Are expensive loupes/lights *really* that much better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's really crappy that the school forces that on you. I didn't even consider 2.5s because they hardly magnified at all.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but you said your school forces you to get 2.5X - does that mean you can't get other loupes on your own and use those?

Buffalo does not allow students to use more than 2.5x for preclinical work. Hoping to change that before I leave. Students can use whatever once they get into clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this is a silly question, but you said your school forces you to get 2.5X - does that mean you can't get other loupes on your own and use those?

I assume its the same at Rutgers because we'll be using the 2.5x in pre clinic.

Buffalo does not allow students to use more than 2.5x for preclinical work. Hoping to change that before I leave. Students can use whatever once they get into clinic.

3rd year here, looking to buy my first pair of loupes and willing to invest in quality but nothing too heavy. I like the specs/looks of the 3.5 TTL prisms from Q-Optics. Can anyone help me with a ballpark price for these (or something similar) please? Am planning to also buy the Lumadent Unilux light for a setup like @TeethRgreat :)

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year here, looking to buy my first pair of loupes and willing to invest in quality but nothing too heavy. I like the specs/looks of the 3.5 TTL prisms from Q-Optics. Can anyone help me with a ballpark price for these (or something similar) please? Am planning to also buy the Lumadent Unilux light for a setup like @TeethRgreat :)

About 1700 with student pricing!
I was eyeing those too but decided to stick with something that will get me through dental school at a cheaper price first and then get something more expensive in 4 years before I graduate

Reactions: 1 user
I was eyeing those too but decided to stick with something that will get me through dental school at a cheaper price first and then get something more expensive in 4 years before I graduate
Don't do that.
Think about how much it is costing to learn how to do these procedures. Give your eyes a good advantage because you will need to see very very closely. Go on a payment plan and pay them off.
Saving money is important, but there are certain purchases that you should go quality. This is one of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't do that.
Think about how much it is costing to learn how to do these procedures. Give your eyes a good advantage because you will need to see very very closely. Go on a payment plan and pay them off.
Saving money is important, but there are certain purchases that you should go quality. This is one of them.

With all due respect, I've consulted with a few of the general dentist faculty who I have been working with in the past few weeks as well as some D3s and D4s to ask about the magnification and type of loupes I should be getting. General consensus has been to forget about 2.5x and that above 3.5x would be fine, but may be overkill for everything except endo procedures.

I was going to get the 3.5x prisms but decided against it after a general dentist faculty told me that the expanded field of view that you get from prismatic lenses is pretty unnecessary unless you're doing ortho work and need to see the full arch of the mouth. Not to mention that prismatic lenses lower your depth of field.

I ordered 3.0x Galileans but will change it to 3.5x Galilean if I feel that I want a higher mag (they also happen to be the same price)

Q-optics, from what I've heard from upperclassmen, have some of the best customer service for our region and the frames are titanium rather than the synthetic material that Surgitel's Oakley frames use so they have a good amount of durability as well.

I've spent quite a bit of time doing research on this from multiple sources and I feel pretty good about my choice.

With all due respect, I've consulted with a few of the general dentist faculty who I have been working with in the past few weeks as well as some D3s and D4s to ask about the magnification and type of loupes I should be getting. General consensus has been to forget about 2.5x and that above 3.5x would be fine, but may be overkill for everything except endo procedures.

I was going to get the 3.5x prisms but decided against it after a general dentist faculty told me that the expanded field of view that you get from prismatic lenses is pretty unnecessary unless you're doing ortho work and need to see the full arch of the mouth. Not to mention that prismatic lenses lower your depth of field.

I ordered 3.0x Galileans but will change it to 3.5x Galilean if I feel that I want a higher mag (they also happen to be the same price)

Q-optics, from what I've heard from upperclassmen, have some of the best customer service for our region and the frames are titanium rather than the synthetic material that Surgitel's Oakley frames use so they have a good amount of durability as well.

I've spent quite a bit of time doing research on this from multiple sources and I feel pretty good about my choice.
No worries. You've done your research and are making an informed decision, which is always important :=|:-):

I agree, forget about 2.5X.

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what the depth of field difference is for the galileans vs prisms? It's a fair point but I couldn't find the distances on their website to compare.

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know what the depth of field difference is for the galileans vs prisms? It's a fair point but I couldn't find the distances on their website to compare.

This information came from a loupes manufacturer so maybe take it with a grain of salt since he might've been trying to sell me his product, BUT he did say it's hard to put concrete numbers on these kind of things because it depends on an individual's setup (working distance, angle of declination, etc).

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is in depth of field between the two, but I did not feel like compromising on depth of field since having things blur from the smallest of movements can be annoying.
Plus the I didn't feel the greater field of view was worth the 800 dollar upcharge over the galileans.

There is a huge difference in depth of field between prisms and galileans. I have 6-7 inches DOF with 3.3x galilieans and my neighbor has 4.5x prisms and he has maybe 2-3 inches.

Personally, for a beginning dental student, and I will be going against the grain here, but more than 3.5x is unnecessary. You'll have no idea what you are doing and having a little extra awareness of your surroundings is very beneficial. The benefit of seeing your crappy chamfer doesn't outweigh knowing where the tongue, lips, and how the pt is reacting when you mess up.

There is a huge difference in depth of field between prisms and galileans. I have 6-7 inches DOF with 3.3x galilieans and my neighbor has 4.5x prisms and he has maybe 2-3 inches.

Personally, for a beginning dental student, and I will be going against the grain here, but more than 3.5x is unnecessary. You'll have no idea what you are doing and having a little extra awareness of your surroundings is very beneficial. The benefit of seeing your crappy chamfer doesn't outweigh knowing where the tongue, lips, and how the pt is reacting when you mess up.

Totally agree

Quick update.. got a quote from an Australian supplier today for the Q-Optics 3.5x Prism TTL's - USD $3200ish!! (Supplier said there's no student discount available for this specific model). Nearly had a MI.

Q-Optics 3.0x TTL Galileans were much more reasonable (with student discount) at USD $1400ish.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick update.. got a quote from an Australian supplier today for the Q-Optics 3.5x Prism TTL's - USD $3200ish!! (Supplier said there's no student discount available for this specific model). Nearly had a MI.

Q-Optics 3.5x TTL Galileans were much more reasonable (with student discount) at USD $1400ish.

Looks like there is an upcharge with the Australian supplier, perhaps due to having to import them? There is definitely a student discount on the prisms. 1745 for the Prisms, 895 for the 3.5x galileans

As with anything optics, you do get what you pay for (Eyeing a pair from Zeiss). I'm puckered but ready for when the time comes to buy loupes.
Just placed the order for my 3.3 Zeiss :) very excited to get them soon! I think that the student pricing for them isn't so bad overall, unless you buy their light... which makes them much more expensive.

Just placed the order for my 3.3 Zeiss :) very excited to get them soon! I think that the student pricing for them isn't so bad overall, unless you buy their light... which makes them much more expensive.
Having a light is a must.

Having a light is a must.
I said "Their light" = The Zeiss light, which is disproportionately expensive. Although with the 2.5X Zeiss, I'm not sure you need extra light since they let so much light in. Not the case with any larger magnification...
I just realized that I sound like a Zeiss rep, lol. I do wish though that they would offer TTL like they do in Europe.

I said "Their light" = The Zeiss light, which is disproportionately expensive. Although with the 2.5X Zeiss, I'm not sure you need extra light since they let so much light in. Not the case with any larger magnification...
I just realized that I sound like a Zeiss rep, lol. I do wish though that they would offer TTL like they do in Europe.

Yeah flip ups were the reason why I didn't even bother considering Zeiss

Oh sorry misread it. I'd recommend a Lumadent light if you don't go with Zeiss. It's cheap (as far as dental lights) and works great. Also how much is the Zeiss light?

Oh sorry misread it. I'd recommend a Lumadent light if you don't go with Zeiss. It's cheap (as far as dental lights) and works great. Also how much is the Zeiss light?
adds almost 700 extra to the loupes

Does anyone have any opinions on the 3.5 prisms from orascoptic. I'm planning on getting these for $1465 plus 520 for a light with lumadent.

Got Orascoptic XV1's with Eyezooms the other day at the loupes fair. Can't wait until I get them.

Im personally going with a set of lumadent 3.3's and their light because the combined cost was like 1300, and the loupes are cheap yet still light weight. If i dont feel totally great on the loupes I plan on returning them and going for Q-optics.

Im personally going with a set of lumadent 3.3's and their light because the combined cost was like 1300, and the loupes are cheap yet still light weight. If i dont feel totally great on the loupes I plan on returning them and going for Q-optics.

I have the 3.3s from Lumadent, they are awesome. Good wide field of view and super light.

I have the 3.3s from Lumadent, they are awesome. Good wide field of view and super light.
Good to know, I dont get them for another couple weeks cuz I have prescription lenses and they supposedly take a bit longer to do so its nice to hear from others with the same products.

You getting Orascoptic? I've tried their 4.5's on the Legend frames and really liked that setup.

Pulled the trigger yesterday on blue legend frames, oralscoptic omnioptic. Comes with 2.5x and 4.5x magnification.