that they take the last 120 credit hrs, so relatively speaking, they would average my SMP and undergrad GPA to a 3.53-ish. Will I still have a shot if I retake the MCAT as well? From what many of you are saying, a 3.0 SMP is detrimental, but if I do early admissions for VCOM, they will do the average GPA thing, right?
This is a great question! I would make your own post about this because it’ll get more views and replies. My post is old so a lot of people might not come across it

This is a great question! I would make your own post about this because it’ll get more views and replies. My post is old so a lot of people might not come across it
Thank you! I actually made a similar post a while back with some feedback and I got the general advice to absolutely nail the MCAT one last time... but that was a few months ago. My current SMP GPA this semester is worrisome and I am wondering if it's better to withdraw from the last semester of the program than to stay with grades below a C. How will med schools and/or other programs like PA school, look at that?

Thank you! I actually made a similar post a while back with some feedback and I got the general advice to absolutely nail the MCAT one last time... but that was a few months ago. My current SMP GPA this semester is worrisome and I am wondering if it's better to withdraw from the last semester of the program than to stay with grades below a C. How will med schools and/or other programs like PA school, look at that?
Ugh you did not need an SMP with a 3.88, you would've gotten directly into MD/DO. And absolutely withdraw if the grade is even below a B-. I tried to take the MCAT and do the SMP in the first term and ended up almost failing anatomy. I withdrew. From what I've heard a 3.0 will not get you looked at by med schools and anything less than a 3.0 is basically game over. I would personally withdraw from whatever course you're not doing well in and retake next year with better grades in the fall and update schools in the app cycle. That's my plan at least.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh you did not need an SMP with a 3.88, you would've gotten directly into MD/DO. And absolutely withdraw if the grade is even below a B-. I tried to take the MCAT and do the SMP in the first term and ended up almost failing anatomy. I withdrew. From what I've heard a 3.0 will not get you looked at by med schools and anything less than a 3.0 is basically game over. I would personally withdraw from whatever course you're not doing well in and retake next year with better grades in the fall and update schools in the app cycle. That's my plan at least.
I know I made a major mistake joining this SMP with a 3.88, but I was under the guise that it would help me avoid my previous 496 MCAT since if I did well enough, I could get accepted directly without an MCAT retake. But in hindsight now, I really should've retaken the MCAT without jeopardizing my grades! I am in such a pickle. I am on a thin line of trying to get a 3.0 considering this spring semester is so messed up (a lot of my classmates and I are suffering due to the lack of professionalism and organization by the faculty). Now, I want to withdraw but the issue was that the deadline was last week! I had no idea as I was planning to fight this through. I am wondering if there is anyway to still ask for a withdrawal since these grades are just bad right now for the first time in my life. I was also planning to retake my MCAT after all this and look for a medical job. Idk if I have time in my schedule for a retake of courses either. Honestly at this rate, should I just look into other careers in medicine at this point? I've been eyeing PA school lately for the job flexibility and less years... I also hear a lot of those schools don't look at things like SMP grades. Sigh, anything helps. Thank you again for reading through and helping me out on weighing my options!

I know I made a major mistake joining this SMP with a 3.88, but I was under the guise that it would help me avoid my previous 496 MCAT since if I did well enough, I could get accepted directly without an MCAT retake. But in hindsight now, I really should've retaken the MCAT without jeopardizing my grades! I am in such a pickle. I am on a thin line of trying to get a 3.0 considering this spring semester is so messed up (a lot of my classmates and I are suffering due to the lack of professionalism and organization by the faculty). Now, I want to withdraw but the issue was that the deadline was last week! I had no idea as I was planning to fight this through. I am wondering if there is anyway to still ask for a withdrawal since these grades are just bad right now for the first time in my life. I was also planning to retake my MCAT after all this and look for a medical job. Idk if I have time in my schedule for a retake of courses either. Honestly at this rate, should I just look into other careers in medicine at this point? I've been eyeing PA school lately for the job flexibility and less years... I also hear a lot of those schools don't look at things like SMP grades. Sigh, anything helps. Thank you again for reading through and helping me out on weighing my options!
Med school is still an option for you, but I feel like you would most likely need to do an extra semester or two of the SMP (which is what I will also be doing). Getting it to the 3.4 SMP range will get you into DO. Then a good MCAT score of course.
PA is great too! Both super respectable careers with good pay.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I came across this forum and wanted some intake as well! I graduated undergrad with a 2.3sGPA, 2.6 cGPA ( my very immature years plus being a D1 athlete..no excuses LOL!). Went on to get my masters in public health (3.9 GPA) and now in the SMP program which I will be graduating with a (3.4-3.58 GPA) depending on my courses. I plan to apply to only MD because I have no shadowed any DO physicians before. I am also taking the MCAT next month, have outstanding EC's, published twice for my contribution in research and I am URM hoping to apply to mostly HBCU schools and instate as well. Any advice on this intake will be greatly appreciated!

Hey! I came across this forum and wanted some intake as well! I graduated undergrad with a 2.3sGPA, 2.6 cGPA ( my very immature years plus being a D1 athlete..no excuses LOL!). Went on to get my masters in public health (3.9 GPA) and now in the SMP program which I will be graduating with a (3.4-3.58 GPA) depending on my courses. I plan to apply to only MD because I have no shadowed any DO physicians before. I am also taking the MCAT next month, have outstanding EC's, published twice for my contribution in research and I am URM hoping to apply to mostly HBCU schools and instate as well. Any advice on this intake will be greatly appreciated!
Your plans are sound if you're African American

Rare but I had a <3.6 SMP and made it MD (diff school - not linkage). My SMP class average was 3.3 and while only about ~60% made it to dental/med school I know several who were successful with 3.3-3.6 range. It's very region dependent. If you're doing an SMP in the west or east coast, there are hundreds of other applicants who have a >3.7 SMP / >510, great ECs, URM, etc. But in lesser populated areas and if you're near lower stat schools you're fine.

In fact, SMPs like LECOM, VCOM etc have guaranteed acceptance clauses for anyone who gets a 3.3/498 (LECOM) and VCOM has a 3.3-3.7 and 494-501 range IIRC.
Little bit of caution--LECOM does not guarantee acceptance. In fact, they are very careful with their legal jargon not to guarantee. Their SMP (from which I graduated in 2021 and matriculated DO last fall) benchmarks qualify students for a DO program interview in December/January.

Pre-meds of SDN: If your cGPA and sGPA are 2.9 or higher and you just want a DO acceptance, do NOT consider SMP programs. For applicants like you, SMPs are a high-risk, low-reward strategy.

Instead of investing in a one-year gamble that can permanently destroy your chances of ever becoming a physician, complete a DIY post-bacc at your local state/community college to push your GPAs to 3.0+ and study your hiney off for your MCAT.

Pre-meds of SDN: If your cGPA and sGPA are 2.9 or higher and you just want a DO acceptance, do NOT consider SMP programs. For applicants like you, SMPs are a high-risk, low-reward strategy.

Instead of investing in a one-year gamble that can permanently destroy your chances of ever becoming a physician, complete a DIY post-bacc at your local state/community college to push your GPAs to 3.0+ and study your hiney off for your MCAT.
I totally wished I followed this fate instead. I had a really high 3.88 GPA and just needed to beat the MCAT after 3 attempts. Did an SMP and my grades in the spring semester dropped so much and now, I can't reapply to med school unless I retake the MCAT and practically do a second SMP. I'm broken but at this rate, I don't mind doing PA school. It just hurts that I spent so much time and money on an SMP that did way more harm than good when I was really close to the goal. Major lesson learned too late for me, so be warned for anyone else deciding to go this route

True, but some people need the structure that an SMP gives

1000 percent this.

As someone who did two SMPs, yup. I gambled with both. First SMP screwed me over although my gpa was a lot better than my undergrad. Second SMP was a blessing, despite the huge risk I took. That’s why it’s important to RESEARCH each SMP and don’t go in blindly (my first mistake with my first SMP). If you insist on doing an SMP, Definitely look into an SMP that will give you something more than a useless degree to hang on your wall if you don’t do well or don’t get in via linkage (one that offers a thesis, research, internships, etc) and pls pls pls take your MCAT exam BEFOREEEEE you start your SMP if required to do so. Again, that was another mistake with my first SMP. Starting med school in Fall so it worked out for me but wow it took me years and a whole lot of debt.

I'll ask everyone this question just to affirm this thread: what did you do to research the SMP's // would you suggest to research the SMP's? There are many that have come online in the last few years so it's not always easy to find this information. The AAMC PB program directory only has so much information.

• Love