2023-2024 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should I be concerned that I haven't been invited to complete a secondary yet? I received an email on 7/28 that my application is under review, but no updates since then

Members don't see this ad.

Should I be concerned that I haven't been invited to complete a secondary yet? I received an email on 7/28 that my application is under review, but no updates since then
No, don't worry. Remember the DO timeline is later in general than the MD timeline, and getting that first email reassures you that your application was complete.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I just got a Pre-II WL email.
I got that one too.

Just out of curiosity, can people get the pre-II rejection email at this point? I’ve seen it before, but mine came near the end of the cycle.

Received interview invite yesterday 10 pm est!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else ONLY able to get an in-person interview in mid September?
There were several virtual dates available though.

Interview withdrawn. I hope it goes to one of you!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if they are planning to add more interview days? I only see two on my end and both schedule spots are in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
They fill closer days first and add more as those slots fill.
Since you’re around, is it possible to get called for an later interview, despite completing the secondary early on?

I completed it in late June.

Since you’re around, is it possible to get called for an later interview, despite completing the secondary early on?

I completed it in late June.
They have typically had a long interview season with interviews as late as April

Reactions: 1 user
They have typically had a long interview season with interviews as late as April
Okay!

...so there is a chance...hopefully. I was WLed for an interview last time and then booted the following March.

I got an email saying my application was received on 7/28 and today I just got the exact same email saying my application was received. I haven't been invited for a secondary yet. They said in the email it would take up to 4 weeks to decide... this happen to anyone else?
Yeah, they say it can take up to 4 weeks. It might take longer. There's like dozens of applications.

• Haha
Yeah, they say it can take up to 4 weeks. It might take longer. There's like dozens of applications.
My email said it would take 8 - 12 weeks. They also told me that they are adding interview dates as they are getting through the application.

I've heard this school does a thorough review before giving out secondaries. Is this true?

I've heard this school does a thorough review before giving out secondaries. Is this true?
That…I don’t know. I hope so, but all we know is that they do check secondaries. That would mean that not everyone gets one.

If anybody has more info about how Incarnate Word chooses candidates, I’ll love to hear about it too.

Per their presentation this morning, lots of awesome changes happening at this school to help improve the overall student experience!!

Per their presentation this morning, lots of awesome changes happening at this school to help improve the overall student experience!!
  1. Exams are moving towards multiple choice and more “board style” questions
  2. Switching from Kaplan to combank(I believe that’s what it was)
  3. Mandatory class is done by 12pm (I think this was always the case
  4. always gathering student feedback and trying to improve
Just some of my favorite things from the information session. Faculty were all so sweet and welcoming!

Reactions: 4 users
At least a dozen!
I know, it's so nerve-racking!
Kristen Wiig Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

That…I don’t know. I hope so, but all we know is that they do check secondaries. That would mean that not everyone gets one.

If anybody has more info about how Incarnate Word chooses candidates, I’ll love to hear about it too.
The dean just mentioned that today at the Virtual Expo I'm at, he's really caring about making sure everyone gets a fair thorough chance. I like that.

Hey I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but there's a choose do expo and they have a student panel and the dean was presenting earlier today.

The dean just mentioned that today at the Virtual Expo I'm at, he's really caring about making sure everyone gets a fair thorough chance. I like that.
Man…I guess I missed an important event. I would love to get into UIWSOM, though I haven’t received a peep yet.

Did he mention how meticulous the check is…or is it pretty liberal overall? My record is definitely pretty colorful, so I wonder if they saw everything before making a decision.

Man…I guess I missed an important event. I would love to get into UIWSOM, though I haven’t received a peep yet.

Did he mention how meticulous the check is…or is it pretty liberal overall? My record is definitely pretty colorful, so I wonder if they saw everything before making a decision.
This event is a general DO virtual fair and lots of schools participate. If you're not busy go tune in!

He said it's pretty meticulous and overall they have to seriously consider not only if you can be a good doctor, but if you can also perform as a student.He said he wants to make sure you can handle the curriculum because he hates having to dismiss a student, it breaks his heart, He said he did it one time when he got here last year and there was a student who was enrolled before he was the dean and they were given too many chances to improve, but this student wasn't performing well and he had to dismiss them as the new dean. He said it sucked but that's why he's making a lot of changes to the school, to prevent having to dismiss a student like that again and make sure the curriculum helps the students. He talked about multiple choice and some other things he's already put into effect this year too.

He said it's pretty meticulous and overall they have to seriously consider not only if you can be a good doctor, but if you can also perform as a student.He said he wants to make sure you can handle the curriculum because he hates having to dismiss a student, it breaks his heart, He said he did it one time when he got here last year and there was a student who was enrolled before he was the dean and they were given too many chances to improve, but this student wasn't performing well and he had to dismiss them as the new dean. He said it sucked but that's why he's making a lot of changes to the school, to prevent having to dismiss a student like that again and make sure the curriculum helps the students. He talked about multiple choice and some other things he's already put into effect this year too.
Ya from the orientation presentation on interview day, I really got the impression this dean is genuinely trying his best for his students. He was very refreshingly candid.

Ya from the orientation presentation on interview day, I really got the impression this dean is genuinely trying his best for his students. He was very refreshingly candid.
I like how honest he is, he's a very transparent and down-to-earth kind of guy. I hope I can meet him when I interview, I'm not done with my classes yet and I'm still debating whether to take a break or not!

That is quite fair. In that case, I'm hoping that there is a good chance that a secondary from UIW can turn into a II. It is wonderful that he seems to care a lot for the student's well-being because getting academically dismissed is just a punch in the gut.

Has anyone done their interview yet? If so, how did the writing portion go?

• Hmm
The post interview survey email coming a week after the interview gave me a heart attack 😭

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone here a current student or anyone applying who knows a lot about this school? I have an interview in a couple of weeks and would love to hear some personal feedback about the school

Accepted just now via phone call!! What a surreal feeling 🥹

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users