Application to Mayo Clinic - need college transcript and NBME shelf scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Micro115

M4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) website states the following:

"To apply to the General Surgery Residency, you must submit an electronic application via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through your medical school dean's office.

To use this application process, you need the following information:
  • Official college, graduate school and medical school transcripts
  • Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE*, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX or NBME)
  • A dean's letter and two other letters of recommendation
  • A curriculum vitae
  • A personal statement
  • A valid ECFMG certificate (if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada) "
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that I need to have my college send my undergrad transcript to Mayo? (And how many other residencies actually need your college grades???) Also, since I took all NBME shelves last year, must I have those sent, too? I am unable to send all of these scores through ERAS, so I would need to send them separately. Is this correct? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I applied to Mayo (a couple years back), I did not submit anything extra beyond the typical ERAS stuff. And I got an interview. If they want more info on you, they will ask you for it or send a supplemental app like other programs do.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied to Mayo (a couple years back), I did not submit anything extra beyond the typical ERAS stuff. And I got an interview. If they want more info on you, they will ask you for it or send a supplemental app like other programs do.

ditto.

The Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) website states the following:

"To apply to the General Surgery Residency, you must submit an electronic application via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through your medical school dean's office.

To use this application process, you need the following information:
  • Official college, graduate school and medical school transcripts
  • Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE*, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX or NBME)
  • A dean's letter and two other letters of recommendation
  • A curriculum vitae
  • A personal statement
  • A valid ECFMG certificate (if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada) "
Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that I need to have my college send my undergrad transcript to Mayo? (And how many other residencies actually need your college grades???) Also, since I took all NBME shelves last year, must I have those sent, too? I am unable to send all of these scores through ERAS, so I would need to send them separately. Is this correct? Thanks.

Oddly enough, I interviewed at Mayo this last winter for fellowship training. In one of the brochures in the packet that the applicants got, I believe that there was some stuff in there about doing a nicotine test before starting work there. I didn't even know that there was a test for nicotine.

Last edited:

This was my experience too. It was a typical application, typical interview with a couple of faculty and lunch which was pretty nice. I also sat in on their Chief's conference and Mortality/Morbidity with Dr. Sarr. It was priceless.