2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was reading the attachment that WCUCOM sent with their secondary. Here are some things it said.

"After review of the primary application materials, competitive applicants will be selected to receive a secondary application to obtain additional information desired by the Admissions Committee. Not all applicants will be deemed competitive and receive a secondary application. The secondary application consists of a statement on how accepting the applicant will advance the mission of WCUCOM as well as attesting they can meet the Technical Standards for admission. There is no fee for the secondary application."

"Many studies have shown that science GPA is one of the best indicators of academic success in medical school. This average is calculated from the grades achieved in biological sciences, chemistry, and physics courses. In recent years a 3.5 or higher science GPA has been necessary for a competitive application."

"The scale for grading is 118-132 in each section with a score of 125 generally representing the 50th percentile. Total scores range from 472-528 with 501 being the approximate 50th percentile mark. A score of 504+ is generally required to receive a secondary application and be considered for admission. MCAT scores must be official and dated within three years from the date of application."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview Invite 7-13 and Interview on 7-25. Submitted secondary on 6-20

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did people get a conformation email regarding them saying that they received your secondary? I submitted mine on 7/7 and have not heard anything. Do they inform you of this and a possible II over email??

Did people get a conformation email regarding them saying that they received your secondary? I submitted mine on 7/7 and have not heard anything. Do they inform you of this and a possible II over email??

They emailed me to confirm both. However, I called to make sure my secondary was completed as I didn’t have an email after three days. About three days after I called I got an email saying it was complete. They manually go through and check them. Depending on how many people applied it may be backed up but if you sent it on on the 7th I would call sometime next week and check.

I just heard back from them and I submitted 07/04 if that gives you any idea.

I just got my Casper result. 1st quartile. I answered everything well and kept my answer neutral.
I Wonder how screwed I am.

Is it true that this school screens heavily before sending out secondaries? Also, how important is mission fit over stats?

Is it true that this school screens heavily before sending out secondaries? Also, how important is mission fit over stats?
Yes they do. I think mission fit is more important because my MCAT score is lower than their preferred MCAT score to receive a secondary and I still did aH.

Reactions: 2 users
I called their office today just to ask if they needed anything else from me. They said they’re swamped obviously so it takes time to hear back.

Regarding Casper, the lady on the phone said it’s required and if you’ve either signed up or completed Casper, it will show up on your app as completed. I guess they can see if we have signed up for Casper? It also makes me think that they really don’t even use Casper as an admissions tool, only as a checklist item.
Would that mean that you can be marked complete before getting your casper score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any IIs yet?
I thought I saw someone receive an II but I can't find that post anymore so maybe I made it up lol. But it may still be a couple days/weeks because the CASPer scores just got released from one of the earlier testing days so I'm assuming they may be waiting for those as well.

Anyone know how heavily they weigh CASPer? Anyone getting accepted with a 1st or 2nd quartile?

II 7/14, I replied that yes I did want to interview the same day. Still no response or confirmation.

Anyone know how heavily they weigh CASPer? Anyone getting accepted with a 1st or 2nd quartile?

Not accepted but I received an II with 2nd quartile and interview next Monday

Anyone submit their secondary in July and get an II yet?

Just found out I scored in the 2nd quartile on my casper. Any chance this will strongly influence my application?

Just found out I scored in the 2nd quartile on my casper. Any chance this will strongly influence my application?

I scored 2nd quartile and have an interview so take the casper score with a grain of salt

II today! Canadian applicant, MCAT 512, GPA 3.94, scGPA 3.95

Hey! What day did you submit your secondary?
I submitted it on June 17 but i didnt get the "complete and under review" till June 27. I also completed my casper on june 28th so idk if that delayed the review, but it doesnt seem they consider casper too much.

I heard the fourth years have to find rotations on their own? Idk how it goes for other med schools, but how do you feel about this?
Not true. I know 4th year students who did their entire 4th year at thier third year core site. I did several such subspecialty rotations at one our core sites my 4th year. I was not on my own and the coordinators helped me get those rotations

I haven't gotten one either. Although I have one II at another school so im using that to keep me sane through this process.
I do have a sub 3.0 overall GPA, 3.x Science GPA
Postbacc 3.7x at 108 units and a MCAT 51X retake.

Just received an II! My CASPer results were in July 14

Can anyone who was submitted on 7/7 or later post when they are sent an II?? I submitted everything on 7/7 and want to know if I was skipped over :(

Can anyone who was submitted on 7/7 or later post when they are sent an II?? I submitted everything on 7/7 and want to know if I was skipped over :(
I also submitted my secondary around that time. Recieved the complete email 10 days later. Nothing new yet. Take a deep breath, our apps are probably in the next stack :)

From the looks of it, they just began sending II's to those complete in July. Still too early to assume you've been skipped over. The fact you got a secondary is a relatively good sign from what I hear.

I was given an II but have another interview that same day. I emailed them back saying I would be available any day the week before or the week after that initial interview date. They emailed me back saying there are no open slots and that they will "keep me in mind". I hope I didn't completely ruin my chances :(

I was given an II but have another interview that same day. I emailed them back saying I would be available any day the week before or the week after that initial interview date. They emailed me back saying there are no open slots and that they will "keep me in mind". I hope I didn't completely ruin my chances :(
Im surprised they weren't more accommodating.

Reactions: 1 users
It just seems unprofessional to just give someone a random date and expect them to be available.
The school said I never submitted my science LOR and got the names of my professors completely wrong in the email. They ended up sending me an II though once I addressed their issue. Still gives me a sour taste though.