AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Temple.

I only interviewed at Temple, Western, and AZpod and then I canceled the rest of my interviews because I was accepted by all three.

So I haven't actually been to CSPM or DMU.

I assume you live in California? If so that would probably be a large factor. I chose Temple over AZpod mainly because my fiancée has family in the Northeast. Although it was a tough decision since AZpod has much better stats (board pass rates, 4 year graduation rate, residency placement rate) than Temple.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Congrats! Yes I am from California. What was your impression of Western?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Harkless is great, but the professor that actually I interviewed me I didn't care for. I asked about their 66% graduation rate and he kinda just shrugged it off and said Western isn't for everyone. He seemed to have no concern for the 1/3 students who either fail out or transfer out and expressed no desire on the school's part to do anything about it.

What I did really like was the integration with DO students and the idea of the interprofessional classes that Western has.

Also I think the idea of heavily integrating with the DOs is cool, but the simple fact is that our boards are geared towards podiatry. They're basically training their pod students for the COMLEX if you think about it and their APMLE pass rates seem to suffer as a result.

But those who do make it through Western, I'm sure, have a better grasp on general medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am super indecisive and have yet to pick a school...
Does anyone have any reason to pick DMU, CSPM, or Western over one another?
I am interested in sports med so I think I will want a strong background in biomechanics.
Ive heard DMU is amazing.. but the only time I've been to Iowa was for the interview and I'm not sure I want to live there.
Never went to CSPM or Western but I thought DMU was amazing. Great pass rates and graduation rates, amazing facilities, cheap living, and I like the idea of working with the DO students. If the close to home factor wasn't so important to me I would be going there instead of Kent

I am interested in sports med so I think I will want a strong background in biomechanics.
Ive heard DMU is amazing.. but the only time I've been to Iowa was for the interview and I'm not sure I want to live there.
I'll put in my 2 cents. I can't give a very well-rounded response as DMU was the only school I applied to but I did go visit Scholl as well so I've at least seen another school. When I began my research of the schools DMU definitely stood out as a very desirable program with great outcomes. Not saying the others won't provide you the road to a bright future but DMU and AZPOD continuously were in the conversation as most desireable or as having the highest entry standards. Geographic borders weren't a huge issue for me it just happened to be incredibly convenient DMU is 3 hours from where I currently live and where all of my family is from. It ultimately came down to academic excellence and facilities. Des Moines I've come to find out is a great city with a ton to offer (good night life, restaurants and cheap living). Also I remember being taken back by how many Cali residents I met the few times I visited the school and overall seemed to have a pretty diverse student body, just to let you know. When I did their Podiatry Preview Program last summer it stuck out to me when a student said,"If you get into DMU, you go to DMU. It's a no brainer." Again, something that struck me as this school being pretty desirable. Best of luck with your decision and maybe we'll be classmates in a couple months!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I am have been accepted by all of them. I have talked to students from all of the schools and have gotten mixed responses. Yea Western is in Pomona which isn't the nicest part of the inland empire, but people live in the surrounding cities and CSPM is in Oakland which is super expensive to live and its well Oakland. What school are you going to?

I chose CSPM over DMU and I am not from either state. PM me if you need opinion. Both are good schools though. Just depend on environment you prefer. Boards pass rate is higher at dmu but match is higher at cspm

I chose CSPM over DMU and I am not from either state. PM me if you need opinion. Both are good schools though. Just depend on environment you prefer. Boards pass rate is higher at dmu but match is higher at cspm

Where did you find the information that match rate is higher at cspm? I'm curious because it says otherwise when looking at their websites.

DMU has consistently had 100% match rate for a few years running now I believe...

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to my top 2 Scholl and Kent. Having a hard time deciding on which one to attend. Both have their pros/cons. Would appreciate people's opinions!

Where did you find the information that match rate is higher at cspm? I'm curious because it says otherwise when looking at their websites.
CSPM has had 100% match for at least I know 2015 and 2016, but it seems so has DMU so there ya go ha!

Reactions: 1 users
If staying in California is more important to you, go to CSPM, if taking classes with DOs and getting an arguably superior preclinical education is more important to you, go to DMU.

I think bottom line is don't go to a school where 1 out of 3 people will not graduate (Western). Whatever the pros may be (location, DO integration), that one con should be enough to outweigh them all. The only justification I could think of for going to Western is if it's the only school you were accepted to, which is not the case for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello Guys,

I am confused where to put my down payment on, Kent or Scholl. They both are good schools with great reputation, but I really am at the middle. I need to decide within the next few days but I just don't know where to go. Any inputs?

Hello Guys,

I am confused where to put my down payment on, Kent or Scholl. They both are good schools with great reputation, but I really am at the middle. I need to decide within the next few days but I just don't know where to go. Any inputs?
They're pretty similar outcome-wise, but isn't Kent considerably cheaper. That should definitely factor in somewhere.

They're pretty similar outcome-wise, but isn't Kent considerably cheaper. That should definitely factor in somewhere.

by the way, I just checked, Kent is a bit more expensive by a thousand dollar plus.

Got acceptances a long time ago (like November and December) from other schools, someone tell me why Kent is just sending me "received application" and an interview invite now?

Hi!
Im new here, thanks for sharing this info :) was useful for me.

I was accepted into Scholl earlier this year. But I have to retake Orgo II before matriculating. I called and was told I could take the course online if I wanted to. I'm currently taking it at University of New England. Do you guys think that would be ok? I guess I'll call Scholl on Monday, but I was curious to see if anyone else has taken an online course at UNE and their credits have transferred ok? any feedback would be appreciated! thanks guys!