Advice for incoming fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsanchez123c

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, any advice for incoming fellow starting in July. Did chief year which was purely administrative and feel rusty clinically. Passed ABIM board exam already. Living situation is already in order. Any tips to be somewhat prepared for 7/1.

Members don't see this ad.

There is not much you can do to avoid a steep learning curve and you will feel more incompetent than an intern on their first day in the very beginning because there will be many details you'll have to manage, but unlike intern year you'll be expected to have an answer and there is no senior to turn to for help. But everyone goes through that, so it's just a matter of figuring it out during your transition to fellowship.

I would make sure your personal life is in good order as you have already because, at least at my program, there wasn't much time for personal life first year. And if you want to read something, a book that I didn't read but I wish I had in the beginning of first year is Cotton's Practical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. I looked at it recently and it looks quite useful. If you can get your hands on ASGE videos those are very useful too.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, any advice for incoming fellow starting in July. Did chief year which was purely administrative and feel rusty clinically. Passed ABIM board exam already. Living situation is already in order. Any tips to be somewhat prepared for 7/1.
A lot of clinical inpatient GI is just straight up common sense and understanding of stable vs unstable. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just chill...first year will be hard.... but everyone learns to scope by the end of it.... light at the end of tunnel at the end of first year... the theoretical aspects are not rocket science... don't bother reading much now... use the time to have fun...

Take on a week or two of GI consults to get into the groove and re-fire those neurons, do some hospitalist shifts, make some money, and travel to wherever you can that you aren't COVID limited. Nothing you read now will stick or matter, you've done the boards thats all you need. Get your other stuff- financial, house, kids stuff in order. This is the last time you will have your schedule to manage for quite a few years, make it count, don't worry about fellowship, if you got this far the next year will suck but you will do great.

honestly i didnt think my 1st year sucked. was busy but still not even close to as bad as intern year or really any year of residency