AACPMAS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if admissions take into consideration difficulty of undergrad university attended? I went to a top 10 public university and it kinda kicked my butt.
Probably yes, and ofcourse they need to i guess

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if admissions take into consideration difficulty of undergrad university attended?

When I visited a school, someone from admissions did mention that they know my university is difficult and it would be considered when looking at my GPA.

Hi guys! I am new to SDN. I am curious about other's plans for interviewing/preferences for schools. About me: Spanish major, great experiences, cum. GPA 3.45, Science GPA 3.6, MCAT 508. I applied to all of the programs to make sure I get in somewhere. I've received invited from Barry, Temple, Kent and NY so far. I've scheduled three of those already for mid-September. My top choice is Midwestern due to proximity to family, I've heard great things about the program, and the area in general. My other two top choices are DMU and Western. I haven't received any invites from them yet, but think they send out their invites a little bit later. I know I can accept multiple acceptance, but I really don't have the money for that (most being non-refundable).
How are others timing their interviews? Should I push back these other interview invites I've already accepted to give time for my top choices? When are those invites expected to go out? I'm looking into airfare, etc. for the ones I already have. Any advice?
Also, why are your top schools your top schools? What reasons do you have for preferring some over others? I've been trying to compare programs, but besides board pass rates, they all seem pretty great to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I am new to SDN. I am curious about other's plans for interviewing/preferences for schools. About me: Spanish major, great experiences, cum. GPA 3.45, Science GPA 3.6, MCAT 508. I applied to all of the programs to make sure I get in somewhere. I've received invited from Barry, Temple, Kent and NY so far. I've scheduled three of those already for mid-September. My top choice is Midwestern due to proximity to family, I've heard great things about the program, and the area in general. My other two top choices are DMU and Western. I haven't received any invites from them yet, but think they send out their invites a little bit later. I know I can accept multiple acceptance, but I really don't have the money for that (most being non-refundable).
How are others timing their interviews? Should I push back these other interview invites I've already accepted to give time for my top choices? When are those invites expected to go out? I'm looking into airfare, etc. for the ones I already have. Any advice?
Also, why are your top schools your top schools? What reasons do you have for preferring some over others? I've been trying to compare programs, but besides board pass rates, they all seem pretty great to me.
Hey, just wondering when you submitted your application, got verified, and got invites. Just submitted mine yesterday and want to know how long it should take for me to start hearing back from schools. As for me, my top choice is NYCPM also because of proximity to family. My second choice is Temple ( second-closest to family ). I was thinking of scheduling these two interviews (if I get invited) first because they are my tops choices. I would wait until you hear back from your top choices and see if you can schedule interviews before the others or push back the others.

Also wondering what everyone's timelines have been like in terms of verification time! I applied on the 6th and my transcripts were finally processed late yesterday. Hopefully I get verified soon!

Hey, just wondering when you submitted your application, got verified, and got invites. Just submitted mine yesterday and want to know how long it should take for me to start hearing back from schools. As for me, my top choice is NYCPM also because of proximity to family. My second choice is Temple ( second-closest to family ). I was thinking of scheduling these two interviews (if I get invited) first because they are my tops choices. I would wait until you hear back from your top choices and see if you can schedule interviews before the others or push back the others.

I submitted on August 7th (didn't realize it was open the 1st), and my transcripts were verified that day. I did it all on last year's cycle, and it carried over (besides LORs). It took me about four days for LORs to be re-submitted, another day to get verified. I did the AACPMAS chat thing to connect my official MCAT to my app, they did it real quick and easy. I got the invite from Barry last Friday, then one a day from the others up through yesterday. So it didn't take very long.

I already received an invite to interview from DMU, so they have started and you should hear fairly soon.
Also i contacted about how long you usually have before you have to accept an offer and they said it varies within the period of the application cycle, and since we are at the beginning of this application cycle, applicants should have about 4 weeks to accept, which should give you plenty of time to interview and accept. I would guess that all the other schools are similar.

I submitted on August 7th (didn't realize it was open the 1st), and my transcripts were verified that day. I did it all on last year's cycle, and it carried over (besides LORs). It took me about four days for LORs to be re-submitted, another day to get verified. I did the AACPMAS chat thing to connect my official MCAT to my app, they did it real quick and easy. I got the invite from Barry last Friday, then one a day from the others up through yesterday. So it didn't take very long.
Your app was verified the day your transcripts were received?! Also, did you enter your grades on your own or did you get it done professionally? I did on my own and used my unofficial transcript and wondering if I did something wrong and will delay the verification process.

You will get an invite from Midwestern as long as you don’t have any red flags that show up like getting arrested.

Your app was verified the day your transcripts were received?! Also, did you enter your grades on your own or did you get it done professionally? I did on my own and used my unofficial transcript and wondering if I did something wrong and will delay the verification process.

Technically no. I did my whole application back in May on the previous year's cycle, and it took probably three days to verify perhaps. All that info carried over onto the new cycle when I opened it on the 7th. It just like, verified it again for the new cycle, but it had already been done.

I did it myself, but I used my official transcripts just because they said it's better to. Which sucked because I have FIVE of them. Use the chat feature on the AACPMAS, it's super useful. They might be able to do something for you!

Technically no. I did my whole application back in May on the previous year's cycle, and it took probably three days to verify perhaps. All that info carried over onto the new cycle when I opened it on the 7th. It just like, verified it again for the new cycle, but it had already been done.

I did it myself, but I used my official transcripts just because they said it's better to. Which sucked because I have FIVE of them. Use the chat feature on the AACPMAS, it's super useful. They might be able to do something for you!
Ah ok I see! Well, it has been only 2 days for me since my transcripts were received. So I just have to be patient then! I'm supposing they will let me know if there is an issue. The waiting sucksss though

Was verified at 6 am this morning. Invited to interview at Kent and Temple a few hours later. Very surprised that I was verified and invited on a Saturday. Are invites automatic if you have certain stats? Very surprised but very happy!

Was verified at 6 am this morning. Invited to interview at Kent and Temple a few hours later. Very surprised that I was verified and invited on a Saturday. Are invites automatic if you have certain stats? Very surprised but very happy!

Nice! What are your stats? I didn’t apply to those but was verified overnight too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! What are your stats? I didn’t apply to those but was verified overnight too.
cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 2.84 (I know it's bad. Honestly, I had bad study habits in my science classes in college. I know what I did wrong. Changed my study habits for the MCAT.)
MCAT: 509

Just surprised I got invites quickly cause I know my science GPA isn't competitive. As for EC's I shadowed general surgeon for 2 years (800+hours), volunteered in emergency department for 2 years (200 hrs), 80 hours of clinical research, 10 hours shadowing podiatrists (plan to shadow more). Also worked part-time in college.

Hey me too! Got interview invites at Kent and Temple.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone on the interview invites this morning! I got verified this morning too. I didn't apply to Kent, but I got a rejection from Temple a few hours later. Seems like they have some sort of automatic screening process because my mcat is low. Crossing my fingers for the schools I have left to hear from!

Hey guys! Got interview invites from Kent and Temple. I also took my MCAT today. Should I schedule the interviews now or wait for results? (9/17) I think it went well. In the range of 498-505. I'm happy but I dont want to get too excited to be rejected later lol. Thatd be sad.

I got an invite from Midwestern a few days ago. They hadn't sent it to my email yet, but I logged onto their portal and it said I had been invited! I was able to schedule the interview for 9/5 right there on their website. Just so y'all know! Go check the individual school's websites! (not too often though )

Hey guys! Got interview invites from Kent and Temple. I also took my MCAT today. Should I schedule the interviews now or wait for results? (9/17) I think it went well. In the range of 498-505. I'm happy but I dont want to get too excited to be rejected later lol. Thatd be sad.

There is no correct answer here but I would wait until the scores come out.
It's just better to attend the interview knowing everything about your application...so you know what to expect and possibly go the extra mile for a program that interest you on interview day.

I got an invite from Midwestern a few days ago. They hadn't sent it to my email yet, but I logged onto their portal and it said I had been invited! I was able to schedule the interview for 9/5 right there on their website. Just so y'all know! Go check the individual school's websites! (not too often though )
What portal is that? I couldn't find one.

They sent me an email very early on telling me to create a user profile, and that updates would be posted there:

No word from Scholl yet!

I'm also applying to their osteopathic school and I logged in to the same portal today to take a look at their secondaries. I didn't see an invite but I'm not expecting any more until tomorrow when the week starts.

Anyone else freaking out about the cost of flying all over the country next month??

Invest in a credit card that will reward you for miles or cards that will give you bonus points for initiation.
Use that card for all of your interviews and pay it off as due per month.

You might find yourself with enough points for a nice trip after your 1st year or an upgrade to Economy+/ Business class.

Im going interview barry and kent!
I just have a quick question about the luggage because of the hotel check out time.. can we bring our luggage or should i delay the hotel check out time

Im going interview barry and kent!
I just have a quick question about the luggage because of the hotel check out time.. can we bring our luggage or should i delay the hotel check out time
Bring it to the interview. The Admissions person at Barry lets you keep your luggage in their office. Not sure about Kent but I'm assuming its the same scenario. Congrats on the interviews!

I saw that Kent and Temple included hotel accomodations in the email correspondence but Barry did not. Does Barry cover cost of hotel stay?

I saw that Kent and Temple included hotel accomodations in the email correspondence but Barry did not. Does Barry cover cost of hotel stay?
Nope!
Kent state one is half off so it will be like 115 dollars

Anybody have good resources (websites/apps/podcasts, etc.) for current healthcare issues in news/politics?

Anybody have good resources (websites/apps/podcasts, etc.) for current healthcare issues in news/politics?

Don't have a specific website but current health issue that will affect every field is medicare for all ( if passed) and podiatry specific is the HELLPP act ( and other stuff listed on apma site).

Been invited for an interview at NYCPM and TUSPM! Any advice on how and what to prepare?

No, not yet! I got an email from them before my app was even complete (like on the 9th I think) saying that they received it. I was verified on the 17th, so maybe they haven’t gotten to my app yet? When were you all verified?

No, not yet! I got an email from them before my app was even complete (like on the 9th I think) saying that they received it. I was verified on the 17th, so maybe they haven’t gotten to my app yet? When were you all verified?
What are your stats? If you were verified on the 17th, you should hear back from them soon!

My stats are low, but I would think they would at least notify me if they deny me an interview?
It's still very early in the app cycle, so if your stats are low and you haven't been denied yet, then they may still be considering you. Don't feel too discouraged yet. It's still too early for that. Have you applied elsewhere?

It's still very early in the app cycle, so if your stats are low and you haven't been denied yet, then they may still be considering you. Don't feel too discouraged yet. It's still too early for that. Have you applied elsewhere?
You're right! Thanks for the encouragement! I applied to Barry, NYCPM, Temple, Kent, and Scholls. I got an interview at Barry and denied almost automatically from Temple (probably due to their MCAT cut-off). Scholls and Kent have sent me emails saying they received my app but that is it.

I am from Florida so honestly Barry is most ideal for me, but I would prefer to have options if possible! But then again my stats are so low that I shouldn't be complaining lol

You're right! Thanks for the encouragement! I applied to Barry, NYCPM, Temple, Kent, and Scholls. I got an interview at Barry and denied almost automatically from Temple (probably due to their MCAT cut-off). Scholls and Kent have sent me emails saying they received my app but that is it.

I am from Florida so honestly Barry is most ideal for me, but I would prefer to have options if possible! But then again my stats are so low that I shouldn't be complaining lol

Definitely! If you’re from Florida, and you’ve been granted an interview from Barry, I’d try using your local ties/knowledge. Regardless of low stats, try letting them know how well you fit into their school.

Definitely! If you’re from Florida, and you’ve been granted an interview from Barry, I’d try using your local ties/knowledge. Regardless of low stats, try letting them know how well you fit into their school.
For sure! I think I have a pretty strong/unique app outside of my stats. At least I would like to think!