ABPS name change...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I received another questionnaire today from the ABPS asking what my thoughts are about the name being changed to the "American Board of Foot and Anke Surgery". I replied that I am not in favor of this, as I think keeping it "Podiatry" has value (to me).

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have really strong feelings either way because I can see good and bad to both. The main advantage of changing the name, as I see it, is reflecting the true scope of what we can do, as there are still people who don't realize what we are trained to do. But just since I have been in school, there have been a lot of name changes; NBPME to APMLE, PM&S-36 to PMSR w Cert, ABPS to ABFAS (potentially), etc. I really don't think these name changes do much, and just add to the confusion about who we as podiatrists are. I personally don't think much more could be gained from the name change as what could be gained by more patient education. I guess I am leaning towards keeping the name, but like I said, I can see the other side of it too.

I don't have really strong feelings either way because I can see good and bad to both. The main advantage of changing the name, as I see it, is reflecting the true scope of what we can do, as there are still people who don't realize what we are trained to do. But just since I have been in school, there have been a lot of name changes; NBPME to APMLE, PM&S-36 to PMSR w Cert, ABPS to ABFAS (potentially), etc. I really don't think these name changes do much, and just add to the confusion about who we as podiatrists are. I personally don't think much more could be gained from the name change as what could be gained by more patient education. I guess I am leaning towards keeping the name, but like I said, I can see the other side of it too.

Thanks for your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I don't see the benefit of keeping "podiatric" in the name other than for sentimental value or for trying to "keep our identity".

The positives to me would seem to be that the rewording might make our certification more clear to insurances and hospital deciding whether to give us privileges. The podfather argument that podiatric surgery doesn't really exist, only foot and ankle surgery also is a valid point.

At the end of the day, this arguing is most likely much ado about nothing and will have little tangible effect if the change is implemented.

I have always felt we are ashamed of the word podiatry. Instead of improving the view of the term, we run from it.

I understand that to ensure everyone knows we work on both feet and ankles, they push the term. Since it really doesn't push the fact we can do H&Ps and medically manage our patients maybe it should be the American Board of Foot and Ankle Physician Surgeons. Maybe we should say things like the "orthopaedic trained podiatrist." Another term I have heard in podiatry. What the heck does that mean?

To me if goes back to the b.s. that ACFAS pushes, the attitude of the have's and the have not's. I remember a high ranking ACFAS member told me he was glad they separate from the APMA because he was tired of talking to toenail cutters.

To me if goes back to the b.s. that ACFAS pushes, the attitude of the have's and the have not's. I remember a high ranking ACFAS member told me he was glad they separate from the APMA because he was tired of talking to toenail cutters.

Wow...

Disclaimer: I'm a pre-pod.

That being said, I've always thought all these name changes have been a way to create a divide between recent podiatry graduates and older graduates who might have had different standards (there are pods out there who never did a resideny, etc etc) and therefore provide different levels of care to their patients. These name changes (I think) are a way to completely rebrand the podiatry career. I think it certainly alienates the older podiatrists, but at the end of the day, if the older podiatrists have done well for themselves so far, this will not change because of a rebranding. But with new standards (3 year residency, etc) comes new podiatrists and a new brand.

I have always felt we are ashamed of the word podiatry. Instead of improving the view of the term, we run from it.

Tell me about it! Some people even avoid using the "p" word when naming their practice.

Disclaimer: I'm a pre-pod.

That being said, I've always thought all these name changes have been a way to create a divide between recent podiatry graduates and older graduates who might have had different standards (there are pods out there who never did a resideny, etc etc) and therefore provide different levels of care to their patients. These name changes (I think) are a way to completely rebrand the podiatry career. I think it certainly alienates the older podiatrists, but at the end of the day, if the older podiatrists have done well for themselves so far, this will not change because of a rebranding. But with new standards (3 year residency, etc) comes new podiatrists and a new brand.

Most of the podiatrist that did not do a residency will be retiring in the next 10 years. Why change just to "weed" out those who have lesser training?

The question is are you better than someone who did not do a residency? Are you better than someone who did a 2 year program. Many of the great podiatrist did not do a residency or only did a 1 to 2 year residency.

Opthamologist used to be ENT surgeons that did a fellowship. Did they change their name because they no longer do ENT? No. We have enough things that divide our ranks as podiatrist, why add more?