2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Merry Christmas to all! May Santa leave you a prematch under the tree!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
my minds mixing info from all different schools now lol someone remind me does McG have rotations only in med center or do they send some students to do away rotations
Medical center has every area of the needed rotations but I believe some have done required rotations that are not in medical center (10 mile radius?).

Reactions: 1 user
does McGovern tend to award a lot of scholarships or no?
No med schools award "a lot" of scholarships in comparison to colleges.
If you have an acceptance to a school, sending an email to their financial aid office asking if there are scholarships you can apply for may get you some information, worth an inquiry

Members don't see this ad :)
do y'all think that there are no more ii that will be sent out?
I don’t think so either because this school only has 3 interview dates left in the season. I saw this when I scheduled mine earlier in the season. I did see Texas Tech El Paso extended some invites earlier this week, but McGovern only has 3 left based on my notes from earlier (unless they somehow added more then I can’t see that) in the season so it’s unlikely I would think.

What should I wear for the second look tour? Email said dress casual, but I'm not exactly sure what that means for a med school tour.

hey all! quick question if anyone is willing to share :) for those who interviewed/prematched, did you have lower than average GPAs (i'm talking 3.5 range, 3.4sgpa ranges). I would love to hear your mcat scores/any stories that you think really helped you. need some motivation for a reapp and feeling kind of dejected! thanks all in advance!

Last edited:
What should I wear for the second look tour? Email said dress casual, but I'm not exactly sure what that means for a med school tour.
Check the weather and dress warm and/or for rain if its this week.

Business casual means no jeans, joggers etc. Dress slacks and a collared shirt are usually appropriate business casual.

Hey gang, does McGovern do In-House or NBME exams? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw someone talking about this in the a&m thread but is McGovern prematch heavy or match heavy because I feel like I've been hearing so many different things LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For current students: Does mcgovern have internal ranking? And if so is it based on clerkship grades only or both preclerkships and clerkships? Thanks!

Saw someone talking about this in the a&m thread but is McGovern prematch heavy or match heavy because I feel like I've been hearing so many different things LOL
I meant match heavy as in “match day” not “prematch” heavy 😂 mb on the weird word usage there LOL

JUST GOT THE POST-INTERVIEW PANEL EMAIL AND ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK

Dawg. They sent the panel email… then sent another panel email. Bruhhhhhhh.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Dawg. They sent the panel email… then sent another panel email. Bruhhhhhhh.
I know the student panels may be helpful and all, but I'm begging med schools to just leave me alone until match day if you aren't gonna send an offer lol :rofl:

• Haha
Anyone know if this school has formals and other events with their class? :)

How much dedicated step 1 study time is built into the curriculum? Having a tough time understanding that by looking at the curriculum video.

Anyone know if this school has formals and other events with their class? :)
When I went to the second look tour, socials were mentioned several times. I also have friends at Baylor and they said that the two schools also do combined social events sometimes.

Do y'all know if there are any movements to change to true P/F for pre-clinicals?

How much dedicated step 1 study time is built into the curriculum? Having a tough time understanding that by looking at the curriculum video.
6 weeks for step 1 and can have 1 month for step 2 per MS4 panel today

For current students: Does mcgovern have internal ranking? And if so is it based on clerkship grades only or both preclerkships and clerkships? Thanks!
Someone asked this today on MS4 panel. No internal ranking. Have AOA which is top 15% and looks at all honors grades up to year 3.

“There will be some more pre-matches before match day but we are being very selective about pre-matches this cycle.” - dean of admissions at tour today

Reactions: 9 users
“There will be some more pre-matches before match day but we are being very selective about pre-matches this cycle.” - dean of admissions at tour today
Can confirm. Was at the tour today lol.

They also said you can send in LOIs and updates but they don’t affect the rank list now.

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know the real reason why a school might be so incredibly selective about prematches? Does it really affect anything? Literally asking because I have no clue. Thank you!

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know the real reason why a school might be so incredibly selective about prematches? Does it really affect anything? Literally asking because I have no clue. Thank you!
Each school can run their own strategy for admissions, don’t get too deep in the weeds thinking about the whys.

Reactions: 2 users
UT McGovern's phiosophy is that they want the students to be in love with them. How they determine that, only they know.

As far as I could make out their process - they give prematches to people who they think mostly will rank them 1.
Rest they rank in the order of preference and see if they truly want to come to UT Houston during the match. This is because many they might like also get prematches elsewhere and those with prematches have to deliberately select UTH #1 to match there assuming UTH also ranked them high enough.

OTOH, @wysdoc's advice above works well to keep your sanity. :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
UT McGovern's phiosophy is that they want the students to be in love with them. How they determine that, only they know.

As far as I could make out their process - they give prematches to people who they think mostly will rank them 1.
Rest they rank in the order of preference and see if they truly want to come to UT Houston during the match. This is because many they might like also get prematches elsewhere and those with prematches have to deliberately select UTH #1 to match there assuming UTH also ranked them high enough.

OTOH, @wysdoc's advice above works well to keep your sanity. :)
Well a potential matriculant doesn't have to rank them #1, although they do have to rank them above a pre-match.

E.g. 1. UTMB 2. Texas Tech 3. Baylor 4. McGovern 5. Long (pre-match) 6. UTRGV (pre-match) w/ a match result of McGovern is entirely possible. As far as I know, that would give the same result as: 1. McGovern 2. Long (pre-match) 3. UTRGV (pre-match) - if that matriculant didn't match to UTMB/Tech/BCM obviously. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will say though that recommending pre-meds not to stress (about the process that will determine the course of our entire lives) is pretty funny ngl :rofl:

• Love
Well a potential matriculant doesn't have to rank them #1, although they do have to rank them above a pre-match.

E.g. 1. UTMB 2. Texas Tech 3. Baylor 4. McGovern 5. Long (pre-match) 6. UTRGV (pre-match) w/ a match result of McGovern is entirely possible. As far as I know, that would give the same result as: 1. McGovern 2. Long (pre-match) 3. UTRGV (pre-match) - if that matriculant didn't match to UTMB/Tech/BCM obviously. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will say though that recommending pre-meds not to stress (about the process that will determine the course of our entire lives) is pretty funny ngl :rofl:
You are right with your hypothetical list but ranking McGovern #4 isn't much of a ringing statement of interest!

You are right with your hypothetical list but ranking McGovern #4 isn't much of a ringing statement of interest!
I don't get your point about a ringing statement of interest.

Are schools able to see your rank list? From everything I've seen, you are supposed to make your rank list your "true preference order" with no way to "cheat" the system. I've always taken that to mean you wouldn't be punished for ranking a school lower, i.e. ranking a school lower wouldn't have any impact on your chances of matching to that school, given you don't match to a school higher on your list.

Is this incorrect, or are you just saying in general ranking a school 4th means you're not interested in going there? Because I'd have to disagree with you there too.

Last edited:
I don't get your point about a ringing statement of interest.

Are schools able to see your rank list? From everything I've seen, you are supposed to make your rank list your "true preference order" with no way to "cheat" the system. I've always taken that to mean you wouldn't be punished for ranking a school lower, i.e. ranking a school lower wouldn't have any impact on your chances of matching to that school, given you don't match to a school higher on your list.

Is this incorrect, or are you just saying in general ranking a school 4th means you're not interested in going there? Because I'd have to disagree with you there too.
You are reading an awful lot into my comment.
To clarify:
-Schools don’t see your rank list
-a school where you match will not know whether you ranked them 1,2,3, or 7.

Answer me this, though: If you ended up matching to a school you ranked low, would you celebrate or whine?

You are reading an awful lot into my comment.

I don't think so, just trying to understand your statement and provide discussion for the benefit of everyone in this stressful process, myself included. :)

To clarify:
-Schools don’t see your rank list
-a school where you match will not know whether you ranked them 1,2,3, or 7.

Thanks for the info! That was my understanding.

Answer me this, though: If you ended up matching to a school you ranked low, would you celebrate or whine?

I'm in a very similar scenario to the hypothetical and I can say that I would be ecstatic to match to any of the schools I rank 1-6/7, and happy to go to 7-8, otherwise I wouldn't rank them. I do have to say though, this comment (and others) comes across as very condescending. I think we should strive to be encouraging and inclusive on SDN, not imply that applicants are prone to "whining," not tell applicants to "just stop stressing," and in general be more compassionate and welcoming - I think that would be much more productive.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

What you are providing is a list of schools. They are targeting you during match and if you rank them 5 and have 4 other schools ahead of them you are probably not going to make it there. You will most likely match at UTMB before you can worry about McGovern and they are not looking for you.

They are expecting to lose a race with Baylor and UTSW in most cases but not to any other school in Texas.

I don't think so, just trying to understand your statement and provide discussion for the benefit of everyone in this stressful process, myself included. :)

Thanks for the info! That was my understanding.

I'm in a very similar scenario to the hypothetical and I can say that I would be ecstatic to match to any of the schools I rank 1-6/7, and happy to go to 7-8, otherwise I wouldn't rank them. I do have to say though, this comment (and others) comes across as very condescending. I think we should strive to be encouraging and inclusive on SDN, not imply that applicants are prone to "whining," not tell applicants to "just stop stressing," and in general be more compassionate and welcoming - I think that would be much more productive.
You are right @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC I asked a very simple question in a very obnoxious way.
"would you celebrate, or not?" would have been better.

You have had a lot of success in being able to interview at so many schools, so I wish you the best in ending up at a school where you will thrive.

You are right @IJUSTWANTOPARTYDOC I asked a very simple question in a very obnoxious way.
"would you celebrate, or not?" would have been better.

You have had a lot of success in being able to interview at so many schools, so I wish you the best in ending up at a school where you will thrive.
I appreciate it!

any guesses on when they plan to release last round of prematches
Rank lists are due next Friday, surely no later than next Monday (1/29) to give students time to take their new acceptance into consideration for their rank lists right..? But that's assuming another wave actually comes out.

safe to assume no more II here? hadn’t seen any emails from McGovern announcing pre II Rs like some of the other TX schools have (but i guess they don’t have to send those)

yeah true… people at the most recent tour said the dean said there would be another wave, guess we will see
I was at the most recent tour and they did not explicitly say there would be another wave, just that it’s possible prematches can be sent out until that Jan 31st date. Obviously it would be great if there were more but I wanted to make it clear they did not confirm another wave

safe to assume no more II here? hadn’t seen any emails from McGovern announcing pre II Rs like some of the other TX schools have (but i guess they don’t have to send those)
It is 12 days to match submission. Any pending IIs should have been issued by now.