Are 5.7x loupes too high for first pair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hheir8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
D1 here, I've seen most recommendations for loupes being 3.5x or 4.5x magnification. I was pretty deadset on going with q-optics 4.5x prismatic, but I found another pair (bryant dental) at 5.7x with an even larger field of view (listed at 50mm vs q-optics 4-5cm). Would anyone recommend against going with a larger magnification, even if the field of view is the same or greater? My thinking was that I should try to find a pair that can see the entire arch of the mouth, while getting the most magnification as possible

Members don't see this ad.

D1 here, I've seen most recommendations for loupes being 3.5x or 4.5x magnification. I was pretty deadset on going with q-optics 4.5x prismatic, but I found another pair (bryant dental) at 5.7x with an even larger field of view (listed at 50mm vs q-optics 4-5cm). Would anyone recommend against going with a larger magnification, even if the field of view is the same or greater? My thinking was that I should try to find a pair that can see the entire arch of the mouth, while getting the most magnification as possible
You trying to find MB3 or something?

5.7x is WAY to much. You’ll lose track of where your hands are. You’ll lose track of where your sharp instruments are. There is no reason for 5.7 during school.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I’d stick with 2.5 - 3.5 for your first set

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s no right answer because it’s all personal preference. 4.5x is the sweet spot for me, but others are higher or lower.

Try a few different pairs and see how the depth of field and FOV feel before pulling the trigger.

I got qoptics 4.0 prismatic but wish I’d gotten 4.5-5

I got DFV panoramic 4.5x after graduation after using 2.5x DFV in dental school and it was the best decision ever.

I had DFV 2.5 and it was great for dental school. Most of my classmates had between 2.5-3.5 at most.
Upgraded to 3.5 in private practice and that was too narrow for me. Downgraded to 3 and it has been good.

Are you trying to give the James Webb a run for it’s money?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I bought both QOptics 4.0 and 4.5 prismatic during school. I found the depth of field on the 4.5 to be too narrow, so I returned those and kept the 4.0. I have been really happy with them for the last couple of years.

A prof told us you will only go more magnified as you get older. Start small

I use my orascoptic 4.3x for everything. Crowns, implants, thirds and endo.

Endo is the only area I wish I had more magnification.

yeah unless you want to break your neck?
So extra!
Choose 3.0 or 3.5, not less or more..

I would wait until you have an opportunity to attend a vendor fair and try various brands/mags before you decide - keep an open mind! Personally I've used 3.5x since D1 but am looking at 4.5x as that was always my preference. DFV 4.5x panoramics are pretty sweet and their customer service has been good to me thus far.
Keep in mind if you're unhappy with the mags once you start using them it's more tolerable to work with underpowered than overpowered.

I started with a 2.5x. As I progressed and got more comfortable with magnification, I transitioned to a 1.0x. Now, a 1.0x is the only thing I’ll use