6% of USMD students, 20% of USDO students, and 46% of USIMGs went UN-matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens to unmatched applicants? Do they just simply reapply next year or what? What happens if they get unmatched a 2nd time? Do they just apply a 3rd time or what? What happens if they get unmatched 3 times in a row?

Bottom line is even if you're one of the worst students, unless you have some major red flags that could have gotten you dismissed, you should still be able to match or scramble somewhere. If you can't you messed up BIG somewhere along the line.

Members don't see this ad.

Bottom line is even if you're one of the worst students, unless you have some major red flags that could have gotten you dismissed, you should still be able to match or scramble somewhere. If you can't you messed up BIG somewhere along the line.

Yeah no, someone who hasn't gone through the match process shouldn't be talking about it

Reactions: 1 user
something to consider for USMD re applicants in the match; does it count people who have a residency spot but are trying to change specialties?
i.e. 1st match going for ortho > don't get it, soap into IM; 2nd match going for ortho > don't get it, stay in IM

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you talking about? Why would I include students that didn't participate in the match? I'm talking about previous graduates.

Actually its more like <1/2 of the MDs who didn't match, didn't match again. Don't forget that its cumulative. You probably have some people that didn't match twice in a row that failed to match a 3rd time (just like in every other population of med students).

Seriously guys, did you not even look at the residency match data. The official published report has everything there in black and white. This is the data for active applicants i.e. people who participated in the match and submitted ROLs:

Active US Allopathic seniors: 18187
Matched US Allopathic seniors: 17057
Match Rate: 93.8%

Active US Allopathic graduates: 1502
Matched US Allopathic graduates: 732
Match Rate: 48.7%

(Total Matched US Allo / Total Active US Allo) * 100% = (17789 / 19689) * 100% = 90.3%

Source:
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf
Table 4 (page 15)
A lot of people on the MD side end up going inactive because they match in the milmatch or SF match. They aren't going inactive because they're going unmatched.

To be honest, the possibility of not matching twice didn't even occur to me. I figured you'd either get a spot or give up as I've never heard of anyone not match the second time and it's apparently more common than I thought

People who want to switch specialties can enter the match again but a lot of them switch outside of the match, usually within their own hospital system. The thing about DOs is that the AOA match happens first so the people trying to match into MD spots have already chose not to do that match. I'm guessing that it's a stronger pool than the one going for DO spots. If they withdrew from the nrmp match then they would count as withdrawn, not as unmatched.

In the end, it's us mds > us dos > caribbean in the match. That's really all that matters.
Sometimes there is hubris involved as well- people skipping AOA because they are unaware of how uncompetitive their application is for the specialty they are interested in on the AOA side, or people that don't apply broadly enough. One big problem with DO schools versus MD schools is that our GME placement advice is not nearly as good as many MD schools since we don't have teaching hospitals that provide inside information on the match and how to play things. What programs we do have are often less competitive and AOA, so their advice is limited when applied to the more competitive ACGME side of things.

Savvy applicants fare well, but far more students are uninformed than most people realize.

If you built your entire app around ortho but you've got stats for FM, you might very well not match if it's clear your backup specialties are backups. No one wants a resident that obviously doesn't want to be there.

And there's always interviewing poorly. Some people are really bad at the whole interviewing thing, and that carries a lot of weight.

A lot of people on the MD side end up going inactive because they match in the milmatch or SF match. They aren't going inactive because they're going unmatched.

Again, I didn't even bring up inactive applicants. I don't know why people keep focusing on that. I'm talking about active applicants. <50% of active NRMP previous MD graduate applicants failed to match in 2016.

Again, I didn't even bring up inactive applicants. I don't know why people keep focusing on that. I'm talking about active applicants. <50% of active NRMP previous MD graduate applicants failed to match in 2016.
Ah, they're in a different boat though- a lot of them are looking to do second residencies and no longer have full Medicare funding. It's a miracle even 50% of them match- limping them in with current MDs isn't really a great thing to do. Yeah, we don't separate prior DO grads, but realistically there probably aren't a whole hell of a lot of them.

Ah, they're in a different boat though- a lot of them are looking to do second residencies and no longer have full Medicare funding. It's a miracle even 50% of them match- limping them in with current MDs isn't really a great thing to do. Yeah, we don't separate prior DO grads, but realistically there probably aren't a whole hell of a lot of them.

There aren't a whole lot of previous MD graduates either. We're talking <10% of the whole active MD applicant population, but it still brings down the total match rate by almost 4%, which was my point.

Also, I doubt the majority are looking for a 2nd residency. I know plenty of people who either didn't want to start residency right away, just up and left a residency, or just failed to find a spot the first time that go through the match again. It happens. There's probably plenty that just have a pre-lim year and are just looking for a cat or advanced position (again probably the same situation that DO reapplicants are in).

something to consider for USMD re applicants in the match; does it count people who have a residency spot but are trying to change specialties?
i.e. 1st match going for ortho > don't get it, soap into IM; 2nd match going for ortho > don't get it, stay in IM

Considering that practically no program would interview, let alone accept an individual with previous GME without an LOR from their current PD, I don't think this is a big population of current applicants. No interviews means no rank list, unless the person feels like throwing it out there for fun and to donate to the NRMP.

I don't think many PDs would be cool with keeping someone on who may possibly leave, but they won't know until after the match. My guess is most MD reapplicants are either doing an internship, research year, leaving their current program, or just finishing up a residency like MadJack said. There probably are some without anything reapplying, but I'm sure they're the minority.

That said, I still don't think in terms of matching ability there would be a big difference between the MD and DO reapplicant populations that would in some way significantly skew their matching in a way where the DOs would be matching better.

Its true though.

Wrong and even if it was, it wouldn't be legit

Sometimes there is hubris involved as well- people skipping AOA because they are unaware of how uncompetitive their application is for the specialty they are interested in on the AOA side, or people that don't apply broadly enough. One big problem with DO schools versus MD schools is that our GME placement advice is not nearly as good as many MD schools since we don't have teaching hospitals that provide inside information on the match and how to play things. What programs we do have are often less competitive and AOA, so their advice is limited when applied to the more competitive ACGME side of things.

Savvy applicants fare well, but far more students are uninformed than most people realize.

What do you mean inside information on the match? It's not like DO students are faring worse than MD students because there's some secret trick to matching, they're just worse applicants in general.

Wrong and even if it was, it wouldn't be legit

What do you mean inside information on the match? It's not like DO students are faring worse than MD students because there's some secret trick to matching, they're just worse applicants in general.
I mean that you guys have PDs that can more reliably tell you what PDs are looking for, how one should structure their application, what one's chances realistically look like, and where one should apply. PDs talk to each other about what they're looking for, in addition to knowing what they select for in candidates personally. AOA PDs often just don't have that level of information and can't provide that level of guidance, and typically are in primary care fields to begin with so their advice is of little utility to those looking to specialize.

Yeah no, someone who hasn't gone through the match process shouldn't be talking about it

Really? Let's not start this again. It's pretty common knowledge and you don't have to have gone through the match to know that.

If you built your entire app around ortho but you've got stats for FM, you might very well not match if it's clear your backup specialties are backups. No one wants a resident that obviously doesn't want to be there.

And there's always interviewing poorly. Some people are really bad at the whole interviewing thing, and that carries a lot of weight.

Right, but there's the match, and pre-lim programs, and the SOAP. Also, I consider building an entire application around an unrealistic specialty to be a pretty huge mistake. If you finish boards, are a mediocre or bad applicant, and don't realize that you're not competitive for something like ortho or derm, then that person is basically setting themselves up to fail. What I was saying was that it's extremely difficult for a person not to place into a program (somewhere) unless they have something so egregious on their application that no programs want to even consider them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Let's not start this again. It's pretty common knowledge and you don't have to have gone through the match to know that.

Right, but there's the match, and pre-lim programs, and the SOAP. Also, I consider building an entire application around an unrealistic specialty to be a pretty huge mistake. If you finish boards, are a mediocre or bad applicant, and don't realize that you're not competitive for something like ortho or derm, then that person is basically setting themselves up to fail. What I was saying was that it's extremely difficult for a person not to place into a program (somewhere) unless they have something so egregious on their application that no programs want to even consider them.
A lot of people aren't nearly as smart as they need to be with how they structure their applications. I have classmates that don't even know the most basic things about the Match and how it works. Not everyone is a high information applicant, nor is everyone realistic about their chances to get into certain specialties. Hell, we've got a surgical club comprised of about a quarter of the class to stand as testament to that.

As to placing in the SOAP and AOA scramble- those are currently an option. But the AOA back door will close in 2017, leaving people who sold themselves short and didn't apply strategically in a very vulnerable position moving forward. Right now, any DO that doesn't match ACGME can get in somewhere, because we've got nearly 1,000 positions that go unfilled. But when those are open to IMGs and are ACGME positions that are in the regular SOAP? Those unmatched DOs will be competing with over 10,000 people for a small number of spots. I predict placement rates to decline to between 92 and 95% post-2018.

A lot of people aren't nearly as smart as they need to be with how they structure their applications. I have classmates that don't even know the most basic things about the Match and how it works. Not everyone is a high information applicant, nor is everyone realistic about their chances to get into certain specialties. Hell, we've got a surgical club comprised of about a quarter of the class to stand as testament to that.

As to placing in the SOAP and AOA scramble- those are currently an option. But the AOA back door will close in 2017, leaving people who sold themselves short and didn't apply strategically in a very vulnerable position moving forward. Right now, any DO that doesn't match ACGME can get in somewhere, because we've got nearly 1,000 positions that go unfilled. But when those are open to IMGs and are ACGME positions that are in the regular SOAP? Those unmatched DOs will be competing with over 10,000 people for a small number of spots. I predict placement rates to decline to between 92 and 95% post-2018.

I could see that, but as it stands now, anyone that's not a criminal or a complete idiot and is willing to place anywhere can do it. The only people I've ever heard of that had to re-enter the match are IMGs or people that weren't willing to go to most of the places in the scramble. Granted, I'll admit there are a lot of med students that are completely ignorant as to how the match works (and medicine in general), which is why I included that in my previous post.

I could see that, but as it stands now, anyone that's not a criminal or a complete idiot and is willing to place anywhere can do it. The only people I've ever heard of that had to re-enter the match are IMGs or people that weren't willing to go to most of the places in the scramble. Granted, I'll admit there are a lot of med students that are completely ignorant as to how the match works (and medicine in general), which is why I included that in my previous post.
I know of a few people that didn't match in the past from various schools. Big red flags were present on all accounts. And I know plenty of people that didn't match and had to scramble, but they had the AOA buffer so were fine- in the future that won't exist. Like, as of next year. That's a big deal in looking forward. This coming match is the last one that DOs will have a safety net, and applying past trends to future matches has about as much folly as people saying it's fine to go to Caribbean medical schools because they know this guy that matched ten years ago- it was a different world, and we're entering a new and uncharted period in DO GME.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a few people that didn't match in the past from various schools. Big red flags were present on all accounts. And I know plenty of people that didn't match and had to scramble, but they had the AOA buffer so were fine- in the future that won't exist. Like, as of next year. That's a big deal in looking forward. This coming match is the last one that DOs will have a safety net, and applying past trends to future matches has about as much folly as people saying it's fine to go to Caribbean medical schools because they know this guy that matched ten years ago- it was a different world, and we're entering a new and uncharted period in DO GME.
DO schools will still be creating and maintaining OPTIs in order to mitigate this, I imagine?

DO schools will still be creating and maintaining OPTIs in order to mitigate this, I imagine?
The whole point of OPTIs was to grow osteopathic GME. Given that osteopathic GME functionally no longer exists, the incentive to expand OPTIs is sort of null and void. Some schools will likely continue to pursue OPTI growth, but it's likely that many of the newer schools will just say **** it.

The whole point of OPTIs was to grow osteopathic GME. Given that osteopathic GME functionally no longer exists, the incentive to expand OPTIs is sort of null and void. Some schools will likely continue to pursue OPTI growth, but it's likely that many of the newer schools will just say **** it.
The incentive, I guess, would be to maintain placement rate at 95% as the AOA currently requires.

Dude stop being wrong. First of all, this is allopathic and you know very little about the match. I know multiple people who didn't match ent, derm, ophtho but eventually got in. There was nothing wrong with their app, all honors, high step, aoa, great letters, lots of interviews. Also know people who didn't match into less competitive specialties who didn't have red flags but eventually got in. It's better to be quiet when you don't know what you're talking about and you're being told. We don't need advice about matching from a second year do student.

? my pd didn't tell me jack. There's the pd survey and charting the outcomes that is the same for everyone. Step score, grades, letters, etc. it's not hard.
Your faculty doesn't mentor you in any way or help you through the process? Pretty sad, given the amount of resources you guys have.

94% is still bad IMO. Should be closer to 100. Schools need to really beat up on these kids who try to apply to only reach programs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Your faculty doesn't mentor you in any way or help you through the process? Pretty sad, given the amount of resources you guys have.

I'm guessing you're paying just as much tuition as me if not more
Not sure how resources play into how helpful administrators are but okay

And yet those within the OPTI are not required to match students from the school in question, nor to even match DOs.
No, they aren't. Just like any other ACGME program. That affiliation can still be beneficial.

Yeah sorry but that sucks on your schools part.

I met with the PD in my field multiple times, going over my list of programs (he predicted with the exception of one program exactly where I would get interview invites and helped me create the list in the first place), going over my app and, later on, making phone calls on my behalf

We also had advisors in our field who would meet with us to review our PS drafts - usually about weekly until they were ready to submit.

They also had a formal mock interviewing program for us through the fall.

Support for the students' apps should be a high priority for every school.

You're assuming that your experience can be generalized. You were very fortunate but not every pd is like yours.

Last edited:
Dude stop being wrong. First of all, this is allopathic and you know very little about the match. I know multiple people who didn't match ent, derm, ophtho but eventually got in. There was nothing wrong with their app, all honors, high step, aoa, great letters, lots of interviews. Just more great applicants than spots. Also know people who didn't match into less competitive specialties who didn't have red flags but eventually got in. It's better to be quiet when you don't know what you're talking about and you're being told. We don't need advice about matching from a second year do student.

You're making a completely different argument than the one I am. The "competitive" people that didn't match ENT, derm, ophtho, etc. would have pretty much been guaranteed to SOAP into some family med program somewhere if they were willing to. Did the people that didn't match into non-competitive fields try and SOAP into FM, bad IM programs or other programs that went unfilled? Given that there are plenty of positions that go unfilled even after SOAP, I don't believe for a second that someone couldn't scramble into FM or IM somewhere like the Dakotas or Wyoming unless they had some major red flags. I'm not talking about not getting into the field they want or a decent program. I'm talking about not being capable of getting in anywhere.

You're making a completely different argument than the one I am. The "competitive" people that didn't match ENT, derm, ophtho, etc. would have pretty much been guaranteed to SOAP into some family med program somewhere if they were willing to. Did the people that didn't match into non-competitive fields try and SOAP into FM, bad IM programs or other programs that went unfilled? Given that there are plenty of positions that go unfilled even after SOAP, I don't believe for a second that someone couldn't scramble into FM or IM somewhere like the Dakotas or Wyoming unless they had some major red flags. I'm not talking about not getting into the field they want or a decent program. I'm talking about not being capable of getting in anywhere.

I see what you're saying. I misunderstood what you meant. What you're saying is true but not really applicable. Someone who is a reasonably good applicant isn't going to scramble into a field that they don't want in a place they don't want. They're going to do something for a year and reapply.

And yet those within the OPTI are not required to match students from the school in question, nor to even match DOs.
So you think that the merger is good, from what I gather. If you believe OPTIs will not serve schools any longer, isn't this a huge down side? Sorry, just trying to understand your stance. You think DO schools will be the future carribean schools?

No, they aren't. Just like any other ACGME program. That affiliation can still be beneficial.
This.

Every school is required to be affiliated with an OPTI as part of its accreditation requirements. Its not like new schools can just drop their OPTI affiliation. Also, OGME isn't effectively gone, its just reorganized. OGME still exists as residency programs with osteopathic focus, residency programs with OPTIs as their sponsors, and residency programs with COMs as their sponsors. Sure, the AOA won't be accrediting any residencies, but "OGME" will still exist, they just will also be able to accept MDs.

If COMs are smart and hope to maintain their 95% placement rates required by COCA, they'll continue to expand OGME. And just because programs aren't required to accept DOs or individuals from a school doesn't mean they won't be more likely to accept such individuals. Those are students that will be rotating at those programs in 3rd and 4th year. Of course they'd be more likely to take them than someone they've never met before.

Is there any word on when the AOA opens their GME programs to MD students? Combining of match timeline? What is the latest info out there?

Is there any word on when the AOA opens their GME programs to MD students? Combining of match timeline? What is the latest info out there?
As soon as most of the programs get approved for initial accred, they are allowed to enter the NRMP match and take MD students. Most programs are foregoing osteopathic recognition, so they will be taking MDs starting in the next year or two with no additional requirements.

So you think that the merger is good, from what I gather. If you believe OPTIs will not serve schools any longer, isn't this a huge down side? Sorry, just trying to understand your stance. You think DO schools will be the future carribean schools?
It's good for DOs that don't want to go into competitive fields because we will get to keep our fellowship options open, and all of our programs will have been raised to ACGME standards. Yes, the merger will make it harder for lower ranked and bottom of the class DOs, but I think that is a price worth paying so that the majority can move forward in a stronger position.

As soon as most of the programs get approved for initial accred, they are allowed to enter the NRMP match and take MD students. Most programs are foregoing osteopathic recognition, so they will be taking MDs starting in the next year or two with no additional requirements.
Whelp. See ya later surgical sub specialties.

Whelp. See ya later surgical sub specialties.
All surgical subspecialties are required to at least enter pre-accred as of this match, so yeah, they're getting tougher to get into. We did have a couple ortho matches this year on the ACGME side of things, so it's not impossible, just really, really ridiculously hard.

All surgical subspecialties are required to at least enter pre-accred as of this match, so yeah, they're getting tougher to get into. We did have a couple ortho matches this year on the ACGME side of things, so it's not impossible, just really, really ridiculously hard.
I'm sure they raped and pillaged the step though. I'm worried that the days of landing surgery with just a comlex are gone. I'll guess we will see.

Meh. No doubt about it...

but I still say a lot of this is who you know, just as much as what you know.

Reactions: 1 users
I googled OPTI but can you elaborate?

OPTIs are the network of residencies each DO school sponsors.

The network of residencies can be sponsored either by the schools or hospitals that house the specific residency. So a hospital's residency program could potentially switch which schools it affiliates with in this case. For instance, look at Des Monies' surgery program that went from AOA status to ACGME, before the merger. So it could potentially switch the schools it was originally associated with (from a DO school to MD school). The safety of OPTI would hold true more so with school sponsors rather than hospital sponsors (then again there are hospital residency programs with hospitals sponsors that take student from the local DO schools).

Last edited:
You affected yourself yourself by going to another country for your education. You will not convince Congress to hurt institutions in the united states for people that decided to leave the country and now want to come back for a job. US MD/DO first match ensures doctors trained in the US have a US job as intended and many thousands of Americans working at those institutions have safe jobs. I don't think you understand that your citizenship doesn't entitle you too a job, much less a government sponsored one after you abandoned the US for your benefit.

But the fact that you graduated from some random US Osteopathic program entitles you to a guaranteed job over Americans who are more competitive candidates than you but have trained abroad? Since when? If this were the case, medicine would be the only career field in existence with this sort of mandated protectionism. If you suggested that an engineering firm should be legally required to hire a bottom-of-his-class US graduate from some unranked US school over a highly accomplished and brilliant graduate from the top of his class at Oxford you would get laughed at. But for some reason when it comes to medicine, this strange logic seems to make sense to certain people despite it being considered absurd in every other field.

The bottom line is that programs should be free to make up their own minds. A lot of them will always preference graduates from US schools they are familiar with because they can be assured of the quality of the graduates and their competency within the US system and that is completely fine and reasonable. But if a program wants to hire a top gun who graduated from abroad instead of some underperforming scrub who scraped by in an Osteo school with a 200 step 1 then they should have every right to do so, as is entirely logical and expected in an economy whose success is founded on the premise of a free market. If you're scared this means you will miss out on a job, maybe you should work harder to make yourself desirable rather than insist that you are entitled to one by virtue of breathing oxygen and handing money to a University.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
But the fact that you graduated from some random US Osteopathic program entitles you to a guaranteed job over Americans who are more competitive candidates than you but have trained abroad? Since when? If this were the case, medicine would be the only career field in existence with this sort of mandated protectionism. If you suggested that an engineering firm should be legally required to hire a bottom-of-his-class US graduate from some unranked US school over a highly accomplished and brilliant graduate from the top of his class at Oxford you would get laughed at. But for some reason when it comes to medicine, this strange logic seems to make sense to certain people despite it being considered absurd in every other field.

The bottom line is that programs should be free to make up their own minds. A lot of them will always preference graduates from US schools they are familiar with because they can be assured of the quality of the graduates and their competency within the US system and that is completely fine and reasonable. But if a program wants to hire a top gun who graduated from abroad instead of some underperforming scrub who scraped by in an Osteo school with a 200 step 1 then they should have every right to do so, as is entirely logical and expected in an economy whose success is founded on the premise of a free market. If you're scared this means you will miss out on a job, maybe you should work harder to make yourself desirable rather than insist that you are entitled to one by virtue of breathing oxygen and handing money to a University.

I believe the logic here is that since federal and state funds are mostly used to fund residencies, which American tax payers pay for, then we should have Americans in those positions. Makes perfect sense to me, also because foreign trained physicians are likely going to be repeating training in the U.S., so not only are you diverting american tax payer money to non-americans, but you're also taking the place of a tax-payer that could be trained. I dont care at all for your 200 step 1 example.

Already responded to this line of criticism before. Refer to the last post by Giovanotto for a good response on it. Engineers don't have residencies. Once we go out after residency, we'll all be in direct competition. The government already prioritizes American students. All public universities prioritize american high school graduates, particularly those in-state for those institutions.

I believe the logic here is that since federal and state funds are mostly used to fund residencies, which American tax payers pay for, then we should have Americans in those positions. Makes perfect sense to me, also because foreign trained physicians are likely going to be repeating training in the U.S., so not only are you diverting american tax payer money to non-americans, but you're also taking the place of a tax-payer that could be trained. I dont care at all for your 200 step 1 example.
Either way, they get a doctor out of the process. Not only that, but many FMGs are required to work in underserved areas for a period of several years, AND they tend to have higher scores and more research than many of their less competitive US counterparts. US taxpayers get the best possible physician working in the most needed areas under the current system, which is winning all around compared to a US first match.

Here's why a DO student will be preferred over an US-born-IMG MD:

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

When it comes to residencies -> AMGs>DOs>USIMGs/IMGs

The taxpayer funding of residency is to ensure a future supply of physicians, not to provide protectionism for the slots to go to US grads. As long as the spot is filled that's really all that matters.

So you claim.

Logic would dictate that Americans taxpayer money should go to Americans first and only then to random foreigners. Either way, the "spot is filled" so there is no compelling reason why Americans should not receive preference. And stop using the word "protectionism" to describe basic common sense. Spending American taxpayer money on Americans instead of foreigners is no more "protectionist" than a father spending his money on his own son instead of the neighbor's. You wouldn't use that made up word there and you shouldn't use it here.