AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is midwestern clinical like?

is it strong? anyone know..

Members don't see this ad.

They have the best board pass rates of any school, which speaks for a top tier education in terms of academics. I'm sure that your clinical experience would be perfectly adequate if you were accepted there.

Their on site clinic seemed weak, but they'll supplement it with offsite clinical experience. Shouldn't be too big of a deal. They also have those high tech training dummies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed on AZPOD and Kent to wait for DMU. I was wait-listed at DMU.

In 2016.......I, DamnCroissants, will be taking my talents to.....Philadelphia.

Now I just need to rush deliver the forms/deposit since I am supposed to let them know by 12/25 and this time of year is the worst for mailing stuff.
http://emojipedia.org/multiple-musical-notes/

Reactions: 3 users
Why does my DMU "condition of enrollment" state that I have to send in an LOR from a DPM (due 7/15/2016)? That letter was sent in 2 months ago. Anyone else with this problem? I have emailed them now..

Last edited:
Just got accepted to DMU and will matriculate next fall! :clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive::zip:

Reactions: 8 users
Why does my DMU "condition of enrollment" state that I have to send in an LOR from a DPM (due 7/15/2016)? That letter was sent in 2 months ago. Anyone else with this problem? I have emailed them now..

Mine just says that I have to pay seat deposit, email the form, and complete background check. Sounds like they don't have a LOR on file for you..

Looks like we will have to make a SDN DMU beer night our first week there guys, while we still have somewhat of a life.
Down for that! Idk if you've explored Des Moines much but every time I went up I took a few days to explore the city a bit. I really love it. There's a bunch of cool bars localized in one spot off of Court Ave. It's a good time.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like we will have to make a SDN DMU beer night our first week there guys, while we still have somewhat of a life.

Down for that! Idk if you've explored Des Moines much but every time I went up I took a few days to explore the city a bit. I really love it. There's a bunch of cool bars localized in one spot off of Court Ave. It's a good time.
BAR HOPPING THE SUNDAY BEFORE OUR DAY 1 LETS GOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I wish I would have had a little more time to explore, but I did check out Fong's Pizza by recommendation of the pretty good looking hotel attendant, so I figured I should probably roll with her advice, and boy it didn't disappoint. I guess there is a bar with 140+ taps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish I would have had a little more time to explore, but I did check out Fong's Pizza by recommendation of the pretty good looking hotel attendant, so I figured I should probably roll with her advice, and boy it didn't disappoint. I guess there a bar with 140+ taps!
Yeah it's called El Bait Shop. It's pretty awesome. All the students I spent time with said that's their favorite spot.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't wait to meet everyone at DMU! There are definitely tons of fun places in Des Moines to get a drink/eat, there is a great German restaurant with Das Boot which a fav by students haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted to Midwestern!! So excited! Also for everyone going to DMU, I worked in Iowa for the last 5 months. There's an awesome bar there that's right next to train tracks. It's a German bar and anytime a train comes by the building shakes and they give you drink specials! So much fun! Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to Midwestern!! So excited! Also for everyone going to DMU, I worked in Iowa for the last 5 months. There's an awesome bar there that's right next to train tracks. It's a German bar and anytime a train comes by the building shakes and they give you drink specials! So much fun! Congrats everyone!

I wish I would have had a little more time to explore, but I did check out Fong's Pizza by recommendation of the pretty good looking hotel attendant, so I figured I should probably roll with her advice, and boy it didn't disappoint. I guess there is a bar with 140+ taps!

Yeah it's called El Bait Shop. It's pretty awesome. All the students I spent time with said that's their favorite spot.

Can't wait to meet everyone at DMU! There are definitely tons of fun places in Des Moines to get a drink/eat, there is a great German restaurant with Das Boot which a fav by students haha.
I figured Des Moines had an okay bar scene, but this is going WELL above my hopes at this point

Hey guys!

Just a quick question. I have a couple interviews coming up and I was just wondering if you guys think I should clean shave my beard or is it okay if I go to the barber and get a haircut and trim/line up my beard to where it looks very presentable?

Thanks

I don't think anyone I interviewed with had any facial hair, and I shaved my own off the week before the first interview. Although as long as it looks well trimmed I don't see the harm.

Hey guys!

Just a quick question. I have a couple interviews coming up and I was just wondering if you guys think I should clean shave my beard or is it okay if I go to the barber and get a haircut and trim/line up my beard to where it looks very presentable?

Thanks
I bit the bullet and shaved. Better safe than sorry however, there was one guy I saw at my interview for Kent with a full blown beard. If you keep it trimmed no questions will be asked.

Those who interviewed at scholl, how long after did it take you to receive your "status update" email and when did you get your decision email? I interviewed dec 7, got my status update email dec 19, and it said I should hear back by jan 16. I don't want to waste $1000 on a deposit

Those who interviewed at scholl, how long after did it take you to receive your "status update" email and when did you get your decision email? I interviewed dec 7, got my status update email dec 19, and it said I should hear back by jan 16. I don't want to waste $1000 on a deposit
I got an email the day after I interviewed thanking me for showing interest in the program and saying how they would let me know their decision within 2 weeks. I heard from them 9 days later that I was accepted. Why would you be wasting $1000 on a deposit? You don't have to pay any deposits until after you are accepted, and you have about 30 days to do so. Or did you already put a deposit on another program?

I got the status update email a day later after the interview. I received my acceptance 3 days after.

I got an email the day after I interviewed thanking me for showing interest in the program and saying how they would let me know their decision within 2 weeks. I heard from them 9 days later that I was accepted. Why would you be wasting $1000 on a deposit? You don't have to pay any deposits until after you are accepted, and you have about 30 days to do so. Or did you already put a deposit on another program?

I was accepted to another school but I'd prefer scholl. I got a few days to respond but hoping for an extension.

I got the status update email a day later after the interview. I received my acceptance 3 days after.
Lucky. This waiting is killing me. I just hope it's because of the holiday season.

Hey guys!

Thanks
Guy in my DMU interview group had the full beard...I'm of the opinion that you don't need to shave if you like having facial hair, just make sure everything is neat and tidy

I was accepted to another school but I'd prefer scholl. I got a few days to respond but hoping for an extension.
I would ask for an extension from the school you were already accepted to for as long as they are willing to give it. If the extension isn't enough time for Scholl to get back to you, then possibly ask for a quicker response from Scholl. The interview coordinator (Kim Young) at Scholl told us after my interview that we could ask for a quickened response if we needed one, we just had to let her know. If you politely explained your situation and your timeline then I'm sure you'd at least hear either yes or no to this request, making your decision that much easier.

Lucky. This waiting is killing me. I just hope it's because of the holiday season.

I heard back three days later too. Sounds like the holidays might be slowing them down a little.

Interviewing at Scholl on Jan 6th. Anyone matriculating there/want to share their interview experience? I have an acceptance at MWU already, but the appeal of Chicago and a larger class size at Scholl is what I am looking forward to.

Interviewing at Scholl on Jan 6th. Anyone matriculating there/want to share their interview experience? I have an acceptance at MWU already, but the appeal of Chicago and a larger class size at Scholl is what I am looking forward to.
I visited scholl waiting on an interview still but as far as big city goes scholl is a got 40 minutes from the actual city and in the middle of nowhere pretty much

Good evening everyone,
I have recently accepted admission at temple SOPM. I'm very excited and if anyone on here plans to go there, let me know! I also have a question. What do you guys think is smarter? Living off campus at an apt or on campus? I was thinking off campus bc I also own a car and I think it would be better financially. I would like to hear different opinions though!

Good evening everyone,
I have recently accepted admission at temple SOPM. I'm very excited and if anyone on here plans to go there, let me know! I also have a question. What do you guys think is smarter? Living off campus at an apt or on campus? I was thinking off campus bc I also own a car and I think it would be better financially. I would like to hear different opinions though!
First of all, congratulations!

Come join our Facebook group, where we've already started discussing the housing situation and other things we're all kinda wondering. If you want general opinions, then SDN is probably the best place to ask, if you wanna talk specifically to some of the students you'll be going to school with next Fall then our group might be the best place to ask. Also, for a lot of the more mundane and Temple-specific questions (not saying that's what yours are, just speaking generally), I personally prefer to not blow up every SDN prepod's notifications and just limit it to our small group of Temple acceptees.

Nah @bobtheweazel ur temple specific questions are not mundane brah. They probably in someway apply to other schools and are prob useful to others too.. + I pretty much look out for ur comments to get a jest of the topics and best answers etc

The temple housing debacle would spark interests for ppl in other schools too
I'd like housing pics/tours of schol's housing to too..

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I recently got accepted to Temple! I want some opinions whether I should put my deposit down for Temple or Scholl? I currently live in Chicago and love it here so close to home, but the clinical experience and the large patient pool at Temple is something that I see very beneficial to me as a student. I need some help. What do you guys think?

Thank you

Hey guys!

I recently got accepted to Temple! I want some opinions whether I should put my deposit down for Temple or Scholl? I currently live in Chicago and love it here so close to home, but the clinical experience and the large patient pool at Temple is something that I see very beneficial to me as a student. I need some help. What do you guys think?

Thank you

Your most likely going to get a lot of responses and opinions on this one, but most individuals on here will tell you to look at your own situation and decide the school based on your needs and where you feel most comfortable. I had the same dilemma between Scholl and DMU. I have quite a few family members and friends living in the Chicagoland area (I know no one in Iowa either lol), as well as looking at the total number of clinical opportunities and patient numbers, however I chose DMU because in my gut after I weighed out the pros and cons, it was the right fit for me and I think this is where I have the greatest opportunity to succeed.

So again, make a list of the positives and negatives of each school that pertain to your individual situation, not just what you read on these forums. There are many successful DPMs that have graduated from both schools. Hope is this helps!

Hey guys!

Thank you
You should maybe ask this in the pod student or physician section. Most of us here who've made this decision have no idea how it'll actually pan out. I'm going with Temple in large part for the onsite clinical opportunities but I'm turning down an acceptance to AZPod to do it, which would've come with a much better academic experience. Which would've helped me more in the long run? Who knows for sure.

Or...here's some advice from someone much wiser than me, lol.
listen.jpg

Interviewing at AZPOD on Jan. 4th and NYCPM on Jan. 12th. Anyone else have these same interview days? Also, those of you who have interviewed with either school any tips/advice?

Interviewing at AZPOD on Jan. 4th and NYCPM on Jan. 12th. Anyone else have these same interview days? Also, those of you who have interviewed with either school any tips/advice?
Check out the interview feed back section. Link at the top of the SDN desktop website.

Gladiator.jpg

Happy 2016 everyone! This year we enter Medical School. To those of you who are about to enter, I SOLUTE YOU!

Reactions: 9 users
I interviewed at NY and got in. it was fairly standard. like what your strengths and weaknesses are, why pod. everyone else had two interviewers but I only had one. I had visited the campus before so I was already familiar with it. They also asked what I thought of the area and why nyc

has anyone tried to ask for an extension on the deposit? I want to submit it to kent but havent heard back from scholl (my number 1 choice) should I put down my deposit and see what school says whenever they get back to me?

has anyone tried to ask for an extension on the deposit? I want to submit it to kent but havent heard back from scholl (my number 1 choice) should I put down my deposit and see what school says whenever they get back to me?

I received a two week extension when I requested one from Scholl. I'm not sure about Kent's policy, but Carla seemed very friendly so I would reach out to her and she might allow it.

When do we send the housing deposit for TUSPM? I know online it says asap, but the form is for the 2015-16 school year.

I submitted my application back in August. I'm still waiting for a response from Barry. I tried calling and emailing the admissions office in November. At first they told me that it was still under review and to call back in a couple of weeks. Now I can't get anyone to even talk to or an email back. Need some advice. Thanks!

When do we send the housing deposit for TUSPM? I know online it says asap, but the form is for the 2015-16 school year.
Send it with your tuition deposit or just send it by itself to the same place you sent the tuition deposit.

There shouldn't be a specific form for it. Once Temple receives your tuition deposit they'll email you for you to send in the housing deposit.

Send it with your tuition deposit or just send it by itself to the same place you sent the tuition deposit.

There shouldn't be a specific form for it. Once Temple receives your tuition deposit they'll email you for you to send in the housing deposit.

Alright, I already sent my deposit in, so I'll just mail them a check for the housing deposit. Thanks.

I submitted my application back in August. I'm still waiting for a response from Barry. I tried calling and emailing the admissions office in November. At first they told me that it was still under review and to call back in a couple of weeks. Now I can't get anyone to even talk to or an email back. Need some advice. Thanks!

They just back to classes/office on Monday. They also do interviews on Mondays and Tuesdays so they're very busy. Call Wednesday or Thursday for better luck. The pod admission office is 305-899-3123. If not, call the actual Pod School 305-899-3249. That one is to reach professors' offices and stuff once you're a student, but they can help you with admissions too and tell you when the admissions people will be in office that day. Good luck.

Submitted my deposit for KENT!

Reactions: 4 users