Clinic to OR ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadgeboi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing more about different practice types/setups. Would any attendings be willing to share how your work week and practice is set up? And how are you liking your schedule as an attending?

- Subspecialty (if applicable):
- Clinic vs OR days per week:
- Hours worked per week:
- Call frequency
- If comfortable sharing, COL (high/low) and ballpark compensation:

Members don't see this ad.

I think the issue is that all of these things are completely negotiable. I’ve operated three days a week and once every other week. I’ve worked 60 hour weeks and 32 hour weeks. I’ve been on call every other week and once every fifth day. I know guys who make $250k and guys who make over a million (including income from ASC, allergy, etc).

Yeah as HighPriest said it's super variable based on location, setting, negotiation, their need for a new ENT, etc. I interviewed at multiple different settings and even in the same city and structure it was different. Your regional data will be available via MGMA (would get contract lawyer). But Ill play since I found it hard to find data when I was in residency.

Generalist doing mostly sleep, sinus, endocrine
3 days clinic 1-2 days OR, usually 0.5 admin day
40-50 hrs depending
Call q4
Low COL area with high need, salary ~550 w bonus based on productivity

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the issue is that all of these things are completely negotiable. I’ve operated three days a week and once every other week. I’ve worked 60 hour weeks and 32 hour weeks. I’ve been on call every other week and once every fifth day. I know guys who make $250k and guys who make over a million (including income from ASC, allergy, etc).
You make a good point. I suppose I was just curious about what different practice styles are like since I don't have anything else to base it off of.

Yeah as HighPriest said it's super variable based on location, setting, negotiation, their need for a new ENT, etc. I interviewed at multiple different settings and even in the same city and structure it was different. Your regional data will be available via MGMA (would get contract lawyer). But Ill play since I found it hard to find data when I was in residency.

Generalist doing mostly sleep, sinus, endocrine
3 days clinic 1-2 days OR, usually 0.5 admin day
40-50 hrs depending
Call q4
Low COL area with high need, salary ~550 w bonus based on productivity

Thanks, I appreciate the input! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: 1 user