This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @SmokeyBear_is_my_dad for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Yale Secondary Prompts

If you are not currently in college, what are your plans for this year?

Required Essay 1 (Please limit your response to 500 words):

Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

Essay 2 (Please limit your response to 500 words):
MD applicants:
Please answer either one of the following questions
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills, and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.
Essay 3 (Please limit your response to 500 words):
This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. Please limit your response to 500 words.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Yale School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
"Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine."

if i have multiple research interests/experiences spanning science, public health, and the humanities, would it be appropriate to talk about 2-3 here, or is this prompt asking for a more focused statement?

for current yale med students, i am also wondering if it is possible to be involved in multiple research projects/labs at once, or if this is just impossible

"Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine."

if i have multiple research interests/experiences spanning science, public health, and the humanities, would it be appropriate to talk about 2-3 here, or is this prompt asking for a more focused statement?

for current yale med students, i am also wondering if it is possible to be involved in multiple research projects/labs at once, or if this is just impossible
Yes it's possible to be involved in multiple research projects/groups at once here! You can definitely talk about having multiple research interests as well, but you should also be aware of sounding too scattered, even if you really do have a few interests. You can have things going on without having to talk about all of them

Members don't see this ad :)

Yale School of Medicine values diversity in all its forms. How will your background and experiences contribute to this important focus of our institution and inform your future role as a physician?

MD applicants:
MD/PhD applicants: Please answer question 2 as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.
  1. While there is great emphasis on the physician-patient relationship, Yale School of Medicine also emphasizes the importance of training future physicians to care for communities and populations. Describe how your experiences would contribute to this aspect of the mission of the Yale School of Medicine.
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills, and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.​

This section is optional. It should be used to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee any important information (personal, academic, or professional) not discussed in other sections of your Yale Secondary Application. Please limit your response to 500 words.

I believe these are all of them!

@wysdoc

Reactions: 3 users
Are people doing a why Yale essay for the optional one or leaving it blank (or including something that hasn't been talked about yet)? Since they cover gap year and diversity, I was going to do a why Yale essay, but the prompt makes it sound like it's more focused on us as applicants rather than why this school

Are people doing a why Yale essay for the optional one or leaving it blank (or including something that hasn't been talked about yet)? Since they cover gap year and diversity, I was going to do a why Yale essay, but the prompt makes it sound like it's more focused on us as applicants rather than why this school
Just don' write anything

For "Please list all courses taken online," should I list the courses that were half in person/half online (spring 2020)?

Reactions: 1 users
"If you are not currently in college, what are your plans for this year?" Are we to also do a snapshot-esque list for this like the activities and achievements on that page or actually write a paragraph?

Members don't see this ad :)
How far back are you going to the activities/achievements snapshots? Should I include any high school awards if they were major distinctions?

This may be a dumb question but are y'all listing hobbies as well in the activities?

For essay #2, how do you actually select which prompt you are answering? Or are they just going to tell based on your answer?

For essay #2, how do you actually select which prompt you are answering? Or are they just going to tell based on your answer?
Had the exact same question lol. Im assuming they'll be able to tell based on your answer.

Also are the LORs marked as incomplete for anyone else even though they have been received?

Last edited:
Had the exact same question lol. Im assuming they'll be able to tell based on your answer.

Also are the LORs marked as incomplete for anyone else even though they have been received?
Yes, mine are marked as incomplete even though they have been received

Everyone applying here (or anywhere really) be sure to check your spam folders. Found the secondary in the spam folder.

OOS Secondary received 7/13, submitted 7/13 at 6pm, marked as complete 7/14 at 2am lol

My letters are now marked as complete for Yale

I was going to but it really doesn't seem to fit the prompt.
Same, I used this space to elaborate on my financial struggles and explain that I worked while going to school and the impact that had on me.

It should be a very dumb question. Listing activities in reverse chronological order (most recent first). Do I have to list them based on the starting or ending date? I started some activities around 2021, and the expected completion date would be 2024. And some activities I started in 2023-2023.

Required prompt 1 is on your personal "distance traveled."
Prompt 2a is on understanding and promoting inclusive service learning.
Prompt 2b is on identifying resources/departments/institutes to address interesting research topics you wish to pursue.

It should be a very dumb question. Listing activities in reverse chronological order (most recent first). Do I have to list them based on the starting or ending date? I started some activities around 2021, and the expected completion date would be 2024. And some activities I started in 2023-2023.
I always do starting date

Based on Yale's example, they sorted by ending date, not starting date. However, I don't think they would hold it against you if you did either way

For the achievements/distinctions section, monetary merit-based scholarships/awards/research grants from college would count, right?

Required prompt 1 is on your personal "distance traveled."
Prompt 2a is on understanding and promoting inclusive service learning.
Prompt 2b is on identifying resources/departments/institutes to address interesting research topics you wish to pursue.
Did they really change all of their prompts from last year o_O

What is the length of the gap year question?

MD applicants:
  2. Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills, and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine.​

I believe these are all of them!

@wysdoc
What is the length of the gap year question?

Would a copy-paste COVID essay be fine for the Yale optional essay? Founded a cool service and had my first direct patient care experience during COVID so it's somewhat meaningful.

"If you are not currently in college, what are your plans for this year?" Are we to also do a snapshot-esque list for this like the activities and achievements on that page or actually write a paragraph?
Also wondering this.. the way this page is set up is confusing. It feels like this question should not be on the "activities and achievements page." I am thinking about doing a typical gap year essay because otherwise, it would be the exact same thing as what will be listed in the "Activities" box.. like there would be no point is asking for bullet pointed gap year activities separately, right?

Also wondering this.. the way this page is set up is confusing. It feels like this question should not be on the "activities and achievements page." I am thinking about doing a typical gap year essay because otherwise, it would be the exact same thing as what will be listed in the "Activities" box.. like there would be no point is asking for bullet pointed gap year activities separately, right?
I actually emailed them about this! They said, "The decision is personal preference; all information provided will be reviewed with your application." So I ended up doing my normal gap year essay.

Does Yale send out secondaries to everyone who applies?

Anyone who received a secondary after the 13th (it seems like that's when they sent it to pretty much everyone), when were you verified? I just added Yale to my list of schools last week, but I haven't gotten a secondary yet and I thought they sent it to everyone... Not sure if it just didn't get to them yet, or if they won't send me one at all

my yale secondary was the only one of mine that got sent to my spam box so look there!
Anyone who received a secondary after the 13th (it seems like that's when they sent it to pretty much everyone), when were you verified? I just added Yale to my list of schools last week, but I haven't gotten a secondary yet and I thought they sent it to everyone... Not sure if it just didn't get to them yet, or if they won't send me one at all

I actually emailed them about this! They said, "The decision is personal preference; all information provided will be reviewed with your application." So I ended up doing my normal gap year essay.
thanks!! how long of a gap year essay did you do? I'm thinking that I don't want to do too long since it doesn't seem to be an official essay

did people include months for the activities 'snapshot' section? I was going to but their example only has years

Would anyone be willing to share the character/word limit for the "If you are not currently in college, what are your plans for this year?" question?

When it asks us to list the courses taken online, is it referring only to pre-reqs, or to non BCPM classes as well?

When it asks us to list the courses taken online, is it referring only to pre-reqs, or to non BCPM classes as well?
I put all the courses that I took online due to COVID and noted that with a star. I did all classes, not just BCPM.

Submitted 6/23, Verified 7/30, received secondary today 8/1

II received!! Complete 7/19, LM 79

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users