Meme of the Year 2023: Final Round

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which is the best meme of 2023?

• 1. We Don't Just Trim Toenails

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • 2. Samuel Merritt 69ers

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • 3. Pot Smoking Liar

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 4. Logging an Ankle Scope

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Adam Smasher

APMA Seal of Approval
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've made it to the Finals! Who will emerge champion of 2023? All four finalists were posted by different contributors, none of them were mine.

05wedontjusttrimnails.png

08Niners.png

13PotSmokingLiar.png

15LoggingAnkleScope.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 05wedontjusttrimnails.png
    05wedontjusttrimnails.png
    855.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 08Niners.png
    08Niners.png
    321.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know what was initially written on the poster that the Kent podiatry student was holding?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what was initially written on the poster that the Kent podiatry student was holding?
It said 'NO we don't JUST clip toenails.'

ksucpm toenails.jpg

...definitely not the most memorable protest/demonstration in American history at Kent St, but hey. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are a few hours left in the poll, but unless Dr DeHeer and friends want to swoop in and bloc vote, I am fine crowning "We Don't Just Trim Toenails" as the 2023 meme of the year. Congratulations @HardRoadPaved !

A few remarks, first on meming. What makes a good meme? It should be witty, concise, entertaining, irreverent, but most importantly incisive. The best memes are the sort of "the emperor has no clothes" insights that humorously shed light on absurdities everyone has gotten used to accepting/ignoring. Because of this, @air bud is right, podiatry truly is too easy of a target. I'm grateful to be in the company of such an elite group of memers!

"Pot Smoking Liar" was one we had a lot of fun with, so much so that it made it to the final round. Unfortunately, it was too topical to get the crown, the other contenders are more evergreen. However, it still illustrates the deeper truth that dinosaur DPMs in PM News who graduated from their 6 month residencies take themselves too seriously.

"Samuel Merritt 69ers" was an early favorite of mine. I laughed harder at this one than any other. Truly a testament to the reality of how our schools and our profession as a whole will sweep mediocrity under the rug while boasting of our own competence.

"Logging an Ankle Scope" was absolutely brilliant in its composition. At face value it illustrates the scammy way residents accumulate case logs. On a deeper level, encapsulates the saturation problem that we all face. There is simply not enough pathology for all the doctors in the picture.

The champion, "We Don't Just Trim Toenails" is a profound statement about how we all still carry the historical baggage we inherited from chiropody. Yeah school has become longer and more expensive. But on the demand side from patients and PCPs, we will always be seen as the go-to providers when toenails need cutting...and calluses too!

Again, thank you to all memers. Remember, they won't stop opening schools, but we won't stop meming!

Reactions: 1 user