AACOMAS Grade Replacement Policy Announcement/Questions Regarding Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is what we know regarding the AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

The AACOMAS has currently informed the community that beginning in the 2017-2018 application cycle, all previous grades will be counted within the calculated AACOMAS GPA and grade replacement will no longer be utilized.

Notice of Repeat Coursework Policy Change

Here is a description provided to advisors (thanks @gonnif ):

"In an effort to increase transparency, our Executive Committee, Board, and legal counsel have recommended that we move forward with this change immediately for May 2017 to ensure a fair, consistent, and transparent application process for all applicants. Legal counsel has reviewed the implementation plan and is confident in the plan and the notice of change to all parties as colleges still have independent authority to recalculate and weigh applicant GPAs and repeated courses per their own established admissions practices.

The practice of grade replacement and recalculation is not considered a best practice. In fact, under our contract with Liaison International (AACOMAS vendor), they only agreed to implement this policy for the first year of the contract with AACOM, and have done so outside of their contract requirements for a second year while we coordinate communication about this change. This policy direction is essential to move forward as a national profession whose association can be trusted to present student data in an “apples to apples” manner. It was understood throughout these deliberations that each COM can manage their holistic admission process however they would like, but that the national association and application gatekeeper must be fully transparent and not dictate altered GPAs to their colleges.

Advisors should continue to encourage students to repeat coursework, as with other health professions, if a student needs to further their mastery of a subject. The admissions committee will clearly see this effort on the transcript entry. The AACOM Research Department has researched the impact of this policy on overall GPA in the past, e.g., in 2010, using a statistically significant sampling of AACOMAS applicants, the Repeat Policy raised the mean science GPA by .03 and the non-science GPA by .01 on a 4.0 scale.

AACOM acknowledges the fact that there are many aspirants and applicants who face the hurdle of a poor academic record that may have resulted for a variety of reasons, but which an individual has been able to overcome. These individuals deserve to be included within the context of holistic review that each school performs and has always performed. There is nothing about this policy that will prevent COMs from taking into consideration an applicant’s accomplishment in re-taking a course as a part of their application process if they choose to do so."

---

It is understandable that this has truly imparted a large amount of surprise and stress on anyone who was utilizing this policy. The announcement was very quick and the change very swift. As a silver lining, it is within reason that each DO school will still utilize features that take into regard GPAs after grade replacement, SMP's, and Post-Bac programs. Please feel free to contact specific DO programs to determine how they will approach this.

---

This sticky is provided for questions regarding this change. Our amazing advisors and faculty such as @Goro , @gonnif , @Catalystik , and @gyngyn can provide advice regarding any questions about how these grades come out without grade replacement and the next best step.

--
Helpful threads:

Goro's advice on applying without grade replacement

Feel free to state any other areas you'd or pieces of information you'd like me to add to this sticky for benefit regarding this event. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How likely is it that any DO schools will do their own personal calculations for grade replacements? I know it's still early on, but planning takes months/years so I, along with others would like to know the best course of action.

I think this is a timely place to ask what the cutoffs are for cGPA and sGPA for both MD and DO schools. Is there a list?

If you make the cutoff, you're at least still in the game. The "easy" route now seems to be a killer MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
How likely is it that any DO schools will do their own personal calculations for grade replacements? I know it's still early on, but planning takes months/years so I, along with others would like to know the best course of action.

@Goro would probably have the best and most accurate answer to this but I would have to say DO schools will need to decided very quickly in order to answer these types of questions. I can see the next AACOMAS CIS (list of schools) having a section to announce something of the sort.

Even with multiple DO acceptances, It's crap like this that makes me pine for an MD acceptance.

*fingers crossed*

Reactions: 4 users
Even with multiple DO acceptances, It's crap like this that makes me pine for an MD acceptance.

*fingers crossed*

That doesn't make sense. They're changing to a method that resembles the allopathic application

Reactions: 17 users
How do adcoms see/notice your GPA trend? Is it presented to them in a graph alongside the overall GPA?

I worry that maybe they look at the overall GPA and automatically skip over you because its below average.

How do adcoms see/notice your GPA trend? Is it presented to them in a graph alongside the overall GPA?

I worry that maybe they look at the overall GPA and automatically skip over you because its below average.
would like to know this as well

Wow, can't believe it. A five-month notice surely is abrupt. What to do now...

Reactions: 2 users
I have no idea. My own Faculty doesn't even know about this change yet.

@Goro would probably have the best and most accurate answer to this but I would have to say DO schools will need to decided very quickly in order to answer these types of questions. I can see the next AACOMAS CIS (list of schools) having a section to announce something of the sort.

We see your GPA year by year. Gonnif has shown how this looks.

Keep in mind that DO schools DO count graduate and/or post-bac GPA into cGPA, so your cGPA can be helped by acing post-bac work. And MD schools look at these things as well. The concept of auto-screen seems ot be more SDN-based angst. Human eyeballs do look at every app, it seems, but there does need to be a hook to get you past a screen. Steeply rising GPA trends are one of those hooks.

Hey @Goro with grade replacement officially gone, if your gpa (both science and cum) fall below the minimums for most medical school smp programs and master programs, is a formal masters in biology a good option (graduate school) and also what exactly does a DIY post bacc consist of? Will a diy post bacc help more or less than a formal biology masters at a 4 year uni? Lastly if one retook many classes, do you think D.O. Schools will take that into account even though your GPA won't reflect it anymore without the grade replacement policy. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For DO schools, yes.

with grade replacement officially gone, if your gpa (both science and cum) fall below the minimums for most medical school smp programs and master programs, is a formal masters in biology a good option (graduate school)

You taking courses that will mimic med school subjects, like (any combo):

Anatomy
Physiology
Cell Bio
Biochem
Med Micro
Histology
Pathology
Neuroscience
Biostats
Immunology
Genetics

and also what exactly does a DIY post bacc consist of?

No difference. But a formal MS in Bio could be useful as a Plan B if Medicine doesn't work out....clinical lab tech, teaching, research tech, etc.

Will a diy post bacc help more or less than a formal biology masters at a 4 year uni?

Yes, as long as you do well.
Lastly if one retook many classes, do you think D.O. Schools will take that into account even though your GPA won't reflect it anymore without the grade replacement policy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
How will this affect the GPAs of successful applicants to DO schools? Will they go down or stay the same? My understanding is that right now its in the 3.5-3.7 range for most schools, is that going to increase?

Hey @Goro with grade replacement officially gone, if your gpa (both science and cum) fall below the minimums for most medical school smp programs and master programs, is a formal masters in biology a good option (graduate school) and also what exactly does a DIY post bacc consist of? Will a diy post bacc help more or less than a formal biology masters at a 4 year uni? Lastly if one retook many classes, do you think D.O. Schools will take that into account even though your GPA won't reflect it anymore without the grade replacement policy. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A DIY post bac basically consists of the prerequisites for medical school that you're missing before you apply. They're often taken as a part-time or special student outside of a degree, by someone who may already have a job, but wants to change careers. A DIY Post-Bac may end up taking more than 2 years, depending on how many courses you need or want to take. I asked an admissions advisor at MSUCOM, she told me you need to take at least two part time courses per semester for them to be accepted.

Last edited:
I am currently doing a DIY post-bacc. I spent a year retaking classes i did poorly on in undergrad only to now find out that the grades will not be replaced, but instead averaged. I managed to get As this time around in everything. They should have announced this at least a year ago so students could have planned better. I was planning on applying this cycle, and was confident that I would be accepted somewhere--now i am not sure. I don't understand why they are doing this. What makes DO schools different from a MD school now? I am currently in panic mode.

That doesn't make sense. They're changing to a method that resembles the allopathic application
because I hear tons of horror stories of DO schools shafting their own students...

Touro NY...not even gonna discuss this one
CUSOM and the current media stories
RVU not having access to federal loans
NSUCOM that goes out of their way to micromanage your 4th year with mandatory RURAL medicine rotations when the school itself is located in Ft. Lauderdale
LECOM which treats students like children with the archaic rules
LUCOM

Last edited:
A DIY post bac basically consists of the prerequisites for medical school that you're missing before you apply. They're often taken as a part-time or special student outside of a degree, by someone who may already have a job, but wants to change careers. A DIY Post-Bac may end up taking more than 2 years, depending on how many courses you need or want to take. I asked an admissions advisor at MSUCOM, she told me you need to take at least two part time courses per semester for them to be accepted.

You need to take two part time courses per semester for them to be accepted?? I retook gen chem 1 and 2 over summer 16 and fall 16, so technically ONLY 4 credits per these two semesters. So no DO school will recognize them?

Federal loans is the not the schools fault. Once they qualify the schools have gotten them. The last time I checked the only school that qualified federal loans but chose not to get them was CNU, an MD school.

You can have valid points on the others but your original post was talking about the change in policy. This policy is not "crap like this".

I didn't have to take advantage of grade replacement so I don't have a say in the matter but I do believe there should be a 2-3 year grace period as was the merger. This allows those in the pipeline that were working under the replacement guidelines to finish out

How is this acceptable in the eyes of AACOMAS? How is no warning on such a huge aspect of DO applying mentioned right before the cycle starts? Why even mention it at that point...? SO frustrating, I just can not understand the unprofessional way and total disregard for the students. I know for a fact that schools have told students re-applying to retake courses, so that right there is shot to the gut. Also, the flat out denying of this change when students contacted AACOMAS is just unacceptable. This is shocking to say the least, how an organization can operate like this.
EVEN better AACOMAS just let the students apply, and mention the change after the cycle, just for the fun of it. Oh boy, this is just so frustrating for applicants like me applying this cycle. Scrambling for viable alternatives right now and it seems SMP/post-bacc is the only choice, I dont know time will tell.

Reactions: 3 users
Federal loans is the not the schools fault. Once they qualify the schools have gotten them. The last time I checked the only school that qualified federal loans but chose not to get them was CNU, an MD school.

You can have valid points on the others but your original post was talking about the change in policy. This policy is not "crap like this".

I didn't have to take advantage of grade replacement so I don't have a say in the matter but I do believe there should be a 2-3 year grace period as was the merger. This allows those in the pipeline that were working under the replacement guidelines to finish out

That's my point, the abruptness of this announcement and change in policy is what is going to shaft future DO students...which nowadays are basically becoming more and more borderline for MD schools.

The only thing I'm happy for is that I'm in the 2016-2017 cycle and not being hit with this.
However, I still have my own concerns with the merger.

So I will currently graduate this spring with a 3.2 sGPA and cGPA and plan on applying this cycle (GPAs would have been 3.4ish) after I take the MCAT in June. I started studying in december and recently got a 504 on my first TPR practice exam, so if I'm able to raise it to around 510 will I still have a chance at DO schools and my state MD schools with that GPA? Or should I start thinking about doing a post-bac next year and apply after that? I'm thinking along the lines of going for a second degree in biology as I would need 25 hours in upper-level bio classes and could get financial aid, but this would only raise my GPAs to around 3.3 and I'm not sure how much that would actually help.

For what it's worth, I have a pretty good upward trend (started with 2.0 freshman year as a dumb 18 yo, transferred, and have had a 3.75 the past three years) so I'm also not sure how much more I would be able to prove through a post-bac. My ECs are also decent: the usual shadowing/clinical volunteering, EMT, ACT math, science, and English tutor, 3 years of research, received 2 grants, 1 publication (a chapter in my PIs textbook) and another on the way, poster at an international conference, multiple student organizations, homeless shelter and afterschool tutoring volunteer, and held a couple part-time jobs throughout school.

Sorry for the long/somewhat unrelated post, I'm just trying to get a good idea as to what my plan should be after graduation now that I'll be applying with a 3.2

Edit: I forgot that AACOMAS doesn't have math in the science GPA so mine is actually 3.31...hopefully that improves my chances slightly?

Last edited:
So I will currently graduate this spring with a 3.2 sGPA and cGPA and plan on applying this cycle (GPAs would have been 3.4ish) after I take the MCAT in June. I started studying in december and recently got a 504 on my first TPR practice exam, so if I'm able to raise it to around 510 will I still have a chance at DO schools and my state MD schools with that GPA? Or should I start thinking about doing a post-bac next year and apply after that? I'm thinking along the lines of going for a second degree in biology as I would need 25 hours in upper-level bio classes and could get financial aid, but this would only raise my GPAs to around 3.3 and I'm not sure how much that would actually help.

For what it's worth, I have a pretty good upward trend (started with 2.0 freshman year as a dumb 18 yo, transferred, and have had a 3.75 the past three years) so I'm also not sure how much more I would be able to prove through a post-bac. My ECs are also decent: the usual shadowing/clinical volunteering, EMT, ACT math, science, and English tutor, 3 years of research, received 2 grants, 1 publication (a chapter in my PIs textbook) and another on the way, poster at an international conference, multiple student organizations, homeless shelter and afterschool tutoring volunteer, and held a couple part-time jobs throughout school.

Sorry for the long/somewhat unrelated post, I'm just trying to get a good idea as to what my plan should be after graduation now that I'll be applying with a 3.2
forget about MD, hate to say it.

strongly consider applying broadly amongst DO

You need to take two part time courses per semester for them to be accepted?? I retook gen chem 1 and 2 over summer 16 and fall 16, so technically ONLY 4 credits per these two semesters. So no DO school will recognize them?

Here's the direct quote from the email with the admissions advisor that I got that bit of information from:

"Yes we will accept part-time courses but you don't just want to take one at a time. At least two would work."

I don't know if your credits will be rejected outright, but my honest interpretation of that is that taking one course per semester is less than ideal.

I'm not trying to alarm you or anything, and I'm sorry if I have, so please keep in mind that this is the insight of one admissions advisor at MSUCOM, it doesn't mean anything with regards to other schools. I'd recommend getting in touch with the schools you want to apply to and clarifying things with an admissions advisor.

Interesting times. Interesting times.

I never personally had to retake classes-- but from an outsider perspective I think this change is pretty short-notice--- 5 month warning really?? Unfortunate for those banking on the grade replacement who might of put years of work into this.

forget about MD, hate to say it.

strongly consider applying broadly amongst DO

That's what I figured, depending on what I get on the MCAT. What I'm really struggling with is how much post-bac would be worth it in my case, after a year or two I could get my GPA to a 3.3/3.4 but then I still might not get in and I'm stuck with more debt.

3.2 cGPA and sGPA isn't great but I gotta be honest I don't see how osteopathic schools aren't going to have to take a dip in their admitted GPA given this development, at least this year.

I'm sorry you lost some gap points because of this, I did too. But I still believe that regardless of if I'm right or wrong about what I just said, having retaken the courses still means a lot. As long as you can avoid getting screened out, which with your GPAs shouldn't be an issue, once an adcom at a DO program digs into your app they will see what you accomplished and I believe that will at least get your foot in the door for an interview.

The theory that DO schools are going to do their own GPA calculations seems unfounded given how many apps they would have to do that for. BUT if you get past their screening, I believe that they will take retakes into account to a degree still. So yes, you are applying with a GPA less than the averages for DO, and less Thant what you hoped. But given all the uncertainty right now, I don't think that's as bad a situation as it first seemed.

Either way, good luck.

3.2 cGPA and sGPA isn't great but I gotta be honest I don't see how osteopathic schools aren't going to have to take a dip in their admitted GPA given this development, at least this year.

I'm sorry you lost some gap points because of this, I did too. But I still believe that regardless of if I'm right or wrong about what I just said, having retaken the courses still means a lot. As long as you can avoid getting screened out, which with your GPAs shouldn't be an issue, once an adcom at a DO program digs into your app they will see what you accomplished and I believe that will at least get your foot in the door for an interview.

The theory that DO schools are going to do their own GPA calculations seems unfounded given how many apps they would have to do that for. BUT if you get past their screening, I believe that they will take retakes into account to a degree still. So yes, you are applying with a GPA less than the averages for DO, and less Thant what you hoped. But given all the uncertainty right now, I don't think that's as bad a situation as it first seemed.

Either way, good luck.

Thanks, you too! I think we are all in shock haha You're right though, I'm just very glad that I didn't fall below the auto-screen line. I can't imagine what someone who just fell below it must feel like right now

Thanks, you too! I think we are all in shock haha You're right though, I'm just very glad that I didn't fall below the auto-screen line. I can't imagine what someone who just fell below it must feel like right now
Whats the auto screen line at? Im standing at 3.18 cGPA and 2.85 sGPA w/o replacement (w/ replacement 3.41 cGPA , 3.20 sGPA) by application time.
Are my dreams dead? Currently studying for the MCAT.

Whats the auto screen line at? Im standing at 3.18 cGPA and 2.85 sGPA w/o replacement (w/ replacement 3.41 cGPA , 3.20 sGPA) by application time.
Are my dreams dead? Currently studying for the MCAT.

I believe most are 3.0 for both, some below (I think CCOM is 2.75 to send secondaries) and some above. The highest for DO is KCU at 3.25.

Yeah if we could get an official GPA cutoff line that would help @Goro

Also, is it the same for MD schools?

This is so unfortunate for many applicants that put in the hours, money, and emotional/mental effort into retaking a bunch of classes.
I got hit with this policy change but I'm no where near some of the other applicants as my GPA dipped slightly. It's safe to say that if your cumulative or science GPA dipped below 3.0 then no matter what you score on the MCAT, then it's still a big gamble. Schools like Campbell, KCU, and VCOM have a hard cutoff of around 3.2 but YMMV as I've seen some people get past those screens.
Let's hope that some public uproar from the premed community along with some adcoms and advisors can delay this change for at least a year.

So basically I shouldn't even apply this cycle like I was planning to before this change? Whats a better alternative, SMP or post-bacc? What do i do, the sky seems like it is falling even though Goro told to me relax. I just cant seem to catch a break. A year earlier I could have had a much better chance, now it seems like im a dead fish in the water.

So basically I shouldn't even apply this cycle like I was planning to before this change? Whats a better alternative, SMP or post-bacc? What do i do, the sky seems like it is falling even though Goro told to me relax. I just cant seem to catch a break. A year earlier I could have had a much better chance, now it seems like im a dead fish in the water.

We are all in this together, so there is nothing we can do now, except formulate a backup plan. Your 2.85 sGPA is problematic, I wouldn't apply with that tbh, unless you scored something in the 510+ range along with stellar ECs and LoRs.

If you live in one of those states where the public MD school offers a linkage program then that would be a good option. I haven't looked into this but I've seen people talk about DO schools that have SMP programs, I know Midwestern has one.

We are all in this together, so there is nothing we can do now, except formulate a backup plan. Your 2.85 sGPA is problematic, I wouldn't apply with that tbh, unless you scored something in the 510+ range along with stellar ECs and LoRs.

If you live in one of those states where the public MD school offers a linkage program then that would be a good option. I haven't looked into this but I've seen people talk about DO schools that have SMP programs, I know Midwestern has one.
My state does have linkage programs (NY). Would that be my best bet at this point? Since everything is so unclear, we are assuming that DO schools wont do any sort of replacement, should I be applying for those DO linkage programs? Can I even get into those linkage programs with my sGPA? Two Fs freshman year seems that is going to determine the rest of my life now... I am currently studying for the MCAT so a lot is still in the air, pending the score I get. Would a killer MCAT give me some hope for some DO schools?

Last edited:
My state does have linkage programs (NY). Would that be my best bet at this point? Since everything is so unclear, we are assuming that DO schools wont do any sort of replacement, should I be applying for those DO linkage programs? Can I even get into those linkage programs with my sGPA? Two Fs freshman year seems that is going to determine the rest of my life now... I am currently studying for the MCAT so a lot is still in the air, pending the score I get. Would a killer MCAT give me some hope for some DO schools?

Prior to this policy change a 2.85 would warrant not applying but it is difficult at the moment because no one knows how schools are going to handle this. It is all assumption at this point.

At the very least I think the policy should be grandfathered for this coming cycle. Even a 1.5 yr notice would allow a student to prepare semi-appropriately but for those in this upcoming cycle it's a cheap shot.

I would say focus on performing well on the MCAT. That advice will not change. But the best you can do is move forward as if you are applying but be prepared to delay if need be.

The outcry may cause a delay in the policy to take effect and you don't want to be caught not ready to take full advantage of it this coming cycle if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just sent the email to them at [email protected]. This is the email listed with the policy change. Maybe if we generate enough outcry, we can delay it for at least a year.

Last edited:
In all honesty, schools have almost no reason to do it. This is why they do the AACOMAS application because it feeds them all the information into an easy package. Imagine the burden this would create on a school with students calling if class A or B will replace for Class X or Y. It's already a drain in resources without this with probably very little return in terms of money generated from applications.

I'm only guessing here, but I would say the best anyone can hope for is that schools take the last 60 units to evaluate your transcript because this is a lot easier than having to recalculate.

I just sent the email to them at [email protected]. This is the email listed with the policy change. Maybe if we generate enough outcry, we can delay it for at least a year.
This is really the only hope that you guys have. You guys need to come together and do something about it. Personally, I believe you guys may be able to delay it for a year because of the impact on so many people that have been preparing for years, but I'd seriously doubt more than that will be allowed.

This is really the only hope that you guys have. You guys need to come together and do something about it. Personally, I believe you guys may be able to delay it for a year because of the impact on so many people that have been preparing for years, but I'd seriously doubt more than that will be allowed.

Strength in numbers I guess, this is akin to a Hail Mary pass in football, but hey it's better than doing nothing. I for one am still going to try to nail the MCAT, and raise my sGPA to get past the cutoffs. This is an obstacle, but anything worth having in life is earned. Life is funny that way sometimes, this was literally a rumor a few weeks ago and it actually came to fruition. Oh well, gotta keep on keeping on.

Strength in numbers I guess, this is akin to a Hail Mary pass in football, but hey it's better than doing nothing. I for one am still going to try to nail the MCAT, and raise my sGPA to get past the cutoffs. This is an obstacle, but anything worth having in life is earned. Life is funny that way sometimes, this was literally a rumor a few weeks ago and it actually came to fruition. Oh well, gotta keep on keeping on.
What are the sGPA cutoffs? I know all schools have an average, but where can i find the cutoffs?

most of the posts made by the pre-med dude with the Patrick Star avatar are false. Just want to drop that here before we get 200 new pre-meds opening up forums about RVU federal loans (RVU has had federal loans for the past 6 years), NSUCOM's rural electives (which matches the mission of the school; if you don't like it, don't apply), LECOM's rules (I'm sorry that you have to wear a tie to school every day; let me know when you're on your surgery rotation and have to be at the hospital at 5AM), etc.

Last edited:
I think we should all just wipe our tears and go to bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Am I the only one here that actually thinks this a good thing?
More competition --> stronger matriculants --> more competent residents --> more competent physicians.

Also, most of the posts made by the pre-med dude with the Patrick Star avatar are false. Just want to drop that here before we get 200 new pre-meds opening up forums about RVU federal loans (RVU has had federal loans for the past 6 years), NSUCOM's rural electives (which matches the mission of the school; if you don't like it, don't apply), LECOM's rules (I'm sorry that you have to wear a tie to school every day; let me know when you're on your surgery rotation and have to be at the hospital at 5AM), etc.

that may be true about RVU, but can you say the same about BCOM?

Also NSUCOM's mandatory rural elective can seriously mess up your interview schedule.

Many schools also limit the number of away rotations you can do in a specialty...how is that not shafting a DO student who wants to match into ENT for example?

Oh and LECOM's dress attire is not the chief complaint...their micromanagement runs much further...I know MANY lecom students who have explcitly told me they regret turning down acceptances to schools like DMU, PCOM, KCOM, KCU, etc.

Also NSUCOM's mandatory rural elective can seriously mess up your interview schedule.

Many schools also limit the number of away rotations you can do in a specialty...how is that not shafting a DO student who wants to match into ENT for example?

Oh and LECOM's dress attire is not the chief complaint...their micromanagement runs much further...I know MANY lecom students who have explcitly told me they regret turning down acceptances to schools like DMU, PCOM, KCOM, KCU, etc.

1. BCOM will have loans in 2 years; like every other new medical school. Being a "for-profit" school has nothing to do with federal financial aid. Know your facts.
2. NSUCOM's rural elective will not "mess up your interview schedule." It is a clinical requirement. Every school has a different clinical curriculum. LECOM makes you do 3 weeks of geriatrics. CCOM makes you do 3 weeks of OMM. NSUCOM makes you do 4 weeks of rural. PCOM makes you do 3 weeks of "Palliative Care." Infact, PCOM makes you also do another 4 weeks of rural medicine but I do not hear anyone complaining of PCOM's clinical curriculum. Different schools have different clinical curriculums to match their mission.
3. Yes, schools limit the number of away rotations you do. MD schools are MUCH stricter about this. If you want to do 1 year of electives, you do a traditional rotating internship year or two after you graduate. Why am I paying tuition during my fourth year if I'm going to spending the entire year on away rotations? Makes no sense.
4. If you don't like LECOM's rules, don't apply to LECOM. It's not rocket science.

Reactions: 1 users

BCOM will have access to federal loans upon graduating their first class which is right around the corner. If they chose to not accept access to federal loans that would be a red flag but one would be hard pressed to find that to actually happen.

Common cutoffs seem to be 2.75 (rare), 3.00 (most schools), 3.25 (a few). I have been able to find specifics on almost every schools' website under FAQs.