Studying MBBS as a NRI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellyR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

So I'm kinda new to this website, so If I'm posting the wrong thing in the wrong category then please do excuse my mistake :shy:
so anyways, I'm a NRI and no I don't live in the US nor do I have any intention of going there, so I don't have the whole issue of doing the USMLES thingy and getting a residency there in the states.. BUT my reasoning for going to india to study MBBS is because the country that I live in, barely has 4 university/college that provide clinical degrees (and even that itself has it's own uncertainty if whether or not they are recognized and accredited or not!!)

I'm doing my A level exam this month it's gonna end at 27th of Jan 2015 (I'm currently doing the exam for Biology and Chemistry) and then I plan on doing Physics on May/june and calling it off. BUT this A level course is something that is done over a 2 years of time period where I'm doing that in just one and a half month!!! so as you can already imagine this is MORE than just cramping the whole preparation time for the exam, I'm working really REALLY hard to achieve a good grade but I can't promise anything.

so I was just wondering, IF in case I don't get that oh-so-sky-touching-colourfull-grades what can I do?
I mainly wanna go into universities in either Mangalore or Bangalore

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello guys!

So I'm kinda new to this website, so If I'm posting the wrong thing in the wrong category then please do excuse my mistake :shy:
so anyways, I'm a NRI and no I don't live in the US nor do I have any intention of going there, so I don't have the whole issue of doing the USMLES thingy and getting a residency there in the states.. BUT my reasoning for going to india to study MBBS is because the country that I live in, barely has 4 university/college that provide clinical degrees (and even that itself has it's own uncertainty if whether or not they are recognized and accredited or not!!)

I'm doing my A level exam this month it's gonna end at 27th of Jan 2015 (I'm currently doing the exam for Biology and Chemistry) and then I plan on doing Physics on May/june and calling it off. BUT this A level course is something that is done over a 2 years of time period where I'm doing that in just one and a half month!!! so as you can already imagine this is MORE than just cramping the whole preparation time for the exam, I'm working really REALLY hard to achieve a good grade but I can't promise anything.

so I was just wondering, IF in case I don't get that oh-so-sky-touching-colourfull-grades what can I do?
write as many entrance exams as you can. good grades are not enough. all of these universities are entrance based. the nri categories in these universities might take into consideration your grades. tuition fee for the nri categories will be around 100,000$. some of them may have a separate entrance for nri category(which would be comparatively easier). check out websites of father muller medical college, manipal university,yenepoya, sri ramachandra etc

Hello guys!

This is an American forum and so most of us have no idea about your questions. I'll move this to the India forum where you might find some answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
write as many entrance exams as you can. good grades are not enough. all of these universities are entrance based. the nri categories in these universities might take into consideration your grades. tuition fee for the nri categories will be around 100,000$. some of them may have a separate entrance for nri category(which would be comparatively easier). check out websites of father muller medical college, manipal university,yenepoya, sri ramachandra etc

Thank you very much! I very much appreciate it! :happy:

This is an American forum and so most of us have no idea about your questions. I'll move this to the India forum where you might find some answers.

I'm very sorry about that! :wideyed::confused:
I'm a bit new to this site, but thanks for letting me know!! :happy:

You can apply to Manipal, Ms Ramaiah, KIMS. These colleges are pretty much one of the best. The admission process is simple. You just contact the colleges and they will let you know of the procedure. I am applying to Manipal this year so I know the process for that college. There is an online application process.
Hope that helped. :)

You can apply to Manipal, Ms Ramaiah, KIMS. These colleges are pretty much one of the best. The admission process is simple. You just contact the colleges and they will let you know of the procedure. I am applying to Manipal this year so I know the process for that college. There is an online application process.
Hope that helped. :)

Hello kez123!! :)
I was thinking about Manipal university too! I was just wondering I might get a average grade, since I'm doing the exam in such a short time you know what I mean? And I have looked at their fee categories. One which is the general quota and then the NRI quota. I've heard that you don't have to do the entrance exam if you're going to do the NRI quota but they will still look at the results that you'll get in a board exam. So I was just wondering, if I get a average grade, will that severely get in the way of my admission to the college?

Last edited:
Hello kez123!! :)
I was thinking about Manipal university too! I was just wondering I might get a average grade, since I'm doing the exam in such a short time you know what I mean? And I have looked at their fee categories. One which is the general quota and then the NRI quota. I've heard that you don't have to do the entrance exam if you're going to do the NRI quota but they will still look at the results that you'll get in a board exam. So I was just wondering, if I get a average grade, will that severely get in the way of my admission to the college?

No..you do not need entrance exam for manipal if you are NRI or for any of the colleges I mentioned. Just wondering..what are you expecting for your grades. I visited manipal this year and I think the competitive percent is around 85%(I know in percent because that's what my school uses) If you dont get in 90s, I think they put you in mangalore instead of manipal. But i don't think there's any difference between the two. I am just saying what I heard from other people so the info might be wrong. Which country are you currently in?

Hey kez123 thanks so much for replying!!
Um see here's the problem, in A level (the exam that Im doing) don't give the grades in percentage. They give it in like A, B, C, D, E...etc

So to answer your question, I'm expecting a B in Biology and a C in Chemistry. But since they are giving the results in Grades and not in marks I have NO idea which grade is exactly 85% LOL

And I live in Dubai :)

Last edited:
Just an update for all the NRIs who are planning to come to India for MBBS, you might now have to write an entrance exam. I don't know the details but apparently the MCI has just released a circular saying any NRIs who wish to come to India for MBBS and want to go to a private institution have to write an entrance exam.
Here is the link for anyone who wants more info.
http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bang...-into-a-huddle-today/articleshow/46149920.cms

Hey there, so idk if you all have applied and gotten in yet (would be interested in an update on the process though), but just a few points to note.

1. I had considered Manipal as well in 2013 when I applied (I am in 1st year giving the exam for 3rd time in May 2016, expect to pass this time), but then found out that it was basically a party school. Good thing too, having been here for 2 years I know that Manipal has a very poor reputation and is know for being full of druggies.

2. When I applied, I stuck to schools in Mumbai and Nagpur as I knew the language and had relatives in these areas. Here is what each school charged/wanted to charge me:

Lata Mangeshkar Medical College Nagpur, MH
5 lakh to reserve a seat (which I paid when I didn't get in to my school in the 1st list) and then an additional 60 lakh donation

Terna Medical College Navi Mumbai
1 crore to go to a college which looked as though it was radioactive, honestly the campus was disgusting, and the admissions guy made my dad go in without me and without shoes, bag, belt to prevent him from taking a recording of his asking for a 1 crore donation

DY Patil Navi Mumbai
1 crore on top of the yearly fees; all the seats here are paid and the exams are paid as well, no attendance is required here and for internals 50,000 Rs is paid for each paper (6 papers x 50k is 3 lakh per exam, with 2 internals and 1 "external" exam per year, that's an additional 9 lakh) and no, you cannot take contri from people and buy a paper, the HOD will fail all of you who have done well in the paper

MGM Navi Mumbai
1 crore, again another paid college with paid exams, even the Indian students sit the entrance exams and are told they have gotten the 1st rank

KJ Somaiya Medical College
Not well known at all, but they charged 60 lakh in my year, no donation, but it is 13 lakh per year, half to be given on admission, the other half before the 1st MBBS university exam, only 50 students per batch, 7 of which are NRI, and you get a govt degree at the end

Note, of the college's I mentioned, only Lata Mangeshkar and KJ Somaiya are govt degree colleges, the rest are deemed, meaning the degree is useless. All these colleges, BJ Medical College Pune, Bhartividyapeeth, all are deemed and the degree has no use other than to give you the Dr name so people go to deemed colleges if they know that they are going to take over their parents hospitals.

3. As for my college I picked KJ because I got in on merit and no donation was required, but still I am struggling. I have just given my 3rd attempt and failed by 5-7 marks in each subject. Plus, the people in the college all have inflated egos and have the mindset of a junior high student. There is a lot of discrimination against NRI students, less against those from Dubai/ Emirates, but I am the only one from my college from the US. There is one more girl but she did only high school from US, so she was used to the Indian pattern. I am at a point where my teachers in anat are some what supportive, but those in other subjects only aim to bring me down and literally tell me to my face that I cannot pass. In my recent uni exam,the external asked me if I was from the US, and told me that he knew that the Indian system was only testing rote memorization. The fact is, even the teachers recognize that it is simply mugging, but students here refuse to accept that and remain adamant that they are learning and understanding.

Trust me, it is very difficult in India with no guarantees at all. I would recommend KJ to you, because you get a govt degree and at least you get in on merit, but if your grades aren't good enough then you may not get in. The hostel is so-so but that's kind of the least of your concern at this point, and it's Mumbai so it's fine.

Last edited:
Try European universities! I am at Semmelweis and it is amazing! Very easy to get in (that is if you know sciences pretty well) but very tough to not to fail. Most of my friends did not make it through. Check these out if you're interested and I will talk more about how European med schools work, what to do as a high school student or college, what Budapest (where we study) is like and etc...