7 W's: Am I Screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, though I know this is an old thread and you probably won't check this again, I would like to let you know that you're not alone in your problems. I'm in a very similar situation (i.e. major depression), except I chose to finish the classes I was taking, and consequently did horribly in them. I, too, decided to take some time off and I'm currently in a LPN program. Not the best choice I've ever made. However, I wanted to mention to you that perhaps you could do a similar lower-level health care related program, depending on the length of time you are planning on taking off from your undergrad education. Though the LPN program I'm currently in is a complete joke in terms of the quality of education, it did boost my confidence, as it showed that I was obviously capable of more difficult programs of study. If you don't want to take much time off, you could take a phlebotomy class.
Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

if you are depressed in UG, you need to get this in check big time before starting medical school. Med school is rigorous and even the happiest of people feel depressed sometimes, so it could be a scary move for you emotionally/mentally/physically, no matter how bad you want to be a doctor. Consider taking some time off to research or something and mentally prepare yourself. Also, consider pa/pt/clinical pharm/other health related professions. You may find something that you didn't realize you love, that will be a little easier emotionally and less conducive to depression. The last thing anyone would recommend is starting med school depressed.

Are you my psychiatrist? I dropped calculus because stress exacerbates my depression and calculus was a constant source of stress. I stuck with chemistry and biology because they are far less stressful. Just because you've been accepted to medical school doesn't mean you know anything about behavioral health.

Medical school is more stressful than calculus. And depression is certainly not out of your control if you have a history of it. There are people out there who treat it.. you know, doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I've learned that I may to "W" a minimum of 1/3 of my schedule and I'm seriously having thoughts of hurting myself. I literally have no energy due to a genetic blood disorder and I feel as if there is no end in sight. I've been clinically depressed for about 10 years and as soon as things seem to be getting better (i.e. I'm going to class and starting to feel useful) I lose momentum due to something out of my control.

Yes. That is a HUGE red flag... 7 W's = u either are a poor student or you get sick often, neither of which are very good for med school. I would suggest maybe a DO but MD will be a reach.

Yes. That is a HUGE red flag... 7 W's = u either are a poor student or you get sick often, neither of which are very good for med school. I would suggest maybe a DO but MD will be a reach.

I don't get sick often but my illness is getting worse but I'm seeking treatment so this doesn't happen again. In addition, why the hell should I consider DO as opposed to MD (its as if you're suggesting that I'm sub-par)?

I don't get sick often but my illness is getting worse but I'm seeking treatment so this doesn't happen again. In addition, why the hell should I consider DO as opposed to MD (its as if you're suggesting that I'm sub-par)?

DO schools are more forgiving of academic ineptitude (low grades, withdrawals, etc)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

DO schools are more forgiving of academic ineptitude (low grades, withdrawals, etc)

Okay, but I'm not ****ing inept so you can cut that immediately

You're not inept, he's just a huge dick who is overly harsh and tries to make people feel bad about themselves for fun.

If you're actually thinking of hurting yourself, please call your psychiatrist immediately. If that is not possible, please check yourself into an Emergency Room. Not even medical school admissions are worth hurting yourself over.

With that said, he's suggesting DO because you have a larger degree of error. 7 Withdrawals, regardless of the reason, is a an issue. It's less of an issue at a DO school, because these things are always less of an issue.

Last edited:

Ok ill rephrase. DO schools are more forgiving of people with periods of poor or questionable academics.

You're not inept, he's just a huge dick who is overly harsh and tries to make people feel bad about themselves for fun.

If you're actually thinking of hurting yourself, please call your psychiatrist immediately. If that is not possible, please check yourself into an Emergency Room. Not even medical school admissions are worth hurting yourself over.

With that said, he's suggesting DO because you have a larger degree of error. 7 Withdrawals, regardless of the reason, is a an issue. It's less of an issue at a DO school, because these things are always less of an issue.

I'm not suggesting DO. I was just explaining why that other poster suggested it.

Imo the primary issue for the OP is getting their condition under control. DO schools may be easier to get into, but they're also just as easy to fail out of if you can't manage the stress.

Yes, because I have so much going with my life; this is ALL I wanted.

You're being a major douche. Get a life.

I bet you wouldn't insult me like this in real life.

I hope you have struggles in your life and we'll see if you'll have such a flippant response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, because I have so much going with my life; this is ALL I wanted.

If you're having serious issues with depression (which you openly admit you are) then are you sure you're ready to go to medical school? Get your life under control. Find a medically related job that you think you'll LIKE. Take a step back man. You're never going to succeed if you're depressed.

I hope you have struggles in your life and we'll see if you'll have such a flippant response.

Nah I would just ignore you like every other loser I know.

Srsly though, keep with the therapy. You are hurting, we all recognize it. You can't be a good doctor unless you explore your own unresolved mental/social issues. Best of luck, Major Douche.

And you wouldn't approach strangers in the street and tell them all you've told us. Don't call someone out for being different on the Internet when you're guilty of it yourself.

-I have 7 w's what should I do?

--consider applying to DO schools, they might not care about your w's.

-f*** you i'm better than that.

--i was just saying that you will have much better chances at DO schools.

-f*** you.

-I have 7 w's what should I do?

--consider applying to DO schools, they might not care about your w's.

-f*** you i'm better than that.

--i was just saying that you will have much better chances at DO schools.

-f*** you.

:laugh:

You know what, **** it, I'm killing myself.

Thanks for nothing, you elitist bastards!

Chill out. Don't hurt yourself.

i really hope this isn't real but just in case it is, please relax. this is the internet. nothing is to be taken too seriously. nothing you have mentioned would be a serious obstacle to you becoming an MD. good luck with everything, you will be fine.

Please don't hurt yourself! :( If you want to attain your dream of becoming a doctor, you can't let fear of failure conquer you. As the previous poster noted, your academic performance thus far would not bar you from MD schools. You just have to take control of this situation (i.e. therapy, break from school) and explain the circumstances when you apply. :thumbup:

Please don't hurt yourself! :( If you want to attain your dream of becoming a doctor, you can't let fear of failure conquer you. As the previous poster noted, your academic performance thus far would not bar you from MD schools. You just have to take control of this situation (i.e. therapy, break from school) and explain the circumstances when you apply. :thumbup:

I just don't see how anything is going to work out. I'm potentially going to have 17 W's all due to documented illness yet I feel that no Adcom will care; is this the case even if I finish out my B.S. degree with a 3.7+ (its highly likely)?

I just don't see how anything is going to work out. I'm potentially going to have 17 W's all due to documented illness yet I feel that no Adcom will care; is this the case even if I finish out my B.S. degree with a 3.7+ (its highly likely)?

It's not that they don't care. The 17 Ws is concerning even if it's due to documented illness because it demonstrates that you have not been able to either get your illness under control, or know when to take an academic leave of absence (and not take any classes). If you can't keep it together in undergrad, there's no reason for anyone to believe that you can keep it together in medical school.

A 3.7 with 17 Ws is not exactly impressive.

Also, I thought you had 7 Ws?

One of my friends in university had severe BPD, she spent literally every other day in the ER or in overnight psychiatric holds. Somehow she managed to go to university and got C's or just outright had to withdraw, because she was hospitalized during a mid-term or final. Her third year she managed to get on track, visiting a social worker every week, therapy once a week, and a psychiatrist finally diagnosed her. Obviously, it wasn't an instant fix and she found herself in the hospital once or twice a month, but managed to get B's her first semester of third year. After that it was solid A's, five classes, and got a 41T on the MCAT. She volunteered on the same psychiatric floor she was secured on before, got to know all the staff, and got a recommendation from her psychiatrist when she applied to Medical School. This is her first year of a psychiatry residency. So, you're right, it's rare but it happens. The expectations are exponentially high and challenging though. Stay strong :)

I was diagnosed with BPD literally the first day of class freshman year. I was out in the hospital for a week and had a rough time for most of the semester getting adjusted to meds, but I got As in everything except one A- in English and got a 3.95 GPA for that semester.

Is simply having BPD a red flag at all? Because I rarely ever experience symptoms, have stable lithium levels, and all of the doctors I see (and my therapist I occasionally see) don't seem to find me to be unstable. My GPA is still pretty much the same. I'm just really curious about that because I know my psychiatrist has made a point in that I shouldn't tell people about it in case it gets out to ignorant people who would assume someone with BPD is unstable just because they have BPD, even if they are stable and pretty much always have been. I feel as though a question about that might not even pop up in the future, but it bothers me a bit with the stigma, despite my grades. So would this just be a "don't ask don't tell" kind of thing?

And you're also a harsh person for insulting another member rather than ignoring him. Insults = :nono:

This is unnecessary in all aspects. First, SDN takes suicide threats very seriously, so this thread will likely be closed. Second, you violated the TOS by insulting the members here who tried to help you in your situation.

Care to explain OP?

It's not that they don't care. The 17 Ws is concerning even if it's due to documented illness because it demonstrates that you have not been able to either get your illness under control, or know when to take an academic leave of absence (and not take any classes). If you can't keep it together in undergrad, there's no reason for anyone to believe that you can keep it together in medical school.

OP got 10 additional Ws during the time of absence.

1. OP addresses his concerns.
2. We try to help him.
3. OP rejects our advice.
4. We try to explain.
5. OP gets enraged.
6. A member, exhausted from this conversation, criticizes the OP.
7. OP becomes offended and lashes out at all members.

Okay, but this would be the result of 2 additional years of uninterrupted study. In addition, I'm ****ing sick and tired of people telling me I can't handle school academically. I'd really like to see some of you holier than thou *******s take a full science course load while having anemia and a genetic blood disorder.

This is unnecessary in all aspects. First, SDN takes suicide threats very seriously, so this thread will likely be closed. Second, you violated the TOS by insulting the members here who tried to help you in your situation.

Care to explain OP?

Yes, because closing this thread will ensure that know one is upset by my issues (**** the fact that my life is in ****ing shambles).

You guys are the most callous, entitled *******s.

Okay, but this would be the result of 2 additional years of uninterrupted study. In addition, I'm ****ing sick and tired of people telling me I can't handle school academically. I'd really like to see some of you holier than thou *******s take a full science course load while having anemia and a genetic blood disorder.

No one is forcing you to pursue medicine. You're encountering numerous obstacles which are often impossible to overcome.

Yes, because closing this thread will ensure that know one is upset by my issues (**** the fact that my life is in ****ing shambles).

You guys are the most callous, entitled *******s.

In this three-page thread, many of us had helped you, but you're still enraged when you found the answers to be unsatisfying.

No one is forcing you to pursue medicine. You're encountering numerous obstacles which are often impossible to overcome.

In this three-page thread, many of us had helped you, but you're still enraged when you found the answers to be unsatisfying.

Yes, I'll just wake up every ****ing day knowing I could have really done the only thing I've ever wanted to do if only I had different ****ing genes!

**** You!

Yes, I'll just wake up every ****ing day knowing I could have really done the only thing I've ever wanted to do if only I had different ****ing genes!

**** You!

:confused: I lost your point here. Why are you undergoing so much burden just to pursue medicine? In medical school, residency and beyond, work will become increasingly hectic. If you can't handle college now, what makes you so sure you can handle the pressure in the future? Reconsider your career options based on your current situation and health problems.

:confused: I lost your point here. Why are you undergoing too much burden just to pursue medicine? In medical school, residency and beyond, work will become increasingly hectic. If you can't handle college now, what makes you so sure you can handle the pressure in the future?

Who the **** says its too much burden you stupid ****ing *******

Well, based on what you mentioned in your original posts from the excessive withdraws and your current health problems, it seems clear that you're being too stressed out. I would suggest to take a break from your premedicine activities and bring yourself back together.

If you were too sick to take a full science course load, then you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Knowing your limitations is important. You can get as mad as you want and tell me that I wouldn't be able to handle a full science course load either if I had anemia and a(nother?) genetic blood disorder. However, if you can't handle undergrad with your health issues, you will not be able to handle medical school until you get things under control. That is the point we are all trying to get across. There's no reason for anyone to believe that you can handle med school if you can't handle undergrad; and that goes for every applicant, not just you.

**** You!

Lots of people have health problems and still do well in school. You can't blame everything on your health.

It apparently is too much of a burden because you have 17 Ws.

I was diagnosed with BPD literally the first day of class freshman year. I was out in the hospital for a week and had a rough time for most of the semester getting adjusted to meds, but I got As in everything except one A- in English and got a 3.95 GPA for that semester.

Is simply having BPD a red flag at all? Because I rarely ever experience symptoms, have stable lithium levels, and all of the doctors I see (and my therapist I occasionally see) don't seem to find me to be unstable. My GPA is still pretty much the same. I'm just really curious about that because I know my psychiatrist has made a point in that I shouldn't tell people about it in case it gets out to ignorant people who would assume someone with BPD is unstable just because they have BPD, even if they are stable and pretty much always have been. I feel as though a question about that might not even pop up in the future, but it bothers me a bit with the stigma, despite my grades. So would this just be a "don't ask don't tell" kind of thing?

Yes

Look, I'm confident you can get accepted to Meharry/Howard/Morehouse (and others) if you can keep a 3.5+ and get a 30+ MCAT. I think the bigger issue is how you are going to keep up with med school once you're in.

What are you going to do in med school when you have lectures, labs, clinical skills, PBL and 40+ hours of studying every week? You can't take W's in med school. You either keep going or you take a lengthy leave of absence.

You will get into med school, but your med school grades will suffer unless you get your health in check and become more resilient. Work on yourself now, because your problems aren't going to disappear once you have an MD acceptance in your hands.

Last edited:
That's the point. If you're too sick to take a full science course load, then you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Knowing your limitations is important.

Lots of people have health problems and still do well in school. You can't blame everything on your health.

It apparently is too much of a burden because you have 17 Ws.

I wish I could lay my hand on you, you smug ****ing bastard. Didn't you just ****ing get accepted; who the **** are you going to criticize me!

**** you, you little wise bitch!

That's the point. If you're too sick to take a full science course load, then you shouldn't have done it in the first place. Knowing your limitations is important.

Altamont is really confusing me here. He said earlier he dropped calc because that was a major source of stress that aggravated his depression. Altamont is suffering from three health crises: anemia, a genetic blood disorder and depression. Yet he refuses to take time off, continues to burden himself with too much work and refuses to reconsider his career goals. Anyone care to clarify?

I wish I could lay my hand on you, you smug ****ing bastard. Didn't you just ****ing get accepted; who the **** are you going to criticize me!

So you make a thread for advice, then get mad when people don't say the things you want to hear?

So... did your suicidal feelings disappear now that you started threatening a member for giving his helpful advice?

Look, I'm confident you can get accepted to Meharry/Howard/Morehouse (and others) if you can keep a 3.5+ and get a 30+ MCAT. I think the bigger issue is how you are going to keep up with med school once you're in.

What are you going to do in med school when you have lectures, labs, clinical skills, PBL and 40+ hours of studying everyday? You can't take W's in med school. You either keep going or you take a lengthy leave of absence.

You will get into med school, but your med school grades will suffer unless you get your health in check and become more resilient. Work on yourself now, because your problems aren't going to disappear once you have an MD acceptance in your hands.

I ****ing hate all your racist, white, entitled bastards!

Altamont is really confusing me here. He said earlier he dropped calc because that was a major source of stress that aggravated his depression. Altamont is suffering from three health crises: anemia, a genetic blood disorder and depression. Yet he refuses to take time off, continues to burden himself with too much work and refuses to reconsider his career goals. Anyone care to clarify?

Just pulled this from the "How does my schedule look" thread.

Biology 2 w/lab
Chemistry 2 w/lab
A&P w/lab

Research
2 medical volunteering positions
Neighborhood rec center volunteer
Tutor
Clubs on campus

altamont, if you have a lot of health problems that distract you from school you shouldn't be taking on so many things at once.

Just pulled this from the "How does my schedule look" thread.

altamont, if you have a lot of health problems that distract you from school you shouldn't be taking on so many things at once.

Thanks a lot MedPR... you just worsened the Altamont Stress Paradox.

You also rejected altamont's new argument using his initial argument... so altamont rejected himself?

Also, OP you're having to withdraw from CC courses?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10571735&postcount=1

Hey guys, I'm in somewhat of a pickle. I am a CC student who recently asked multiple PIs at my local university there were any research oppritunities for students who intend to transfer to the university in the future.

I was lucky enough to have one respond and I'm ecstatic. I'm scheduled to meet with the PI tomorrow for an interview but I have a few concerns.

Because I'm a lower class-men it can be inferred that I don't have a wealth of scientific knowledge but what would be some appropriate questions to pose?

The lab deals with gene expression and uses maze as a model.

Are we being trolled?

I ****ing hate all your racist, white, entitled bastards!

The schools he listed are statistically the easiest US MD schools to get into. They are likely to take into consideration your poor academic history.

Status
Not open for further replies.