Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, is anyone certain the Vegas dates are all full? It just seems dumb because they're still included on the registration form I received yesterday.

I spoke with them today. She didn't necessarily say they were full, but she said they were currently reviewing applications for the january dates. Read into that what you like.

Members don't see this ad.

So, is anyone certain the Vegas dates are all full? It just seems dumb because they're still included on the registration form I received yesterday.

Exactly what I was thinking, I've been trying to call and find out but could not get anything besides voice mail anytime throughout the day. What number are you guys calling to get through?

Oh well, I already replied with hopes Vegas was still available

Hey guys,

I JUST talked to people from the UH Hilo College of Pharmacy. They visited my university; University of Hawaii at Manoa. They told me the average science GPA for last years class was 3.2 and PCAT was 66.

Now I am very nervous. I have a feeling this year a lot of students have exemplary stats. Good luck everyone. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
for all those who are wondering...I just got invited for an interview on mon, sent in the form mon night, and just got confirmed for las vegas fri dec 5 at 8:30. Apparently, Las Vegas is not full!

for all those who are wondering...I just got invited for an interview on mon, sent in the form mon night, and just got confirmed for las vegas fri dec 5 at 8:30. Apparently, Las Vegas is not full!

Wow that was really quick. What are you stats pharmtechgirl?

Btw...when you mean Monday...do you mean LAST monday or this past monday (the day before Veteran's day)?

Btw...when you mean Monday...do you mean LAST monday or this past monday (the day before Veteran's day)?

Saw her post from this past monday stating she got an interview invite. It was november 10th.

Last edited:
Me too, looks like Vegas is still open.

GPA:
Science: 3.11
Non-science: 3.93
Math: 3.87
Cumulative: 3.52
Pre-Pharmacy: 3.29

PCAT:
Composite is bad :(

Hawai'i resident
10 months retail pharmacy experience
2 years research assistant
1 year Biology club
1 year Pre-pharmacy Association (currently an officer)

What are my chances? :scared:

I'll be there on the 5th too, but around 11:30-ish. Will you be driving or flying?

just this past monday. my stats are absolutely awful but i make up for it in other ways. gpa 3.2 pcat 69 my essays are awesome and i have three letters of rec two from pharmacists that i work with. I am also a certified/registered pharm tech in CA.
For all of those people whose stats are not awesome but you really are passionate about this career...you CAN get interviews! the rest is up to you!

I'll be there on the 5th too, but around 11:30-ish. Will you be driving or flying?

i'm not sure yet...i think i will be flying but i just got an invite today for university of minnesota for Nov 21st. I am trying to figure that one out right now. yikes! flights are outrageous!

i'm not sure yet...i think i will be flying but i just got an invite today for university of minnesota for Nov 21st. I am trying to figure that one out right now. yikes! flights are outrageous!

Which part of CA are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA:

PCAT:

Hawai'i resident
1 year Biology club

You should be fine, the fact that you are a Hawaii resident helps a lot since they try to make it half and half. So generally your competition is a lot lower:45 seats for all out of staters vs 45 seats for Hawaii residents.

I think for those of us that have UH Hilo as their first choice, I dont think we should worry. From what I have heard from admissions and those accepted this year and last, many people turn down their acceptance. The accreditation status of the school seems to be a turn off for those that dont really want to go there. I remember hearing that a lot of people were given last minute invitations to attend the school during july and aug. I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers!

I think for those of us that have UH Hilo as their first choice, I dont think we should worry. From what I have heard from admissions and those accepted this year and last, many people turn down their acceptance. The accreditation status of the school seems to be a turn off for those that dont really want to go there. I remember hearing that a lot of people were given last minute invitations to attend the school during july and aug. I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers!

I think people's hesitations with the school have to do with a few factors:
1) Accredation status (which isn't much of a factor anymore)
2) Location... it's really hard to pick up and move to an island, as opposed to packing everything in a U-Haul and driving to anywhere else.
3) If you've ever had to actually deal with the university in any way, you'll realize they are very unorganized in most of what they do. This does not reflect well on the PharmD program (this is a very personal opinion, btw).

GPA:

PCAT:

Hawai'i resident
1 year Biology club

You've got a good chance. Hawaii seems to lean more on the GPA than they do the PCAT, so you're fishing in the right waters, so to speak. You're probably right in the middle of the pack, as far as what they are looking for. You're extracurriculars/experience give you a nice edge. :thumbup:

I think people's hesitations with the school have to do with a few factors:
1) Accredation status (which isn't much of a factor anymore)
2) Location... it's really hard to pick up and move to an island, as opposed to packing everything in a U-Haul and driving to anywhere else.
3) If you've ever had to actually deal with the university in any way, you'll realize they are very unorganized in most of what they do. This does not reflect well on the PharmD program (this is a very personal opinion, btw).

Oh yeah, I thought I mentioned location. People dont realize quite how far hawaii is from the mainland... You cant just buy a hundred dollar ticket to fly home. Any random time, it's at the minimum $400 for a ticket. You gotta really like the atmosphere there. I think the population is like 200k on the whole island. HAHA hopefully I scare some people away.

As for how it's organized, I can't say. I know lots of people say they can never contact anyone, but they answer every time I call. Emails are responded to within 48 hours. But I have yet to visit the school or speak with any faculty. They're just a new school and still getting organized.

Oh yeah, I thought I mentioned location. People dont realize quite how far hawaii is from the mainland... You cant just buy a hundred dollar ticket to fly home. Any random time, it's at the minimum $400 for a ticket. You gotta really like the atmosphere there. I think the population is like 200k on the whole island. HAHA hopefully I scare some people away.

As for how it's organized, I can't say. I know lots of people say they can never contact anyone, but they answer every time I call. Emails are responded to within 48 hours. But I have yet to visit the school or speak with any faculty. They're just a new school and still getting organized.

Also since they are not fully accredited, there are still a lot of students who are concerned and really only applied as the last resort. I'm not really concerned because it is already established school that is adding a department. It is very unlikely they won't become accredited.

Also since they are not fully accredited, there are still a lot of students who are concerned and really only applied as the last resort. I'm not really concerned because it is already established school that is adding a department. It is very unlikely they won't become accredited.

Yep, that was what I was saying in my previous post. I said though that I hope it does scare a lot of people away to help me have a better chance! lol

I got freaked out when I was searching for the airfare: $800 from Orange County to Hilo! This means that I won't be coming home in the mainland for quite a loOng time! :eek: Also, it will be really tough moving my stuff from here to an island right in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. However, I really do want to visit Hawaii someday.

I got freaked out when I was searching for the airfare: $800 from Orange County to Hilo! This means that I won't be coming home in the mainland for quite a loOng time! :eek: Also, it will be really tough moving my stuff from here to an island right in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. However, I really do want to visit Hawaii someday.

I am signed up for bookingbuddy.com and they send airfare/hotel deals. If they had interviews in hawaii during december, i got an email with airfare and hotel for 4 days for $528. You should look up hawaii's residency information. They say you have to live there for a straight year, PLUS register to vote and get a new drivers license to declare residency. So if that's your plan, you wont leave the first year anyway. I think residency saves you like 6k a semester, according to information I last read.

I am signed up for bookingbuddy.com and they send airfare/hotel deals. If they had interviews in hawaii during december, i got an email with airfare and hotel for 4 days for $528. You should look up hawaii's residency information. They say you have to live there for a straight year, PLUS register to vote and get a new drivers license to declare residency. So if that's your plan, you wont leave the first year anyway. I think residency saves you like 6k a semester, according to information I last read.

Is that your plan? I don't know, I was just saying that it's too costly to commute back and forth. If I do end up at UH-Hilo, then I will still come home at least during the winter and summer break. It's too expensive to consider flying back for Thanksgiving and spring break. Is Hilo your #1 choice? You're from CA also right?

Is that your plan? I don't know, I was just saying that it's too costly to commute back and forth. If I do end up at UH-Hilo, then I will still come home at least during the winter and summer break. It's too expensive to consider flying back for Thanksgiving and spring break. Is Hilo your #1 choice? You're from CA also right?

I have two close friends that live on oahu and I know a current student at UH Hilo. I dont have any plans to come home for the first year. Yeah, Hilo is my #1 choice. Was excited when i first heard they were planning on starting the school. I'm from arizona. My parents place is about 2 miles from Midwestern GCP actually. I suppose if I were accepted there before I even got an interview invite for Hawaii, I would attend Midwestern. I prefer hawaii though.

They essentially made declaring yourself a Hawaii resident if you're not already impossible for lower tuition. They sent out an email saying you cannot be enrolled in more than 6 credit hours a semester to get the lower tuition - which pharmacy school obviously is. There's another rule like you can't leave the state for a maximum of 30 days at a time, overall it's rather lame in my opinion. But just to let you know I wouldn't plan on getting in-state tuition if you do not live in Hawaii already, though some of my classmates seem set on trying.

They essentially made declaring yourself a Hawaii resident if you're not already impossible for lower tuition. They sent out an email saying you cannot be enrolled in more than 6 credit hours a semester to get the lower tuition - which pharmacy school obviously is. There's another rule like you can't leave the state for a maximum of 30 days at a time, overall it's rather lame in my opinion. But just to let you know I wouldn't plan on getting in-state tuition if you do not live in Hawaii already, though some of my classmates seem set on trying.

I understand what you are saying for sure. However, looking at their website, it does seem possible. You really do have to prove you want to be a resident though; declare residency by getting hawaii license, registering to vote, buying a house or a lease, file hawaii income tax, etc. Some of this can't be proved until after living there 12 months. Like I said, you cant leave for christmas or summer break. Read their website: http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/admissions/residency-faq.php

So it is possible. You have to apply and be willing to accept you may be declined.

Also, it sounds like in this article that they are going to increase in-state and out-of-state tuition in the next couple months. This article really only specifies undergrad, but they imply pharmacy will increase as well: http://www.starbulletin.com/news/hawaiinews/20081026_Regents_might_raise_tuition_at_UH.html

Yay! Got my confirmation today also, Friday 12/5 in Vegas, funny I had already booked a Vegas vacation the 14-18 :thumbup:

For those interviewing in Vegas, what hotel are you guys staying at? It looks like staying at the embassy suites is over 100$ more than other strip hotels. I was thinking excalibur.

Last edited:
Yay! Got my confirmation today also, Friday 12/5 in Vegas, funny I had already booked a Vegas vacation the 14-18 :thumbup:

For those interviewing in Vegas, what hotel are you guys staying at? It looks like staying at the embassy suites is over 100$ more than other strip hotels. I was thinking excalibur.

I'm staying at treasure island...it was 55 when i booked it. I know stratosphere and monte carlo had good deals at the time but i'm not sure if they went up.

im staying at Harrah's, which is about mid strip. I would not stay at the stratosphere, its old and at the end of the strip. Many hotels have decent rates for thursday, then friday and saturday their prices spike.

My interview is on 12/8 in Hilo. I just check my bank account and i don't think i have enough money for the plane tickets and my credit card is almost max out. what should i do? do you think i can email them back and ask for another location such as Las Vegas or Orlando?

My interview is on 12/8 in Hilo. I just check my bank account and i don't think i have enough money for the plane tickets and my credit card is almost max out. what should i do? do you think i can email them back and ask for another location such as Las Vegas or Orlando?

I know down the street from my house their is a place you can donate plasma. You can make about 325 dollars in a month. Try that or sell some stuff on craigslist... That really sucks.

I heard from someone on this thread that they're going to open up more interviews in LA in January. Or you can also call them and see if they have any slot available for the mainland sites, in case if some people might decide to decline their invitation. You never know.

I heard from someone on this thread that they're going to open up more interviews in LA in January.

That's correct, they had LA dates in January from the registration they sent me on Monday.

Is this anybody else very first pharmacy interview? I am nervous out of my mind! I can't concentrate on my finals at all since I got notified.

That's correct, they had LA dates in January from the registration they sent me on Monday.

Is this anybody else very first pharmacy interview? I am nervous out of my mind! I can't concentrate on my finals at all since I got notified.

UH-Hilo will be my third pharm school interview in my lifetime. My first one was during the last application cycle. Believe me, boy, I was extremely nervous that I thought I was going to run away from the building! :scared: I was also notified of the interview on the last day of my finals, so I couldn't concentrate studying for that last final because I was both excited and nervous at the same time. After that first interview experience, I realized it wasn't too scary. For my second interview I had last month, I wasn't even nervous until the day of the interview (nervous, but not extremely nervous).

Have you ever been to Excalibur? I can honestly say I'll never step foot in that place again!

I'm staying at treasure island...it was 55 when i booked it. I know stratosphere and monte carlo had good deals at the time but i'm not sure if they went up.

TI - great location in relation to Embassy Suites. Hotel is not quite what it used to be since Steve Wynn sold it, but it is still decent.

im staying at Harrah's, which is about mid strip. I would not stay at the stratosphere, its old and at the end of the strip. Many hotels have decent rates for thursday, then friday and saturday their prices spike.

I'll be at Harrah's as well. It is as close to the Embassy Suites as I could get at a rate we can all call great - FREEE!!! I normally stay at the Venetian/Palazzo, but for some reason, they won't comp me Friday night, but they will Saturday? Weird. Anyway, Harrah's, here I come. You can find me at the Blackjack tables after the interview.

Staying at Bally's for one night. Anyone/everyone want to get together for dinner on Friday or lunch on Saturday? Might be nice to meet with everyone and see our potential classmates :).

I'll be at Harrah's as well. It is as close to the Embassy Suites as I could get at a rate we can all call great - FREEE!!! I normally stay at the Venetian/Palazzo, but for some reason, they won't comp me Friday night, but they will Saturday? Weird. Anyway, Harrah's, here I come. You can find me at the Blackjack tables after the interview.

I'm still searching for a place to stay. Ok, I'll look into Harrah's then.

Wow, how did you get a stay for free?

Yeah, we've got free rooms at Harrah's too. I've been to Vegas six or so times and we either stay at Harrah's or at MGM. I don't gamble though, too broke for that. I'll probably be outside listening to the cover band.

For me, nonstop from denver the cheapest place on strip was excalibur....o well.

Wow, how did you get a stay for free?

Once you visit Vegas (and especially if you gamble), they want you to come back. So they send you offers of free or discounted rooms in hopes of getting you back so that you'll gamble at their casinos, eat at their restaurants, see their shows, and tell your friends! I haven't paid for a room in Vegas or Laughlin in over 4 years now (and I've about broken even on all my gambling over the years... might even be in the positive cash flow by just a few dollars).

Once you visit Vegas (and especially if you gamble), they want you to come back. So they send you offers of free or discounted rooms in hopes of getting you back so that you'll gamble at their casinos, eat at their restaurants, see their shows, and tell your friends! I haven't paid for a room in Vegas or Laughlin in over 4 years now (and I've about broken even on all my gambling over the years... might even be in the positive cash flow by just a few dollars).

Well good job for Harrah's, because now I'm going to go there next time and make sure they know my address.

That's awesome! Do you just call them up and say, "I've been there before and spend a lot of money. And I need to come back." Hahaha.

you can also go to Harrah's website and enter in your reward card number and see what deals you can get. harrah's owns other properties as well,

I didn't receive any confirmation for the interview yet
I picked12/6 in LV
Maybe they don't have my supplemental yet
:(:oops::scared:

I didn't receive any confirmation for the interview yet
I picked12/6 in LV
Maybe they don't have my supplemental yet
:(:oops::scared:

it shouldn't matter if you have your supplemental in. I still haven't turned mine in yet and my interview is dec 5