~3.4, 36, top undergrad school - get an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superserial

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Any recommendations for more schools to apply to? I applied to a lot, but not that many "safe bets," so I'm stressing a bit over whether I'll get to the interview stage at any top-20 school. Is that warranted? Many thanks.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=11204

Members don't see this ad.

You're right - it's very hard to get an interview at a top 20 with a 3.4 gpa. You might get lucky, but I certainly wouldn't bank on it. Your list is very top heavy, but I think you'll probably be fine IF you add all of your state schools. Why only one SUNY? Apply to them ALL. They're by far your best bets. If you want a few more OOS schools, how about Loyola, Rush, Vermont, Tulane, etc. :luck:

I agree with Phoenix. Add more of the NY state public schools.

Maybe add 2-3 of these as well: Jefferson, Case Western, Drexel, Loyola, SLU.

Do some more more research about these schools to try to cut down on the amount of $$$$ and time you will be spending. Do you think you would like PBL? If not, drop Northwestern and Cornell. Stanford really likes students with significant basic science, engineering, or policy background. Duke combines the first two years of medical school into one and requires you spend the third year doing some sort of research or dual-degree education.

Many of these schools have long and tedious applications, and I found it to be a better idea to pick the top tier schools I would truly love to be at so I that I could focus on their essays more.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all.

Any recommendations for more schools to apply to? I applied to a lot, but not that many "safe bets," so I'm stressing a bit over whether I'll get to the interview stage at any top-20 school. Is that warranted? Many thanks.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=11204

that nubmer of schools looks unmanageable. how have you been with secondaries? I would cut quite a few of those schools, and try to add a few more mid-tiers.

unless you're super motivated and can stay on top of all those secondaries

34 schools? It's doable, but it'll suck bad. I'd also suggest cutting a bunch and applying to more schools with midrange stats.