School List Critique - CA resident, ORM, 3.4 cGPA, 3.32 sGPA, Reinvention/Strong Upward Trend, 522 MCAT,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halfday36

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hi everyone,

I want to start by saying I am mostly looking for school list critiques/modifications. I've found that it isn't very helpful for me to get too caught up in my "odds" of getting in. With that said, I know that being realistic with my school list is important and I am appreciative of any constructive feedback. I heavily favor an MD school, so I will not be applying to DO schools this round. If I don't get in this cycle I will reapply next year with a mix of MD/DO.

GPA
cGPA: 3.40
sGPA: 3.32

Trend according to AMCAS unit cutoffs for each grade level:
cGPA: 2.33/ 3.31/ 3.87/ 3.75
sGPA: 2.19/ 3.30/ 3.70/ 3.70

Strong upward trend. Health issues during my freshman and sophomore years contributed to a poor GPA. I left my first university to pursue treatment. Worked hard to recover and take classes at community college for two years before transferring to UC Davis. During my time in community college and after transferring, I took a total of 134 units and got all A's, A-'s, and B+'s except one C in multivariable calculus early on in community college. Once I got to UCD, I really started looking at health careers.

MCAT
522 (130/130/131/131)
Saved up while working as an EMT and moved in with my parents for 6 months while studying full-time, since I felt it was super important to do well on this test. Really happy with the result! I recognize how privileged I am to have been able to study this long full-time without working. I tried to stay involved in my community by volunteering throughout.

Residence/Race
CA- would highly prefer to stay here but am applying broadly and keeping an open mind.
white male, ORM

Undergraduate
University of California, Davis - Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

Clinical Experience
~250 hours - covid testing technician at my university's mass testing facility during my Junior year (Healthcare Experience)
~300 hours - physical therapy aide during summer before and half of my senior year (Patient Care Experience)
~2100 hours - EMT last year after graduating college. ~950 hrs of this was spent doing basic life support care (usually lower acuity with chronically ill patients going from hospital to skilled nursing facility), and ~1150 hrs spent as a critical care transport EMT where I assisted a nurse in transporting a more severely ill patient that needs en route medications, ventilators, etc). (Patient Care Experience)

- no clinical volunteering. Hoped to fit this in but wasn't able to find something in time. Any advice on this or just opinions on whether it will be a big negative on my app?

Research Experience
almost none. Did a summer internship during high school in a lab where I assisted with experiments and presented a poster. Currently looking for work as a research assistant since I think it is the area of my application that can be most improved if I don't get in this cycle (and I am interested in getting involved in it!)

Shadowing Experience
~70 hours spread out over the last year. One experience was with a vascular surgeon whom I was able to shadow extensively and build a mentor-like relationship with. The same is true for an OB doctor I have known since I was young who I was able to shadow several times. Shadowed one ED doc, but only for one shift.

Non-Clinical Volunteering
over several years:
~200 hours volunteering at an animal shelter and a seeing-eye dog facility for people who are blind - cleaning, animal care, and adoption counseling where I interfaced with community members, linked them to animals based on their wants, and educated them/directed them to resources about animal care. Despite working with animals, my role required lots of communication with staff/clients/other volunteers to coordinate care.
~90 hours volunteering with local parks department to try to establish ecological balance by removing invasive species and maintaining trails.

Other Experiences/Notes
While being treated for my health issues after leaving my initial university, I had a couple of different jobs to see where my interests lay. Led a class of behaviorally challenged children during summer school to ensure safety and tailor their learning to their individual education goals. Spent about ~6 months interning at a software company where I did market research and led focus groups to give feedback to the product development team.

I felt lost for a while about what I wanted, but ultimately I see this time as an important part of my development. It is frustrating to feel that it is holding me back now (since my GPA was atrocious, it didn't help that I was an engineering major), but ultimately my own health issues helped me to build the empathy I would like to bring to my patients someday. Still working on a way to acknowledge this period of my life while focusing on what I have accomplished since then, so any advice on that score is appreciated.

For what it's worth, I feel I am going to have some really strong letters - 2 from doctors (vascular surgeon/OB) I shadowed extensively and have mentor-mentee relationships with, 1 from a pediatric oncologist whose clinic I volunteered in during high school after he treated my brother's cancer, 1 from a nurse I worked with and did a really good job with as an EMT, and 1 from the volunteer coordinator at the animal shelter.

School List
I built my school list by first adding all my state schools and then using Goro's posts about schools that tend to favor reinvention. I know there are a lot right now (probably too many). Asterisks mark schools where I fall above at least the 10th percentile of the matriculated applicants' GPA. They are in no particular order.

Please let me know of any additions/subtractions or just general thoughts on my application/school list! I really appreciate any and all feedback.
Would especially love any input from @Goro and @UCSFgirl

UC Davis*
UC San Francisco
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
UC Riverside*
UC Los Angeles*
Tulane University*
New York Medical College*
Albany Medical College*
Albert Einstein
Georgetown University
George Washington University
University of Miami
Boston University
Columbia University
Duke University
Case Western Reserve University
Vanderbilt University
University of Pittsburgh
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University*
Mayo Clinic
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Eastern Virginia Medical School*
Wake Forest University
Tufts University*
Dartmouth University
University of Chicago Pritzker
Drexel University*
University of Nevada, Reno*
Temple University*
Thomas Jefferson University
Loyola University Chicago Stritch*
University of Colorado
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Oregon Health and Science University*
University of Washington*
University of Utah
University of Arizona*
University of Arizona - Phoenix*
University of New Mexico
University of Texas at Austin Dell
University of Vermont*
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter SOM*
Pennyslvania State University
West Virginia University
Oakland University William Beaumont
Western Michigan University
Medical College of Wisconsin*
Saint Louis University
Creighton University
Nova Southeastern University*

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered DO schools? Why/not?

As you know, UC schools like to pick applicants who grew up near their campus region and especially those from underresourced backgrounds. I'm guessing you have investigated your eligibility in the UC Postbac Consortium.

Have you been able to reach out to the schools with asterisks? Many of your schools seem out of reach because they don't take many OOS candidates; those they do will have much higher GPAs.

Reactions: 1 users
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Loyola expects many more non clinical volunteering hours than you have. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
TCU
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Colorado
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

Hi everyone,

I want to start by saying I am mostly looking for school list critiques/modifications. I've found that it isn't very helpful for me to get too caught up in my "odds" of getting in. With that said, I know that being realistic with my school list is important and I am appreciative of any constructive feedback. I heavily favor an MD school, so I will not be applying to DO schools this round. If I don't get in this cycle I will reapply next year with a mix of MD/DO.

UC Davis*
UC San Francisco
UC San Diego
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (only if you're from the Inland Empire)
UC Los Angeles*
Tulane University*
New York Medical College*
Albany Medical College*
Georgetown University
George Washington University
University of Miami
Boston University
University of Pittsburgh
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University*
Mayo Clinic
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Eastern Virginia Medical School*
Wake Forest University
Tufts University*
Dartmouth University
Drexel University*
Temple University (Maybe)
Loyola University Chicago Stritch*
University of Vermont*
Quinnipiac University Frank H. Netter SOM*
Oakland University William Beaumont
Western Michigan University
Medical College of Wisconsin*
Saint Louis University
Creighton University
Nova Southeastern University*
Nice reinvention, but you realistically need DO schools on the list. Why throw away a year of attending's salary if you get ono MD offers this cycle? Beggars can't be choosy.

ADD:
All Touros except MT
Both Westerns
AZCOM
UIW
DMU
PacNW
PCOM
Sam Houston State
CUSOM
all VCOMs except LA
LECOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)

Reactions: 1 user
Nice reinvention, but you realistically need DO schools on the list. Why throw away a year of attending's salary if you get ono MD offers this cycle? Beggars can't be choosy.

ADD:
All Touros except MT
Both Westerns
AZCOM
UIW
DMU
PacNW
PCOM
Sam Houston State
CUSOM
all VCOMs except LA
LECOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)

Thank you for your response. I am full-board set on MD, because I don’t want to limit my ability to match competitive specialties in the future. To me this is worth the loss of one or multiple years as an attending if necessary.

I am applying this cycle while also doing everything I can to improve my application for next year. I think pursuing research would be the best thing for my application. I have taken so many units that changing my overall GPA is unrealistic. @Goro is there anything else you would recommend to improve my application further in the next year and a half?

• Okay...
Have you considered DO schools? Why/not?

As you know, UC schools like to pick applicants who grew up near their campus region and especially those from underresourced backgrounds. I'm guessing you have investigated your eligibility in the UC Postbac Consortium.

Have you been able to reach out to the schools with asterisks? Many of your schools seem out of reach because they don't take many OOS candidates; those they do will have much higher GPAs.
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Loyola expects many more non clinical volunteering hours than you have. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Boston University
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Belmont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
TCU
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Colorado
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Thank you to both of you for your responses and the additional schools. I am adding several from your list @Faha.

I hear you and @Mr.Smile12 both on your advice to remove public state schools that accept few non-residents. My thought is that there is no harm in trying for these, but are there any in particular that stick out as very very unlikely? I am mostly interested in adding to this list. Are there any MD schools I am missing that I should add to my list?

I am dead-set on MD at this point, because I don’t want to limit my match opportunities for competitive specialties in the future. I am aware this may mean applying for multiple cycles. Do you have any advice on what to work on over the next year and a half to improve my application? I have taken enough units that improving my GPA is unrealistic, but if there is anything else that can help make my application shine, please let me know.

I hear you and @Mr.Smile12 both on your advice to remove public state schools that accept few non-residents. My thought is that there is no harm in trying for these, but are there any in particular that stick out as very very unlikely? I am mostly interested in adding to this list. Are there any MD schools I am missing that I should add to my list?
We give you probabilities so you can apply for 100 schools if you have the money and time to write secondaries. And the emotional resilience.

Thank you to both of you for your responses and the additional schools. I am adding several from your list @Faha.

I am dead-set on MD at this point, because I don’t want to limit my match opportunities for competitive specialties in the future. I am aware this may mean applying for multiple cycles. Do you have any advice on what to work on over the next year and a half to improve my application? I have taken enough units that improving my GPA is unrealistic, but if there is anything else that can help make my application shine, please let me know.
U Washington admits less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest. New Mexico admits ~2 non residents each year. Many of the non residents admitted to state public schools attended undergraduate school in the state, are former residents, legacies, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your response. I am full-board set on MD, because I don’t want to limit my ability to match competitive specialties in the future. To me this is worth the loss of one or multiple years as an attending if necessary.

I am applying this cycle while also doing everything I can to improve my application for next year. I think pursuing research would be the best thing for my application. I have taken so many units that changing my overall GPA is unrealistic. @Goro is there anything else you would recommend to improve my application further in the next year and a half?
About the match stuff: You won't completely shut out your ability to match competitively in DO if you work hard...you can find more on match statistics on this website and others, but plenty of DOs match into the desirable specialties. Yes, the rates are not as high as MD, but it's not like you become an IMG in the eyes of PDs.

To put it another way: You can either apply DO now, and still be able to get in and going this year, or you can apply MD only this year, and then find yourself applying for DO again next year with no substantial difference.

About the match stuff: You won't completely shut out your ability to match competitively in DO if you work hard...you can find more on match statistics on this website and others, but plenty of DOs match into the desirable specialties. Yes, the rates are not as high as MD, but it's not like you become an IMG in the eyes of PDs.

To put it another way: You can either apply DO now, and still be able to get in and going this year, or you can apply MD only this year, and then find yourself applying for DO again next year with no substantial difference.
That is fair, I know it seems foolish not to at least apply DO this time. I have to admit I was a little surprised to get the “eye roll” from Goro, though😂.
I am happy where I am at the moment (and so is my SO who I am supporting through her own career goals) and don't want to rush into DO now only to significantly lower my chances for specialties like dermatology, radiology, and ENT in the future in case I decide to pursue them. I recognize that DO does not rule out these specialties, but from what I gather my chances would be significantly hindered. And I can admit that I want the MD behind my name.

Either way, I am grateful for all the input I have gotten. My last question is what I can work on over the next year and a half to make my application stronger if I don’t get an acceptance this cycle. Could anyone weigh in on this?

Either way, I am grateful for all the input I have gotten. My last question is what I can work on over the next year and a half to make my application stronger if I don’t get an acceptance this cycle. Could anyone weigh in on this?
Getting a large amount of non-clinical volunteering in an area like a homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen etc. Many of the MD schools that reward reinvention value this highly. Research is unlikely to help if the more research-oriented schools end up passing on you this upcoming cycle. That'll indicate that they can't get past your grades despite the strong turnaround.

That is fair, I know it seems foolish not to at least apply DO this time. I have to admit I was a little surprised to get the “eye roll” from Goro, though😂.
I am happy where I am at the moment (and so is my SO who I am supporting through her own career goals) and don't want to rush into DO now only to significantly lower my chances for specialties like dermatology, radiology, and ENT in the future in case I decide to pursue them. I recognize that DO does not rule out these specialties, but from what I gather my chances would be significantly hindered. And I can admit that I want the MD behind my name.

Your high MCAT essentially makes your GPA a non-issue and you will certainly get MD school attention. You have a significant amount of clinical hours. If you are truly set on MD, addressing the gap in research would not be a bad idea because that is a deficiency in your app that might cause schools to pass over you, especially MD schools that see research as essentially a prerequisite. Your reason for not going DO is valid, but you should also research other reasons why DO school might not be for you (educational philosophy, lack of established rotation sites at newer schools, etc.) instead of ruling it out entirely because you feel it would rule out competitive specialties - which, on average, is a gap that is narrowing each year. Also, once you’re done with your AMCAS app, it is less than a day’s work to convert everything to AACOMAS. Worse case scenario you get DO and MD interviews at the same time…