Can I be a med student again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Island Doctor MD

Reaction score
Last year I drop out of a USMD medical school because of personal reasons. Here is my story so you have more background

I graduated with a 4.0 GPA undergraduate but when I was studying for the MCAT at my home, I had many family problems because I have very toxic parents this lead to not having time to study because they always whining about "I didn't have time for them and that I was at there home the least I can do was doing chores and dedicate time to them"
This lead to my bad study habits and bombing the MCAT got a 497. This is totally my fault but I know I could have done better Still was accepted to two medical schools and because of the toxic relationship with my parents, they say they will disinherit me if I didn't go to the school close to home.

The worst decision of my life not attending one of the other medical school far from home, medical school while been near home was the same as the MCAT, they always dropping by telling me to make time for them, I started having a lot of anxiety which led to getting a low grade at the end of the year I almost completed MS1 but had a 2.6gpa mostly C and couple of Bs. But because of my condition the depression and things getting worse at home. I ask for a leave of absence and was denied my school counselor is the worst. Through the year when I barely pass two exams. I went to the counselor for support and to see what can I do to improve. She told me several times to drop out, that med wasn't for me. That really affected me. So I drop out, the school was as toxic as my parents.

Almost a year later I am out of my house. Currently, 70K in debt working a minimum wage job. I want to know if I improve my MCAT I know I can get at around 10-15 points more. I am a URM. Do I have a chance to get into medical school again? or it is over for me?

I was considering applying in two-cycle or even doing a master's degree and then applying. What would you recommend? Do I even have a chance after dropping out of medical school? I was not completely failing, I was just in a very toxic environment

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is this real? You have taken 0 responsibility for your failure it seems like. This can't be real. You must be a troll.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Is this real? You have taken 0 responsibility for your failure it seems like. This can't be real. You must be a troll.
I know it is my fault I didn't took the best decision and was weak and easily persuade to do something that was wrong for me. I was not in a good place in my life. I am sorry if you believe I am a troll. Depression is a real thing. And the medical school was toxic that not my fault, 10 students out of 67 drops out because of the low support when struggling in classes because I am friends with them and talk to every one of them before making my decision.

I am in a better place now, I am sorry if you don't understand mental health and think everyone passing a difficult situation Is a troll.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What steps have you taken to get your depression under control? That’s your first step to moving on and being successful in whatever career you end up pursuing.
Another thing you can do while you pursue health is work on your writing skills. Maybe spend time writing everyday and have a trusted friend proof read it and make suggestions . Being a good writer will of great use in applying to schools or jobs.
Good luck and be well.

Reactions: 5 users
I know it is my fault I didn't took the best decision and was weak and easily persuade to do something that was wrong for me. I was not in a good place in my life. I am sorry if you believe I am a troll. Depression is a real thing. And the medical school was toxic that not my fault, 10 students out of 67 drops out because of the low support when struggling in classes because I am friends with them and talk to every one of them before making my decision.

I am in a better place now, I am sorry if you don't understand mental health and think everyone passing a difficult situation Is a troll.

Your first post was basically "I dropped out of med school because my parents are toxic and the school was toxic and the school counselor is the worst. Also I'm a URM."

You might not be but it sure sounds like a troll post.

Last year I drop out of a USMD medical school because of personal reasons. Here is my story so you have more background

I graduated with a 4.0 gpa undergraduate but when I was studying for the MCAT at my home, I had many family problems because I have very toxic parents this lead to not having time to study because they always whining about "I didn't have time for them and that I was at there home the least I can do was doing chores and dedicate time to them"
This lead to me bad study habits and bombing the MCAT got a 497. This is totally my fault but I know I could have done better Still was accepted to two medical schools and because of the toxic relationship with my parents, they say they will disinherit me if I didn't go to the school close to home.

The worst decision of my life, medical school while been near home was the same as the MCAT, they always dropping by telling me to make time for them, I started having a lot of anxiety which led to getting a low grade at the end of the year I almost completed MS1 but had a 2.6gpa mostly C and couple of Bs. But because of my condition the depression and things getting worse at home. I ask for a leave of absence and was denied my school counselor is the worst. Through the year when I barely pass two exams. I went to the counselor for support and to see what can I do to improve. She told me several times to drop out, that med wasn't for me. That really affected me. So I drop out, the school was as toxic as my parents.

Almost a year later I am out of my house. Currently, 70K in debt working a minimum wage job. I want to know if I improve my MCAT I know I can get at around 10-15 points more. I am a URM. Do I have a chance to get into medical school again? or it is over for me?

I was considering applying in two-cycle or even doing a master's degree and then applying. What would you recommend? Do I even have a chance after dropping out of medical school? I was not completely failing, I was just in a very toxic enviroment

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Not very helpful but I appreciate all of your responses.

Just a comment, not everyone here is a 520 MCAT, T50 Medschool, AOA Top percentile med student. You need to be more sensitive, some people struggle more than others. Some people actually need advice and not criticism for their bad choice. I f*cked up, I know it but I am the only med student that had mental health problems and didn't make the best choice? I don't think so.

I am gonna be a physician, just wait a couple of years. I would prove you all wrong

Accepted with a 497 MCAT to a school that has a 15%+ attrition rate due to poor academic support? Are you sure you didn’t go to a Caribbean school?

Reactions: 7 users
I think your chances of getting into another program are close to zero given the fact that you have already failed and/or left a professional program without completing it. I'm not saying this in any way to be cruel, but it's unlikely that any US MD/DO adcom is going to take a chance on you. There is a possibility that you could still do for profit Caribbean med school, but given your record I would highly recommend against it.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted with a 497 MCAT to a school that has a 15%+ attrition rate due to poor academic support? Are you sure you didn’t go to a Caribbean school?
Oh now that’s something I had not considered. You might be correct. I wondered about the MD acceptance with a 497.

I graduated with a 4.0 gpa undergraduate but when I was studying for the MCAT at my home, I had many family problems because I have very toxic parents this lead to not having time to study because they always whining about "I didn't have time for them and that I was at there home the least I can do was doing chores and dedicate time to them"
This lead to me bad study habits and bombing the MCAT got a 497. This is totally my fault but I know I could have done better Still was accepted to two medical schools and because of the toxic relationship with my parents, they say they will disinherit me if I didn't go to the school close to home.

The worst decision of my life, medical school while been near home was the same as the MCAT, they always dropping by telling me to make time for them, I started having a lot of anxiety which led to getting a low grade at the end of the year I almost completed MS1 but had a 2.6gpa mostly C and couple of Bs. But because of my condition the depression and things getting worse at home. I ask for a leave of absence and was denied my school counselor is the worst. Through the year when I barely pass two exams. I went to the counselor for support and to see what can I do to improve. She told me several times to drop out, that med wasn't for me. That really affected me. So I drop out, the school was as toxic as my parents.

I was considering applying in two-cycle or even doing a master's degree and then applying. What would you recommend? Do I even have a chance after dropping out of medical school? I was not completely failing, I was just in a very toxic enviroment
I can't sugar coat this, your medical career is over. Time for Plan B.

What if they do an SMP and get a better mcat? Would schools overlook the past?

That might be the only salvation.

And it's not just the stats...the entire app has to be good.
Sorry, I didn't give more info about my app. I think I got a decent profile that is the reason I was accepted with such a ****ty MCAT.

GPA: 4.0gpa took 2 gap year after graduating undergrad
MCAT: 497 but I know I will improve I am already studying and AAMC FL are in 509 and still don't have a date to take it
State: Texas
Ethnicity/Race: URM Minority Latino bilingual
Clinical Experience: 2000 hours as a scribe, around 1600 in clinical research, 400 hours as clinical trial coordinator
Research Experience: 1 year (40 hours for 40 weeks) in a research hospital very productive optho clinical research. 23 pubs a couple more posters just 5 first author. And a couple of summer internships just posters in basic science.
Shadowing: 300 hours in Optho and 150 hours at internal medicine/family medicine
Non-clinical Volunteering: 1000 hours as a math tutor this was before college, 500 hours at a homeless shelter, created a foundation to build homes for the homeless in rural Texas. 300 hours science tutor for a middle schooler in college. Couple extra hours visiting nursing homes
Other EC: Currently accepted a position as a research fellow that could add at least 10 papers in the upcoming year. I will try to add more hours of Community service
Awards/Honors: Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, two more awards I can't say because of anonymity

That is your opinion I will come back in a couple of years to prove you wrong. Hopefully

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I didn't give more info about my app. I think I got a decent profile that is the reason I was accepted with such a ****ty MCAT.

GPA: 4.0gpa took 2 gap year after graduating undergrad
MCAT: 497 but I know I will improve I am already studying and AAMC FL are in 509 and still don't have a date to take it
State: Texas
Ethnicity/Race: URM Minority Latino bilingual
Clinical Experience: 2000 hours as a scribe, around 1600 in clinical research, 400 hours as clinical trial coordinator
Research Experience: 1 year (40 hours for 40 weeks) in a research hospital very productive optho clinical research. 23 pubs a couple more posters just 5 first author. And a couple of summer internships just posters in basic science.
Shadowing: 300 hours in Optho and 150 hours at internal medicine/family medicine
Non-clinical Volunteering: 1000 hours as a math tutor this was before college, 500 hours at a homeless shelter, created a foundation to build homes for the homeless in rural Texas. 300 hours science tutor for a middle schooler in college. Couple extra hours visiting nursing homes
Other EC: Currently accepted a position as a research fellow that could add at least 10 papers in the upcoming year. I will try to add more hours of Community service
Awards/Honors: Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, two more awards I can't say because of anonymity

That is your opinion I will come back in a couple of years to prove you wrong. Hopefully

Your situation sounds a lot like mine a few years ago. However, I had a lower GPA than you, and I failed a masters program. I retook the MCAT and got a good score (515+) and did an SMP with good GPA. I applied to all the DO schools I was eligible at, and attended the virtual info sessions and emailed the office so that I would not be overlooked due to GPA. I got like 8 interviews and one acceptance so far. So you can still go to DO school if you get a good SMP GPA and MCAT score. Of course, you should first try to solve whatever problem you have.

Last edited:
I think your chances of getting into another program are close to zero given the fact that you have already failed and/or left a professional program without completing it. I'm not saying this in any way to be cruel, but it's unlikely that any US MD/DO adcom is going to take a chance on you. There is a possibility that you could still do for profit Caribbean med school, but given your record I would highly recommend against it.
This is probably the way if you are dead set on any chance at medicine, although it would not be a great idea for you considering what you wrote about yourself in your original post. Caribbean schools are known to break their students so they can inflate their numbers and only the best students move on, and the others drop out with horrible debt.

Reactions: 1 user
love seeing y'all dump on this guy when it could be a legit situation. what tools.

Reactions: 8 users
love seeing y'all dump on this guy when it could be a legit situation. what tools.
People don't come here for hugs and kisses, but realistic advice. OP would be DOA at my school without excellent performance in an SMP and a much better MCAT score.

Doing the "rah rah, you can do it" shtick does no one any favors, especially someone who has dropped out of medical school.

Reactions: 9 users
It is my fault, I should have known better than to seek help in this forum. I wouldn't let them shoot me down. Cause I know I am not an AOA standard sdn genius med student but I care for others. I really want to be a physician go back to help my community.

This forum taught me how much people like me are needed. People who really want to help others when they need it. And not doctors who criticize you for making bad decisions when you were not in the best state of mind.
Goro, wait for my message in a few years with my acceptance letter

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It is my fault, I should have known better than to seek help in this forum. I wouldn't let them shoot me down. Cause I know I am not an AOA standard sdn genius med student but I care for others. I really want to be a physician go back to help my community.

This forum taught me how much people like me are needed. People who really want to help others when they need it. And not doctors who criticize you for making bad decisions when you were not in the best state of mind.

Sending someone a screenshot of your acceptance letter is like sending your wife's ex boyfriend a pic of her lady bits. Don't.

• Haha

"I told you so" is not a good reason to want to be a doctor.

"I told you so" is not a good reason to want to be a doctor.
I already wanted to be a doctor, I made the post before your comments. The "told you so" is for your ego. and for you to learn that sometimes a little encouragement goes farther than shooting someone's dreams down

• Okay...
I already wanted to be a doctor, I made the post before your comments. The "told you so" is for your ego. and for you to learn that sometimes a little encouragement goes farther than shooting someone's dreams down
This is getting tiresome. Medical schools are not the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Going to model good SDN behavior and put you on Ignore now. You'll feel some slight pressure between the eyes.

Then why are you here trying to get back in?

"The worst decision of my life, medical school"

• Love
You need to get away from your parents. They'll take from you for as long as they live if you let them. My situation is not the same but I understand having parents who think what they "need" from their kid is more important than the kid's future. Have you ever looked into support groups for people with narcissistic parents? I mean this in the nicest way possible- you seem emotionally wrecked and you aren't going to find success until you learn to respect yourself enough to hold yourself responsible for removing yourself from this situation.

I don't know about getting back into medical school but I would prioritize your emotional and mental health. Once that is sorted, getting back on track will be much easier.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Agree with above. Consider getting away from parents and making sure you are in a good spot mentally before jumping back into this grind.

In your original post, you ask, “Do I even have a chance after dropping out of medical school?” When some users answered that they believe you don’t have a chance, you immediately became defensive and played a victim. What’s the point of asking questions on here if you’re only willing to accept one answer? If you’re only here to boost your self-esteem and to receive support for the decision you’ve already made, you could have just said, “Please post words of encouragement and compliments. I’m not interested in hearing any criticism of my plan.”

Since you’re not here for candid feedback, I’ll give you what you seem to actually be here for: Your odds of re-admission into medical school are extremely high, especially because you actually want to help people, unlike the cruel meanies on SDN. Bring that MCAT score up to a 498 or 499 and I think you’ll be on a direct path to Harvard Med. Just make sure to choose a medical school that doesn’t have toxic advisors who try to manipulate students into dropping out—because that’s obviously a super common problem at US MD programs. Good luck, not that you’ll need it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

Can I also get a picture of the acceptance? I can send you a care package in Grenada.

• Haha
  • Okay...
OP. If you are trying to waste you parents money by applying another cycle, you in all likelihood will succeed. I can't sugarcoat this. You would get a thumbs down from me if you applied at my school. Although your story is disappointing, you have had no real achievements. I would suggest you take some time off, work at a real job for a few years while you get your mental health issues under control. You can take a few upper level science courses where you can demonstrate your ability to excel. The issues that required you to drop out of medical must be addressed. No school will want to take a chance on you without your ability to completely convince them that all the issues are under control and you have a successful management plan in place. They are interested in your success, not watching you drop out a second time.This rests entirely upon you to do this. Your inability to grasp the nature of your problems and lack of follow through are a concern to me. I know you didn't want to hear this, but you need to take some time to focus on your health and well being. Look really hard at a Plan B outside of medicine. Life is full of choices, it's up to you to make good ones. I wish you nothing but the best.

• Love
MCAT date May 1. I decided to submit an application this next cycle early on June 1 when my score will be released. I will update you all on my journey.

Why so early? I will study intensely this 2.5month my score should increase enough. I got the recommendation letters on stand by already so why wait. if I am getting denied better kill my dream now. That be two years older and doing nothing. If I fail will totally apply for the PhD and maybe med again after but who knows.

I will update you all with my rejections or acceptances and my MCAT score.

MCAT date May 1. I decided to submit an application this next cycle early on June 1 when my score will be released. I will update you all on my journey.

Why so early? I will study intensely this 2.5month my score should increase enough. I got the recommendation letters on stand by already so why wait. if I am getting denied better kill my dream now. That be two years older and doing nothing. If I fail will totally apply for the PhD and maybe med again after but who knows.

I will update you all with my rejections or acceptances and my MCAT score.
Just a FYI- May 1 is about 6 weeks away not 2.5 months. Good luck on the test.

Still curious which US MD school has that high of an attrition rate and is not facing probation.

This mentality is complete hogwash. I’m far from a “standard SDN med genius student” my cGPA is under 3.0 my MCAT is nowhere near the highest it’s not even average for accepted students and yet I earned an MD acceptance and a huge part of that was listening to the advice of people like Goro on these forums. It’s not sugar coated but it’s based in reality and it’s truths given freely. There are a lot of paid services out there that will tell you exactly what you want to hear for a couple hundred bucks at least and still won’t help you get into medical school.

You had a bad situation, many people do, and it sucks. Part of being that empathetic caring doctor you say you want to be is listening to others perspectives even if you don’t agree with it. I wish you luck in your endeavor but please do not dismiss the advice of people who have helped thousands of students here become doctors who once thought they never had a chance because of factors that make them far from the perfect pre med student.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
As everyone has said:
1. Work on your mental health and get away from your family. I come from a toxic family, with a parent who is trying to sabotage my financial aid. However, as I ADULT, I made the decision to put myself first, because I am worth it. Its my life, happiness and future on the line, not them. Therefore MENTAL HEALTH should be your first priority.

2. Have you considered applying to PA school or accelerated BSN--> NP programs. Why?
A. you are already 77K in debt.
B. Doing a SMP + taking MCAT + apply to med school = $$$.
C. You do not have to answer if you are a reapplicant + they cannot see your AMCAS history applications.
D. PhD route for science is not as easy/feasible as it sound.

3. I think everyone in this post just want you to be realistic. Getting into medical school is hard. There are people with 520+ MCAT score who did not receive a II this cycle. Keep this in mind, when formulating your strategy.

4. If you still want to apply to med school, APPLY DO. Try your luck with MD. I would not encourage Caribbean schools.

Best of luck.

You need to get rid of your parents. Theyre only going to hold you back. I havent talked to my parents in over 5 years and now i dont have that limiting factor in my life.

Its your life. Move on from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
I see too many arrogant people like you on the forums. You are an example of the sort of people med schools should reject.

Anyways, to OP.
You need to get rid of your parents. Theyre only going to hold you back. I havent talked to my parents in over 5 years and now i dont have that limiting factor in my life.

Unfortunately they didn't and neither did internship, residency, nor fellowship.

Have you started med school yet?

• Haha
  • Okay...
I see too many arrogant people like you on the forums. You are an example of the sort of people med schools should reject.

Anyways, to OP.

That's just cold.

Don't you miss your family?
Its easier for me to reject them since i was beaten nearly every week until i became an adult and left. I get chronic migraines due to head trauma and a deviated septim from the constant punches to my face.

No, I dont miss them.

OP, This is your life, you need to do whats best for yourself especially knowing that you have high potential. If u can find a balance, that's the best. But in my experience, parents cannot be rationalized with. They have too much leverage and emotional control over their kids. In such a situation where balance cannot be achieved, you cut ties towards your favor and never look back again.

Try reapplying as DO

Last edited:
  • Care
Don't you miss your family?
I would be careful asking people this going forward - *not intended to be a rude criticism at all* just a learning opportunity. Not everyone has a family that is conducive to health and safety - people deal with emotional, physical, financial, etc abuse and sometimes complete excommunication is the only option for safety/mental well being. We never know what people’s home lives are like so just something to think about in future interactions with people and/or patients!

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
They have too much leverage and emotional control over their kids.

The bolded cannot be overstated. If they choose to abuse that power over you, you might want to take that power away. You don't owe them jack ****.

Just want to update everyone, I am back as a USMD student!! I searched for advice from past mentors about my situation. And had a meeting with the Deans of my medical school and they decided to let me back in. I am on probation need to get 3.0gpa next year and need to repeat all M1 but starting next fall I am back!!!!! I started seeing a psychiatrist a while ago and cut my parents completely out of my life. Told them I am moving several states and erase all social media and change my phone number (I know not the healthiest way but it is the best way for my future). This way even when I am just 30min from them they will never know.

To be truthful I am scared about what will happen, will I even match with this red flag but But I am positive I have a fighting chance. I know with a better home environment I can concentrate and get the required grades.

Thank you all for your advice

PS: can I get a refund for a paid mcat?

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Congrats! You were very decisive and you knew what you needed to do to be successful. A lot of stress, worry, and distraction comes from being indecisive and having conflicting interests and you have solved this problem.

Move forward and don't look back until you have Dr in front of your name.

Just want to update everyone, I am back as a USMD student!! I searched for advice from past mentors about my situation. And had a meeting with the Deans of my medical school and they decided to let me back in. I am on probation need to get 3.0gpa next year and need to repeat all M1 but starting next fall I am back!!!!! I started seeing a psychiatrist a while ago and cut my parents completely out of my life. Told them I am moving several states and erase all social media and change my phone number (I know not the healthiest way but it is the best way for my future). This way even when I am just 30min from them they will never know.

To be truthful I am scared about what will happen, will I even match with this red flag but But I am positive I have a fighting chance. I know with a better home environment I can concentrate and get the required grades.

Thank you all for your advice

PS: can I get a refund for a paid mcat?
They gave me a refund last last July a day before the MCAT (I was accepted the day before my MCAT retake- lucky me!). Try calling the number on the website.

Edit: I'm happy to hear you cut your parents out and are seeing a therapist. That's a big move to make and not an easy one but I know it will pay off.

Last edited:
Am I reading this right? You had 23 publications, and 5 first author papers in 1 year of research experience...???

Am I reading this right? You had 23 publications, and 5 first author papers in 1 year of research experience...???
23 pubs before applying to medical school, I had 9 pubs with 2 first authors before starting the research year from my 4-year undergrad. So around 14 were produced in the research year

Jeez, congratulations thats huge that you got back. Wish you luck in the future, that's an impressive research portfolio going forward.

I'm really glad this worked out for you. Work hard.

Like I don't know. As antagonistic as medical school administrations can be viewed, its nice to see being honest and working with them can yield good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.