This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken-n-beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cycle did not go very well. I had my last (2nd) interview in early March and I'm waiting to hear back in the next week or so. Additionally, I was accepted to a PhD program (mind you, with a tuition waiver and stipend) and wonder if a 3rd application cycle even makes sense at this point. I'm not necessarily opposed to doing a PhD but I worked so very hard to be able to practice medicine but it seems like no matter what I do, I'm not being accepted. My biggest fear is trying a 3rd time and being rejected again. Also, I don't know how I would get recommendation letters for another cycle. I literally did a Medical masters and was still not able to even interview at the school where I earned the Masters. It just seems like this process is so very non-objective and unfair and designed to cull so many applicants. To further complicate things, I don't have a job right now despite trying very hard to find one. I'm really just hoping that my last interview turns to an acceptance because I'm not to interested in having to apply again. Would applying after a PhD makes any sense? I appreciate any advice because at this point, I'm lost.

Members don't see this ad.

i think people here will need to know the details of your application (#'s, EC hours, etc.) to help you.

if you have an inadequate application, it doesn't make sense to apply again. applying again without changing anything doesn't make sense, and doing a PhD just so you can apply to medical school again in 5-6 years also does not make sense.

i think people here will need to know the details of your application (#'s, EC hours, etc.) to help you.

if you have an inadequate application, it doesn't make sense to apply again. applying again without changing anything doesn't make sense, and doing a PhD just so you can apply to medical school again in 5-6 years also does not make sense.
sGPA: 3.0, cGPA:3.20; gGPA (medical masters)-3.7, close to 3.8-all science classes

MCAT:508

Volunteered at local health department-about 100-200 hours
Shadowing over a long period of time between 2 doctors
Community center volunteer
Leadership in a STEM outreach organization
Years of research experience in undergrad

This was my second cycle

My biggest concern is trying to improve and still not being accepted and, also, trying to get letters for a third cycle. I have a PhD offer and don't know if I should turn it down. Additionally, I'm supposed to be hearing back with a decision from my last interview in the next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly want to become a doctor which is a vastly different career trajectory than that of a PhD, I think you owe yourself at least one more application cycle, which probably should be focused on mostly DO schools.

One year may seem like a long time now but it is a drop in the bucket compared to having to do your 2nd choice for a profession for the rest of your life. With your stats your chances should be fantastic if you apply broadly to DO schools, so it just doesn't make sense to give up without trying that.

Reactions: 1 user
If you truly want to become a doctor which is a vastly different career trajectory than that of a PhD, I think you owe yourself at least one more application cycle, which probably should be focused on mostly DO schools.

One year may seem like a long time now but it is a drop in the bucket compared to having to do your 2nd choice for a profession for the rest of your life. With your stats your chances should be fantastic if you apply broadly to DO schools, so it just doesn't make sense to give up without trying that.

How should I approach getting LORs if I'm no longer in an academic program?

I think your best bet would be reaching out to the people who wrote your letters last cycle and asking if they would be willing to resend them for this year's cycle. I would probably shoot an email that opens with thanking them for their support and reminding them who you are then you can mention your situation and mention how you need letters for another cycle.

How old are some of your LORs? I planned to apply in 2021 and got my LORs from that year. I ended up not applying and when I reached out to ask for an updated LOR, only 1 responded and updated their letter. It wasn’t ideal, but you work with what you have sometimes.

sGPA: 3.0, cGPA:3.20; gGPA (medical masters)-3.7, close to 3.8-all science classes

MCAT:508

Volunteered at local health department-about 100-200 hours
Shadowing over a long period of time between 2 doctors
Community center volunteer
Leadership in a STEM outreach organization
Years of research experience in undergrad

This was my second cycle

My biggest concern is trying to improve and still not being accepted and, also, trying to get letters for a third cycle. I have a PhD offer and don't know if I should turn it down. Additionally, I'm supposed to be hearing back with a decision from my last interview in the next week.

Is a medical master's the same as a postbacc or SMP? If not, you'll need to do a post-bacc to improve your GPA. My first impression here is that your uGPA is very low for both MD and DO. IIRC a GPA that low warrants a post-bacc program of some sort. I'm unsure what a medical masters is, but most master's programs GPAs will not demonstrate to admission committees that you'd be able to handle the rigor of medical school.

It would help if we knew the hours for your other activities and what you deemed as your most meaningful activities. 100-200hrs is a big range, but both ends of that range are kinda low for volunteering if you've had two cycles at this point (unless those hours were documented under a different activity).

Before worrying about LORs, I'd first get someone to really help you put together a solid primary application (high post-bacc GPA, more hours in activities with meaningful and compelling descriptions, and a solid personal statement).

If this is really what you want, then you can definitely make it (evidenced by your 2 interviews), but I think you need to be more deliberate/strategic since what you've been showing to adcoms so far has not been working out.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Is a medical master's the same as a postbacc or SMP? If not, you'll need to do a post-bacc to improve your GPA. My first impression here is that your uGPA is very low for both MD and DO. IIRC a GPA that low warrants a post-bacc program of some sort. I'm unsure what a medical masters is, but most master's programs GPAs will not demonstrate to admission committees that you'd be able to handle the rigor of medical school.

It would help if we knew the hours for your other activities and what you deemed as your most meaningful activities. 100-200hrs is a big range, but both ends of that range are kinda low for volunteering if you've had two cycles at this point (unless those hours were documented under a different activity).

Before worrying about LORs, I'd first get someone to really help you put together a solid primary application (high post-bacc GPA, more hours in activities with meaningful and compelling descriptions, and a solid personal statement).

If this is really what you want, then you can definitely make it (evidenced by your 2 interviews), but I think you need to be more deliberate/strategic since what you've been showing to adcoms so far has not been working out.
I'm done with this forum. How is a medical masters that mimics medical school coursework not enough? Yes, technically an application could always be better but at some point, this process is just stupid and unfair. I'm over it.

Seeing how unfair this process seems, rolling the dice a third time seems insane. If I've been accepted to a PhD program and already have a Masters, why would I go back and do a post-bacc? This whole process is so completely absurd.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.