Things You Wish You Knew

SupportiveRelationships

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things you wish you knew (or knew earlier) about your partner's experience in med school? What would have helped you understand your partner better, or offer better support to your partner?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I knew what he was experiencing emotionally during med school. If only he opened up to me I would have understood but he internalized everything and it was too late to compromise.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I knew what he was experiencing emotionally during med school. If only he opened up to me I would have understood but he internalized everything and it was too late to compromise.

Thank you so much for sharing this. Do you know what he was experiencing emotionally? Do you have a sense now of what specific things you didn't understand back then?

Thank you so much for sharing this. Do you know what he was experiencing emotionally? Do you have a sense now of what specific things you didn't understand back then?

He was under so much pressure to do well and make good grades, he forgot about our social lives. I hnestly did not understand until he discussed it long after the break up. He was very sad when we broke up but I didn't know the extend of the hurt until years after. Now, we are the best of friends.

I wish I knew how to be more easy going with his schedule. The week prior to an exam I often was frustrated with my SO for not being emotionally available, and I thought I could get him to talk with me by force. But I quickly realized that if I backed off during his most stressful periods, he was less frustrated with me afterwards and usually came around asking what he missed. Now, he's in step one studying, and my most important question is "is this a fight that is worth it" because if I even waver a bit when answering that, it's not important enough to pull him away. Obviously some things require his time, but mostly if I'm laid back our lives are way easier.

I wish I knew what problems he had with the subjects and what he'd like to learn better. Somehow we never discussed it but know thinking back I guess it would have made easier for us to get on better