Applying to Manipal as an NRI with a low undergraduate GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undeterred0523

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergraduate with a 2.0 GPA. I've had a tough time in college due to many personal problems at home. Now that I've come through all that, I genuinely want to pursue medicine. I know I have no chance at US Medical schools so as a US Citizen and NRI, what are my chances at Manipal?

What sort of criteria does Manipal look for in admissions for an NRI?

Members don't see this ad.

there is no such criteria for admission into medical colleges in india.. all u have to do is have an minimum average of 60% marks when you add up your scores in biology, chemistry and physics from your 12th grade marks.. and since u are an NRI.. you can either write the entrance exam.. or you can pay a so called "capitation fee".. which maybe 20-30 lakh rupess.. of not more if i am right.. indian medical schools do not consider gpa. I am telling this from my own experience since i am also a US citizen :)

I'm also considering going to Manipal...so there is no way we can get into a collge without the "capitation fee" ???? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
there is no such criteria for admission into medical colleges in india.. . or you can pay a so called "capitation fee".. which maybe 20-30 lakh rupess.. of not more if i am right..
You seem to be grossly misinformed. manipal definitely not so. There may be some colleges asking just the money. But that i s also very high.

haha...he isnt grossly miss informed. Just cause they dont as for a "donation"/ capitation fee up front doesnt mean they dont ask for more money.Just go to web site and see the fees per year for NRI vs indian. NRIs pay much more than the Indian counter parts. It is around 130,000 dollars. As for original question. I think you would be able to join. Might get placed in KMC Mangalore but you would get a spot. Question is are you sure you want to spend 6.5 years and not be guaranteed a residency spot. Plus the massive amount of money. It also takes quite a mental toll on your mind. Plus with the whole debt issue I have heard rumors about residency slots getting much harder since they are federally funded. I wouldnt do it again if I had a choice. I didnt realize how much time, stress this takes. But as for the place and education at KMC. It is not bad. Probably one of better places in India. But the Indian curriculum in general is outdated and alot of useless information is required to be learned. I would do med school on the islands before coming to india. Because getting electives, studying for usmle and etc is very difficult to do with on top of the MBBS workload.

Hey i was just wondering if you still went to India or not for college. i am also thinking about going and I am a freshman with a 2.5 gpa. Would i still have a chance at all?? thanks

Medicy' response is absolutely correct with a slight difference. If I am not wrong currently KMC is charging 65 Lakhs and SRM 40L and AIIMS probably 1 crore capitation fee.....you may also get in with below 2.0 GPA......about 4-6 months back AIIMS is caught in a big time med bribery case....where a girl with 40% got in to AIIMS by sitting in their entrance exam. In reality she actually flunked, however, since she paid 1 crore their MIS dept in admissions tweaked her number and she got the admission. Yes, I read it in Times of India. To prove its point Times of India reporter met the admissions people who are engaged in this scam with a hidden camera requesting an admission and taped the whole conversation and released it in the newspaper..... if you are really passionate about medicine or health related career look for other alternatives...

Let me correct you something about Manipal.....Manipal KMC charged my cousin 65L ($130K) to who is a 1st year MBBS student with US citizenship. His high school grade is also inflated with money (11th and 12th in India)....so yes I am guessing, Manipal has no way figuring his high school grade was inflated but they don't care....they have taken $130K from him....

Last edited: