ABFAS throws APMSA under the bus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most interesting thing concerning the mass resignation and questions about "how seats are filled", "is filling seats a sham", "should a mass resignation trigger a special election or a vote" is that in the end - none of us have a choice about being in any of these organizations ie. ABPM, ABFAS etc.

Should something happen at ABPM right now? I don't know - what do the bylaws say?
If you are at ABFAS right now - should you ask yourself - 'What process do we have if there was turmoil or complete turn over of the board and our leadership". Are our bylaws any better?
I've written above asking - I wonder how people will run for office. What will the election look like. Or will the appointees just get elected and continue their terms.

But the funniest thing to me about all of this remains - Our ability to do our jobs and practice and operate and get on insurance panels is intimately linked with these organizations who to some extent can do whatever they want. We can't quit or walk away from them. Most of us will ultimately filter into ABPM or ABFAS or maybe both. Both have a real time limit - you certify or you don't.

I believe above that Feli has indicated he intends to leave ABPM. What happens to him if he doesn't certify into ABFAS at the end of his 14 years? He's probably in trouble. He's taking a principled stand I suppose but most people don't have that luxury. You pick a tribe - its yours forever and your ability to practice and survive is intimately linked to it. You can get outraged. I suppose you can try to vote to change it (assuming you have people to vote for...). But you can't leave. You can't say - I'm done with ABPM, I'm going to ABFAS unless you are still very early in the process.
I have no out. I’m ride or die ABPM at this point. APMA I might quit in the next few years. I keep it for ACPM. 😒

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They're all gone. The BOD and ED for ABPM all left.
Every last one ...except president, who used the bylaws above loophole of being the "BOD" and re-filled a new hand-picked BOD.

There are technically still two BOD from last year listed on the website as of today, but their bios are deleted. A third is listed but was already stated as gone. I'm not even putting their names or the names of the many resignees since they probably have had a rough enough time this week, but it's not hard to figure out.

If you look at the ABPM emails from last year or early this year that were signed with the whole BOD and the exec director listed (10 BOD + exec director listed on most), all are confirmed resigned and/or deleted from the website. Again, I'm not going to rub salt in their wounds by listing names; I'm sure they're PO-ed they fell for the prez nonsense and drama and signing his countless emails "BOD" and statements with their names and pretending the BOD has his back for as long as they did. They were being used as fodder to add teeth to an obviously personal agenda and vendetta against ABFAS. I'm glad they got out eventually. I would applaud them for doing making a group resignation statement by not finishing their term as pawns. Orig post is here, but LCR tends to edit/delete them when you point them out, so screenshot is below also of the lies and chest-puffing...

"...And the ABPM will not back down. If necessary, this will continue long after my term as president. The entire BOD is behind this 100%...."

Entire BOD resigned, sir.

View attachment 370275
I must be looking at a different site The American Board of Podiatric Medicine (ABPM) lists 5 members with pics and profiles.

Members don't see this ad :)
....But the funniest thing to me about all of this remains ...
The memes?

:cool:

...I believe above that Feli has indicated he intends to leave ABPM. What happens to him if he doesn't certify into ABFAS at the end of his 14 years? He's probably in trouble. He's taking a principled stand I suppose but most people don't have that luxury. You pick a tribe - its yours forever and your ability to practice and survive is intimately linked to it. You can get outraged. I suppose you can try to vote to change it (assuming you have people to vote for...). But you can't leave. You can't say - I'm done with ABPM, I'm going to ABFAS unless you are still very early in the process.
I requested to suspend :
"...I would like my 2023 ABPM renew fees refunded, my MOC fees refunded (pro-rated for 10yr payment in 20xx) as soon as possible.

I want my ABPM membership suspended until Lee Rodgers is OUT, and I will re-evaluate at this time..."

I can reinstate ABPM later, if needed. I think they know 2023 will be 'extenuating circumstance' to say the least?
If they're like nearly any podiatry org, they won't refuse checks from someone who passes their exams with flying colors and does CME.
The ABPM has seen a big member increase in the past decade, but they've always sorta scavenged the crumbs from ABFAS in terms of membership, exams, etc. Their funding isn't infinite, and it's unlikely they'd refuse people who pass all exams easily and paid dues for years - yet left in their most polarizing times.
So yes, I requested refund and to suspend my ABPM membership status. That's my call, and maybe I'm stubborn... but I doubt I'm alone in my being unimpressed with their 2022-23 antics.

I'm not excited about giving money or member count to an org that lets this all happen. I have stated that awhile now. Now, I'm just not doing it.
The CAQ surgery and associated conflict is crazy, but I was trying to ride it out (as were the resigned BOD of ABPM, apparently).
I gave them a couple of comments yet kept paying dues, put LCR on ignore, deleted most of the dumb emails trashing ABFAS pass rates, SDN, calls for one board after insulting the other, etc. I knew those were mostly penned by him and not the ABPM overall.

Now, this week, the instant overhaul of the ABPM BOD with no member polling, no noms, no election, no comments, no consult or oversight, no explaination ("bylaws") is a joke, though. They just immediately replaced people who let this chaos happen for about a year with even worse people who were hand-picked by the prez who the outgoing BOD just abandoned -not without reason. That's bush league. And yeah, maybe LCR is a smart and rich and clever dude, but that's still no excuse. I won't contribute to that anymore. If things change, I will re-eval. We shall see.

Last edited:
I honestly do not care that much, positions are finite... Idk... I could care less. I'll pass the exams and live my life. He isn't Jordan Belfort hes a podiatrist... It's really not as spicy as you guys are making it.

The above saying "I've always hated bunions" is only kidding themself. They never learned it.
😁 That's reductive. You can like or dislike multiple things about our field that we do, that doesn't mean you didn't learn it. I graduated from an RRA program, got all my numbers easily, had a double boarded director that had his ABFAS Foot and RRA cert, one of the first (not grandfathered in) had overall good outcomes with expected occasional issues. That doesn't mean I can't dislike a particular procedure and choose instead to focus on things I enjoy doing.
I suppose it's more clear to say I've always hated elective/cosmetic bunions. I still perform such procedures on occasion when they are creating a medial eminence wound or similar issue, but the cosmetic bunions aren't for me. I'm happy to pass to partners that love doing them. They're more than happy to pass me wounds they don't like.
I think we all do things that aren't our favorite. I've been lucky enough to find a place that let's me focus on things I love to do, and that I have the training to do. Wound CAQ was perfect for me. Others, such as yourself, should have the option to focus on what they do well and have a board that represents their practice. Ideally, that would be one unified board. We'll see.
Good luck with your ABFAS case submissions.
Enjoy your day.

Reactions: 2 users
I graduated from an RRA program, got all my numbers easily

This means absolutely nothing in our profession. Our minimum “numbers” and the way they can be obtained are a complete joke.

This means absolutely nothing in our profession. Our minimum “numbers” and the way they can be obtained are a complete joke.
I agree. I knew many that "finished" numbers in a year with 8 people scrubbed into a case. My post only refers to my training, no one else's. Being trained and competent in something does not equal enjoying it.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been preoccupied.

First, I thank everyone for their support and encouragement for the ABPM’s goals.

Since the APMSA letter, including the false and ridiculous accusations about “me” and my posts on SDN being responsible for the student recruitment crisis, it caused some disagreement on how to move forward. The letter was clearly not written by the students. We were informed that APMSA delegates woke up to the same news that we did about their intent to terminate our agreement. The ABPM is 100% supportive of our students and we believe our actions introducing the CAQ in Podiatric Surgery and filing a lawsuit to reverse discrimination of DPMs to perform ankle surgery in Oregon are in the best interests of the students (future podiatrists).

We’ve attempted to communicate with the APMSA Delegates but it has been reported to us that our communications have not been shared with the Delegates by their ED and BOT because they are “under review” and not been “verified”.

There were several resignations of ABPM BOD. I am grateful to all of them for their hard work on behalf of our Board and our profession. But, as is evident here, the politics of podiatry can be tough on our leaders and disruptive to people’s lives. Personal attacks are completely inappropriate.

Those vacancies were filled by appointment in accordance with our bylaws. The appointees are a diverse group of young leaders who have first-hand experience with how ABPM’s advocacy can help remove barriers to practice. I am confident they will pay-it-forward for our next generation of young DPMs navigating the board certification process and entering practice. Please respect them as they become oriented in their new role.

It is true, and I’m not at all ashamed to reveal that I approached a couple Diplomates who are part of the SDN community to see if they were interested being nominated to the BOD.

Two weeks ago, about 40 people, including the entire ABPM BOD and several committee members along with staff and other interested parties met at ABPM HQ. We created a strategic plan for the next 3, 5, and 10 years and that plan will be carried out.

The ABPM is committed to our mission of moving Podiatry Forward. We will not waver.

But there is a swamp in the profession preventing podiatry from advancing. It will be drained and the alligators will have no place to hide.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Sorry for the delay, I’ve been preoccupied.

First, I thank everyone for their support and encouragement for the ABPM’s goals.

Since the APMSA letter, including the false and ridiculous accusations about “me” and my posts on SDN being responsible for the student recruitment crisis, it caused some disagreement on how to move forward. The letter was clearly not written by the students. We were informed that APMSA delegates woke up to the same news that we did about their intent to terminate our agreement. The ABPM is 100% supportive of our students and we believe our actions introducing the CAQ in Podiatric Surgery and filing a lawsuit to reverse discrimination of DPMs to perform ankle surgery in Oregon are in the best interests of the students (future podiatrists).

We’ve attempted to communicate with the APMSA Delegates but it has been reported to us that our communications have not been shared with the Delegates by their ED and BOT because they are “under review” and not been “verified”.

There were several resignations of ABPM BOD. I am grateful to all of them for their hard work on behalf of our Board and our profession. But, as is evident here, the politics of podiatry can be tough on our leaders and disruptive to people’s lives. Personal attacks are completely inappropriate.

Those vacancies were filled by appointment in accordance with our bylaws. The appointees are a diverse group of young leaders who have first-hand experience with how ABPM’s advocacy can help remove barriers to practice. I am confident they will pay-it-forward for our next generation of young DPMs navigating the board certification process and entering practice. Please respect them as they become oriented in their new role.

It is true, and I’m not at all ashamed to reveal that I approached a couple Diplomates who are part of the SDN community to see if they were interested being nominated to the BOD.

Two weeks ago, about 40 people, including the entire ABPM BOD and several committee members along with staff and other interested parties met at ABPM HQ. We created a strategic plan for the next 3, 5, and 10 years and that plan will be carried out.

The ABPM is committed to our mission of moving Podiatry Forward. We will not waver.

But there is a swamp in the profession preventing podiatry from advancing. It will be drained and the alligators will have no place to hide.
All but 3 board members (you, past president and now interim ED) resigned less than 2 weeks after your strategic plan meeting after failing to get your resignation? Doesn’t sound like they were in agreement with the plan you’re so proud of. Sounds like you’re the swamp needing drained. Your term is almost up. Hurry up and get gone.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I am not editing any posts now, but I want to remind everyone that "treating others with kindness and respect" is one of the TOS. Irrespective of your views, personal attacks are not allowed.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Keep in mind y’all... There’s a lot of behind the scene stuff going on we are not privy to.

In the end, I just hope whatever comes from this helps move our profession in the right direction. Be it you are certified through ABPM, ABFAS, CWS, ABLES, ABMSP, what have you... I know we all have our agreements/disagreements but we’re all still colleagues. 🥸

Reactions: 4 users
Ok I am just trying to help so therefore I am posting the below information for anyone to use as needed:

I almost choked on my food while reading this. My wife is freaked out. I explained what happened and told her about the podiatry version of the red wedding. She said the ABPM only needs to survive until you are ready to retire. 🤣

• Haha
There is absolutely a future beyond this temporary diversion where the boards are unified, there’s a single pathway to certification and everyone is accounted for. Our profession is deep with capable genuine leaders.

I will donate my requested ABPM refunds (if they grant it) to SDN...

This is hilarious:
Prez states ABPM BOD backs him ("...The entire BOD is behind this 100%..."),
sends emails signed by whole BOD and makes public statements on their behalf,
BOD all resign (almost surely after trying to vote him out),
he appoints new BOD instantly ("filled by appointment") without any explanation or process,
acts as if nothing happened ("...We will not waver...". :rolleyes:

...For those following along at home, his "we" = "me," and there's probably one vote preventing his unanimous impeach. But that was all cleverly fixed this week ("...appointees are a diverse group of young leaders..."). I'd imagine we'll hear it direct from one or many of the outgoing ABPM BOD or that they have to publish meeting minutes at some point soon?? Then again, with all of the recent shady dealings, maybe those records will get scrubbed and skipped over also. Pathetic set of events.

What profound kindness and respect for the dues-paying members and profession overall. Nearly everything he posts on SDN is overt or covert self-serving propaganda also... at least he admits to recruiting replacement BOD apointees via SDN. Lol.

Keep in mind y’all... There’s a lot of behind the scene stuff going on we are not privy to...
You can say that again! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is absolutely a future beyond this temporary diversion where the boards are unified, there’s a single pathway to certification and everyone is accounted for. Our profession is deep with capable genuine leaders.
Perhaps I’ve not been in this field long enough to see the capable leadership that you speak of.

In the future, I hope I can be as optimistic about our profession as you.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps I’ve not been in this field long enough to see the capable leadership that you speak of.

In the future, I hope I can be as optimistic about our profession as you.
1682820056405.png

...In all seriousness, the outgoing ABPM board of directors who tried to fix this, probably to fullest extent allowed by bylaws before resigning as a group, are legit in my book.

Sure, too little too late, but they still made a statement with their departure actions and called attention to the ruse. They could've sat there and buried their head let more happen. Their leaving shows it's a wild card acting alone.

This thread has been derailing since yesterday. That was not the goal of the OP. That said, we are locking it to prevent further derailments. Please keep the original message in mind when creating future threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.