Anyone is still waiting for MCPHS(Boston) and LIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also apply St. John Fisher, they put me in the waiting list also, and LECOM Erie, they put me on the alternate list. It will be so funny, if none of them accept me. I feel so depressed recently, my friend told me I have hope, but I don't know if it will become true or not?

which school are you in now? do you have any experience. if you do, you may have high chance to get in

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a cc of CUNY right now, I do have research experiment for more than 1 yr, and I went to brookhaven national laboratory doing research last summer, I hope this will helps, but I don't have pharmacy assistant experiment.

I got my letter! But the problem is i'm doing rather poorly in physics and I'm afraid that they will take it away from me.
I got my letter from LIU,too, I am also worried about my organic2, the best I can get is probably a B+or A-, and they did not specify what GPA standard we need to maintain in order to get fully accepted? do you know anything about that?

I'm so excited as well as a little worried

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my letter from LIU,too, I am also worried about my organic2, the best I can get is probably a B+or A-, and they did not specify what GPA standard we need to maintain in order to get fully accepted? do you know anything about that?

I'm so excited as well as a little worried

are all you guys transfer students? do you know anything about waitlist if you did not invite for interview

are all you guys transfer students? do you know anything about waitlist if you did not invite for interview
yeah,i'm a transfer. I don't know much about the waitlist, and I was on another school's waiting list too, have no idea what is going on. you might want to call them to find out where you stand,good luck!

I got rejected. =(

Does anyone know how to write a letter of appeal?

wohoooooooooo I got accepted at last. I am an out of state applicant. GPA around 3.87. Bachelors degree in biochemistry. Certified pharmacy tecnician as well

I got rejected. =(

Does anyone know how to write a letter of appeal?

That's hard to believe since you have a 3.8 from what you said earlier. PharmCAS really isn't a forgiving or fair system, unlike what some other people here will tell you.

Listen, a person who fails a class once, should not have to blow another $15,000 to take upper level courses to boost their GPA, and wait a year or two to make it into Pharmacy school. All they should have to do is retake the course and the new grade counts.

And about your question for appeals, well I guess you just have to explain as well as you can about why you should be in the program and why the decision should be overturned.

Is there any out of state persons who plan on going to LIU, pm me please

My LIU gpa is a 3.88 (which is what I was told would count before I paid over $35,000 in tuition) My Pharmcas gpa is closer to 3.0.. I switched my majors multiple times to before I narrowed it down to pharmacy. 3 semesters at LIU do not outweigh 7 semesters of bad grades. I am a different person now than the careless freshman/sophmore/even junior I used to be. I would attribute my bad grades to truly having no passion for the other fields I pursued (engineering, business, landscape, hotel, etc) I aced orgo the first time I took it and I realized, I'm probably one of the very few who can say "I raised my gpa with orgo." So here I am, knowing 110% that pharmacy is my forte (Trust me, I've tried everything else), but having a very long history of bad grades from other majors that bring me down. I got a 92 composite score on the PCATs. I know all the sciences pretty darn well. I've even aced all the pre-pharm courses I took at LIU.--Heck, I was TUTORING half of my classmates in bio. And it's still not enough. I think one thing I should fix is getting a pharmacy job again. I work at Starbucks right now because it's near my house. And the funny thing is, that one of my customers works for walgreens offered me an internship. I applied and they were going to give me instead a permanent part time position, but walgreens only takes 3rd year pharm students so I had to rescind that application. They called me from 3 different stores offering me a position, and I painfully had to turn each of them down. AHHHH. :cry:

My LIU gpa is a 3.88 (which is what I was told would count before I paid over $35,000 in tuition) My Pharmcas gpa is closer to 3.0.. I switched my majors multiple times to before I narrowed it down to pharmacy. 3 semesters at LIU do not outweigh 7 semesters of bad grades.

Im still new at all this...but can someone explain how the pharmcas gpa is different from a university gpa? Do they use a different scoring formula:confused:

My LIU gpa is a 3.88 (which is what I was told would count before I paid over $35,000 in tuition) My Pharmcas gpa is closer to 3.0.. I switched my majors multiple times to before I narrowed it down to pharmacy. 3 semesters at LIU do not outweigh 7 semesters of bad grades.

Im still new at all this...but can someone explain how the pharmcas gpa is different from a university gpa? Do they use a different scoring formula:confused:

Your pharmcas gpa will only differ from your university gpa if you've gone to more than one school. pharmcas combines all university grades into one.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, because PharmCAS counts all grades when you retake classes. LIU only counts the higher GPA.

So if someone had a 4.0 before they took Organic Chem, and failed it. Their GPA would fall to like a 3.3 for one semester, but once they retook Organic Chem and got an A, it would rise back to a 4.0.

Hey, guys. I need help, I was wondering if somebody can gives me some advice. I was put on the waitinglist for LIU, I was wondering how many chance I can get into? And normally how many people they put onto the waitinglist? Actually, this semester I get one sholarship from my school, and a state wide research award. All these are not in my pharmcas personal information. If I write a letter for the admission office, and tell them what I did for this semester. I don't known whether it will increase my chance to get into the school?

Yes, because PharmCAS counts all grades when you retake classes. LIU only counts the higher GPA.

So if someone had a 4.0 before they took Organic Chem, and failed it. Their GPA would fall to like a 3.3 for one semester, but once they retook Organic Chem and got an A, it would rise back to a 4.0.

OK so who makes the final decision if u make it in, Pharmcas or LIU? What GPA will LIU look at first the pharmcas or theirs?

LIU makes the final decision. PharmCAS is just a way for the schools to have much less paperwork.

The thing is, LIU has a forgiving GPA policy about retaking classes, when PharmCAS does not have a forgiving policy.

So, a LIU student uses PharmCAS, their GPA is much lower if they have retaken classes.

Does everyone hear back from LIU and MCPHS? can you guys share with us?

i haven't heard anything from MCPHS, but i was wondering if u guys know the graduation rate of MCPHS Boston because i cant find any source except wikipedia which says its apparently 60 something percent.

Anyone knows what 's wrong with LIU; for MCPHS if we did not get rejected letter last two weeks, does it mean we have chance to get in.

LIU still has not sent me anything, while everyone I know has been rejected or waitlisted.

I'm thinking that LIU really doesn't care if you are a LIU Pre-Pharm or a Transfer.

did you say that even though we get rejected, we won't get rejected letter.

Do u guys think we will have a decision in the mail by the 15th or are they going to send out their decision on the 15th?

I applied as a transfer student at MCPHS Boston - last Friday I called them - they said it will take another 2 weeks for decisions. I did get an e-mail earlier in April that 3rd year seats are filled up so they were considering me for 2nd year - not sure what else is going on - anyone heard anything from MCPHS?

Funny enough, i am still on the MCPHS-boston waiting list and when i called them, they said i should wait another two weeks which i don't understand. Classes starts on sep 2nd and how am i suppose to get loans, accommodation and all other necessary things done before then. I have decided to send them a letter reiterating my interest in the school n see if i may still have a chance. Can anyone tell me what else to expect? what do you think is going on? please help

Funny enough, i am still on the MCPHS-boston waiting list and when i called them, they said i should wait another two weeks which i don't understand. Classes starts on sep 2nd and how am i suppose to get loans, accommodation and all other necessary things done before then. I have decided to send them a letter reiterating my interest in the school n see if i may still have a chance. Can anyone tell me what else to expect? what do you think is going on? please help

I think most schools will tell you that you will remain on the waiting list as long as the semester has not started yet. I have a friend who was pulled off of the waiting list for a pharmacy school in Michigan a few days before school started because an accepted student decided dropped out at that time. Situations like this can occur. However, at this point in the game, it's probably reasonable to have some concrete backup plans since it is pretty late in the process. Are waiting to get into their 2nd or 3rd year program? Have you been accepted anywhere else?

It is for the 3rd year entry, i didn't get accepted in any school and i am just contemplating to go ahead and reapply to the worcester campus this cycle. I need to start reapplying now and submitting my documents. what's you advice?

Hi guys, I am in Boston. I will apply for MCPHS. Please tell me what does LIU stand for? Is that a person's name or just an abbreviation? Thanks a lot!
oh, go ask admission office tomorrow since you are in liu

can you guys, who got in or got an interview from liu and/or mcphs share your stats. im a liu pre-pharm student with a 3.4, hopefully raise it up after fall 2008 for the 2009 cycle. Do I have a good chance at getting an interview? Also, anyone know if liu has a preference for internal students or those who take honors classes? thanks

can you guys, who got in or got an interview from liu and/or mcphs share your stats. im a liu pre-pharm student with a 3.4, hopefully raise it up after fall 2008 for the 2009 cycle. Do I have a good chance at getting an interview? Also, anyone know if liu has a preference for internal students or those who take honors classes? thanks

LIU does still have preference for internal students. They will interview an internal student with a 2.9 GPA, while probably 3.3+ for transfers. As for acceptances, about 90% internal and 10% transfer.

^ Really? How do you know? Im asking becuase I remembering speaking to my advisor last semester and she told me that liu accepted 125 internal and around 80 transfers, which seems like an awful lot.

^ Really? How do you know? Im asking becuase I remembering speaking to my advisor last semester and she told me that liu accepted 125 internal and around 80 transfers, which seems like an awful lot.

Hmm, it seems a lot. I don't know the exact stats myself, but I have always been hearing 200 internal and 20 transfers.

heard NOTHING from boston, tried to contact the admission department. no luck. all they tell me is, Check PharmCAS updates ! Actually they are quite mean people. The tone of the email and when they talk on the phone is not very nice.
LIU: didnt apply, but i heard they sent out their last email for the interview call.
GOOD LUCK !

I honestly got the same vibe from MCPHS..

anyway, good luck :)

for MCPHS Boston, if I am going to graduate after my Spring 2009 quarter, and will receive my Bachelor's then, do I need to send in my HS transcript? B/c someone told me that by the time you apply and you do not have a HS transcript, then you will need to send your HS transcript directly to the school? does anyone know if that is right or not? thanks.

ive been hearing that LIU doesnt give preference anymore to LIU students. There is nothing on pharmcas about transfers.:confused:

ive been hearing that LIU doesnt give preference anymore to LIU students. There is nothing on pharmcas about transfers.:confused:

LIU usually takes 230-240 people. The reason being that they expect that some people are going to change their minds on the career or they fall below the 2.3 GPA required to stay in the program.

I know quite a few people from the 2007 Entering Class who failed out.

LIU usually takes 230-240 people. The reason being that they expect that some people are going to change their minds on the career or they fall below the 2.3 GPA required to stay in the program.

I know quite a few people from the 2007 Entering Class who failed out.

There is a total of 219 students in the P3 class right now.

There is a total of 219 students in the P3 class right now.

so have some people already failed out for this year? Or was that the number for the entering class?

hey lildumbn89, just wondering what would u say is the most challenging class in P3?

so have some people already failed out for this year? Or was that the number for the entering class?

hey lildumbn89, just wondering what would u say is the most challenging class in P3?

I am pretty sure there were 219 of us from the first day of class.

Most challenging class? hmm. We have not taken a class in every subject yet, but I can tell you that tests are not so easy. Physiology/Pathophysiology gave many people a shock.

Hi, did anyone do the online chat w/ boston today? I missed it.

When is the Pharmcas app due for LIU???? I thought it was due January 5 but it sounds like the due date already passed since people sound like they send everything in and already got in. Please don't say it's the case, b/c I was planning to send my stuff by the end of Nov/early Dec. **** :(

Have any one heard any thing from Boston yet? If yes, how long does it take from the time you send application to receive their acknowledgment?

I am pretty sure there were 219 of us from the first day of class.

Most challenging class? hmm. We have not taken a class in every subject yet, but I can tell you that tests are not so easy. Physiology/Pathophysiology gave many people a shock.

Yeah, I was talking about the people I knew from the current P4 class.

Physiology/Pathophysiology is gonna be a shocker at LIU until they actually make Physiology a requirement. I saw some of the tests they were giving to the P3 students last year, and they weren't too different from the tests I was getting in the regular human physiology course, which they require for nursing majors but not for pharmacy majors.