Program-Specific Info / Q's Anyone apply to MUSC early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm out of state. I called this morning to ask about my general position on the waitlist. Dr. Bowman was nice about answering my question, although I did get the impression that accepting out of state students is more of a gamble for them since a lot of the time they end up choosing to go to a school in their home state. When he was explaining that I just wanted to be like, I promise you don't have to worry about that with me!!! After the fact I'm wishing I said something... but oh well. They definitely have out of state and in state on two different lists, but I'm not sure what that means for how they choose people off the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm out of state. I called this morning to ask about my general position on the waitlist. Dr. Bowman was nice about answering my question, although I did get the impression that accepting out of state students is more of a gamble for them since a lot of the time they end up choosing to go to a school in their home state. When he was explaining that I just wanted to be like, I promise you don't have to worry about that with me!!! After the fact I'm wishing I said something... but oh well. They definitely have out of state and in state on two different lists, but I'm not sure what that means for how they choose people off the waitlist.
did he respond with any helpful info about your position on the waitlist??

Members don't see this ad :)
He did! I asked about just my general position per bhansen2's suggestion. He gave me a general idea and then summed it up by saying that I could be accepted or I could not be. It just depends on how many people decline their acceptance offer. He also said that applicants accepted off the waitlist usually hear back by the end of April, but that sometimes it's a little later because someone changes their mind at the last minute.

I am out of state! I was wait listed first, but then moved off of the wait list!

He did! I asked about just my general position per bhansen2's suggestion. He gave me a general idea and then summed it up by saying that I could be accepted or I could not be. It just depends on how many people decline their acceptance offer. He also said that applicants accepted off the waitlist usually hear back by the end of April, but that sometimes it's a little later because someone changes their mind at the last minute.
Hey lch0005, would you mind telling me what exactly he said regarding your position on the waitlist? I'm not trying to be nosey, i'm just trying to get a little better idea of how the waitlist is structured. He told me (several weeks ago) that I would not be the next one offered acceptance but that I wasn't too far down the list. Did he tell you something similar? Did he actually say that there are different list for in state vs out of state students?

Hey lch0005, would you mind telling me what exactly he said regarding your position on the waitlist? I'm not trying to be nosey, i'm just trying to get a little better idea of how the waitlist is structured. He told me (several weeks ago) that I would not be the next one offered acceptance but that I wasn't too far down the list. Did he tell you something similar? Did he actually say that there are different list for in state vs out of state students?
Sure! He told me that I wasn't number 1 and I wasn't 20, but somewhere in between. So, not super specific, but helpful to at least have an idea. He didn't actually say that there are two different lists, but the two times I've called (first about the waitlist or rejection confusion, second about my position) when he asked me my name he also asked if I was in state or out of state. I kind of assumed they must have two different lists if he's asking that, although I suppose it could just be another criteria to search for someone on the list.

So I just got off the phone with him. There are in fact 2 wait lists for in state and out of state. He said they take about 50/50 but because people from out of state are less likely to decline...they may get further down the wait list for out of state. On the other hand, most in state applicants accept their position so being closer to the top on that list may still be challenging to actually be taken off the list.

Reactions: 1 user
So he actually said that out of state applicants are less likely to decline an acceptance offer? I don't really understand that. Did you mean to type that out of state applicants are MORE likely to decline?

Sure! He told me that I wasn't number 1 and I wasn't 20, but somewhere in between. So, not super specific, but helpful to at least have an idea. He didn't actually say that there are two different lists, but the two times I've called (first about the waitlist or rejection confusion, second about my position) when he asked me my name he also asked if I was in state or out of state. I kind of assumed they must have two different lists if he's asking that, although I suppose it could just be another criteria to search for someone on the list.
I spoke with Dr. Bowman today and he told me that I am not number one on the list but that i'm not far down it either. I'm trying to get a better idea of where I am on the list and I feel like swapping stats with each other will help us both get a better idea of where we stand. So my stats are...

B.S., Exercise Science for The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina
Cum GPA: 3.78 (Slated to graduate Magna Cum Laude)
Pre Req GPA: somewhere around 3.8
Volunteer Service: 140 hours in outpatient OT setting with CHT
100+ hours in Geriatric/Hospice at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
50+ hours in Prosthetics at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
GRE: Verbal (151) Quantitative Reasoning (148) Writing (3.5) These are definitely holding me back
I have some other work experiences that are relevant to my application but I feel like this is a solid overview.

Would the rest of you mind sharing your stats if you haven't already? I feel like it will help us all gain a little better understanding about where we stand.

So he actually said that out of state applicants are less likely to decline an acceptance offer? I don't really understand that. Did you mean to type that out of state applicants are MORE likely to decline?
right my bad!! out of state applicants are MORE likely to decline.....less likely to accept the offer

I spoke with Dr. Bowman today and he told me that I am not number one on the list but that i'm not far down it either. I'm trying to get a better idea of where I am on the list and I feel like swapping stats with each other will help us both get a better idea of where we stand. So my stats are...

B.S., Exercise Science for The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina
Cum GPA: 3.78 (Slated to graduate Magna Cum Laude)
Pre Req GPA: somewhere around 3.8
Volunteer Service: 140 hours in outpatient OT setting with CHT
100+ hours in Geriatric/Hospice at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
50+ hours in Prosthetics at Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center
GRE: Verbal (151) Quantitative Reasoning (148) Writing (3.5) These are definitely holding me back
I have some other work experiences that are relevant to my application but I feel like this is a solid overview.

Would the rest of you mind sharing your stats if you haven't already? I feel like it will help us all gain a little better understanding about where we stand.
Wow I can't believe you are on the waitlist! You're definitely ahead of me haha our gre scores are pretty much identical though

still haven't heard! what do you think the chances are now??

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a week after the deadline for deposits the last time around, so I figured it would be the same this time (which will be tomorrow!!). It's getting so close to when classes begin (May 11), though. I wonder if this will be the last round of acceptances.

orientation doesn't start until May 22nd. We also had two early decision people commit to other schools (according to their Facebook pages)

orientation doesn't start until May 22nd. We also had two early decision people commit to other schools (according to their Facebook pages)
That makes me feel better! I was looking at the general academic calendar, but it makes sense that some programs will have a different schedule.

Has anyone heard anything yet today about alternate acceptances?

Still no word on my end! I tried calling on Friday but didn't have any luck. Hoping that we all hear something soon!

I wonder if the reason they didn't send any out on Friday was because of the AOTA conference? Perhaps a lot of the faculty and staff went to it. If Dr. Bowman and whoever else is involved with admissions went, there wouldn't be the appropriate people there to answer phone calls. That's the only thing I could think of. Unless of course they filled enough spots last go around.

i think if they filled enough spots last go around, we would have received an official rejection email saying that the spots have been filled

Reactions: 1 users
Would we have, though? Dr. Bowman said that sometimes they have people change their minds last minute. If they went ahead and emailed everyone still on the waitlist that the class had been filled, they probably wouldn't be able to offer any more acceptances if they end up having a few spots open before term starts. At least that's my take on it! But I tend to over analyze this kind of thing haha, so I could be wrong!

Quick question for you all. If you're not accepted this year, do you plan on reapplying next year? Going to another school? I'm trying to make the most out of the next year if i don't get in and i'm just curious to know what other people are doing who are in the same boat as me.

Quick question for you all. If you're not accepted this year, do you plan on reapplying next year? Going to another school? I'm trying to make the most out of the next year if i don't get in and i'm just curious to know what other people are doing who are in the same boat as me.
I'll be going to a different school.

I will reapply next year! This is the only school I applied to so I don't have any other option.

Would we have, though? Dr. Bowman said that sometimes they have people change their minds last minute. If they went ahead and emailed everyone still on the waitlist that the class had been filled, they probably wouldn't be able to offer any more acceptances if they end up having a few spots open before term starts. At least that's my take on it! But I tend to over analyze this kind of thing haha, so I could be wrong!
That's also possible!!! So guess we won't really know until the program starts!

I got the email this morning that I've been accepted!! Anyone else?

I just got accepted!!!! Nothing like a little last minute :) Very excited to meet you all!