AACPMAS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I just got my AACPMAS application verified on Monday and got 2 interviews to Temple and New York! Any advice on the interview? I am waiting to see if I get an interview at Kent and Des Moines also so any tips for those schools would be helpful also.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just got my AACPMAS application verified on Monday and got 2 interviews to Temple and New York! Any advice on the interview? I am waiting to see if I get an interview at Kent and Des Moines also so any tips for those schools would be helpful also.

Thanks!
Congrats! I just had mine for TUSPM and New York a few weeks ago. Did you take the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I just had mine for TUSPM and New York a few weeks ago. Did you take the MCAT?
Hi! How was your interview for TUSPM?? Just curious because I have mine tomorrow morning. Did they say anything how long to expect to hear back as well?

Hi! How was your interview for TUSPM?? Just curious because I have mine tomorrow morning. Did they say anything how long to expect to hear back as well?
Hello! I'm sorry for the late reply, good luck on your interview though! The person who interviewed me was so nice her interview questions flowed more of a conversation than an interview, if that makes sense, so it really calmed me down since I'm the type of person to get a little bit nervous during interviews.

& I heard back a little bit more than a week, I interviewed on Monday and got accepted the the week after on a Thursday. However I have heard of people getting accepted in less than a week.

Good luck!

does anyone have tips for WesternU interview? Does anyone know if their 2020 class is full. I’m trying to see if I would only be interviewing for their waitlist?!

does anyone have tips for WesternU interview? Does anyone know if their 2020 class is full. I’m trying to see if I would only be interviewing for their waitlist?!
I just got an interview there too and I'm wondering the same.

I just got an interview there too and I'm wondering the same.
Hello I am a first year at WesternU and wanted to first start by saying congrats on getting your interviews! Because of the Covid situation, we have moved from on site interviews to Zoom interviews with the faculty and staff. As far as tips go for interviewing at WesternU, my recommendation is to look over your application and be prepared to talk about weaknesses such as a bad grade and explain them honestly and earnestly. It really depends on who you get for the interview but going to the interview feedback page of SDN is helpful. Also if this is your first time interviewing anywhere, keep in mind STAR. This link gives more of an in-depth look but basically if you are asked a question you want to come up with an example and explain your role, what you did, and the outcome that came out of it. I really would like to emphasize STAR for your interviews because it is an invaluable skill for your future. If either of you have any questions don't feel intimidated and message me if you have anything personal you don't want to post!

Hello I am a first year at WesternU and wanted to first start by saying congrats on getting your interviews! Because of the Covid situation, we have moved from on site interviews to Zoom interviews with the faculty and staff. As far as tips go for interviewing at WesternU, my recommendation is to look over your application and be prepared to talk about weaknesses such as a bad grade and explain them honestly and earnestly. It really depends on who you get for the interview but going to the interview feedback page of SDN is helpful. Also if this is your first time interviewing anywhere, keep in mind STAR. This link gives more of an in-depth look but basically if you are asked a question you want to come up with an example and explain your role, what you did, and the outcome that came out of it. I really would like to emphasize STAR for your interviews because it is an invaluable skill for your future. If either of you have any questions don't feel intimidated and message me if you have anything personal you don't want to post!
I agree!! I had my interview last week and was accepted and they do emphasize the STAR method!!

Thanks so much!! I have never heard of that method so it's nice to hear this ahead of time, I will definitely be trying to implement this in my interview. Are there any special parts about Western that they love to highlight in the interview? I feel like since we can't be on campus its hard to get a feel for what is important to them.

Thanks so much!! I have never heard of that method so it's nice to hear this ahead of time, I will definitely be trying to implement this in my interview. Are there any special parts about Western that they love to highlight in the interview? I feel like since we can't be on campus its hard to get a feel for what is important to them.
Look over the mission and do research on the school. Just be yourself during the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)

Definitely what @2bobbiii said about looking over the mission statement for the school and being yourself! For any interview that you get, every single school is going to ask you why their school and/or why podiatry. During my WesternU interview they highlighted the weak points in my application (I failed a course and so they wanted my explanation so they could understand what happened and what I did so it wouldn't happen again). I agree it can be tough to get a feel for what the interviewer wants out of you, especially with Zoom calls, but they just want to know your personality and trying to round you out as an individual. I think it is important to keep in mind that they saw something special in your application which is why you got an interview in the first place. They already know you as an applicant and the interview will give you the opportunity to become a person.

That’s definitely true! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you tell them about that course? I’m in a similar situation so I just want to know how much weight they put on it.

That’s definitely true! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you tell them about that course? I’m in a similar situation so I just want to know how much weight they put on it.
You want to be honest on why you failed, for myself I stretched myself out too thin, and show there is an upward trend. One bad grade does not define who you are, the actions that proceed after the failure demonstrates your character and work ethic. I can't tell you how much weight they put on it but if I were to put myself in the interviewer's shoes I would like an explanation, how you dealt with this obstacle, and what you will do in the future so this won't happen again (the bad grade could be a good example to use the STAR method mentioned previously.)

You want to be honest on why you failed, for myself I stretched myself out too thin, and show there is an upward trend. One bad grade does not define who you are, the actions that proceed after the failure demonstrates your character and work ethic. I can't tell you how much weight they put on it but if I were to put myself in the interviewer's shoes I would like an explanation, how you dealt with this obstacle, and what you will do in the future so this won't happen again (the bad grade could be a good example to use the STAR method mentioned previously.)
I understand that! I can definitely highlight the changes I made and the improvements within my grades. I've been reviewing the STAR method and think its extremely helpful in easily summarizing situations. Thanks!

Does anyone know any external company/organization scholarships I can apply to as an incoming podiatry first year (no pod school gpa/extraciriculars) ones that are only merit/extracircular from college based

Fastweb and scholarships.com show sketchy results and/or are only really for high schoolers going to college

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know any external company/organization scholarships I can apply to as an incoming podiatry first year (no pod school gpa/extraciriculars) ones that are only merit/extracircular from college based

Fastweb and scholarships.com show sketchy results and/or are only really for high schoolers going to college

I believe the due date is June 15, 2020.

Reactions: 1 users

Besides the above, you can try Finding and Applying for Scholarships
You will have more opportunities as a Pod student from the APMA and other organizations within your programs.

Are those scholarships that people frequently mention being offered upon acceptance one-time deals or they give you that amount every year?

Are those scholarships that people frequently mention being offered upon acceptance one-time deals or they give you that amount every year?

Scholarships vary, but for the most part (program based ones) depending on your stats you can get some $$ as a 1-time thing or divided within the 4 years.
So for example, I can get a one time fund for 12K or 4K divided within the 4 years. These funds will go toward your tuition. There are also other types of scholarships you can apply before and after you are a Podiatry student, in addition to what you were offered on acceptance day.

It's a very sweet deal IF you have HIGH stats and apply early since these $$$ are on the first-come-first-serve basis...so they run out.

How much do those scholarships (for people with high stats) typically cover? Is it possible to get at least 30% of total tuition (all 4 years) covered by scholarships?

I applied only to midwestern this cycle around mid march and my stats were pretty good however I haven’t taken the mcat yet (schedule to take on 7/18). I was never gonna apply this cycle in the first place but since the admission’s office told me that they were looking at applications without mcat scores and have 75% of seats full in march, I took my chances. Although my application was verified, midwestern ended up not reviewing my application because of no mcat and it stayed in the “incomplete” status in their system. They told me that I would have to apply as a reapplicant next cycle and they did apologize for miscommunication I guess, but my question is will others schools also know that I am a reappliant next cycle? and does that look bad?

I applied only to midwestern this cycle around mid march and my stats were pretty good however I haven’t taken the mcat yet (schedule to take on 7/18). I was never gonna apply this cycle in the first place but since the admission’s office told me that they were looking at applications without mcat scores and have 75% of seats full in march, I took my chances. Although my application was verified, midwestern ended up not reviewing my application because of no mcat and it stayed in the “incomplete” status in their system. They told me that I would have to apply as a reapplicant next cycle and they did apologize for miscommunication I guess, but my question is will others schools also know that I am a reappliant next cycle? and does that look bad?
They will probably know. It will not look bad. Maybe someone will ask, but you have a reasonable explanation already. Your GPA stats are good enough for nobody to care about you being reapplicant.

Reactions: 3 users

Is it too late to apply to other schools? When I applied last year, the last date was June 30. Not sure how it is now due to COVID-19. Only letting you know that you can still apply to other schools unless midwestern is the only school you wanna go to.

Is it too late to apply to other schools? When I applied last year, the last date was June 30. Not sure how it is now due to COVID-19. Only letting you know that you can still apply to other schools unless midwestern is the only school you wanna go to.
Unfortunately for this cycle, midwestern was the only school that was the most reasonable for my situation however I do plan on applying to at least 5 more schools in the upcoming cycle

We are 2 weeks away from the AACPMAS deadline...so hopefully, those interested in applying to be part of the class of 2024 have or will submit everything asap.
In case you get waitlisted, rejected, or for whatever reason cannot start this year, no worries...the next cycle begins very shortly.

I would suggest anyone applying now to contact the programs first before submitting an app.

We got some stats from the AACPM a few weeks back, thought I'd share them.

For the Class of 2024: 1006 applications, a 4% increase from last year
The number of female students applying increased to about 3%, so it was roughly 50/50 in terms of gender.

I will update the MCAT and other info as I get them. Anyways, all good news. As you begin the first year of Podiatric medical school soon, reach out to us here on SDN if you need help and also at your programs. All the best!

Reactions: 4 users
We got some stats from the AACPM a few weeks back, thought I'd share them.

For the Class of 2024: 1006 applications, a 4% increase from last year
The number of female students applying increased to about 3%, so it was roughly 50/50 in terms of gender.

I will update the MCAT and other info as I get them. Anyways, all good news. As you begin the first year of Podiatric medical school soon, reach out to us here on SDN if you need help and also at your programs. All the best!
What acceptance rate does it make?