AACOMAS Grade Replacement Policy Announcement/Questions Regarding Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am so full of emotions right now about this abrupt change in policy. Most of us realize that we aren't owed a spot in any program. This is why we have dedicated years of effort in attempting to become competitive applicants. Earlier today, within less than a minute, I realized that I went from being a competitive applicant to having not much chance at all. Even as I write this I am still in shock. I just want to share my story.

I am also a non-traditional applicant like many of you. College began just like high school ended. I was in a very bad spot in life following my parents divorce. I had no life stability, lived on my own and every time I enrolled in school I found myself either having to move or change jobs. With no financial assistance and struggling to find the stability I needed in life I accumulated a total of 18 W's and a 0.85 GPA from 2002-2006. At the time I had no intention of becoming a medical professional. I was simply trying to survive. After 2006 I took a considerable amount of time off attempting to be successful in college. Eventually I found my calling at the time through fitness. I became a personal trainer and was very successful at helping my clients make life changes.

After finding some stability in life I decided to go back to school. I re-took all of the classes I failed and fixed my transcripts. It wasn't perfect, but I got my AA and took all of my Bio pre-requisites. During this time I brought my GPA up to a respectable 3.4, with forgiveness of course. I still didn't think I every had any chance at becoming a physician. All I knew was that I had a gift for helping people. It was evident by the impact I was able to make on the lives of so many of my clients. Life was still challenging though, I went through a marriage and a divorce within one year. In 2012 I was denied admittance by the university I now attend. The Bio adviser told me to my face that she didn't think I was cut out for a degree in Biology.

A year later I finally was given an opportunity at a satellite campus when I was accepted into their Biology program. No longer in financial stress, I finished all my upper levels with a 3.89 GPA and graduated with a BS in Bio and a minor in biophysics. Currently I haven't received anything lower than an A- in any science course since transferring. At this university I had the opportunity to become very involved in extracurricular activities (pre-med club, student government, president of triathlon club, computational biology club). I also trained one of my clients who was a 60 year old woman with Crohn's disease to complete an Ironman triathlon with me. During the training her symptoms went into remission and she has been symptom free for over 2 years. I got a second job as a tutor and ended up tutoring kids at a local children's hospital. When I graduated, my GPA which was once a 0.85 was now a 3.51 cGPA. My sGPA is a 3.49. I knew my application still needed work to overcome the tremendous blemish so I applied and was accepted to a SMP where I am now currently enrolled.

I have a 3.91 in the SMP and am planning to apply this cycle. With everything I have accomplished I felt that I finally had a good chance at being admitted. Many of my friends and peers have been accepted or are currently attending MD and DO programs. Even though I am now 32, they all consider me an equal. It probably doesn't hurt that I am in great physical shape and look like I am 25. I out perform many of them in class. I always knew I would have an uphill battle, but because they don't know the severity of my transcript issues they all assume that I will get accepted somewhere and that I worry too much.

Today my AACOMAS GPA went from a 3.54 cGPA to a 2.44. I'm only mad at myself for allowing myself to be in this position in the first place. I know that I didn't get to this point in life only to allow myself to quit on my dream just because of a policy change. Even though my chances of being accepted to a DO school are now bleak, I will not give up. Hey, my mothers primary went to St. George's and loved it. Wherever I end up I will continue to give it everything I have and more. Life never ends up exactly the way you planned. Obstacles like this will define who you become and only prove how hard you are willing to work. Where there is a will... there is a way.

Just wanted to share and get these feeling off my chest. I wish you all the best of luck in accomplishing your dreams!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 20 users
I am so full of emotions right now about this abrupt change in policy. Most of us realize that we aren't owed a spot in any program. This is why we have dedicated years of effort in attempting to become competitive applicants. Earlier today, within less than a minute, I realized that I went from being a competitive applicant to having not much chance at all. Even as I write this I am still in shock. I just want to share my story.

I am also a non-traditional applicant like many of you. College began just like high school ended. I was in a very bad spot in life following my parents divorce. I had no life stability, lived on my own and every time I enrolled in school I found myself either having to move or change jobs. With no financial assistance and struggling to find the stability I needed in life I accumulated a total of 18 W's and a 0.85 GPA from 2002-2006. At the time I had no intention of becoming a medical professional. I was simply trying to survive. After 2006 I took a considerable amount of time off attempting to be successful in college. Eventually I found my calling at the time through fitness. I became a personal trainer and was very successful at helping my clients make life changes.

After finding some stability in life I decided to go back to school. I re-took all of the classes I failed and fixed my transcripts. It wasn't perfect, but I got my AA and took all of my Bio pre-requisites. During this time I brought my GPA up to a respectable 3.4, with forgiveness of course. I still didn't think I every had any chance at becoming a physician. All I knew was that I had a gift for helping people. It was evident by the impact I was able to make on the lives of so many of my clients. Life was still challenging though, I went through a marriage and a divorce within one year. In 2012 I was denied admittance by the university I now attend. The Bio adviser told me to my face that she didn't think I was cut out for a degree in Biology.

A year later I finally was given an opportunity at a satellite campus when I was accepted into their Biology program. No longer in financial stress, I finished all my upper levels with a 3.89 GPA and graduated with a BS in Bio and a minor in biophysics. Currently I haven't received anything lower than an A- in any science course since transferring. At this university I had the opportunity to become very involved in extracurricular activities (pre-med club, student government, president of triathlon club, computational biology club). I also trained one of my clients who was a 60 year old woman with Crohn's disease to complete an Ironman triathlon with me. During the training her symptoms went into remission and she has been symptom free for over 2 years. I got a second job as a tutor and ended up tutoring kids at a local children's hospital. When I graduated, my GPA which was once a 0.85 was now a 3.51 cGPA. My sGPA is a 3.49. I knew my application still needed work to overcome the tremendous blemish so I applied and was accepted to a SMP where I am now currently enrolled.

I have a 3.91 in the SMP and am planning to apply this cycle. With everything I have accomplished I felt that I finally had a good chance at being admitted. Many of my friends and peers have been accepted or are currently attending MD and DO programs. Even though I am now 32, they all consider me an equal. It probably doesn't hurt that I am in great physical shape and look like I am 25. I out perform many of them in class. I always knew I would have an uphill battle, but because they don't know the severity of my transcript issues they all assume that I will get accepted somewhere and that I worry too much.

Today my AACOMAS GPA went from a 3.54 cGPA to a 2.44. I'm only mad at myself for allowing myself to be in this position in the first place. I know that I didn't get to this point in life only to allow myself to quit on my dream just because of a policy change. Even though my chances of being accepted to a DO school are now bleak, I will not give up. Hey, my mothers primary went to St. George's and loved it. Wherever I end up I will continue to give it everything I have and more. Life never ends up exactly the way you planned. Obstacles like this will define who you become and only prove how hard you are willing to work. Where there is a will... there is a way.

Just wanted to share and get these feeling off my chest. I wish you all the best of luck in accomplishing your dreams!

Look into the Atlantic Bridge and OzTrek. If you're willing to go to the Caribbean why not Ireland or Australia? You'll be an IMG either way.

Look into the Atlantic Bridge and OzTrek. If you're willing to go to the Caribbean why not Ireland or Australia? You'll be an IMG either way.

My dad's from Ireland and I was born in England so that might be a good option!

Members don't see this ad :)

Honestly, you made a huge mistake going into an SMP when you had a 3.54, but I also doubt that you'll be rejected from your home institution if you have a 3.91. However, speak to your school and make sure you won't be beaten by the screen.

This isn't a millennial issue. It's basic fairness. People invested time, money and other missed opportunities to try to play the game by their rules. The timing of the announcement and implementation will inevitably screw a group of people over. Their letter on the subject demonstrates they know this (lawyer this and lawyer that) and that they don't care.

Reactions: 15 users

I'm in a very similar position, and I sympathize with your emotions. I got the e-mail while I was shopping today for groceries. I couldn't finish I just went home. I failed 2 straight semesters about 9 years ago, since then with grad replacement came up to a 3.52, not so much anymore. A's in all my prerequisites except B+ in ochem, just studying for the mcat this June so I could apply early in the cycle....the last 5 years for what. I'm 27, so not quite as old, but I would have been starting at 29 years old, but it all seemed worth it at the time. Even if I'd known a year ago, I would have registered for the mcat early and applied this last cycle. They sprung this on is at the last minute, with practically no time to change. Most MCAT locations are totally full for ones that would give scores in time. It's just overwhelming. Stressful years, student loans, shadowing, going the extra mile, all for who knows what? And I get the hurt you feel, having those who feel you are equal with them, because they've known you since you've made these changes, but years past ruin that. You're right, it is our fault, but I feel we would have been well served by having all the facts, knowing what we were getting ourselves into. I feel you. You're not alone.

Reactions: 6 users
My state does have linkage programs (NY). Would that be my best bet at this point? Since everything is so unclear, we are assuming that DO schools wont do any sort of replacement, should I be applying for those DO linkage programs? Can I even get into those linkage programs with my sGPA? Two Fs freshman year seems that is going to determine the rest of my life now... I am currently studying for the MCAT so a lot is still in the air, pending the score I get. Would a killer MCAT give me some hope for some DO schools?

Not to change the topic but what public school in New York has an SMP with a linkage program? And what is the program?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just want to spread some positivity during these weird times. Just remember that there's always a way if your will is strong enough. Channel your scared energy into studying, and if you have to extend your path because of this, view it as an opportunity to grow more as a person before medical school
Begins. You have to make the best out of the situation, or else you'll give up and get depressed. Getting kinda sad seeing posts about switching to other fields, giving up, etc. Those fields are completely different from medicine. Medicine is an extremely rewarding field and is a great channel to literally practice helping and healing others. If you truly were passionate about it, don't let this adversity keep you from that. I, too, spent thousands of dollars and time retaking classes. Just know that it wasn't for nothing. It makes me sad that you guys are sad. Cheer up, buds, life is short. It seems like the end of the world- trust me, I was crying for about a day about this. But all in all, you CAN make it. Use this huge obstacle as a reason to stop getting in your own way. I'm extremely upset about this, too, but I still believe in myself and believe that I will become a physician. My path got lengthened, And the financial guilt kills me, but maybe I'll find a way to have some fun along the way.

Reactions: 4 users
Considering most of you are 21-25, DO NOT give up. I turn 27 in a month and will NOT be giving up if I do not get in this cycle. You all have plenty of time! If anyone should be concerned, it's my old a**. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep pushing on! Every destination has many different pathways that lead to it. In the end, It's up to you to find those alternative pathways and take advantage of them. I am taking 16 credit hours of core sciences this semester (Micro, Pathophysiology, A&PII, Orgo II) at my local C.C. to prove my abilities to adcoms.

And above all, STAY POSITIVE! Negative energy = bad energy. With that being said, time for me to go to bed. I have my first Orgo II lecture in the morning :).
It's so true. You get back what you put out. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It's so true. You get back what you put out. I'm old too! Gonna be 27 when I start med school probably, currently 24. Who cares, life is what you make of it.

Agreed. The "mourning" phase is over. It's time to get back to work!

Reactions: 1 users
So this may not be helpful for some people, but for those of you like myself that have bad grades from years ago at a school look into 'academic renewal' policies. I took classes 6 years ago at a community college and had no clue what I was doing and didn't do very well...however my GPA after transferring to a university later was on the uphill, and my last year I had 3.8 with all upper division bio classes and a grad level virology class. After hearing the news today, being sad and readdressing my options I found that the community college I attended way back when has an academic renewal policy where old grades can be removed from the transcript if I can prove they no longer reflect my current academic capabilities. There's obviously weird stipulations to it (which thankfully I meet) like how many credits total can be removed, must be courses taken over 5 years ago and must have maintained a 2.7 or better GPA in at least 16 units taken at the CC after the classes requesting to be renewed, etc. I'm going to go basically go in and do everything I can to plead my case to possibly get a few crap grades that I was planning on retaking to be removed (which would help my gpa by 0.3). I don't know if this is a thing at other schools but for those of you in a similar situation this may be a small silver lining and something to look into.

This really isn't fair to those who have put in so much time and effort to improve their GPAs, only for AACOMAS to give such late notice. The grade replacement policy helped me some, so I can understand how frustrated some of y'all would be. Hopefully, DO schools will try to work around this by maintaining their more holistic review, and pay closer attention to positive trends and improvements in GPA. Best of luck to all applying for the next cycle! Stay strong and positive. Things will work out for the best. :D

So this may not be helpful for some people, but for those of you like myself that have bad grades from years ago at a school look into 'academic renewal' policies. I took classes 6 years ago at a community college and had no clue what I was doing and didn't do very well...however my GPA after transferring to a university later was on the uphill, and my last year I had 3.8 with all upper division bio classes and a grad level virology class. After hearing the news today, being sad and readdressing my options I found that the community college I attended way back when has an academic renewal policy where old grades can be removed from the transcript if I can prove they no longer reflect my current academic capabilities. There's obviously weird stipulations to it (which thankfully I meet) like how many credits total can be removed, must be courses taken over 5 years ago and must have maintained a 2.7 or better GPA in at least 16 units taken at the CC after the classes requesting to be renewed, etc. I'm going to go basically go in and do everything I can to plead my case to possibly get a few crap grades that I was planning on retaking to be removed (which would help my gpa by 0.3). I don't know if this is a thing at other schools but for those of you in a similar situation this may be a small silver lining and something to look into.
@kelminak this might help you

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome! Hopefully you can make that work. Are you sure you wouldn't have to report the old grades at all to AACOMAS? If so, this sounds golden. Rooting for you!

That's awesome! Hopefully you can make that work. Are you sure you wouldn't have to report the old grades at all to AACOMAS? If so, this sounds golden. Rooting for you!

So as far as I can tell by the wording in the schools policy handbook (I really did a deep dive out of desperation) it sounds like it's completely exempt from GPA calculations on the schools end. And it was noted that any coursework removed will be void if you used it for transfer or degree requirements at other schools...so to me it sounds like it just kind of disappears. I have to meet with an academic counselor with all my transcripts submitted before I can apply for it so I'm going to get more details. I'm really hoping this works out. Even if AACOMAS sees it and treats them almost as W's I'd prefer that. I'll update once I meet with the counseling office, I've since moved 5 hrs away so I have to make a trip back there very soon.

I highly recommend everyone to look into their schools policies online and/or go talk to a counselor about what options you might have. There are people at schools that will advocate for your success, especially if you went through a personal hardship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So as far as I can tell by the wording in the schools policy handbook (I really did a deep dive out of desperation) it sounds like it's completely exempt from GPA calculations on the schools end. And it was noted that any coursework removed will be void if you used it for transfer or degree requirements at other schools...so to me it sounds like it just kind of disappears. I have to meet with an academic counselor with all my transcripts submitted before I can apply for it so I'm going to get more details. I'm really hoping this works out. Even if AACOMAS sees it and treats them almost as W's I'd prefer that. I'll update once I meet with the counseling office, I've since moved 5 hrs away so I have to make a trip back there very soon.

I highly recommend everyone to look into their schools policies online and/or go talk to a counselor about what options you might have. There are people at schools that will advocate for your success, especially if you went through a personal hardship.

Good luck! I called mine and I'm SOL. Oh well, it's only up from here.

damn, I just completed a years worth of retakes only to find out now they won't erase the previous grades. I went through some tough times. Started freshman year strong. But my mom had a heart attack in the summer after freshman year...she lost her job so had to step up and get a full time job to pay the mortgage and bills for my little brother and sister. I knew I should have cut back my classes to part time but I wouldn't have gotten financial aid if I did so i kept a full school load and a full time assistant manager job doing 50 plus hours a week so support my mom, younger sister and brother. I couldn't handle the stress of taking care of my mom, the house and school so my grades tanked but I retook the 4 or 5 classes I did bad on to boost my gpa.
My gpa after grade replacement was 3.27 and science was 3.26 but without it now I'm at cgpa; 2.87 and science 2.8.
I have been working at a hospital for the past year and half as a float tech so I have a lot of patient contact. Im at a new floor every day....ICU, General med, Step down, ER etc. I just hope this will help my app.
I am also taking the MCAT in the next month or so and will have to most likely hit a 510+ to get where I have to be to apply this year.

Life happens, I wish I could go back and tell myself to have taken a lighter course load so I wouldn't be in this predicament today.
I hope everything works out for everyone. Stay positive.

So many compelling stories here that would sound great if sent in a well written letter/petition to AACOMAS... Better yet, is anyone here the son or daughter of a politician?

I am sitting here in tears after getting the AACOM notification so I apologize if the post seems jumbled.

I am a 30+ yo who spent the past 2 years and thousands of dollars doing a post bac program. I maintained a cGPA of 3.88, have over 1500 hrs volunteer experience ,and hundreds of hours shadowing. Today I closed my MCAT books for good as I will be screened out. There is no point in continuing on as I can not afford to apply without a real shot. It breaks my heart that I worked so hard to overcome poor performance early on due to health issues only to have have my chance taken away a few months before the application opens.

Last edited:
I am sitting here in tears after getting the AACOM notification so I apologize if the post seems jumbled.

I am a 30+ yo who spent the past 2 years and thousands of dollars doing a post bac program. I maintained a cGPA of 3.88, have over 1500 hrs volunteer experience in a free clinic ,and hundreds of hours shadowing. Today I closed my MCAT books for good as I will be screened out. There is no point in continuing on as I can not afford to apply without a real shot. It breaks my heart that I worked so hard to overcome poor performance early on due to health issues only to have have my chance taken away a few months before the application opens.
Don't give up. You can try for a one year SMP

No one has a problem saying "DO=MD," "DO and MD schools have the same training," "The ACGME merger demonstrates that DOs are not inferiority trained than MDs," "DO schools produce just as competent graduates as MD schools," but, suddenly, when the AOA and AACOMAS standardize admission practices and it resembles more of an MD admission standard, suddenly the sky is falling.
This is something that is LONG overdue.
DO school's admissions GPA are grossly over-inflated because of these practices. Think about it, someone could have failed OCHEM 3 times but gotten an A on the fourth try but have the same GPA credit as someone who aced it the first time and both would have the same effect on a school's average admissions GPA. How is that transparent? The new policy is needed and I think, like the ACGME merger, is another step in the right direction. This will cause more competition within DO schools and, yes, admission standards will be raised in the long run which is a good thing for the profession and DO schools begin to lose the stigma of being the "backdoor" to medicine.
I know no one on this thread wants to hear that but it's the truth. I'm sure things will change very little in the next few cycles but, for cycles 3 or 4 years down the line, this will make it harder to get into a DO school and will be better for the profession.

No one has a problem saying "DO=MD," "DO and MD schools have the same training," "The ACGME merger demonstrates that DOs are not inferiority trained than MDs," "DO schools produce just as competent graduates as MD schools," but, suddenly, when the AOA and AACOMAS standardize admission practices and it resembles more of an MD admission standard, suddenly the sky is falling.
DO school's admissions GPA are grossly over-inflated because of these practices. Think about it, someone could have failed OCHEM 3 times but gotten an A on the fourth try but have the same GPA credit as someone who aced it the first time and both would have the same effect on a school's average admissions GPA. How is that transparent? The new policy is needed and I think, like the ACGME merger, is another step in the right direction. This will cause more competition within DO schools and, yes, admission standards will be raised in the long run which is a good thing for the profession and DO schools begin to lose the stigma of being the "backdoor" to medicine.
I know no one on this thread wants to hear that but it's the truth. I'm sure things will change very little in the next few cycles but, for cycles 3 or 4 years down the line, this will make it harder to get into a DO school and will be better for the profession.

If you would read the replies to this and other threads, you would see that the vast majority of people do not have a problem with the policy itself but rather the abruptness of its implementation. The posts on this page alone show how people have invested money and more importantly years of their lives retaking courses to make themselves a competitive applicant just to have the rug pulled out from under them months before the cycle begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Reports indicate that the GPA drop will be around 0.03.

I don't think a doctor can be defined by their grade in ochem. Some people may struggle at a single subject. If I saw an applicant that retook ochem 3 times but the rest of their application was fine, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot, especially considering o chem is about the most useless class there is and never used in medical school.

DO schools won't lose any stigma for this. For as long as MD schools exist and have priority in residency, DO will continue to be a back door.

Reactions: 3 users

But DOs and MDs don't have the same training, as osteopathic schools lack the resources that are available to allopathic students. I can count by fingers the number of DO schools that have a teaching hospital. The fact that there is a bias against DOs isn't because they use grade replacement, but the fact that DO students aren't as well trained during their clinical years. Spending your core rotations at a preceptor based location in the middle of no where Alabama won't give you enough knowledge and hands on experience to compete with MD counterparts that are getting their education in a ward with fellow residents.
If you want to set the standards as equal to allopathic schools, then DO schools shouldn't accept applicants with MCAT scores below 28-29 range, but DO schools accept students with scores even below 26. If ya ask me, MCAT scores should be weighted more than a GPA, as the correlation between the score and board scores is far more relevant than a 4 year GPA with tons of GPA booster classes that are being taken.

The focus should have been on improving the quality of rotations, stopping new DO schools from popping up in every corner, making sure that those weak AOA residency programs won't be closing down after the merger with ACGME. Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that the standards should be equal, but the abrupt change in policy while giving future applicants a 5 month window is ridiculous. This change in policy should be used by students in a positive way, enroll in an SMP and ace it, score a good MCAT then go ahead and apply allopathic.

Had I known about this ahead of time I would have been able to alter the structure of my post bac classes. This is a huge set back for non-traditional students with families and careers. Life happens and it often out of our control. The grades I received 15 years ago while trying to work, recover from major surgery, and attend classes are not reflective of my current abilities nor are they reflective of the Physician I can become. A years heads up would have given me the proper time to prepare to maintain my competitiveness. As a side note- I much prefer a physician who can understand the impact of socioeconomic factors that play into a persons medical treatment and repeated a course twice than a physician who aced it the first time around but is totally aloof to everything else.

But DOs and MDs don't have the same training, as osteopathic schools lack the resources that are available to allopathic students. I can count by fingers the number of DO schools that have a teaching hospital. The fact that there is a bias against DOs isn't because they use grade replacement, but the fact that DO students aren't as well trained during their clinical years. Spending your core rotations at a preceptor based location in the middle of no where Alabama won't give you enough knowledge and hands on experience to compete with MD counterparts that are getting their education in a ward with fellow residents.
If you want to set the standards as equal to allopathic schools, then DO schools shouldn't accept applicants with MCAT scores below 28-29 range, but DO schools accept students with scores even below 26. If ya ask me, MCAT scores should be weighted more than a GPA, as the correlation between the score and board scores is far more relevant than a 4 year GPA with tons of GPA booster classes that are being taken.

The focus should have been on improving the quality of rotations, stopping new DO schools from popping up in every corner, making sure that those weak AOA residency programs won't be closing down after the merger with ACGME. Nobody is disagreeing with the fact that the standards should be equal, but the abrupt change in policy while giving future applicants a 5 month window is ridiculous. This change in policy should be used by students in a positive way, enroll in an SMP and ace it, score a good MCAT then go ahead and apply allopathic.

Have you had much experience dealing with DO physicians ? I can tell you that some of the brightest physicians I know are D.O. My husband is an M.D. physician and his fellow D.O. residents back in the day often outperformed many of their M.D. counterparts. This is an archaic view that I am tired of seeing perpetuated. Any medical school you go to is going to have some fault. All of the schools D.O. and M.D follow the ACGMEE curriculum guidelines. Honestly you are going to be wet behind the ears no matter how much you try and prep when you get out into your residency.

Last edited:
Have you had much experience dealing with DO physicians ? I can tell you that some of the brightest physicians I know are D.O. My husband is an E.M. physician (M.D./M.B.A) and his fellow D.O. residents back in the day often outperformed many of their M.D. counterparts. This is an archaic view that I am tired of seeing perpetuated. Any medical school you go to is going to have some fault. All of the schools D.O. and M.D follow the ACGMEE curriculum guidelines. Honestly you are going to be wet behind the ears no matter how much you try and prep when you get out into your residency.

Yes, I have 3000+ hours of experience working with physicians that are both MDs and DOs, and my own mentor is also a DO. Almost all the DOs I talked to have told me that the quality of rotations are mediocre at best, and this is coming from MSUCOM and PCOM graduates, so not even a low tier school. There is also the issue of audition rotations that a lot of students have to scramble and search for locations on their own, which has happened to 2 of my MS4 buddies. It is good to admit that there are flaws, but removing grade replacement will have little to no impact on the reputation of osteopathic schools if they don't fix the issues mentioned above.

I don't think a doctor can be defined by their grade in ochem. Some people may struggle at a single subject. If I saw an applicant that retook ochem 3 times but the rest of their application was fine, I wouldn't hesitate to give them a shot, especially considering o chem is about the most useless class there is and never used in medical school.

DO schools won't lose any stigma for this. For as long as MD schools exist and have priority in residency, DO will continue to be a back door.
would you happen to be able to link this report? I'm interested in reading these reports.

Hi all,

Here is what we know regarding the AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

The AACOMAS has currently informed the community that beginning in the 2017-2018 application cycle, all previous grades will be counted within the calculated AACOMAS GPA and grade replacement will no longer be utilized.

http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/notice-of-repeat-coursework-policy-change

Here is a description provided to advisors (thanks @gonnif ):

"In an effort to increase transparency, our Executive Committee, Board, and legal counsel have recommended that we move forward with this change immediately for May 2017 to ensure a fair, consistent, and transparent application process for all applicants. Legal counsel has reviewed the implementation plan and is confident in the plan and the notice of change to all parties as colleges still have independent authority to recalculate and weigh applicant GPAs and repeated courses per their own established admissions practices.

The practice of grade replacement and recalculation is not considered a best practice. In fact, under our contract with Liaison International (AACOMAS vendor), they only agreed to implement this policy for the first year of the contract with AACOM, and have done so outside of their contract requirements for a second year while we coordinate communication about this change. This policy direction is essential to move forward as a national profession whose association can be trusted to present student data in an “apples to apples” manner. It was understood throughout these deliberations that each COM can manage their holistic admission process however they would like, but that the national association and application gatekeeper must be fully transparent and not dictate altered GPAs to their colleges.

Advisors should continue to encourage students to repeat coursework, as with other health professions, if a student needs to further their mastery of a subject. The admissions committee will clearly see this effort on the transcript entry. The AACOM Research Department has researched the impact of this policy on overall GPA in the past, e.g., in 2010, using a statistically significant sampling of AACOMAS applicants, the Repeat Policy raised the mean science GPA by .03 and the non-science GPA by .01 on a 4.0 scale.

AACOM acknowledges the fact that there are many aspirants and applicants who face the hurdle of a poor academic record that may have resulted for a variety of reasons, but which an individual has been able to overcome. These individuals deserve to be included within the context of holistic review that each school performs and has always performed. There is nothing about this policy that will prevent COMs from taking into consideration an applicant’s accomplishment in re-taking a course as a part of their application process if they choose to do so."

---

It is understandable that this has truly imparted a large amount of surprise and stress on anyone who was utilizing this policy. The announcement was very quick and the change very swift. As a silver lining, it is within reason that each DO school will still utilize features that take into regard GPAs after grade replacement, SMP's, and Post-Bac programs. Please feel free to contact specific DO programs to determine how they will approach this.

---

This sticky is provided for questions regarding this change. Our amazing advisors and faculty such as @Goro , @gonnif , @Catalystik , and @gyngyn can provide advice regarding any questions about how these grades come out without grade replacement and the next best step.

Feel free to state any other areas you'd or pieces of information you'd like me to add to this sticky for benefit regarding this event. Thanks.

No such report exists.

Its literally in the first post on this thread, which was quoting an email that a premed advisor recieved from AACOMAS

Its literally in the first post on this thread, which was quoting an email that a premed advisor recieved from AACOMAS

Very relible source.
cGPAs and sGPA averages at schools will drop between .08 to .25. That's my estimate. How do I know? Why do I believe my stats are more correct? Because there have been more than 2 dozen posts in this and other threads these past few days talking about how they worked up their 2.8 GPA to a 3.5 or whatnot. Assuming about 25% of accepted students utilized grade replacement (which is very conservative for some schools; i recognize this differs per school), you will see that the minimal change is approximately .1 not .01. That estimate of average GPAs only falling by .01 is trash. Just think about it yourself and you will see that it is a made up statistic with no evidence or congruent evidence cited.

Reactions: 4 users
It's really hard to predict what's gonna happen. I think I read some adcoms post earlier that they're not even sure if the whole faculty at their program knows about everything yet. It's gonna be a few weeks until things to settle down.

There are so many factors. How many people use grade replacement? To what degree do they? How much are stats going to go up next cycle as they always do? No one can answer these questions.

Which then makes it obvious that AACOM has NO clue either. My parents are lawyers, they believe someone will sue. Probably won't come to anything, but clearly AACOM is posturing to defend their move in legal courts. Didn't they mention their lawyers twice in the update? Trying to downplay how much the GPAs will go down is a move to justify their actions and lack of warning.

My prediction is that the GPAs of applicants, not matriculants, will fall. I think the newer schools will see either a dip or stay stagnant; either would be a big disappointment from what they probably projected to increase this year. The PCOMs, CCOMs and NOVAs of the world won't go down. They're gunning to be on par with allopathic programs and unfortunately a huge part of gaining that perception is waving around matriculant averages.

I think the fair solution is to have some kind of rule granting grade replacement if the retaken class comes like 5 or 6 years after the first. Non trads deserve a chance, regardless of how poorly they did in UG the first time. The sacrifice and the risk that they incur by taking these classes and often quitting their jobs, some with families, should count for something.

Just my two cents. Who knows how it will play out.

Reactions: 6 users
Please SHARE YOUR FRUSTRATION with AACOMAS. On their website is a "Contact Us" section with a link to send directly to Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH President/Chief Executive Officer. http://www.aacom.org/about-aacom/contact/president

Also contact the admissions departments, share with them why a grace period of 2 to 3 years is reasonable by those of us who have spent time and money based upon their (AACOMAS) guidelines to pursue our dreams of becoming physicians. While the posting back and forth with speculation might be interesting, it's a waste of time if not directed to those who make the decisions.

Please SHARE YOUR FRUSTRATION with AACOMAS. On their website is a "Contact Us" section with a link to send directly to Stephen C. Shannon, DO, MPH President/Chief Executive Officer. http://www.aacom.org/about-aacom/contact/president

Also contact the admissions departments, share with them why a grace period of 2 to 3 years is reasonable by those of us who have spent time and money based upon their (AACOMAS) guidelines to pursue our dreams of becoming physicians. While the posting back and forth with speculation might be interesting, it's a waste of time if not directed to those who make the decisions.

Contacting AACOM with your frustration is a waste of time though. They aren't going to rescind this decision or postpone it. What they did was wrong but it wasn't illegal.

Not to waste more time, but the only place I could see airing grievances leading to outcomes would be at individual DO schools. We'll have to wait and see how they respond to this.

@kelminak this might help you

Thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately, this is my school's policy:

"You must not have been a student at any institution of higher education for at least five years, or at least eight years must have elapsed since you received the grades you wish to have excluded."

Neither of those apply to me unfortunately as I'm in my 7th year at my school. I'm still pretty hopeless at this point.

Thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately, this is my school's policy:

"You must not have been a student at any institution of higher education for at least five years, or at least eight years must have elapsed since you received the grades you wish to have excluded."

Neither of those apply to me unfortunately as I'm in my 7th year at my school. I'm still pretty hopeless at this point.
This was through your school individually right? It has been 9 years for me since the grades I want to go away happened. Seems like I might want to check in on that, though I still feel like aacomas would need it reported regardless. How many hours warning do you think that they'll give us before they add math into the sGPA?

Many non-traditional students are not born with a silver spoon. Hardships can be difficult to overcome as a student in your late teens to early 20's. Being born into a difficult situation can help to shape future physicians into more resilient practitioners. I remember my lab partner from OCHEM who didn't know how to fold his own laundry because his parents took care of everything for him. In my SMP many students are from prominent families. They go back to their waterfront homes and shadow their physician parent's colleagues. People like me had difficult childhoods and had to climb the ladder of life to get to where we are. The fact that we can out compete many of our peers who have MD acceptances, yet will get screened out of DO admissions, is more of a detriment to the profession. Many very capable and hard working students will be deterred from trying to become physicians. I personally get shafted by this change. What I look like on paper 10 years ago does not define the physician I will become. Eliminating people like me does not help the profession. The profession loses some of the most compassionate and driven health care professionals who may help reduce the dire need for competent healthcare in underprivileged and rural communities.

Reactions: 13 users
Many non-traditional students are not born with a silver spoon. Hardships can be difficult to overcome as a student in your late teens to early 20's. Being born into a difficult situation can help to shape future physicians into more resilient practitioners. I remember my lab partner from OCHEM who didn't know how to fold his own laundry because his parents took care of everything for him. In my SMP many students are from prominent families. They go back to their waterfront homes and shadow their physician parent's colleagues. People like me had difficult childhoods and had to climb the ladder of life to get to where we are. The fact that we can out compete many of our peers who have MD acceptances, yet will get screened out of DO admissions, is more of a detriment to the profession. Many very capable and hard working students will be deterred from trying to become physicians. I personally get shafted by this change. What I look like on paper 10 years ago does not define the physician I will become. Eliminating people like me does not help the profession. The profession loses some of the most compassionate and driven health care professionals who may help reduce the dire need for competent healthcare in underprivileged and rural communities.

:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

Yes to all of this.

A
Another swing and a miss.

You need to take two part time courses per semester for them to be accepted?? I retook gen chem 1 and 2 over summer 16 and fall 16, so technically ONLY 4 credits per these two semesters. So no DO school will recognize them?

It'll still be counted, but some schools may not see it as positive as if you did multiple courses at a time.

So I will currently graduate this spring with a 3.2 sGPA and cGPA and plan on applying this cycle (GPAs would have been 3.4ish) after I take the MCAT in June. I started studying in december and recently got a 504 on my first TPR practice exam, so if I'm able to raise it to around 510 will I still have a chance at DO schools and my state MD schools with that GPA? Or should I start thinking about doing a post-bac next year and apply after that? I'm thinking along the lines of going for a second degree in biology as I would need 25 hours in upper-level bio classes and could get financial aid, but this would only raise my GPAs to around 3.3 and I'm not sure how much that would actually help.

For what it's worth, I have a pretty good upward trend (started with 2.0 freshman year as a dumb 18 yo, transferred, and have had a 3.75 the past three years) so I'm also not sure how much more I would be able to prove through a post-bac. My ECs are also decent: the usual shadowing/clinical volunteering, EMT, ACT math, science, and English tutor, 3 years of research, received 2 grants, 1 publication (a chapter in my PIs textbook) and another on the way, poster at an international conference, multiple student organizations, homeless shelter and afterschool tutoring volunteer, and held a couple part-time jobs throughout school.

Sorry for the long/somewhat unrelated post, I'm just trying to get a good idea as to what my plan should be after graduation now that I'll be applying with a 3.2

Edit: I forgot that AACOMAS doesn't have math in the science GPA so mine is actually 3.31...hopefully that improves my chances slightly?

3.31 sGPA is solid, do well on the MCAT and still apply. Who knows what will happen with this sudden change?

Non-trad lurker here (registered an acct to post this). I'm over 30, have spent the last 2 years doing an informal post-bac at a local college in order to fix an undergrad GPA from when I was younger that included two years of major struggle (mostly in science classes). I'm not at all in the same place academically that I was when I took these classes the first time around, and my transcripts now show it. I have a great MCAT, but my science GPA (inclusive of all of my classes) is a nightmare. If you calculate with grade replacement, I have something like a 3.8sGPA. If you don't replace grades, it's below 3.0.

This change will hurt osteopathic recruiting. The original post mentions an analysis of a "statistically significant" sample [*without specifying what level of significance ... which seems fishy] of candidates and dismisses the changes as making only a minor difference to GPA calculations. Perhaps I truly am in the minority. But for me, I was planning to apply DO next cycle as someone with stats that, with grade replacement, would be competitive at almost any medical school (MD or DO), but without replacement would require a school to take a much fuller look at my academic history and trajectory. The fact that the osteopathic process went out of its way to remove an institutional barrier (in the allopathic process) that created significant differential access for certain groups of applicants, was not lost on me. It was something I took to be an indication of a greater focus on equity, and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm /now/ a strong student with a top MCAT score, and I'd argue an equitable application process would reflect this (hence warm fuzzy feeling for DO). Grade replacement helps those with disadvantaged or troubled backgrounds who did poorly at first in school and dropped out (etc) but managed later to beat the odds, find a way as an adult to return to school while supporting themselves, and come out the other side. To remove it seems inequitable to me. Particularly because, although I don't have any data at hand, I suspect the people who use grade replacement are far more likely to be from a disadvantaged background (I can check more than one of the 9 "educationally/environmentally disadvantaged" boxes in this cycle's application, although this is admittedly an n of 1). At least in the allopathic realm the cracks that certain applicants can fall through (minimum screens etc) are known and schools presumably account for this. The best case scenario is that osteopathic schools manage to adjust to the new policy in the next 5 months and start screening for applicants who previously would have been included by default. The less-than-best-case scenario is that osteopathic schools won't be able to immediately adjust to this.

Consider if you were a non-trad like myself who has budgeted to apply to ~15 schools and then interview at, let's say, 5 of them ... if the process is now "apples to apples" with allopathic, but allopathic schools are a known quantity (amongst non-trads who reinvent themselves it is well known which schools actively recruit these students), how many osteopathic would you include in your 15 schools? Now if consider grade replacement still exists, making you a stellar candidate (numbers-wise) at any osteopathic school, would the osteopathic proportion of 15 schools be higher? This change will hurt osteopathic recruiting, at least in the short term.

(In the long term, as part of a broader shift designed to boost osteopathy's reputation to par with allopathy, perhaps it will help, but at least as an outsider who has read Gevitz' The DOs, it seems like the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude of the last hundred years has continually eroded many aspects that made osteopathy special. This is just one more way, at least for me, however an outlier I might be, this is one way that osteopathy just became a bit less special.)

If I were you, I'd apply DO right now. Chances are that some of the not so competitive places might accept you. With that big of a difference, its huge. If you can get LORs in over the next week, I'd risk it. Spend the next week on nothing else, and at least apply to 10 or so that are still accepting apps.

Look into applying TMDSAS. From what I recall from a few years ago, they ignore grades from >10 years ago. This may actually be one of those cases where TMDSAS might be better for you. Also, the SMP will help you out if you continue to do well.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clarify something. There's a course I wanted to retake this semester, but would it make any difference if I just took another class instead? The grades will just average out anyway no matter what I take right? There's no real benefit for repeating the class I was going to take. It seems like repeating classes doesn't make sense anymore unless it's a sci pre req.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to clarify something. There's a course I wanted to retake this semester, but would it make any difference if I just took another class instead? The grades will just average out anyway no matter what I take right? There's no real benefit for repeating the class I was going to take. It seems like repeating classes doesn't make sense anymore unless it's a sci pre req.

If it's not a pre req (core bio, physics, chem, o chem, bio chem as well now) and you passed it the first time (higher than a C) than I suppose you don't need to take it a second time. Take the class you're more interested in and get an A.

Hi everyone,

Correct. I'd take a new one unless it was a pre-req <C. Unless you need to relearn the material for the MCAT. Take what's interesting!

For those of you that this may apply to hopefully this will give you some relief. At my undergraduate college if you were wanted to replace a grade you filed a credit deficiency form. This stated that you would forfeit any credits from the initial attempt and would be stuck with the grade you received the second time, no matter if it was higher or lower than the initial attempt. So now on my transcript my initial attempt grade is shown but my school zero's out any credits attempted. I contacted AACOMAS and verified with them that this would stay the same when entered into the transcript verification as they state credits will be reflected exactly how they are shown on your official transcript. In verifying this they said that as long as my school 0.00 out all credits for the initial attempt, the grade from the initial attempt will not be considered in the cgpa on the AACOMAS application and will remain exactly like my school has it listed. I know that some schools will do this automatically without having to file any forms. So to anyone this may apply to, I would suggest checking your transcripts to see if your school has done something like this. Best of luck to everyone!

What report and what are its assumptions?

If its involving picking up a lot of the 3.8 kids that are applying Ivy or bust, they're kidding themselves.

An awful lot of DO applicants on this forum were taking advantage of grade replacement. Sure the forum isn't representative, but I would be shocked if there's a GPA difference of .03 - certainly applicant side is going to drop by more

What report and what are its assumptions?

If its involving picking up a lot of the 3.8 kids that are applying Ivy or bust, they're kidding themselves.

An awful lot of DO applicants on this forum were taking advantage of grade replacement. Sure the forum isn't representative, but I would be shocked if there's a GPA difference of .03 - certainly applicant side is going to drop by more
I forget what the thread was. It was in med student osteo forum. Applicant pool is meaningless compared to matriculant. Apparently they ran the numbers of past years without grade replacement and that's what they were able to get. It had nothing to do with picking up ivy or bust kids.

Are they assuming that people with 3.8s that DO didn't want last time will start showering and stop giving off the serial killer vibe?
I don't know if you're reading my replies or trolling at this point.

I think we see a lot do people using grade replacement here because we were actively seeking out information on it, which usually leads to this site. SDN is FAR from representative of the matriculant population and I believe that the majority of DO students in fact do not utilize grade replacement. I think the bigger population of DO students would be the higher GPA but lower MCAT people (purely speculative btw). I think the majority of people who utilized grade replacement were non trads which I just don't think accurately reflects the majority of students. Based on this it's not far fetched to to think that the gpa statistics may in fact not be tremendously impacted.

With the expansion of schools though this may not be the case with the newer schools in particular. It's all speculation until we actually see results from the next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users