2023-2024 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who did an on-campus interview, did you walk around a lot? I am debating if I should bring a change of shoes.

Reactions: 1 user
^ how does the on-campus interview go? what's the schedule like etc

Primary verified 8/31/2023, secondary received on 9/7! Excited!!

For anyone who did an on-campus interview, did you walk around a lot? I am debating if I should bring a change of shoes.
Most of it will be in 1 building, but there is a tour of the campus (lasts about 30mins) before dinner. Itā€™s a small campus but couldnā€™t hurt to bring a change of shoes if it would make you more comfortable!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ok, maybe this is a little naiive, but after it says "verified" on AACOMAS, is that when you're being considered for secondaries or is there another step like idk "transmitted" or something before your primary is completed and should then be expecting a secondary?

ok, maybe this is a little naiive, but after it says "verified" on AACOMAS, is that when you're being considered for secondaries or is there another step like idk "transmitted" or something before your primary is completed and should then be expecting a secondary?
Once youā€™re verified, your app is transmitted! No other steps I believe :)

just now seeing that you got in...how long after your primary on AACOMAS did you recieve a secondary from UIW?

Just realized I posted the wrong school.

UIWSOM got back to me in 3 days after submitting my primary in the first week of June!

Last edited:
Hi! Any current medical students from UIWSOM on this thread? I would love to PM you with questions about being a student (nothing about interviews or inappropriate info). Anyone pls PM me if you see this and can spare a few mins. Thanks so much! It would mean a lot!

Hi! Any current medical students from UIWSOM on this thread? I would love to PM you with questions about being a student (nothing about interviews or inappropriate info). Anyone pls PM me if you see this and can spare a few mins. Thanks so much! It would mean a lot!
They have an info session today at 6pm that current students should be attending! Check out their website to signup

Edit: 6pm central for any out of state friends

Last edited:
I'm sure this question's answer is somewhere on the internet, but does anyone know how much the deposit is for UIWSOM if accepted?

For those who have interviewed already - is attendance for the Deanā€™s presentation required? I signed up for Virtual Interview 2 which is scheduled for 3PM, but I received an email saying that the presentation is at 11AM that same day.

For those who have interviewed already - is attendance for the Deanā€™s presentation required? I signed up for Virtual Interview 2 which is scheduled for 3PM, but I received an email saying that the presentation is at 11AM that same day.
Yes but you might be able to log out after it and log back in for the interview. Ask.

Yes but you might be able to log out after it and log back in for the interview. Ask.
Yes lots of logging out and logging back in for this interview haha. I think the student panel is at 6pm.

Yes lots of logging out and logging back in for this interview haha. I think the student panel is at 6pm.
So itā€™s basically an all day thing even though my interview is at 3PM? I thought the interview day started at 3PM lol

Accepted via email yesterday night!! I'm ecstatic, I interviewed on 09/11

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Any interview tips? I interview in a couple days and I'm a bit nervous! I havent done an mmi before. Is there role-playing?

Any interview tips? I interview in a couple days and I'm a bit nervous! I havent done an mmi before. Is there role-playing?
Honestly its pretty chill. Unfortunately bc of the NDA, I can't share any specifics, but I would recommend googling MMI questions, I used the 250 questions on the savvy premed to practice. Also practice up answering the general questions that every school would ask too. You will be fine.

Screenshot%202023-09-20%20at%206.31.56%20PM.jpeg
Match list for 2023. Not sure if it was posted somewhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who got an interview how long did it take to hear back?

On their email it says three weeks. Those who interviewed 09/11 received their acceptance letters last week (~3 weeks). I interviewed 09/15, so I imagine I will hear back from them this week with a decision I hope this helps!

1. Exams are moving towards multiple choice and more ā€œboard styleā€ questions
  2. Switching from Kaplan to combank(I believe thatā€™s what it was)
  3. Mandatory class is done by 12pm (I think this was always the case
  4. always gathering student feedback and trying to improve
Just some of my favorite things from the information session. Faculty were all so sweet and welcoming!
Hi ! I was wondering if you knew more about the exams moving towards MC / board-style questions. I know they previously have been essay-style questions. Do you know if they've completely transitioned over to MC entirely or are the exams still partly essay-based?

Hi ! I was wondering if you knew more about the exams moving towards MC / board-style questions. I know they previously have been essay-style questions. Do you know if they've completely transitioned over to MC entirely or are the exams still partly essay-based?
They are currently 2/3 short answer, 1/3 MC

Ya Iā€™ve been hearing mixed opinions from students on the exams. Most seem to not like short answer.

@taylorl1996 do you mind sharing your thoughts on it?

I think thereā€™s pros/cons to them, like any test. In my opinion, biggest pro when it comes to short answer is it better prepares you for clinical rotations in year 3/4. Also, it allows you to get partial credit for questions instead of automatically getting it right/wrong. Con would be that itā€™s not the best practice for learning how to answer questions for the Boards (multiple choice questions are). However, I think our Dean is doing a great job at making sure that we see both styles of questions now.

Reactions: 2 users
I think thereā€™s pros/cons to them, like any test. In my opinion, biggest pro when it comes to short answer is it better prepares you for clinical rotations in year 3/4. Also, it allows you to get partial credit for questions instead of automatically getting it right/wrong. Con would be that itā€™s not the best practice for learning how to answer questions for the Boards (multiple choice questions are). However, I think our Dean is doing a great job at making sure that we see both styles of questions now.
Thanks for sharing! Hearing lots of love for the new deanšŸ„³