Reapply vs DO (yet again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zazu731

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made the terrible decision to apply for the first time extremely late last cycle (October) to all of my in-state schools, and was recently accepted to an in-state DO school. However, this school is extremely unestablished (less than 5 years old). In addition, the tuition is very significantly higher than that of my other in state MD/DO schools, which is hard to stomach. I do realize I should have withdrawn my application post interview and very much regret it now. My stats are very average: 3.4 cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 509 MCAT

Since the time of application submission, I have improved significantly on the ECs of my application. I began volunteering at a local clinic for homeless populations, as well as at a children's hospital. I shadowed an osteopathic family physician, and conducted research at an outpatient cardiology clinic which was presented at a national conference. I was also hired as a full time ER scribe, and one of the physicians I work with has agreed to write a letter for me. If I do reapply, I will have accumulated about 3500 hours in clinical exposure via scribing alone.

I should add, I do have a history of struggle with personal illness since childhood, which I have been told makes my personal statements one of my strong points. Also, my top choice school would be my one of my in-state MD schools, where my dad did his medical fellowship. I grew up in that area, a relatively remote place, and therefore have a strong personal connection with the town. The physician who agreed to write me the letter also went to medical school there. Additionally, I'm not 100% what I want to specialize in, but I know that family practice/IM is not for me.

At this point, my question is basically this - would it be crazy to turn down the DO and go the reapply route? I would apply both in-state and out of state, but would the fact that I turned down an in-state DO acceptance hurt my chances in-state? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Bird in the hand, my friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I made the terrible decision to apply for the first time extremely late last cycle (October) to all of my in-state schools, and was recently accepted to an in-state DO school. However, this school is extremely unestablished (less than 5 years old). In addition, the tuition is very significantly higher than that of my other in state MD/DO schools, which is hard to stomach. I do realize I should have withdrawn my application post interview and very much regret it now. My stats are very average: 3.4 cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 509 MCAT

Since the time of application submission, I have improved significantly on the ECs of my application. I began volunteering at a local clinic for homeless populations, as well as at a children's hospital. I shadowed an osteopathic family physician, and conducted research at an outpatient cardiology clinic which was presented at a national conference. I was also hired as a full time ER scribe, and one of the physicians I work with has agreed to write a letter for me. If I do reapply, I will have accumulated about 3500 hours in clinical exposure via scribing alone.

I should add, I do have a history of struggle with personal illness since childhood, which I have been told makes my personal statements one of my strong points. Also, my top choice school would be my one of my in-state MD schools, where my dad did his medical fellowship. I grew up in that area, a relatively remote place, and therefore have a strong personal connection with the town. The physician who agreed to write me the letter also went to medical school there. Additionally, I'm not 100% what I want to specialize in, but I know that family practice/IM is not for me.

At this point, my question is basically this - would it be crazy to turn down the DO and go the reapply route? I would apply both in-state and out of state, but would the fact that I turned down an in-state DO acceptance hurt my chances in-state? Thanks in advance!
A couple of things to consider:
1) your chances at MD are low with your pretty low GPA and below average MCAT (unless you're URM)
2) you're accepted to an in-state DO, I'd take it unless you want to do an SMP or post-bacc then reapply after to MD after that... still no guarantee you'd be accepted though.
3) Reject this DO acceptance and you will likely be blacklisted by that DO for the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are not average for MD. They are low. Very low. Unfortunately, this may be your shot. I mean maybe try an SMP?

Everyone is a Scribe and has a doctor who thinks they'd make a good one.

Look at how their grads are doing. Maybe @Goro might be familiar with the school?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

If you're boning for the MD, then withdraw the accept and go for an SMP. Unless you live in a very lucky state, your GPAs are not competitive for MD.
Unless the school is LUCOM, WCU or LMU, then you have my blessing to withdraw the accept.

Tough spot OP. Since your stats are so low for MD, SMP is probably your only shot and even then it's not a guarantee. It also adds around 50k of expenses which would offset how much your DO in state school is. IMO best move is to take DO acceptance and crush boards. Good luck!