Anyone here not a part of APMA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billBOB213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting tired of paying the fees, and not seeing a great deal of benefit besides the 'resources' online. Flirting with the idea of letting my membership expire and seeing if anyone on here has done this and what are ramifications if any.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thought about it too, I feel like they do a lot of legislative stuff behind the scenes, I'll hear sprinklings of "victories" every now and then. I wish all these organizations communicate better what they're doing for us

Reactions: 1 user
This gonna be good. :corny:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re better off spending that money on something else. Get ready for an APMA rep to come in and glorify it.

Reactions: 1 users
Not trying to start anything, but lets face it we have alot of fees in our field. Asking a legit question, and if the APMA wants to come in and glorify then please do, as maybe I am missing something and they can help me out.

Boards exams/qualification/certifications, CME, ACFAS, APMA, local APMA chapters, State licensing just to name a few.

So if anyone here isn't a part of it please let me know your thoughts too, thanks

I am still part of the APMA... I am thinking about dropping it too. I thought about getting involved at the state level but I just want to work and go home at this point.

I will not be an APMA member in December. I withdrew from the state organization and they are bundled together everywhere I’ve been. It was because of the state organization being cowards and so I will no longer be given them money until they actually support the majority of their membership instead of trying to make orthopedic surgeons happy.

There is literally zero ramifications. If you aren’t using the resources then there is no reason to be an APMA member or an ACFAS member for that matter. I mean, if everyone withdrew from APMA it probably wouldn’t exist which means no pooling of $ for some beneficial lobbying and litigation stuff they might actually participate in/accomplish. That’s the argument to be made in terms of membership…for the good of the profession, not necessarily you personally.

Reactions: 5 users
I will not be an APMA member in December. I withdrew from the state organization and they are bundled together everywhere I’ve been. It was because of the state organization being cowards and so I will no longer be given them money until they actually support the majority of their membership instead of trying to make orthopedic surgeons happy.

There is literally zero ramifications. If you aren’t using the resources then there is no reason to be an APMA member or an ACFAS member for that matter. I mean, if everyone withdrew from APMA it probably wouldn’t exist which means no pooling of $ for some beneficial lobbying and litigation stuff they might actually participate in/accomplish. That’s the argument to be made in terms of membership…for the good of the profession, not necessarily you personally.

I may be wrong, but isn't ACFAS tied to ABFAS in some crazy way? Like if you're ABFAS board certified but not a member of ACFAS you can't advertise yourself as FACFAS or something dumb like that?

I may be wrong, but isn't ACFAS tied to ABFAS in some crazy way? Like if you're ABFAS board certified but not a member of ACFAS you can't advertise yourself as FACFAS or something dumb like that?

ABFAS is the certifying board for surgical podiatrists. Akin to American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. If someone writes DABFAS, it means they are a diplomat of the board aka you passed boards and are certified.

ACFAS is the professional college/club for “foot and ankle plastic nerve surgeons” akin to American Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Society

If you join ACFAS (the college) - you can join as someone who is not board certified - you are an associate of the college.

If you join ACFAS, and you join as someone who is board certified, you are a fellow of the college. Now, you get to write: FACFAS at the end of your name,

If you are an associate of the college, you write : AACFAS.

Did anybody else mispronounce akin as they were reading that?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
ha! me too

"Tell me your a pod w/o telling me your a pod..."

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)

This is what I was looking for.
I work for a hospital that will pay for my APMA membership and mine is also bundled with a state chapter so it's around $1500 for the year. That seems really high. I would rather allocate those CME funds to conferences or boards certification.
Thanks for the help

6 years out have never been a member. The three states I have practiced in none of them have required it although I don't know how that stuff works. Never been a member never going to be a member unless somebody else is paying it. Although now I do have 5K of CME and no idea how I'm going to spend that each year so maybe I will get a membership

6 years out have never been a member. The three states I have practiced in none of them have required it although I don't know how that stuff works. Never been a member never going to be a member unless somebody else is paying it. Although now I do have 5K of CME and no idea how I'm going to spend that each year so maybe I will get a membership

How about the IFAF conference in Hawaii? A new phone/laptop/monitor. Scrubs. Shoes. Maybe a conference in SLC for some skiing. Far better return than APMA :)

• Haha
I haven't been an APMA member since they did young member discount... I don't see the value. It's never hurt me.
My membership was also back when APMA membership was required to join ACFAS (before that logical dust-up).

I have no idea what the APMA full renew rates even are now, but it was near $2000/yr between my national and local dues... for a garbage journal and discounts to garbage meetings? Not the best use of money if you have student loans... or are saving up for a practice or buy in... or want a vacation... or need a car repair... or any other reason whatsoever.

Even if you have a big CME allowance to spend or lose, the value from APMA doesn't seem good. I think the new schools thing is really bonkers, and that's where some significant APMA money is being channeled. APMA membership was a basically -sometimes absolutely - required thing for DPMs for many decades, and as a monopoly, I don't think there was any real need to provide good value. That resulted in a lot of inefficiency, skimming, fat cats, and ballooned structure. These days, even if joining APMA was paid for, I'd tell the employer to save it or let me buy books, videos, clinic equipment, etc instead. I would reconsider if I saw any actual CME or serious residency development/improvements or overall member value from APMA (outside promises and pressure of "reimbursements" and "scope" and "parity" and "gotta stick together").

You have to get the best quality of CME for the money and time spent (books, conf, vids, boards, etc), and ACFAS associate/fellow is roughly one third to one half the cost. APMA is not even close in CME quality in my eyes... unless you are hunting for articles that failed to make JFAS (or any decent F&A journal) and "scientific" meetings with mostly info-mercial wound sponsored lectures, fungal cream booths, foot soaks, miracle spa, grafts with no EBM, etc. It was TFP central when I attended the national/regional meetings as a student. It made me nervous about my upcoming career... but thankfully, it was a night-and-day difference versus attending PI or ACFAS meetings. I don't love the ACFAS fellowship push either (should be a residency push and QA!), but that's still advancing the state of the art and sure a lot better than opening new schools for the sake of opening schools a la pharmacy.

...The only thing I find of value from APMA is the CodingLine resource for CPT/ICD lookup (and that's basically a separate thing that just affiliates with APMA). I simply pay the non-member rate on that and anything else APMA that I want (occasional local meeting, etc). The local APMA conferences can be hit or miss depending on the DPMs in the area; those are sometimes worth a look if you know and like local ppl... I've had fair exp at those in some places I've practiced (just paid non-member rate). I do donate the national/local APMA PAC or to my pod school and plan to help my residency, but I can throttle that $ amount and do it if or when I want based on my desire or cash flow... no dues notice for zero value. That's just what works for me.

Not trying to start anything, but lets face it we have alot of fees in our field. Asking a legit question, and if the APMA wants to come in and glorify then please do, as maybe I am missing something and they can help me out.

Boards exams/qualification/certifications, CME, ACFAS, APMA, local APMA chapters, State licensing just to name a few.

So if anyone here isn't a part of it please let me know your thoughts too, thanks
Correct ^^^

There are also the many others like AAPSM or AAPPM that have some value for niche meetings or pubs or info.
The core expenses for all DPMs are boards, CME, orgs joined (usually from limited CME budget)... and then state lic, hospitals, malprac (employer covered typically - but substantial if 1099 or solo/owner).

This gonna be good. :corny:
You're welcome.
Gotta rip the band aid off sometime? Only ~15% of MDs are in AMA. If there's not value to be had, can't waste $$$.

Last edited:
I never became APMA member. Never been to the national. Go to ACFAS sometimes but also not a member.

ABFAS and ABPM
State license
CME (do it online now because it's cheaper)

Hospital pays 5k for CME so I usually go to some low key podiatry or vascular conference in a nice location and take family with so it's a vacation

Reactions: 2 users
Our local society is tied to the state podiatry organization that is also tied to APMA. So gotta join all 3 at the same time.
Just not worth the $$$. Plus I am very nonsocial and seeing older DPMs at some society dinners make me super nervous. I'd rather cook at home with my family.
The only valuable resource APMA sorta provides is the coding seminars. But...I bill simple one line CPTs most of the time for my procedures so no need to learn all that fancy coding combinations. I also sleep better that way.

I’m only in my second year out. Last year I was considering signing up to be a member, but what quickly changed my mind was for about 2 months I got what sounded like a sales call EVERY SINGLE DAY . My mistake for answering once, but the person on the line was pressing the membership like a sale and that allowed me to see the desperation and I decided against it. I don’t plan on becoming a member unless my employer pays the fee.

I went to work today and asked if were APMA members. I was glad to learn we were not but saddened to miss out on an opportunity to slash $4K from the budget.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not. Here's how I'm currently being bled dry:

ABPM
ABFAS
ACFAS
State License
PICA
DEA License
Miscellaneous State Cert License
Hospital Staff x 4

I don't even go to in-person CME meetings and do everything virtually so the APMA discount means nothing to me.

I just let my membership lapse and I will not be renewing. I’ve had enough of APMA. I’m double boarded and involved in a number of organizations. APMA does nothing for me and letting it go does nothing to me professionally.

Dropped out several years ago. I would write the check for our office and it was over $35,000 a year for our doctors.

I kick myself for not investing that money in something worthwhile.

They are self serving so when officers move on they can lecture, own pieces of companies, etc.

Save your money. Send it to NaTch, he goes through a lot of tires on that mountain bike.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Send it to NaTch, he goes through a lot of tires on that mountain bike.
^THIS!!!!! Thank you, those things aren't cheap. Pandemic pricing and all...

I used to be a loyal APMA member for about the first ten years of my career. I paid my annual dues on time, went to a few state conferences, and wondered why none of my colleagues in town weren't a part of the club. Then the representative from our state society started calling regularly to ask for more money. He never called my colleagues to try to talk them into joining. Instead, he kept calling the one guy in town who was already a member! Who came up with that plan?

I never took his calls (because I was WORKING) and I never called him back. He then wrote me an angry letter telling me off. "How do you know I wasn't calling about a patient???" (because you live 100 miles away and you would've/should've said you were calling about a patient if that were the case). The angry letter said, "You can hold your own water." I took that as my cue to resign from the OPMA/APMA and to never look back. I still have that letter taped to my office wall as a reminder to never consider being a member again.

NatCh -- holding my own water since c. 2010

^THIS!!!!! Thank you, those things aren't cheap. Pandemic pricing and all...

I used to be a loyal APMA member for about the first ten years of my career. I paid my annual dues on time, went to a few state conferences, and wondered why none of my colleagues in town weren't a part of the club. Then the representative from our state society started calling regularly to ask for more money. He never called my colleagues to try to talk them into joining. Instead, he kept calling the one guy in town who was already a member! Who came up with that plan?

I never took his calls (because I was WORKING) and I never called him back. He then wrote me an angry letter telling me off. "How do you know I wasn't calling about a patient???" (because you live 100 miles away and you would've/should've said you were calling about a patient if that were the case). The angry letter said, "You can hold your own water." I took that as my cue to resign from the OPMA/APMA and to never look back. I still have that letter taped to my office wall as a reminder to never consider being a member again.

NatCh -- holding my own water since c. 2010

Weren’t you worried at that time how you were going to get the latest important information on which sneakers are the best for balance or what lacquer is best for nail fungus?

Weren’t you worried at that time how you were going to get the latest important information on which sneakers are the best for balance or what lacquer is best for nail fungus?
Oh very! I also was concerned that I might miss a memo stating that flip flops were no longer dangerous.

Thanks for all the replies, super helpful.
Since starting the thread I’ve gotten a bunch of calls and emails from the APMA, asking for my funds and using some scare tactics to get me back. I didn’t think it would really affect me if I wasn’t a member, and I’m glad to hear from others that it doesn’t.
We pay for enough every year, if it doesn’t provide some benefit it’s gotta go.

Thanks for all the replies, super helpful.
Since starting the thread I’ve gotten a bunch of calls and emails from the APMA, asking for my funds and using some scare tactics to get me back. I didn’t think it would really affect me if I wasn’t a member, and I’m glad to hear from others that it doesn’t.
We pay for enough every year, if it doesn’t provide some benefit it’s gotta go.
Let's discuss your avatar photo. That's from a Red Bull Rampage event, is it not?

Lol possibly
I’m not big time like you, but I did grow up in Las Vegas and used to mountain bike a ton (mostly trail riding), and would go up to UT as well to ride.
But ya, I’ve dialed it down a lot since I’ve been practicing….I’m now into Pickleball, I’m so hard core 😂