AACPMAS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i've recieved scholl interview! a little weird it is going to be online and i won't be able to see campus.
I went to one of their information days and am happy to connect about my experience. I have an interview scheduled as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I just submitted my application yesterday (it still says received right now) and I only applied to midwestern since that was the most realistic for me with my situation. My transcript from my primary college has been received (application is still not verified), however I took 2 science courses at a community college, which right now is closed due to the situation, and they only mail out transcripts so I’m waiting to hear from them through email. I have sent in two LOR’s so far but I plan on sending more. I have not taken the MCAT since it was cancelled but I’ve signed up for one on 6/27/30. As an undergrad, I am enrolled in one of the top 5 public universities so my stats are not that great.
Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.45
non-science: 3.49
I have 15 hours of podiatrist shadowing, along with ~150 hours of volunteering in a hospital, and addition ~100 hours of healthcare experience. I also have part-time work experience as an accountant and was a president of a health-care student run organization, and have ~40 hours of research.
Do you guys think I have a shot? I spoke with a respresentive from midwestern and he told me that they are looking at applications without MCAT scores but still want the mcat done by the time the program would start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN :)

488 on the real thing.

sGPA: 3.46
cGPA: 3.63

Lmk everyone's thoughts on my chances of getting interviews at (in order of preference but obviously im humble to get anything)
TUSPM
NYCPM
Kent
Barry
Scholl
AZPOD

GPAs are great.

You know where you stand with MCAT.

Getting in is not the concern. Standardized testing is the concern.

Some schools will overlook your MCAT due to the pandemic this cycle.

If you get in make sure you are working on how to beat standardized testing.

Otherwise you will be in a world of hurt.

Just received an II from AZPod this morning... I am amazed at how fast this all worked. I submitted my application to AACPMAS last Wednesday, it was verfied by Thursday morning, and I received an II from AZPod this Monday.

Any one who interviewed at AZPod, can you share your experience or any tips?

It will be a virtual interview! Bummer I won't be able to do the campus tour along with the interview, but I've seen the campus many times! I just hoped to see the new Pod lab they put together recently!

Just received an II from AZPod this morning... I am amazed at how fast this all worked. I submitted my application to AACPMAS last Wednesday, it was verfied by Thursday morning, and I received an II from AZPod this Monday.

Any one who interviewed at AZPod, can you share your experience or any tips?

It will be a virtual interview! Bummer I won't be able to do the campus tour along with the interview, but I've seen the campus many times! I just hoped to see the new Pod lab they put together recently!

Congrats! did you only have one transcript to submit (and was it submitted to AACPMAS via mail or online)
im seeing everyone get verified within 24 hours and im a bit scared because 2 of my transcripts are mail-in only and I think thats taking extra time because of covid-19

my online submitted transcript reached aacpmas in 24 hours

Congrats! did you only have one transcript to submit (and was it submitted to AACPMAS via mail or online)
im seeing everyone get verified within 24 hours and im a bit scared because 2 of my transcripts are mail-in only and I think thats taking extra time because of covid-19

I only had 2 transcripts to submit, both of which were thankfully able to submit electronically! Your school's don't have e-transcript submission options? Either way, keep your head up! They keep looking at applications until the deadline I've heard!

@comedydoctor
" I was very nervous during my mcat (which is no excuse I know) so that could be why there was a drop from practice scores"

I hope this was a one time issue, but if you have felt similar during undergrad exams, then I suggest taking care of the anxiety before you sit for the next MCAT exam. Feeling anxious is common before an exam, and as you take multiple exams and prepare better for them, the overall anxiety decreases, but if you feel like it is becoming an issue with your performance, then seek medical help before the next exam you take.

I think you can do a lot better so prepare well! GL!

I’m in the same situation! I have one transcript submitted because it was done electronically and it was from my primary school, but for my other one it’s mail only so it’s taking longer! I spoke with a representative from AACPMAS and he told me that unfortunately application status won’t say completed/verified until all transcripts are received (which tbh sucks) but he did tell me to contact the actual program to see if they can still review your application bc due to covid, they are changing policies. Hope it all works out for you!

I’m in the same situation! I have one transcript submitted because it was done electronically and it was from my primary school, but for my other one it’s mail only so it’s taking longer! I spoke with a representative from AACPMAS and he told me that unfortunately application status won’t say completed/verified until all transcripts are received (which tbh sucks) but he did tell me to contact the actual program to see if they can still review your application bc due to covid, they are changing policies. Hope it all works out for you!

Yup, We have to wait for all transcripts to reach AACPMAS before they can verify everything and a couple programs said they will wait for verification before reviewing apps because now without mcat they really need the transcripts to be confirmed to base interviews off of. They assured many people apply march/April in regular cycles and with the pandemic they know mail-in transcripts might take extra time to reach.

Good luck to you too! I wish I requested my transcripts to be sent to AACPMAS before-hand but I thought I had to complete transcript entry on my own first and submit my apps before I requested transcripts to be sent

Members don't see this ad :)
Do our rec letters need to be uploaded too in order for the app to get verified or is it just transcripts?

I do have a Pod letter and a Pre-Health Committee letter from my undergrad that will eventually be uploaded but I'm wondering if we can get interviews before those are up

Do our rec letters need to be uploaded too in order for the app to get verified or is it just transcripts?

I do have a Pod letter and a Pre-Health Committee letter from my undergrad that will eventually be uploaded but I'm wondering if we can get interviews before those are up
Verification is just transcripts. I think each school might have their own rules about letters of rec and interviews.

Does anyone know what they are doing for the MCAT requirement? As I was sitting for my mcat this month but it is cancelled again :/

Does anyone know what they are doing for the MCAT requirement? As I was sitting for my mcat this month but it is cancelled again :/

There is nothing you can do about that as of now. If you are interested in a specific program, email them and ask if they will interview you before taking and getting the MCAT score.

This goes for everyone applying: contact the programs directly for any update pertaining to admissions.

STATS:
non-science GPA: 4.0
MCAT august 2019: 488 (3/27/2020 MCAT canceled and 5/29/2020 MCAT on for now -- all other May 2020 mcat are canceled)

Applied to: Barry, Kent, NYCPM, Temple, AZPod, Scholl
Waitlisted: AZPod
Already Interviewed: Barry and Kent
Interviews scheduled: NYCPM and Temple
Pending response: Scholl

Trying not to be discouraged but Kent brought up the low MCAT ( I feel that NYCPM and Temple will too). I'm studying to retake but I would rather move it to June 2020 because I'm worried May might get canceled (also my exam is in Staten Island, NY with a lot of covid cases) if I wait it out for them to cancel before rescheduling myself then June dates will also fill up which I feel the schools don't realize.

AACPMAS removed mcat as a requirement for the rest of the cycle so I submitted my app and I heard if you receive interviews you're likely accepted. I'm so confused because the individual schools are not going exactly with AACPMAS

I would talk to the schools you’re considering and then maybe move. Also, how long did it take you to hear back from Barry? I’m currently waiting on their decision

STATS:
non-science GPA: 4.0
MCAT august 2019: 488 (3/27/2020 MCAT canceled and 5/29/2020 MCAT on for now -- all other May 2020 mcat are canceled)

Applied to: Barry, Kent, NYCPM, Temple, AZPod, Scholl
Waitlisted: AZPod
Already Interviewed: Barry and Kent
Interviews scheduled: NYCPM and Temple
Pending response: Scholl

Trying not to be discouraged but Kent brought up the low MCAT ( I feel that NYCPM and Temple will too). I'm studying to retake but I would rather move it to June 2020 because I'm worried May might get canceled (also my exam is in Staten Island, NY with a lot of covid cases) if I wait it out for them to cancel before rescheduling myself then June dates will also fill up which I feel the schools don't realize.

AACPMAS removed mcat as a requirement for the rest of the cycle so I submitted my app and I heard if you receive interviews you're likely accepted. I'm so confused because the individual schools are not going exactly with AACPMAS

How did you study for the MCAT?

Live Kaplan Course
Reviewed mix of kaplan/examkrackers books (reading sections I had difficulty with)
Took about 10-13 practice exams (including aamc 1,2,3) 3rd party exam score range 490-496 (AAMC 1: 495 AAMC 2: 490 AAMC 3:493)

Currently working on UWORLD (PS/CARs average 56-63% and CP average is 45 and BB is 50)
Khan Academy once Uworld is finished and taking 3rd party and AAMC test 4

I didn't use uworld so can't comment on it but the AAMC and KA materials were very helpful for my prep.
If you don't see an increase in the subjects then also get the AAMC section banks...those really helped me with PS and BS. Since you're already scoring in the 490s from the AAMC FLs, I would continue to use their material and not 3rd party stuff, it's unfortunate you scored lower on the real thing but it can be done. You can fix the content issue and increase the score substantially.

I asked how you studied for it because based on your GPAs you can do a lot better, so hopefully, you will be able to take it soon. Good luck!

I would talk to the schools you’re considering and then maybe move. Also, how long did it take you to hear back from Barry? I’m currently waiting on their decision

I got an interview at Barry a couple hours after my application was verified but haven't received any news on acceptance/rejection.

Just got into Kent with scholarship! Happy to receive some good news after all this MCAT pandemic cancelations and confusion of whether the schools still really want the MCAT or not. Gonna keep doing Uworld prep because I paid for it and to brush up on sciences and but Kent helped me gain some confidence for my interviews next week and their "tough questions"

I got an interview at Barry a couple hours after my application was verified but haven't received any news on acceptance/rejection.

Just got into Kent with scholarship! Happy to receive some good news after all this MCAT pandemic cancelations and confusion of whether the schools still really want the MCAT or not. Gonna keep doing Uworld prep because I paid for it and to brush up on sciences and but Kent helped me gain some confidence for my interviews next week and their "tough questions"

congrats! good luck on your future interviews

Hey guys! congrats on all your offers!

I have accepted my seat at CSPM Samuel Merritt. IF anyone else is going there, I would love to connect, especially since class sizes are so small.

Good luck to all those applying!

I just accepted my seat at CSPM too! I'm so excited to start this fall! Do you know if there's a group or something with other students?

Hi everyone. Just a quick question.

As many know, the 2019-2020 cycle of applications has had the MCAT requirement waived.

With the cancellation of many MCAT test dates, and presumably more (based on assumption), do you guys think the MCAT requirements will be waived, in part, for the 2020-2021 cycle? I.e., applicants who would start classes at a CPM in Fall of 2021? Just wanted to hear yours guys thoughts. Thank you, and stay healthy!

With the cancellation of many MCAT test dates, and presumably more (based on assumption), do you guys think the MCAT requirements will be waived, in part, for the 2020-2021 cycle? I.e., applicants who would start classes at a CPM in Fall of 2021? Just wanted to hear yours guys thoughts. Thank you, and stay healthy!
Nope. No chance of that happening because the application cycle is open for almost a year

Hi everyone. Just a quick question.

As many know, the 2019-2020 cycle of applications has had the MCAT requirement waived.

I think it’s an evolving situation. With how the GRE and LSAT at the moment proctoring at home, I could see the MCAT following suit later on. This would allow CPMs to use the MCAT still. Most likely 2020-2021 will need a MCAT

Nope. No chance of that happening because the application cycle is open for almost a year
Those were my thoughts as well. However, just nervous that if I want to take the MCAT again and get a better score, that I won't have time to do so before the application cycle opens this year (August 5, 2020 I believe).

I'll be joining CSPM this fall! :)

With this whole covid-19 going on, do you guys think we'll be doing classes remotely the beginning of this year :eek:

Hey guys!

I made an account for last year's cycle just to get an idea what the costs are but I didnot apply at all. Recently, I logged in and the website said I was a re-applicant. I am curious if I am really categorized as a re-applicant since I was actually planning to apply for the next cycle.

I made an account for last year's cycle just to get an idea what the costs are but I didnot apply at all. Recently, I logged in and the website said I was a re-applicant. I am curious if I am really categorized as a re-applicant since I was actually planning to apply for the next cycle.
No, you're not re-applicant. You can call or chat with aacpmas to see what this is about.

I made an account and even sent a transcript in June when the last cycle was open but applied this cycle and didn't have any issues.

No, you're not re-applicant. You can call or chat with aacpmas to see what this is about.

I made an account and even sent a transcript in June when the last cycle was open but applied this cycle and didn't have any issues.

Is it detrimental to be a re-applicant? I only applied to one school late in the cycle this year. If I am not admitted I do intend to apply to more schools next cycle.

Is it detrimental to be a re-applicant? I only applied to one school late in the cycle this year. If I am not admitted I do intend to apply to more schools next cycle.

Doesn't matter.

Unless it was a character flaw / red flag that prevented you from getting in.

Even then, some of the larger schools will still take a gamble on you if stats check out.

- sGPA: 3.4
- cGPA: 3.9
- Research: 400+ hours non-clincal, 100+ clinical
- EC: 10 hours shadowing Pod & 200+ other doctors, Secretary of Pre-Med, Psych club. 100+ hours of volunteering at my church as a catechism teacher.
- Never took the MCAT since it was cancelled
- Going to apply to Temple, NYC, Kent, Barry, Scholl, & Midwestern. Maybe apply to the California schools depending if they want MCAT.

You're fine.

Pick top 3 and go from there.

For anyone without access to the information, here is the update email that AAMC put out today regarding MCAT (Sorry if there is a thread for this and I missed it)

Dear Examinee,
We know how greatly your life has been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and to say that this is a frustrating and challenging time is an understatement. Preparing for the MCAT exam and applying to medical school takes sustained effort and careful planning over several years. The challenges of COVID-19 have regrettably made it difficult to provide more information to you sooner as you make plans to take the MCAT exam. We thank you for your patience and are glad to share these updates that will help you move forward with your plans for taking the MCAT exam and applying to medical school.
1.) Registration for the updated 2020 MCAT Testing Calendar will open on May 7, 2020. Please visit our website for more information.
2.) We are increasing the number of test appointments in an attempt to provide enough seats for everyone who wants to test in 2020 and to allow for safe social distancing practices in the test centers.
  • Three new dates will be added to the testing calendar (June 28, September 27, and September 28).
  • Exams will be held three times per day on all test dates for the remainder of 2020. Standard start times will be 6:30 a.m., 12:15 p.m., and 6:00 p.m. each day. There may be some variations by test center. More information about start times, including start times for examinees who currently have 8:00 a.m. appointments, will be provided prior to registration opening.
3.) We are temporarily shortening the exam to 5 hours and 45 minutes for the remainder of 2020 test dates to accommodate the number of appointments offered per day at each test center.
  • Some of the field test questions in each section have been removed, and some administrative items, such as the tutorial and the end-of-day survey, have been reduced or removed to shorten the length of the exam.
  • We encourage you to use the online “Practice with MCAT Exam Features” tool to familiarize yourself with the exam functionality prior to test day in lieu of the tutorial. Visit the free resources section of the MCAT Official Prep Hub.
  • The exam will not be easier or harder than the full-length exam. You will still be tested on all four sections of the exam and are responsible for knowing the same concepts and skills covered on the full-length exam.
  • Scores are not changing. You will receive five scores from the exam: one from each of the four sections and one combined total score, just like examinees who took the full-length test.
  • Please visit our website to learn more about the shortened exam and access helpful FAQs.
4.) Scores will be reported within approximately two weeks for exams held from June 19 through August 1. MCAT scores from other test dates will be reported to examinees and medical schools in the typical time frame, which is about four weeks.
5.) Decisions will be made next week about the status of the May 29 exams and will be communicated by email. We will continue to follow local and state health guidance to determine which locations will be affected. At this time we anticipate testing in some centers, but not all.
6.) Please keep in mind that as the spread of COVID-19 continues to be volatile, and testing may be affected in specific locations, according to the local health guidance. The health and safety of every examinee is our priority, and it is possible examinees may need to reschedule their exam for another date if conditions are deemed unsafe by local authorities. Social distancing and health and safety measures will be in place at test centers when testing resumes. Please visit the Pearson VUE website to learn more.
7.) All rescheduling fees have been waived for all exam dates for the 2020 MCAT testing year until further notice.
8.) The AAMC has been working closely with medical school admissions officers since the start of this pandemic, and they are very aware of the impact of COVID-19 on the admissions process and the delay of MCAT scores in students’ applications. AMCAS has also delayed transmitting applicant data to medical schools by two weeks (moving from June 26 to July 10) to give applicants more time to complete their applications. Medical schools will be flexible with their application deadlines and make their review processes as fair and equitable as possible during this unprecedented admissions cycle.
Please visit our MCAT Coronavirus Page for more information and FAQs as well as other ways the AAMC can support you through the application process this year.
We are wishing you and your loved ones good health during this truly difficult time for our nation. As the next generation of physicians, you are needed now more than ever, and the AAMC is proud to support you at every step throughout your medical school journey.
Sincerely,
The MCAT Program

Hope this helps guys. Stay healthy!

Reactions: 3 users
Any input on Barry vs. NYCPM? (Accepted to both)

I know NYCPM is ranked higher but both have fine board scores/residency placements

I dont know where the faculty would be more receptive to helping someone struggling (I dont plan to struggle on purpose but anything can happen)

I really want to be humble but Barry is recruiting me very hard (I dont know if this is a bad thing and they are in need of applicants??)

I know NYCPM has 2 exams/quizzes per week but I was told there wouldn't be more than 2 each week and I assume thats less info per exam

also, with the 2 exams per week I know you still have all your other classes still running and you cant fall behind studying for an exam for another?

Does NYCPM have a "finals week" and is there protected study time (days without class or other mandatory attendance events) before final exams and is there time before boards exam for you to study without classes still running if yes how much time? (i.e. does 2nd year end before boards studying giving you any time empty to study even If its just one week)

my podiatrist/mentor who wrote the LOR went to NYCPM and wants me to attend there lol

Last edited:
Can anyone give me any tips for Barry interview & how was your experience?! Also how quick is their decision for accepted applicants?

thank you!

I know NYCPM is ranked higher but both have fine board scores/residency placements

I dont know where the faculty would be more receptive to helping someone struggling (I dont plan to struggle on purpose but anything can happen)

I really want to be humble but Barry is recruiting me very hard (I dont know if this is a bad thing and they are in need of applicants??)

I know NYCPM has 2 exams/quizzes per week but I was told there wouldn't be more than 2 each week and I assume thats less info per exam

also, with the 2 exams per week I know you still have all your other classes still running and you cant fall behind studying for an exam for another?

Does NYCPM have a "finals week" and is there protected study time (days without class or other mandatory attendance events) before final exams and is there time before boards exam for you to study without classes still running if yes how much time? (i.e. does 2nd year end before boards studying giving you any time empty to study even If its just one week)

my podiatrist/mentor who wrote the LOR went to NYCPM and wants me to attend there lol and my pre-health advisor at undergrad also would prefer me to attend NYCPM bc he himself and my undergrad as a school have a good relationship with each other in terms of recruiting from my undergrad

I dont know if these are biases though :(

It sounds like you're from NY, so can you commute to NYCPM and save on living expenses? If yes, then I'd attend NYCPM, so that you can lower the overall debt and have an easier time matching in NY (if that's the end goal).

NYCPM has mandatory lecture attendance, how about Barry? At NYCPM, you are most likely to have lectures the day before an exam, the same goes for final exams. I have seen their class schedule for various terms, and they do have finals week (sometimes 3 finals in 1 week).

Maybe someone attending NYCPM can comment more on this. Btw, Congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone give me any tips for Barry interview & how was your experience?! Also how quick is their decision for accepted applicants?

thank you!

Search the interview section of SDN and read over the possible questions.
When I interviewed there back in 2017, I was accepted the same day. It can take a week though after the interview.

my podiatrist/mentor who wrote the LOR went to NYCPM and wants me to attend there lol and my pre-health advisor at undergrad also would prefer me to attend NYCPM bc he himself and my undergrad as a school have a good relationship with each other in terms of recruiting from my undergrad

I dont know if these are biases though :(

Im a first year at nycpm. We do have two exams per week but there were total two weeks where we had three exams. You’ve classes till the week before finals and we’ve two finals a week. Each of the weekly exam has 7-8 chapters so it’s not like the material for each exam is less (maybe for the quizzes it is less). There’s also some bs which goes on with administration with us. For instance, due to remote testing, they gave us 1min/Q, but we got to change that 1.5min/q only for finals (Thank god!). Attendance is mandatory and you’re in school from 9am till 4/5pm during your first semester. Second semester isn’t bad due to anatomy labs and so you’re out by 1pm on most days except for two days a week when we’d be out by3/4pm. I don’t personally think the school actually cares for you as a person? We need to really push on something in order to get that changed (or sometimes doesn’t change).

Your 4th semester ends in April and you’ve a three week break before “clinical skills” start. Then right before boards you’ve three weeks off I believe (?). Overall, I would say, go to the school where you liked the atmosphere the most during your interview. Also, take into consideration any scholarships when calculating the total cost of attending and pick the school where the total cost of attending is the lowest.

Reactions: 2 users
Im a first year at nycpm. We do have two exams per week but there were total two weeks where we had three exams. You’ve classes till the week before finals and we’ve two finals a week. Each of the weekly exam has 7-8 chapters so it’s not like the material for each exam is less (maybe for the quizzes it is less). There’s also some bs which goes on with administration with us. For instance, due to remote testing, they gave us 1min/Q, but we got to change that 1.5min/q only for finals (Thank god!). Attendance is mandatory and you’re in school from 9am till 4/5pm during your first semester. Second semester isn’t bad due to anatomy labs and so you’re out by 1pm on most days except for two days a week when we’d be out by3/4pm. I don’t personally think the school actually cares for you as a person? We need to really push on something in order to get that changed (or sometimes doesn’t change).

Your 4th semester ends in April and you’ve a three week break before “clinical skills” start. Then right before boards you’ve three weeks off I believe (?). Overall, I would say, go to the school where you liked the atmosphere the most during your interview. Also, take into consideration any scholarships when calculating the total cost of attending and pick the school where the total cost of attending is the lowest.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I will take everything into consideration

Can someone please post the rough estimates of the housing options at NYCPM

Last edited:
Can someone please post the rough estimates of the housing options at NYCPM

The school doesn't reveal prices until you submit a housing deposit which is fine but I just got accepted recently and have another deadline on monday so I need to do the math between two schools to decide whats the best option to have least debt
I think you see housing options after putting down a deposit for your seat, not housing deposit. But here are some options

1275- single shared no balcony. FYI single shared is still your own private room, naming is confusing
1325- """""""""""""""private balcony
1425- ''''''''''''''''''''''''' penthouse deck
1400- single no balcony, same patten as above
1450-single
1550- single
Prices can go above 2000. Keep in mind this is only for housing provided by the school at the Bridges. You can also get apartment for cheaper with roomates

Thanks for the detailed post. Why did you choose NYCPM over other schools and do you recommend it?

I chose NYCPM because I was already living in NYC, but now I realize that I should have picked a school based on its demeanor, but what's done is done lol. I wouldn't recommend NYCPM because I feel like the school likes to put unnecessary stress on students and the two exams per week with mandatory attendance with long hours of classes do not help. Don't get me wrong, there are few lectures worthy of attending like anatomy labs and lectures, physio lectures, neuro lectures, but the rest are just time-wasting tbh. The professors either read directly reads off of the slides or goes off tangent. I also don't have time to review other subjects due to the two exams per week and find myself studying for each subject before its exam. I would suggest that you look at other schools before deciding. If you have any questions, DM me :)

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from schools?!