dental loupes help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloratura

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm an asian dental student. In my country dental loupes are not so common in school. I never tried them before, so I'm not sure if I can adapt to a new one (is there anyone who has your preferred position but adjust it when got loupes pls help!!). Actually I'm wondering if wearing loupes can genuinely greatly improve work efficiency? and what kind of magnification should I start with and how long everyone get used to your loupes? I'm also curious about how to switch to normal vision. Appreciate your opinions and thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an incoming D1, so please take what I say with a grain of salt. From my understanding, loupes here in the US are used by all students and dentists in normal circumstances. In addition to that, I have been told they provide a lot of benefits in terms of making stuff that much easier. Lastly, from my friends in dental school the general consensus as far as magnification goes is, "start off with 2.5x, and then regret a year later that you didn't get a 3.5x" lol. In all seriousness, I think most people like starting out with 2.5x. Hope all is well!

If you are not sure - get adjustable ones. Even with small discrepancies you can correct them. 3.5X are usually a bit harder to adjust. Happy medium may be 3.0X. In any case you would not be able to avoid buying a second pair at some point

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a retired general dentist, that started late in my career with loupes, start with 3.5x . You won't regret it. The loupe - light combination vastly improves your ability to see fine detail and not having to adjust the overhead light saves a lot of time. My only qualm, and it's not a negative, is that you become loupe dependent once you realize how great a tool they are.

3.5x is a great place to start. Loupes plus a light will vastly improve your skills. There will be an adjustment period so it may benefit you to try on a typodont for a bit before you use them working on a real patient

Unpopular opinion. I prefer Galilean loupes at least for anything less than 3.5x of course. Whatever mag you get is up to you. I bought 3.5x prismatic when I was a D1 and thought they were amazing until I got a loaner pair of Galileans when my loupes broke. You always stay in focus no matter how much to move your head and no matter if the loupes get moved around a bit and they seem to bring in more light. I know I am the minority in this but Galileans feel natural and prismatics feel like tunnel vision to me that blurs with any movement. A Ferrari and a Toyota Corolla will both get you from point A to B, one just looks nicer.

I've been practicing for 20 years. Took baby steps and many loupes after, I ended up 4.3x deflection loupes. If I can go back, I would just start with my 4.3x defection loupes. Save my back and neck pains.

I've been practicing for 20 years. Took baby steps and many loupes after, I ended up 4.3x deflection loupes. If I can go back, I would just start with my 4.3x defection loupes. Save my back and neck pains.
What brand?