Application process AGAIN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mayson4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ...
I am in the process of sending my application and have couple of questions:
-I have changed my previous PS and added 2 more work activies..do I have to send the primary now or wait till new mcat score( taking exam this Friday:-(???
-previous work activies still the same, the two added ones ( shadowing which I mentioned in PS and work related activity).. is it ok to mention shadowing in work activity section or am I repeating myself?
-recomendation letter... I have hard time finding a science instructor to write a GOOD Recom. I am confident that I will find good recom.( non-science)..how can I resolve this problem? graduated 2006..
-

Members don't see this ad.

Hello ...
I am in the process of sending my application and have couple of questions:
-I have changed my previous PS and added 2 more work activies..do I have to send the primary now or wait till new mcat score( taking exam this Friday:-(???
-previous work activies still the same, the two added ones ( shadowing which I mentioned in PS and work related activity).. is it ok to mention shadowing in work activity section or am I repeating myself?
-recomendation letter... I have hard time finding a science instructor to write a GOOD Recom. I am confident that I will find good recom.( non-science)..how can I resolve this problem? graduated 2006..
-

Hi,

I'd send the amcas in fairly soon, as it likely will take a few weeks to process, I don't think the primary can be submitted until early June, however.

Suggest you look carefully at how you classify ECs, I've had issues with experiences not being "seen" because they were not listed under the classification that the schools were looking for, for example 3 areas elaborated within the personal statement were note "seen" by one adcomm I spoke with. I'd list shadowing under "volunteer/community service" or medical volunteering. Also would be a thought to list any relevant experiences separately under the "leadership/other" category, just so they're not missed.

For recommender, I'd contacted a teacher after a number of years, he remembered me & was willing to write a letter of recommendation. But if that doesn't work, many/most schools will make exceptions to their exact LOR requirement, maybe allowing 1 science instructor/2 nonscience instructors rather than 2 science/1 nonscience, just contact the schools to ask them about this. best of luck, remember to stay positive in that personal statement!

I agree with nontrdgsbuiucmd above, shadowing should fall under the volunteering section (medically related category to be specific). The only things that should fall under work activity are those things that you're paid for.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you're concerned about repeating an activity in your PS and then activities, don't be. The PS is about you, and the activities, jobs, etc. that you participate in are going to have an impact on you.

Finally, with regard to the LOR, schools are willing to work with non-trads who have been out for a while by letting them substitute academic LORs for non-academic/employer/supervisor LORs. But you have to contact each admission office of the schools to which you're applying and ask them directly-- some schools will just say 'okay,' others will make the request more formal and it becomes a part of the application record. Be aware, however, that since you've only been out of college for 2 years, they may not extend the courtesy to you. When I applied, there were a few schools that required the typical 2 sci, 2 non-sci LORs if you'd been in college in the past 3 years. But then again, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Best of luck!

nontrdgsbuiucmd and weoh.. I do appreciate your responses..it is very helpfull.