Manipal University- Positive NRI Experiences Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc_96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at forums for any NRI who's actually had a good experience doing MBBS in India
Haven't found anyone yet!
Is there anybody who's willing to share some positive experiences in Manipal University and their success stories or know anyone who's done well after passing out of Manipal?

I've been really thinking of going to Manipal as an NRI for medicine but then after coming across the horrific stories told on this site, I'm being compelled to reconsider my decision...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not any positive experiences, I would reconsider your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
American children are coddled compared to Indians.

Expect:

Much harder curriculum
Much longer hours
Difficulty adapting to culture
Stricter rules
Ridicule (public or privately) from Indians who earned their spots through exam grades rather than donations
Ridicule from Americans who think you went abroad because you couldn't make it in America
Ultra-competitive cutthroat atmosphere
Difficulty matching back in the US
A realization of how much better it is in America and a new found appreciation for your parents or grandparents having you/raising you in America followed quickly by the regret of deciding to go to India for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been looking at forums for any NRI who's actually had a good experience doing MBBS in India
Haven't found anyone yet!
Is there anybody who's willing to share some positive experiences in Manipal University and their success stories or know anyone who's done well after passing out of Manipal?

I've been really thinking of going to Manipal as an NRI for medicine but then after coming across the horrific stories told on this site, I'm being compelled to reconsider my decision...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

I'm from America, and I'm leaving for Manipal in a week to start my second year MBBS. I know this reply is really late, but I wanted to clear some misconceptions. The first few months were definitely hard, I felt like crying most of the time to be honest. I felt I couldn't keep up with the teachers, and the local kids were soo smart. But as time went on, it got MUCH better. I studied better and learned faster. I felt myself get smarter, and actually use more of my brainpower, something which American high school does not train you to do. In all honesty, American high school is a massive joke in comparison to the rest of the world. I won't say I passed with flying colors, but I passed my first year. Granted, I worked really hard, but it's not impossible. Trust me, I'm not even that smart, I just worked harder to compensate. I think going to India was a good decision, for me.
As for the problems that "Medstart108" listed

Yes the curriculum is hard, but you're doing medicine, did you expect it to be easy?
Yes the hours are longer, but again, it's medicine. I still had time to have fun, and chill.
Unless you're totally stubborn, adjusting to the culture isn't even hard. Just stay open minded, plus Manipal is soo westernized.
Rules aren't that strict, annoying yes, but not a huge deal.
I didn't get ridiculed by anyone, most people are quite nice, and some even helped me study and all, despite the fact that I'm from the US. There was one external examiner who didn't like NRI's, but thats all. All the teachers were super helpful, and most of the offered extra help for NRI's
Honestly, I think all my American friends who want to do medicine are a bit jealous, cuz I'll be done with medicine by the time they start their medicine degree after pre-med.
Ok, it is VERY competitive. But just focus on your own work, and you'll get by. Don't compare yourself to others and you'll be fine. It's your game.
Most of the seniors/interns I've talked to who've taken the USMLE have passed easily. And there are tons of graduates who matched in the US. A recent graduate matched in pediatrics at Mount Sinai in Chicago. Yes its difficult, but obviously not impossible.
I don't know if it's better in America because I'm didn't attend med- school here, but I can honestly say that I'm glad I went to India. It's really opened by views on the world, rather than being the typical close-minded American. I did regret my choice for the first few months, but now, I'm fine with it. Plus in India, you get A LOT more clinical experience. You go the hospital starting 2nd year.

In the end, it's up to you. I don't know much because I've only completed my first year, but I've heard that 1st and 4th years are the worst. I mean studying for finals week/ university exams was awful, but most of the class made it through. There are a lot of NRI's in Manipal who do just fine. My experience was pretty good. But I've also met people who were just really negative about everything, so if you're that type of person, Manipal, or anywhere outside of the US, is not for you. On the other hand, one of my friends in Manipal, who is an Indian from South Korea, hated Manipal the first year. But she recently messaged me, telling me that she's excited to go back.

Hope this helped, though it's two years late ;)