Age thing

notinlove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, just met a girl who is very pretty and witty... she's a first year resident at another institution.

Me. I am about to graduate from my residency and move to another big city to start my job.

Only met her briefly a couple of times at meetings. Saw her again at a conference recently and then we went out for a night. (I asked her, and she agreed to go out.)

Since then couldn't help but think of her! Spoke to her once briefly this week over the telephone. Too busy to drive to her city to visit. I didn't even bring that up.

I really feel like there could be something. Of all the girls that I'd dated before, she made me feel different!! Is this love :love:???

My big concern: what do you all think about age difference? She's 23 and I am 32! When she found out how "old" I was, she didn't seem to be put off by this. Rather, she commented how "young" she was!

Any of you with age gap more than five years... how did you manage?

Members don't see this ad.

can't comment on the residency thing since i don't know what it's like (i'll be starting med school this fall, but as for the age gap i think it really depends on the individual. i was 19 and dated a guy who was 11 years older than me and it worked out just fine. (i didn't know how old he was though when we first began dating-he looked incredibly young) he was also very witty and had a great personality---we got along so well it was as though there was no age difference at all. Our relationship was very good and lasted about three years but we broke up a few months ago b/c of issues that were out of our hands. long story short, it can def. work as long as you guys can click (and she can get over the ekk factor, which in this case doesn't seem to be a problem). Don't be held back because of it. Go for it! :luck:

Okay, just met a girl who is very pretty and witty... she's a first year resident at another institution.

Me. I am about to graduate from my residency and move to another big city to start my job.

Only met her briefly a couple of times at meetings. Saw her again at a conference recently and then we went out for a night. (I asked her, and she agreed to go out.)

Since then couldn't help but think of her! Spoke to her once briefly this week over the telephone. Too busy to drive to her city to visit. I didn't even bring that up.

I really feel like there could be something. Of all the girls that I'd dated before, she made me feel different!! Is this love :love:???

My big concern: what do you all think about age difference? She's 23 and I am 32! When she found out how "old" I was, she didn't seem to be put off by this. Rather, she commented how "young" she was!

I'm almost 30 and the thought of dating anyone that young makes me gag.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Only you can KNOW if you are in love. Manage what? Age smage... big frikkinn deal. If you like her then you will figure it out.

2) How is she a 23 year old resident exactly???

Don't worry about it. Have fun and enjoy your time together. I've always preferred dating guys older and more experienced than me.

1) Only you can KNOW if you are in love. Manage what? Age smage... big frikkinn deal. If you like her then you will figure it out.

2) How is she a 23 year old resident exactly???

I was wondering SAME thing. Did she start med school at 15?

Is this love? It's probably a bit premature to declare that right now, but it's definitely possible. As for the age gap, I've always wondered how to handle generational differences. Do either of you make TV references that the other doesn't understand? I have a few shirts with some pretty iconic stuff on them, and I get a "What's that?" from classmates every so often. :laugh:

Basically, if neither one of you has problem with the age gap then it isn't a problem. Just keep in mind that she probably doesn't know who Mork and Mindy were or the great taste of New Coke(tm). :)

A guy in my class started med school at 19, which would make him 23 year old resident as well. Some people are really motivated!

-X

[/B]

I was wondering SAME thing. Did she start med school at 15?

One of my dearest friends is 23 and will turn 24 shortly after she starts residency. She entered college just before her 18th birthday (I think) and is completing a six year program. She's young, but as mature as any other intern I've met.

I'm 26 and dated a guy who was 10 years my senior (but also in medical school) last year. It didn't work out for a number of reasons, but age wasn't one of them. It was actually a pretty awesome, eye-opening relationship for BOTH of us. Despite the age difference there wasn't much of a maturity difference between the two of us.

In any case, I don't think the age difference should be a big stumbling block. If you like her and she likes you, and you "click" and you both treat eachother well then that's what should matter. (Words of wisdom from my mom when I told her about the 35 year-old!)

I guess I am just wondering why do you even think about the age difference..is not as if she was 18...Go for it.

..thought that americans finish high school at 18..then 4 years of premed..then another 4 years of med school...?

if she is a foreign graduate....the age is just right...to start residency..

haha

Last edited:
she can't be 23 and be a resident

anyways, who cares about the age. i think old grandpas are hot! i like to sit on their laps!

I have a friend who started med school at 18. She got her high school GED at 14...finished UG at 18. She will finish med school at 22, and be a resident at 22-26. I think almost anyone capable of getting into med school could get their GED at 14. Most of us just don't. I wish I had...sigh.

I know plenty of couples with age difference > 5 years, and even >10 years. I know one very happy couple where hubby is 12 years senior his wife. Only you know if the relationship will work out. Take a plunge - go for it!

I don't find there to be any problem with age differences. As long as you're both mature people who accept that there is an age difference from the beginning. But, if the age difference does bother you now, it will probably bother you more even later down the road if things work out.

The worst thing is to be with someone to later find out they feel circumstantial quantitative and qualatative things like age, race, religion, career path, etc. do not mesh with their own and they could become age-ist, racist, etc. right before your eyes. :laugh:

So, there is nothing wrong, imo, with this age difference. 23 & 32 is really not much of an age difference anyways...it totally works :)

gluck, hope it works out :luck:

angel.

I'm 23 and my Bf is 29.. I don't think age is important, as long as you are both ok with it and you find the right person for you.. age difference maybe means different lifestyles. but if you are both up for it.. go for it!

You're 32 and she's 23?? Use the 2-7 rule.

32 / 2 = 16 + 7 = 23.

You're golden.:thumbup:

I have a friend who started med school at 18. She got her high school GED at 14...finished UG at 18. She will finish med school at 22, and be a resident at 22-26. I think almost anyone capable of getting into med school could get their GED at 14. Most of us just don't. I wish I had...sigh.

How did your friend get her GED at 14, when according to the American Council on Education's website (the entity administering the GED)

" The GED Tests are not administered to persons less than 16 years of age. Most jurisdictions require a person to be 17 years and over."

I can understand someone being a resident at 23 due to a BS/MD program, but this... And for the record, I think most of us are happy to have GRADUATED from high school although I would hate to speak for everyone.:D

A doctor that I work with is 36 years old and hes married to a 24 year old. Also, my fiance's father (divorced from her mother) is married to a 26 year old and hes 45. Both seem to be successful marrages and things seem to be going well. Its possible.