Accepted UCSD, should I withdraw UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ComradeDoktor

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi gang! I was lucky enough to be accepted to UCSD early in the cycle. I just interviewed at UCLA, and the impression I got was that they're very similar schools. UCSD and UCLA are only a few spots apart in the US News rankings (as much as those matter), both are organ-based with p/f grading, and both give you exposure to a county hospital (or county-like, since San Diego doesn't have a real county hospital) population. I thought about withdrawing from UCLA after the interview because I figured I'd get basically the same experience at UCSD closer to my parents and for a cheaper cost of living. Do you guys agree with my assessment, or is there any reason I should consider UCLA over UCSD? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can always compare financial aid packages later on in the season if accepted to UCLA. Plus, you can have as many acceptances that you want but only have to make a decision May 15th. If you get accepted to UCLA, and hypothetically they give more aid than UCSD that makes it cheaper, you may be able to use it to get better aid (reducing cost even more!!!) at UCSD. If the hypothetical situation doesn't occur, then you want lose anything and can still go to UCSD. That's what I would do. It's like playing poker without all the risks. Good luck and congrats on your acceptance.

I agree with the previous poster that you should wait for financials.

Edit: Don't agree that you should try to play UCSD and UCLA against each other to get better financial aid, that sounds weird and probably wouldn't work. But it can't hurt to wait and see what's cheaper.

Regarding considerations between UCLA vs. UCSD, have you spent significant time in both cities? LA is a big, crazy city with lots to do and a lot of traffic. San Diego (and even more so La Jolla) is more mellow and has less pollution and a better climate. Personally I prefer San Diego, but I know a lot of people who love LA.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already interviewed at a school, it is in your best interest to wait it out until you get a final decision.

If you end up having to choose between the two, I'd advise going to second looks to get a feel for what your classmates at the respective schools are like, particularly which ones you think you would succeed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.