2023-2024 number of applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1093615

I know this has been talked about before. Many posters have said application numbers are down for This upcoming class of 2027 cycle. Does anyone have concrete numbers or a way to view how many applicants there are? The aacpm website only shows numbers through 2021 and in 2021 it was 910.

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it matter? Be glad numbers are going down.

Reactions: 1 users
910 is a lot considering everyone with a pulse gets accepted

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
applications will rise now that cutswithfury is banned unfortunately. we need to bring him back
His spirit lives on. It has infected the entire herd.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Per Dough Richie we had 716 applicants for 2022.

Reactions: 2 users
From the bureau of labor statistics, last updated Sept 2022:

1673010797332.png

Good news! As long as we can recruit at least 300 students per year, Americans will not need to worry about a shortage of podiatrists!

I can confidently say that the podiatry community has the best sarcastic talents in SDN.

Reactions: 3 users
From the bureau of labor statistics, last updated Sept 2022:

View attachment 364370

Good news! As long as we can recruit at least 300 students per year, Americans will not need to worry about a shortage of podiatrists!
Assuming these boomer old mustache pods will actually know when to retire rather than milk the associate train until they’re 85 while retaining ownership and calling themselves a “clinician emeritus” or some ****.

Assuming these boomer old mustache pods will actually know when to retire rather than milk the associate train until they’re 85 while retaining ownership and calling themselves a “clinician emeritus” or some ****.
Or even better... they become "consult distributors".
We have this one local pod that refuses to retire and insists on taking all the free calls at this one hospital, yet he often said he's slammed or too tired and then call other DPMs to see these patients. But he wanted all consults to go to him initially. At one time he called me to do a TMA for him while he's gone for Xmas.
That's just plain f***ed up. I blocked his number.

• Haha
I can confidently say that the podiatry community has the best sarcastic talents in SDN.
We are just average Janes and Joes. We are fortunate that podiatry gives us the tools and materials to succeed as Meme Lords.

We are just average Janes and Joes. We are fortunate that podiatry gives us the tools and materials to succeed as Meme Lords.
As a podiatrist, the most important thing I can do after helping my patients is save 200-300 pre-pods from podiatry. Lumps and bumps all day. Memes all night. That's what it takes.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
As a podiatrist, the most important thing I can do after helping my patients is save 200-300 pre-pods from podiatry. Lumps and bumps all day. Memes all night. That's what it takes.
True. I decline job shadowing requests, and reply to their emails writing why they shouldn't pick podiatry.

• Haha
True. I decline job shadowing requests, and reply to their emails writing why they shouldn't pick podiatry.
I feel like you could have more impact in person vs emails.

I feel like you could have more impact in person vs emails.
Tell them you are going to review some historic great cases and then just bring them to the meme thread and overexplain every meme.

I try to create an experience for shadowing students since my hope is they will be some sort of doctor in the future and I want them to see what we can do. I always offer to write a letter for them upfront since I know the process sucks. I show them a picture set of good cases, pull x-rays, talk through why each patient is there and what we can do for them outside the room etc. That said, I've never had a student ask me for the letter after shadowing. I discuss salary in cautious but fair terms. I actually had a student come on a day where literally it was just old ladies bitching about bunions and hammertoes but refusing any treatment / any surgery. I never raised my voice or said an unkind word. Afterwards the student told me my patients were "extremely bitchy". The day after I had a ton of post-ops who were all extremely satisfied. I thought - well, I wish he could be here for this but yesterday was likely enlightening. Because of my location there should be no shortage of shadowing students but I've seen fewer than 5 students shadow in the past 3 years. I volunteered for the APMA/whatever website forever ago.

Reactions: 5 users