Canadian USMD on F1 matched into a program sponsoring J1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdccmd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year med student at a USMD that recently matched (early match) at a program that sponsors J1 visas only. I am a Canadian currently on an F1 and was wondering how to proceed with switching over to a J1 while I am still finishing up my med school (graduate in June) to be able to get my on-boarding stuff in order before my July 1st start date. How do I go about getting a SSN in time for on-boarding? Do I have to wait until I switch from an F1 to J1? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

following (and congrats on matching!)

Getting an SSN is one of the last things you do. You cannot get one until you actually arrive in the US on your J visa, and you must wait at least 11 days before you can apply (which seems like a completely random choice). And since you're already here in the US, you will actually need to leave and come back to switch from your F to J visa. This is often done at the Canadian or Mexican border -- you litterally cross into Canada, turn around, and come back through US immigration.

See here: EVSP: Pre-arrival Information

You should spend some time reviewing the ECFMG / EVSP site (go one level up from the link above)

In addition, your new program's GME office will help guide you through the process, do not hesitate to reach out to them. They will have someone specifically in charge of this process.

Reactions: 1 user