any pharmacy career success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat5206

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i graduated with a business degree with a 2.9 gpa and am thinking of doing pharmacy. Im 22 so if i do become a pharmacist ill be 27 years if age and im thinking going to community college for a year and finish up pre reqs and apply. Im very motivated to pursue a career in pharmacy and i believe i got the traits to be a good pharmacist. Just wondering is there any success stories of people going into pharmacy from a completely different background, a low gpa, and ended up being a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

i graduated with a business degree with a 2.9 gpa and am thinking of doing pharmacy. Im 22 so if i do become a pharmacist ill be 27 years if age and im thinking going to community college for a year and finish up pre reqs and apply. Im very motivated to pursue a career in pharmacy and i believe i got the traits to be a good pharmacist. Just wondering is there any success stories of people going into pharmacy from a completely different background, a low gpa, and ended up being a pharmacist?

If you search through the site you will find all kinds of success stories of nontraditional students going back to pharmacy school from engineering, business, nursing and various other careers. There are always people that get into pharmacy school with low GPAs but applicants who do this bring something else to the table: hey have lots of pharmacy experience, great PCAT score, really strong pre req GPA just a low overall GOA or maybe they have lots of leadership roles in volunteering or promoting health in their community. Do not get discouraged because of low GPA but getting it up to a 3.0 would be a good thing and figuring out what sets you apart and can overshadow a low GPA is what is important.
Getting out of pharmacy school at 27 is not uncommon. The average age in my class is 25 or 26 so those people will be graduating at about 30 years old. If you are planning on applying for pharmacy school and starting in Fall 2009, the applications open up this summer, so it is not to early to get started!

I didnt even get a bachelors. I had about a 2.8 overall on my prereqs. I killed the PCAT and My second interview and got in. You can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think about it, "regular students" who stayed in school from day 1 would graduate grad school at 26 yrs. (18 +4 yrs undergrad + 4 yrs grad school).

27 isn't bad at all and I will be 28 myself when I am done. I graduated with a 2.87, applied 3 times and got in with a projected 3.1 gpa (got accepted before I recalculated by gpa, which didn't matter anymore).

So it's possible if you do your research, apply early, ace your classes, apply early, choose the right schools, and apply early. :)

I just turned 26 and I graduated with a business degree in 2006. Last summer I decided to go back and pursue something related to chemistry and healthcare - so pharmacy just sounded so perfect. So here I am, 26 years old with only 1.5 semesters of prereqs (well I have the GE stuff, I just need my sciences and I had to take calculus). I graduated with a 3.0 but I am doing very well in my prereq classes. I also have a great variety of extracurricular activites and work full time. So far no pharmacy experience, but I ploan to do some shadowing and maybe volunteering before this summer when I apply. You can definitely do it, just get As in the classes you take for prereqs, make a good PCAT score, and get some experience. Yeah there are tons of stories like ours...you'll be ok. :)

I still have most of my sanity after sitting in class for 5 hours straight. Does that count?