AACOMAS Grade Replacement Policy Announcement/Questions Regarding Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It doesn't say they are doing grade replacement, it just says their admissions process hasn't changed in response to this rule change. Therefore, if you had a 3.5 with grade replacement and a 2.9 without, that means these two gpas are viewed equally... right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not necessarily. If they never did grade replacement and always calculated averages (like Western), they would take into account all of the grades on your transcript and would therefore calculate your GPA at a 2.9.

Members don't see this ad.

Does this mean it will be easier to get into do school for people who didn't use grade replacement?

Does grade replacement matter if you started a course but dropped it and took it again another year.
I took Calculus 1st year but wasn't doing so great so i dropped it without having a grade appear on my transcript, but I decided to take it again 4th year and got an A. Will my dropped attempt count now?

Sorry, I'm new to the DO application process and am just learning about all of this now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does grade replacement matter if you started a course but dropped it and took it again another year.
I took Calculus 1st year but wasn't doing so great so i dropped it without having a grade appear on my transcript, but I decided to take it again 4th year and got an A. Will my dropped attempt count now?

Sorry, I'm new to the DO application process and am just learning about all of this now.
You mean you withdrew from Calculus and retook it and received an A? That doesn't count as grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 user
We are all in this together, so there is nothing we can do now, except formulate a backup plan. Your 2.85 sGPA is problematic, I wouldn't apply with that tbh, unless you scored something in the 510+ range along with stellar ECs and LoRs.

If you live in one of those states where the public MD school offers a linkage program then that would be a good option. I haven't looked into this but I've seen people talk about DO schools that have SMP programs, I know Midwestern has one.
what happens if your grad school science GPA is a 3.45 but undergrad is like a 2.9

You mean you withdrew from Calculus and retook it and received an A? That doesn't count as grade replacement.
Thanks for the response!
Also something totally unrelated, you username is almost identical to my Xbox Live gamertag haha.

Ok I have looked around and it may have been answered but I have a clarification question.

Does AACOMAS average the attempted grades but keep the credits the same? Example situation

Scenario A
  • Class A 5 Credits D+
  • Class B 3 Credits A
  • Class C 4 Credits A
  • Repeat
    • Class A 5 Credits A
Would this be calculated for 12 credits or 17 credits?
If grades for Class A is averaged, you would receive a (4+1.7)/2, so 2.65 points in a 5 credit class.

So GPA would be [(2.65*5)+(3*4)+(4*4)]/12, so a 3.43???
Or would it be [(1.3*5)+(3*4)+(4*4)+(4*5)]/17, so a 3.2???

Ok I have looked around and it may have been answered but I have a clarification question.

Does AACOMAS average the attempted grades but keep the credits the same? Example situation

Scenario A
  • Class A 5 Credits D+
  • Class B 3 Credits A
  • Class C 4 Credits A
  • Repeat
    • Class A 5 Credits A
Would this be calculated for 12 credits or 17 credits?
If grades for Class A is averaged, you would receive a (4+1.7)/2, so 2.65 points in a 5 credit class.

So GPA would be [(2.65*5)+(3*4)+(4*4)]/12, so a 3.43???
Or would it be [(1.3*5)+(3*4)+(4*4)+(4*5)]/17, so a 3.2???
it would be 17 credits.
it would be the last calculation.

why you have 1.7 for D+ initially and later you have it 1.3?

Total would be 3.21

Finger Crossed! let's see what happens next :)

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but this has really been confusing me. I'm still quite unsure how my calculated GPA will be given the new policy change.

I wanted to know if grades replaced by my Undergraduate school will be counted against me on my AACOMAS application. In other words- my undergraduate transcript does not include those courses (2) that were repeated in the GPA calculation. Im sorry if I wasn't able to get the message across properly but hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to get at. Thanks in advance

Hey guys, I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere but this has really been confusing me. I'm still quite unsure how my calculated GPA will be given the new policy change.

I wanted to know if grades replaced by my Undergraduate school will be counted against me on my AACOMAS application. In other words- my undergraduate transcript does not include those courses (2) that were repeated in the GPA calculation. Im sorry if I wasn't able to get the message across properly but hopefully you guys understand what I'm trying to get at. Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, even if your school does grade replacement, it won't work for your application. Even though your school now is only calculating your most recent class, it won't work that way when applying for medical school.

So I started to look into trying to get my previous Fs and Ds removed from my transcript and my college does offer this "Academic Second Chance allows qualified students to petition for up to two semesters of coursework to be excluded from the student’s cumulative GPA. All quality points from the courses within the Academic Second Chance semester will be removed from the academic record and any passing grades will not be used for degree completion. Coursework eligible for Academic Second Chance must be at least five years old and the student must have completed a minimum of 12 credits with a “C” or better since re-enrollment. Students inquiring about Academic Second Chance petition procedures and qualifications should meet with an academic advisor." I am going to go speak with an advisor tomorrow. My GPA would be around a 3.5 with grade forgiveness at the end of my undergraduate now without it I am looking at right under a 3.0 I believe. I really wantto stress to everyone to seek information on this topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I started to look into trying to get my previous Fs and Ds removed from my transcript and my college does offer this "Academic Second Chance allows qualified students to petition for up to two semesters of coursework to be excluded from the student’s cumulative GPA. All quality points from the courses within the Academic Second Chance semester will be removed from the academic record and any passing grades will not be used for degree completion. Coursework eligible for Academic Second Chance must be at least five years old and the student must have completed a minimum of 12 credits with a “C” or better since re-enrollment. Students inquiring about Academic Second Chance petition procedures and qualifications should meet with an academic advisor." I am going to go speak with an advisor tomorrow. My GPA would be around a 3.5 with grade forgiveness at the end of my undergraduate now without it I am looking at right under a 3.0 I believe. I really wantto stress to everyone to seek information on this topic.
How is that even fair?

Is that only for school's cumulative GPA and school's record or the Official transcript? I doubt they will remove it from the transcript.

I thought AACOMAS and AAMC require all courses to be reported that were ever taken.

Last edited:
Second Chance Policy
Students who have been readmitted to the University at Buffalo after having academic difficulty during previous attendance at UB may be eligible for forgiveness of previous grades. If approved:

1. All credits and grades earned prior to the student’s break in attendance at UB will not be calculated into the student’s cumulative UB credits and GPA;
  2. All previously completed UB coursework cannot count towards degree requirements, major acceptance criteria, or course prerequisites; and
  3. Although not included in the cumulative GPA calculation, grades will remain on the transcript.

Another school:

ASC courses remain
a part of the transcript
with
a notation that academic second chance has been applied and those grades are not
included in GPA calculations.

I have checked another school as well. It says the same thing.

Last edited:
Second Chance Policy
Students who have been readmitted to the University at Buffalo after having academic difficulty during previous attendance at UB may be eligible for forgiveness of previous grades. If approved:

1. All credits and grades earned prior to the student’s break in attendance at UB will not be calculated into the student’s cumulative UB credits and GPA;
  2. All previously completed UB coursework cannot count towards degree requirements, major acceptance criteria, or course prerequisites; and
  3. Although not included in the cumulative GPA calculation, grades will remain on the transcript.

Another school:
ASC courses remain
a part of the transcript
with
a notation that academic second chance has been applied and those grades are not

I don’t know why my school would offer grade forgiveness and this if it would remain on the transcript. I will report back tommorow after speaking with my advisor!

Second Chance Policy

Another school:
ASC courses remain
a part of the transcript
with

Well i will definitely report back with my findings tommorow!

I don’t know why my school would offer grade forgiveness and this if it would remain on the transcript. I will report back tommorow after speaking with my advisor!
The reason is a fresh start is to get admitted into some program/degree. Most may have 2.0-2.5 minimum requirements or if someone has below that, they wont be able to graduate. It gives a second chance to get into a program and graduate with a degree. But all grades will remain on the transcript. That's at least how I understand it. Otherwise it would be unfair for other students at other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The reason is a fresh start to get admitted into some program/degree. Most may have 2.0-2.5 minimum requirements or if someone has below that, they wont be able to graduate. It gives a second chance to get into a program and graduate with a degree. But all grades will remain on the transcript. That's at least how I understand it. Otherwise it would be unfair for other students at other schools.
That makes sense.

This is what AMCAS says:

Note:
You have indicated a Repeated course. If your school has an academic forgiveness policy, and subsequently replaces the original grade received with a special transcript symbol, the original grade regardless of whether or not it appears on the Official Transcript must be entered on your AMCAS application. If the original grade is not entered, AMCAS will return your application to you to enter the original grade. Please note that this may cause you to miss application deadlines and forfeit fees.

Reactions: 1 users