Albert einstein vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snuggless

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to both Albert Einstein and NYU and I love both of them. So I am quite confused what might be a better choice. Cost for the both the school is going to be about the same, so it comes down to which one is more worth it.
I will appreciate any input ans suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If the cost is the same, what advantage is there to Einstein over NYU?

I recently got accepted to both Albert Einstein and NYU and I love both of them. So I am quite confused what might be a better choice. Cost for the both the school is going to be about the same, so it comes down to which one is more worth it.
I will appreciate any input ans suggestions. Thank you for your help in advance!

I'd go NYU. If there's no price difference. It's in a better area of the city. Great match list. Maybe slightly more respected? Although, my only worry would be the guinea pig syndrome for testing out the new curriculum.

Unless you really like a specific aspect of Einstein (MPH option, global health opportunities), I think the Lower East Side is a far cooler place to spend 4 years than the Bronx. But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
One advantage of Einstein over NYU is the pass or fail option for the first 2 years. It fosters less dog eat dog competition and the students are far less stressed than at NYU. I guess it all balls down to where you feel more comfortable. I think Einstein students are way more laid back than most medical student in the NYC area. So it all depends on your preference..

Both are great schools, congrats. I think one thing to take into consideration is the amount of distractions in the city versus the bronx. Einstein definitely has an environment in which you can concentrate a little better.

Congratulations on having this predicament OP! :thumbup: Not a bad one to have if I do say so myself!

Both are great schools, congrats. I think one thing to take into consideration is the amount of distractions in the city versus the bronx. Einstein definitely has an environment in which you can concentrate a little better.
As a city dweller, I don't think it's that big of a distraction. The bigger distraction is the annoying commute to get out of the small neighborhood in Einstein to do anything resembling fun. That's what I heard from most of the students I met at a mixer.

NYU has better clinical opportunities and will open more doors for you IMO. That's where I would go. Good luck!

As a city dweller, I don't think it's that big of a distraction. The bigger distraction is the annoying commute to get out of the small neighborhood in Einstein to do anything resembling fun. That's what I heard from most of the students I met at a mixer.

NYU has better clinical opportunities and will open more doors for you IMO. That's where I would go. Good luck!

Just fyi, I'm a city dweller as well. Have commuted to einstein and it really isn't that bad. The constant sounds of ambulances down 2nd ave however...though I still love my ny.

Thank you all your feedback was really helpful! but new dimension to this dilemma: einstein is offering me $15,000 scholarship.
so my heart now says NYU, but my mind says einstein! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thank you all your feedback was really helpful! but new dimension to this dilemma: einstein is offering me $15,000 scholarship.
so my heart now says NYU, but my mind says einstein! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

take that 15,000 and use it to pay for taxis to manhattan, drinks, and food every weekend

dislaimer: on the waitlist for nyu, but 15k to live in nyc is a pretty nice deal. congrats! :thumbup:

No pun intended, but this is a no-brainer! Go with your heart and you will regret your decision less.

As great as it would be to be classmates (AECOM), you owe it to yourself to go where you feel like you best fit in/feel comfy/are happy. $15,000 is really great, but it's peanuts compared to what how much you'll be going into debt. I was advised to go by the general rule that if it wasn't greater or equal to half-scholarship, it shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Also, take each poster's advice with a grain of salt. Not everyone is nice enough to disclose their ulterior motives ;)

Good luck!
J

I think it'd be silly to give up 60k + interest considering you said you loved Einstein. Or is the 15k only for the first year?

One advantage of Einstein over NYU is the pass or fail option for the first 2 years. It fosters less dog eat dog competition and the students are far less stressed than at NYU. I guess it all balls down to where you feel more comfortable. I think Einstein students are way more laid back than most medical student in the NYC area. So it all depends on your preference..

Both schools are p/f first 2 years...moot point.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are insane to turn down a scholorship to a medical school.

whoever said 15k is pennies is also insane.

I should have clarified that it is 15,000 per year.

I interviewed at both schools and I think i would attend NYU even with the scholarship. Even though it is more expensive, I liked the location better and NYU offered a global health program similar to einstein which I liked.

I would also consider the living cost difference when you factor the difference in price, I think Einstein would be significantly cheaper for housing.

just curious is the 15, 000 the service and research scholarship?

Last edited:
Just fyi, I'm a city dweller as well. Have commuted to einstein and it really isn't that bad. The constant sounds of ambulances down 2nd ave however...though I still love my ny.
hahaha got me there!

I interviewed at both schools and I think i would attend NYU even with the scholarship. Even though it is more expensive, I liked the location better and NYU offered a global health program similar to einstein which I liked.

I would also consider the living cost difference when you factor the difference in price, I think Einstein would be significantly cheaper for housing.

just curious is the 15, 000 the service and research scholarship?

yea it is..even though i got the award before i even submitted my app. and since i got it the day after my accptance at nyu, it makes me wonder if they did it to lure me into coming to AECOM..but who knows! :idea:

yea it is..even though i got the award before i even submitted my app. and since i got it the day after my accptance at nyu, it makes me wonder if they did it to lure me into coming to AECOM..but who knows! :idea:

If you don't like the idea of the Bronx....go with NYU, even considering the money. 60k over 4 years is worth greater happiness. I'd personally rather be in more debt and happy....then less debt and not enjoying my life. Just my two cents. I don't think 15k/year is enough to make a difference, but this will vary from person to person.

You'll pay it back, don't worry. Everyone does.

(I will also admit I have a thing against Einstein, in that I really did not enjoy the Bronx. I am clearly biased, and I think I have well-established that bias on these boars)

what a mess to be in.
Einstein housing is cheap, education is great, free tuition for the extra year is a bonus, people are nice and genuine. A first year NYU student told me that he would be very happy if he had come to Einstein. School will pay for your international trip for sure, housing is right across the street, everything is right there. Being the only school in the Bronx as opposed to competing with the other ones in Manhattan. If you drop your Einstein acceptance, I might be the first one in line. If I were you, I would put the "national namel" factor aside, take the scholarship, and choose Einstein. See you in August.

I think Einstein's only advantage is housing, but NYU's got decent (much improved) housing. As a fellow city dweller, the neighborhoods do make a huge diff, I can walk a 10 block radius in any direction @ NYU and get everything I need, whereas in the Bronx...things are a bit tougher to come by, it's a lot more residential.

I think living @ NYU makes you feel more integrated with the city and its people whereas @ Einstein, you feel like an isolated community of med students until you begin 3rd year.

NYU definitely wins on location but Einstein wins in housing and cost of attendance (given your scholarship). Considering 60K in scholarship, I would pick Einstein over NYU.

SO. What's the verdict then? Einstein or NYU? :)

The final verdict is NYU! Yea, i am going to be paying 88k plus interest more there but it was my first choice and a dream to be in the city. And there would be none of this confusion had einstein not given me the scholarship. It is ALOT of money but for me, NYU is also a golden opportunity that I may never get again and might regret not taking it in the future.

But thank you for your help! good luck everyone :)

The final verdict is NYU! Yea, i am going to be paying 88k plus interest more there but it was my first choice and a dream to be in the city. And there would be none of this confusion had einstein not given me the scholarship. It is ALOT of money but for me, NYU is also a golden opportunity that I may never get again and might regret not taking it in the future.

Congrats! And good luck! I think it's sometimes better to follow your heart rather than the money...especially if it's less than 100k.

Aw, sorry I won't be seeing you next year but best of luck!!

quoting Radiohead: Idioteque

"Take the money and run." 3rd and 4th years are rotations anyways and Einstein is arguably just as good.

Edit: I just noticed you made your decision. I'm sure you'll thrive wherever you go to school. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! And good luck! I think it's sometimes better to follow your heart rather than the money...especially if it's less than 100k.

Before I applied and had difficult choices, I was a "follow the money" guy all the way.

Then I faced one of these dilemmas myself, and suddenly it wasn't so simple anymore.

And I followed my gut and heart over my brain (that part of me that still says "follow the money"). Gut and heart outnumbered brain 2 to 1.

See you (the OP) at NYU.

This will be my last post on SDN for a long time, maybe for good. Going on walkabout on the other side of the globe for the next 6 weeks...then its on to NYC.

Before I applied and had difficult choices, I was a "follow the money" guy all the way.

Then I faced one of these dilemmas myself, and suddenly it wasn't so simple anymore.

And I followed my gut and heart over my brain (that part of me that still says "follow the money"). Gut and heart outnumbered brain 2 to 1.

See you (the OP) at NYU.

This will be my last post on SDN for a long time, maybe for good. Going on walkabout on the other side of the globe for the next 6 weeks...then its on to NYC.

cant wait to meet ya and all the others!

I had to make the same decision earlier and I picked NYU! See you in August!! We won't regret our decision ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.