Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not surprising. The so called "new" buildings are only clapboard portables, and then there's the "other" problem that many are aware of.
I'd be at UIC if it weren't for my g/f already attending UHH. :(

I heard from someone at the UH Hilo pharmacy school that their accreditation may be in jeopardy. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that, but that's all he would say. Is that the "other" problem you are talking about?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a phone call from Liz that I got pulled off from the alternate list, but I'll decline the offer. I seriously thought they had totally forgotten about me. Sigh, I'll visit Hawaii someday.

i got a call to schedule a phone interview but I didn't take my last prereq, microbiology. do you know if there is anyway around this?

i had lost hope by june, so didn't sign up for the summer class :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely a core science class cannot be waived, have you searched your area for potentially squeezing it in before this fall?

i got a call to schedule a phone interview but I didn't take my last prereq, microbiology. do you know if there is anyway around this?

i had lost hope by june, so didn't sign up for the summer class :(

There's an online microbiology class offered by UNE. I believe they have open enrollment, however the class is designed to be completed in 16 weeks. You can possibly try to squeeze it in one month. Note that classes will start on August 24th.

Classes are held on the main campus, right?

In search for a place and a roommate..........help?

Last edited:
I received a phone call from Liz that I got pulled off from the alternate list, but I'll decline the offer. I seriously thought they had totally forgotten about me. Sigh, I'll visit Hawaii someday.

Hi Cinnamoroll12,

What drives you away from attending UHH? Is this because of the location?
I'm still waiting for the call from Liz.
Oh God, plz have her called me :luck::luck::luck:

I heard from someone at the UH Hilo pharmacy school that their accreditation may be in jeopardy. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that, but that's all he would say. Is that the "other" problem you are talking about?

OMG. You guys heard it from where? Please do tell me!!! I got accepted to the school and the only thing that dampen me is the thought of it not being accredited yet!!!!!!!!

Hi Cinnamoroll12,

What drives you away from attending UHH? Is this because of the location?
I'm still waiting for the call from Liz.
Oh God, plz have her called me :luck::luck::luck:

Honestly, Hawaii is just too far for me. I think the idea of living on a tiny island surrounded by large body of water kind of scares me away. Another factor is the high cost of living. However, I really want to visit Hawaii someday. Have you heard from any other school? Good luck to you and I hope Liz will get to you on the list soon. :luck:

It's good to know that someone is getting excited about the school!!! I got accepted into the school like on Tuesday and school start on august 18 lol man so much things to start worrying about!!! please advise me anyone?

OMG. You guys heard it from where? Please do tell me!!! I got accepted to the school and the only thing that dampen me is the thought of it not being accredited yet!!!!!!!!

honestly, i dont think not being accredited is gonna be a problem. the dean seems to have it under control. all they need is money to build a facility and everything should be great

It's good to know that someone is getting excited about the school!!! I got accepted into the school like on Tuesday and school start on august 18 lol man so much things to start worrying about!!! please advise me anyone?

if you got any questions feel free to pm me. i can answer whatever

i just accepted the offer too!
-check online to see if you received your award then sign up for loans
-get immunizations done n health forms filled out
-take CPR class (if its thru AHA, take the BLS for healthcare providers it includes infant, pediatric, and adult)
-mail in all transcripts and all paperwork they emailed you
-book car shipping if you are planning to (for me it will take 2-3 weeks from CA and they only ship twice a month)
-look for apartments (Tobhi Hale and Hale Haumana are nice n walking distance to campus)
-book flight ticket (the sooner the cheaper)
-hmmm, that's all i can think of now...oh yea, start packing...hahaha!

Members don't see this ad :)
For all current students, what is a typical week like as a P1/ P2?

For all current students, what is a typical week like as a P1/ P2?

for my p1 year, all classes were from 1 to either 3,4,or 5

lab is one day in the morning 830 till pau

then rotations one morning, start @ 8 if at hospital or whenever pharmacy opens at retail location. and that goes until 12

so only 2 days have things to do in the morning

hi~
i actually already applied for dorm at hale ikena. does anyone know when i will be able to find out my room assignment?

hi~
i actually already applied for dorm at hale ikena. does anyone know when i will be able to find out my room assignment?

applied a long time ago or recently? i heard you gotta apply by april to get in the on-campus dorms. and i think alot of people don't recommend the on-campus dorms. hale ikena does have a nice lounge though, its where i spend most of my time on campus when not in class

habeansha you are so helpful!

so are textbooks required REQUIRED or can we go through the semester with just notes from slides?

are there pharm tech jobs available around Hilo?

can P1 work as interns?

sorry so many questions. :eek: :oops:

habeansha you are so helpful!

so are textbooks required REQUIRED or can we go through the semester with just notes from slides?

are there pharm tech jobs available around Hilo?

can P1 work as interns?

sorry so many questions. :eek: :oops:

for biochem and immunology, the lipincotts books are both sort of review books. if you take amazing notes i would think you would be alright w/o the books. (nvm im not too sure about this, i just saw the book list on the other site and i think theres different teachers for both classes)

pharmacetics books were pretty unneccesary, i only really read the ansel textbook

calculations book is really good to have, gives you alot of practice

intro to pharmaceutical sciences book is unecessary also, culture and health care book too

as for jobs, i dont think there are many pharm tech jobs available here, and most of them will probably be filled by p2s or p3s.

interning doesnt really matter for your p1 year b/c intern hours dont count until you finish your 1st year (its a hawaii law i think they are trying to change)

I just got a call from Liz yesterday about the phone interview on Friday. Any tips, guys?
thanks

Do they seriously not have their '09 class filled yet? The fact that they are doing phone interviews to get anyone they can at this point is kinda sketchy IMO. Might have to rethink my application for 2010....

Do they seriously not have their '09 class filled yet? The fact that they are doing phone interviews to get anyone they can at this point is kinda sketchy IMO. Might have to rethink my application for 2010....

It's probably due to people like me who were accepted but then decline the seat really late because they got accepted elsewhere.

I think it's nice of the school, would you like to prefer to pay 1000$ for a roundtrip ticket to interview and then find out later you were declined? I would be totally ticked if that happened...

They do host numerous interviews on the mainland but for those who apply late, phone interviews might be in order rather then interviewing in hawaii.

Yay!!!

I'm accepted the last minutes.
It's kinda late in the game but it's all worth it.:D
Now I'm looking for a place to stay :scared:
Any suggestion on the preperation would be greatly appreciated.
See you all at orientation CO 2013 :soexcited::clap::soexcited:

Yay!!!

Congrats!

applied a long time ago or recently? i heard you gotta apply by april to get in the on-campus dorms. and i think alot of people don't recommend the on-campus dorms. hale ikena does have a nice lounge though, its where i spend most of my time on campus when not in class

its my first year and new to the area so i just decided to try dorm first and then i can change my mind next semester after i get to know more classmates.

i already applied for it before april and got accepted for a dorm, paid it as well. they havent notified me back on my room assignment. i wanted to know my address there so i could buy books and have it mailed there.

Yay!!!

woot woot...see ya there:laugh:

see you ayiayi.

--> for those attending COP C/O 2013, I haven't found a place to live yet. Do you know of any place, apartment, or anyone looking for roomate, please PM me.
thanks

see you ayiayi.

--> for those attending COP C/O 2013, I haven't found a place to live yet. Do you know of any place, apartment, or anyone looking for roomate, please PM me.
thanks

did u try Tobhi Hale or Hale Haumana? Hale Haumana does month to month rent...its close to campus and i think mostly UHH students living there

did u try Tobhi Hale or Hale Haumana? Hale Haumana does month to month rent...its close to campus and i think mostly UHH students living there

Tobhi Hale if full. I haven't tried Hale Haumana. Is it the new building? If it is, it's full also. :(

Tobhi Hale if full. I haven't tried Hale Haumana. Is it the new building? If it is, it's full also. :(
Tobhi Hale and Hale Haumana are owned by the same people and a 2 min walk from each other. That's unfortunate you are having trouble finding housing this late in the game, University Palms could also be your back up plan but as others have said it's not ideal living conditions. They do have just semester contracts though so if worst came to worst living there for 4 months is doable, not to mention it's the closest housing facility to campus and fairly cheap.

Tobhi Hale and Hale Haumana are owned by the same people and a 2 min walk from each other. That's unfortunate you are having trouble finding housing this late in the game, University Palms could also be your back up plan but as others have said it's not ideal living conditions. They do have just semester contracts though so if worst came to worst living there for 4 months is doable, not to mention it's the closest housing facility to campus and fairly cheap.

University Palms is not an option according to many.
Well, I found a couple of places say about 2 to 3 miles from UH-Hilo, studio or 1 br apartment for $600 - 700. Is that about right?

thanks

if you have access to the UHH forums, there's a pharm student looking for a roommate for tohbi hale. their other roommate decided to not go to UHH

hello P1s and P2s...do you remember when your loan was disbursed?

thanks rerwan...but I don't have access to COP forum yet.

For those have turned in the immunization form, I have a question for you.
For all the A, B, C parts, there's column saying "By Whom", what do I suppose to fill in there, (eg: MD, Nurse, This school, that school, etc).
My doctor did not fill that part out.

Thanks

thanks rerwan...but I don't have access to COP forum yet.

For those have turned in the immunization form, I have a question for you.
For all the A, B, C parts, there's column saying "By Whom", what do I suppose to fill in there, (eg: MD, Nurse, This school, that school, etc).
My doctor did not fill that part out.

Thanks

i think thats where you put who or what facility gave you that immunization. a nurse did it for me and she wrote in the health centers name.

i think thats where you put who or what facility gave you that immunization. a nurse did it for me and she wrote in the health centers name.

thanks 5201314.
BTW, what do those numbers mean? just wondering :)

So I haven't found an apartment in Hilo yet.
School Apartments are fulled and most apartments in craigslist are booked.
Do you guys know any other sources to find an apartment in Hilo?

thanks in advance

So I haven't found an apartment in Hilo yet.
School Apartments are fulled and most apartments in craigslist are booked.
Do you guys know any other sources to find an apartment in Hilo?

thanks in advance

you can also try this website...it was listed on the UHH forum.
http://day-lumrentals.com

or contact Lisa Tripi
Day-Lum Rentals
2 Kamehameha Avenue
Hilo, Hawai'i 96720-2830
Phone (808) 935-4152
Fax (808) 961-2459
e-mail:
[email protected]

see you guys at orientation soon!