Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ughh... okay this waiting game is starting to get a little out of hand now. It's been 3 weeks since I received my interview invite and they STILL haven't confirmed anyone's interview dates. Good luck to anyone who has to interview in Hawaii at this point... your flight tickets are going to be outrageous!! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder how many slots do they have per interview day?? I know i listed the three dates in Las Vegas, but what happened if those dates are full? I hope they do contact me, so I can choose other dates listed on the form. I hope I'm not one of those people who has to go to Hawaii. I really want to go to Hawaii, but the airfare is going to be outrageous and I really can't afford to miss any class at that point.

My plane ticket was about $1250 roundtrip, but then again i'm coming from the eastern US.

Members don't see this ad :)
My plane ticket was about $1250 roundtrip, but then again i'm coming from the eastern US.

Did you get an invite late in the application process? Yea, ouch. I checked the airfare from LAX to Hilo, and the lowest is $495 roundtrip. On the other hand, if I decide to fly from Orange County, the fare is over $800. :eek: So if I am lucky to get the one in Las Vegas, the airfare will be around $130. Orlando will cost me around $310.

I just emailed Liz to see when we should know when our interviews will be. Hopefully, I'll here something back from her today and I'll let you guys know.

I emailed last week and they said we should hear something by the end of this week...so probably today :)

Just got my confirmation for las vegas..will be there Saturday 12/6..hope to see some of you guys there!!!:luck:

did you get your confirmation in mail or via email?

They confirmed me for the one in Las Vegas on Friday 12/05.

Last edited:
For those who are going to be interviewed in Las Vegas, how are you guys planning to get from the airport to the hotel and back? I know it's not located too far from the airport, but too bad they offer a complimentary shuttle.

Got my confirmation! :thumbup:

1st choice!!!

Las Vegas - Sat, Dec 6th.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who are going to be interviewed in Las Vegas, how are you guys planning to get from the airport to the hotel and back? I know it's not located too far from the airport, but too bad they offer a complimentary shuttle.

Not sure if they still do this, but Las Vegas Limousines used to offer $4 fares for walk up service. The catch - they basically make the limo a taxi cab and will put more than just yourself in the car.

Nothing around the "new" strip is far from the airport. Most cab fares will be in the $15 range, if I remember correctly.

Got my confirmation! :thumbup:

1st choice!!!

Las Vegas - Sat, Dec 6th.

Congrats on your first choice! I guess the one on Sat is totally booked up, therefore I got my second choice. I'm still debating whether I should fly into Vegas the night before or the morning on the day of the interview. My time is around 11:30am. I know if everything goes smoothly that day, then it'll be perfect.

Congrats on your first choice! I guess the one on Sat is totally booked up, therefore I got my second choice. I'm still debating whether I should fly into Vegas the night before or the morning on the day of the interview. My time is around 11:30am. I know if everything goes smoothly that day, then it'll be perfect.

It would be perfect, but you can't count on it. I'd go the day before just incase your flight were to be delayed. Better to be on the safe side.

I must have the first interview for the day on Saturday - 8:30am.

I'll be coming into town on Friday (assuming I am waitlisted/rejected at Midwestern CCP). I really, really hope I am fortunate enough to turn down this interview (for the reasons listed before). I rather enjoyed my visit to Chicago!

It would be perfect, but you can't count on it. I'd go the day before just incase your flight were to be delayed. Better to be on the safe side.

I must have the first interview for the day on Saturday - 8:30am.

I'll be coming into town on Friday (assuming I am waitlisted/rejected at Midwestern CCP). I really, really hope I am fortunate enough to turn down this interview (for the reasons listed before). I rather enjoyed my visit to Chicago!

Yea, you're right. I was leaning more toward spending the night in Vegas just to be on the safe side. I kind of fell in love with the area around the Midwestern campus. Even though it's located in the suburb, I thought it wasn't too far out from Chicago. The only thing I'm concerned about Chicago is the snow during the winter time. Probably this won't be a problem to you because you guys have snow in Texas right? Are you planning to rent a car in Vegas?...or gamble on the night before your interview? j/k :D

:D Saturday in Vegas. Those of us interviewing in Vegas should get together and grab lunch or something that day.

Yea, you're right. I was leaning more toward spending the night in Vegas just to be on the safe side. I kind of fell in love with the area around the Midwestern campus. Even though it's located in the suburb, I thought it wasn't too far out from Chicago. The only thing I'm concerned about Chicago is the snow during the winter time. Probably this won't be a problem to you because you guys have snow in Texas right? Are you planning to rent a car in Vegas?...or gamble on the night before your interview? j/k :D

Snow doesn't bother me. I say that, but living in it may be different. I love snow skiing in Breckenridge. I live in central Texas, so when we get a wintry precipitation, it is typically sleet/ice. That will happen about twice a year and if we're lucky, we'll get snow once a year.

I do plan on gambling. Vegas :love: me. Usually when I go, I'll be up 36-48 hours without sleep. Obviously, I can't do that this time. I'll have to do an abbreviated version.

Snow doesn't bother me. I say that, but living in it may be different. I love snow skiing in Breckenridge. I live in central Texas, so when we get a wintry precipitation, it is typically sleet/ice. That will happen about twice a year and if we're lucky, we'll get snow once a year.

I do plan on gambling. Vegas :love: me. Usually when I go, I'll be up 36-48 hours without sleep. Obviously, I can't do that this time. I'll have to do an abbreviated version.

Haha, you're going to do an abbreviated version of gambling!! :laugh: Well, now I'm thinking of driving there the night before the interview because I realized it takes only 4 hours to drive from my house. After the interview, I might take a visit at the strips. ;)

no, they're going to to notify you about interview through email

no, they're going to to notify you about interview through email

Yes. They will also provide you with a list of options for your interview date and you will list your preferences.

:luck: I am hoping for an interview.

How fast do they contact you for an interview after you send in all your stuff?

Very fast. They received mine on late Friday, then they sent me an interview invite that Monday afternoon. So, they really do look at your app once they receive it.

I called the Admissions office today and was told that interview spaces for mainland (ex: Las Vegas) is full for the December interviews. And that the Admissions committee will conduct more interviews on mainland U.S. in 2009

I'm not sure about interview spaces for interviews conducted in Hawaii. You might want to call them and find out.

I have a feeling Hilo COP is getting a lot of applications this year.
It will be beneficial to apply ASAP.

uhhh... weird. I didn't send in my supplemental in yet, so my application is incomplete. But I just got something from UH Hilo in email.

This is what it said at the top with dates and form attached. Was this the way you guys got interview invite?
Thank you for your interest in the UH-Hilo, College of Pharmacy. The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and is pleased to extend an interview invitation to you.

Does this mean I got an interview? They want me send in interview registration form. What should I do? :laugh: Maybe I should send in my supplemental as soon as possible, so they don't notice :smuggrin:

uhhh... weird. I didn't send in my supplemental in yet, so my application is incomplete. But I just got something from UH Hilo in email.

This is what it said at the top with dates and form attached. Was this the way you guys go interview invite?
Thank you for your interest in the UH-Hilo, College of Pharmacy. The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and is pleased to extend an interview invitation to you.

Does this mean I got an interview? They want me send in interview registration form. What should I do? :laugh: Maybe I should send in my supplemental as soon as possible, so they don't notice :smuggrin:

I'll have to fire up the laptop and get back to you. I don't remember my email being that short and to the point.

I can tell you though that my email did come with the interview registration form attached.

Who sent the email?

I'll have to fire up the laptop and get back to you. I don't remember my email being that short and to the point.

I can tell you though that my email did come with the interview registration form attached.

Who sent the email?

No the entire email was longer. I just copy pasted the first sentence.

was sent by:
(edit)

if you want I can copy paste the whole thing.

Last edited:
No the entire email was longer. I just copy pasted the first sentence.

was sent by:
Pharmacy <pharmacyathawaii.edu> (using at instead of @, because of habit when on message board)

if you want I can copy paste the whole thing.

No, that's ok. When I get home, I'll PM you what my email said. Maybe you missed it in my previous post, but was the form not attached? Mine was.

No, that's ok. When I get home, I'll PM you what my email said. Maybe you missed it in my previous post, but was the form not attached? Mine was.

yes an interview registration form was attached with dates and the email asked me to rank my top three location and dates.

yes an interview registration form was attached with dates and the email asked me to rank my priority

That is quite peculiar. I don't understand why they would have done so without a complete application on file unless they do not have that many completed or incomplete applications on file and do not want to slow down their processes.

Just curious...

What are the dates and locations?

That is quite peculiar. I don't understand why they would have done so without a complete application on file unless they do not have that many completed or incomplete applications on file and do not want to slow down their processes.

Just curious...

What are the dates and locations?

I'm PMing it to you, because there is a scary little note on the bottom to not copy information.

EDIT: Woot I got interview. By the way for those who couldn't get to Las Vegas in December, there will be some Los Angeles venues in January (location yet unknown).

Last edited:
I got an interview invite today as well. It says they based this decision on my PharmCAS application-coincidentally I sent in my supplemental application this morning, so they'll get that by Wednesday :p

Reading from previous posts, it seems LV interview dates are full-
Any of you plan to fly to Hilo for your interview?

For those who got interviews, what are your stats??... if you don't mind. :) I barely got my gpa calculated today and waiting for pharmcas to send it out.

This is what it said at the top with dates and form attached. Was this the way you guys got interview invite?

A week ago, I asked Hilo whether they send out interview invites before an applicant sends in the supplemental application. The answer I got was they rarely give interview invites before supplementals and that the majority of their invites are sent after completion of application. Congrats on the interview. :)

Just wondering, when did PharmCAS mail out your application to HILO?

A week ago, I asked Hilo whether they send out interview invites before an applicant sends in the supplemental application. The answer I got was they rarely give interview invites before supplementals and that the majority of their invites are sent after completion of application. Congrats on the interview. :)

Just wondering, when did PharmCAS mail out your application to HILO?

I did my pharmCAS early so it was mailed out in August, but never got around to all the supplementals. I'm applying to lots of schools and majority were November deadline, so certain apps had to be pushed back.

I got an interview invite today as well. It says they based this decision on my PharmCAS application-coincidentally I sent in my supplemental application this morning, so they'll get that by Wednesday :p

Reading from previous posts, it seems LV interview dates are full-
Any of you plan to fly to Hilo for your interview?

Same thing happened to me, I got an email from UH Hilo today inviting me to an interview, then I got a second email stating I still needed to do my supplemental.

I got accepted into one of my top choices already so I wasn't planning on submitting the supplemental to Hilo afterall. I will be declining the interview, so this opens up another spot to someone else!

Yay! I got an interview invite today for UH!! Funny I haven't even submitted the supplemental yet!!

me too. i just receiced today. i finish the pharmcas long time ago, but not the suppl appl.

I have also received an invite for an interview. However, I am residing in Maryland. Will I be able to get Financial Aid, as in FAFSA or loan?

Thank you and good luck you guys

I have also received an invite for an interview. However, I am residing in Maryland. Will I be able to get Financial Aid, as in FAFSA or loan?

Thank you and good luck you guys
I think you can only get loans in grad school but I may be wrong. But certainly fill out FAFSA.

Yeah, but Pharmacy school, technically isn't "graduate school". It's a professional school. I don't know if Fafsa groups those categories together though. I guess you just have to fill one out to find out.

Very fast. They received mine on late Friday, then they sent me an interview invite that Monday afternoon. So, they really do look at your app once they receive it.

i didn't get my interview invite yet. :(
AND I'm a Hawai'i resident. What is up with that?

I haven't received an invite yet either.... It seems we may have to wait to be invited to the january interviews in LA. sad

I'm assuming that Manoa is located on a different island than Hilo. I wonder if it really takes from 2-3 days for your supplemental app to be sent. Well, you just sent it in the middle of last week, so you still have hope. The school is closed on the weekends and it was probably closed yesterday b/c of holiday, so maybe the adcom hasn't gotten a chance to look at your app yet. I think the interview slots for Hawaii should still be available for December. :luck: How is the weather over there?

I'm assuming that Manoa is located on a different island than Hilo. I wonder if it really takes from 2-3 days for your supplemental app to be sent. Well, you just sent it in the middle of last week, so you still have hope. The school is closed on the weekends and it was probably closed yesterday b/c of holiday, so maybe the adcom hasn't gotten a chance to look at your app yet. I think the interview slots for Hawaii should still be available for December. :luck: How is the weather over there?

Wish I was a Hawaiian resident.... Maybe I'll move out there June of next year no matter what to declare residency for the next year

Yes UH Manoa is on the island of Oahu. The weather in Hawaii is warm and toasty. It is awesome when the cool trade winds come around. I guarantee you will enjoy Hawaii very much. :rolleyes:

Being a Hawai'i resident doesn't means your application gets read before non-Hawai'i residents. so that's what's up... (Checking State of residency deals more with Tuition than with rolling admissions)

From the posts on this thread, you can see that Hilo COP barely started giving interview invites to pharmCAS applicants who submitted back in August and September. If you just submitted your pharmCAS apps..this month or a month ago, HILO haven't got to your application yet. Be patient. :)

Last edited:
So, is anyone certain the Vegas dates are all full? It just seems dumb because they're still included on the registration form I received yesterday.