2022-2023 Washington State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So there have been no A/R's sent out at all at this point?
MD schools can't accept regular decision applicants until 10/15

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So there have been no A/R's sent out at all at this point?
According to last year’s thread, the first acceptance was reported on November 4th so I expect the first round of acceptances to be around the first week of November.

Reactions: 1 user
According to last year’s thread, the first acceptance was reported on November 4th so I expect the first round of acceptances to be around the first week of November.
I thought they said in their interview presentation that they would tell us in October ?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the application statistics provided on the WSU COM website for the entering class of 2022, 332 total interviews were conducted and dividing that by the total primary applications received of 1443, you get 23%. This means 77% of the total applicant pool would have been rejected before the interview stage. I expect to see similar numbers for this application cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get a post-interview email telling you acceptable, waitlist, rejection based on your score? Can't remember when they said they would send those out

Just got an II. Scheduled for January, hopefully doesn’t hurt my chances too much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II. Scheduled for January, hopefully doesn’t hurt my chances too much!
Congratulations on getting an interview invitation. According to the podcast that Dr. Harrison did a few years back, she made it clear that applicants that had a later interview date (I think the example she used was February), were not interviewing for a waitlist spot and that those candidates were interviewing for a spot in the class. I hope that this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who interviewed in September think we get decisions tomorrow/next week?

I’m still sitting in the where II boat. Hoping they are just a bit behind this year.

I’m still sitting in the where II boat. Hoping they are just a bit behind this year.
I sorta feel like all med schools are behind, maybe I am wrong though. Feels like I had way more Rs this time last year

Very likely. It doesn’t help that I’m neurotic and getting eaten alive by the waiting game.
When I interviewed earlier this month, I think they said something like they already had more than 1500 apps compared to last year (I believe it was less than 1400) so yeah I think they’re quite delayed.

But I agree. The waiting is not fun at all. Your time will come though!!!!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Oof, rejected post-interview. Interviewed 8/29. That one hurt

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Just got waitlisted, interviewed August 29th

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Email today with a status update: Was deemed “eligible” which is not an acceptance, but rather them just sharing that I’m still in the running for regular admission

The email says they start offering acceptances in Nov

I am sorry to hear that. Are you going to request an application review to get feedback on your application and how to improve on it?
No I'm a reapplicant and I already had one last year, I made all the changes they recommended though. Everything they told me last year was like related to my writing and they recommended I make certain tweaks just to answer the secondaries better. The only slight experience deficit I had was leadership, and I have gotten a ton of leadership since then because I was promoted at work

• Care
Does eligible mean that you will get an offer and that your ranked higher than people on the waitlist ?

No I'm a reapplicant and I already had one last year, I made all the changes they recommended though. Everything they told me last year was like related to my writing and they recommended I make certain tweaks just to answer the secondaries better. The only slight experience deficit I had was leadership, and I have gotten a ton of leadership since then because I was promoted at work
A waitlist is good. Remember last year WSU's catch rate was 1.66 so they technically sent out 132 A's

A waitlist is good. Remember last year WSU's catch rate was 1.66 so they technically sent out 132 A's
Yea it's not the worst, I just am still a bit traumatized from being considered from November to like August last cycle haha. It's like you wake up every day for ten months and just drag your feet

• Care
Does eligible mean that you will get an offer and that your ranked higher than people on the waitlist ?

Here is the language from the email:

“Eligible– eligible for an offer during the regular season

This does not mean you are guaranteed an offer in the regular season.
If you are not accepted during the regular season, you will move to the waitlist; there is no guarantee you will receive an offer from the waitlist. An offer from the waitlist is completely dependent on our overall yield.”

Yea it's not the worst, I just am still a bit traumatized from being considered from November to like August last cycle haha. It's like you wake up every day for ten months and just drag your feet
That’s brutal. I don’t know what to say to make it easier but your resilience is admirable and you will make it to become a great doc! Hope we all make it at the end of the day!

Reactions: 5 users
Here is the language from the email:

“Eligible– eligible for an offer during the regular season

This does not mean you are guaranteed an offer in the regular season.
If you are not accepted during the regular season, you will move to the waitlist; there is no guarantee you will receive an offer from the waitlist. An offer from the waitlist is completely dependent on our overall yield.”
What a confusing email! 😵‍💫

That’s brutal. I don’t know what to say to make it easier but your resilience is admirable and you will make it to become a great doc! Hope we all make it at the end of the day!
Thank you :')

• Care
What a confusing email!

Yeah I guess it’s like- they knew they were sending WLs and Rs today but weren’t ready for As yet…so they are just telling me I’m not WL or R, I guess

Reactions: 4 users
During the podcast that Dr. Harrison participated in a few years back, she mentioned that what WSU COM is looking for is right on their website and that she wants applicants to reflect as to what they got out of an experience. They don't want an application with just facts in it but one that includes reflection in it as that reflection is where maturity is demonstrated. Dr. Ryan Gray from the youtube channel Medical School HQ has a series called Application Renovation. In that series, Dr. Gray advocates for applicants to use stories instead of stating facts as we as human beings communicate and build a connection with each other through stories and shared experiences. After I had submitted my primary and secondary applications, I felt that I understood myself better as I tried to reflect what I got out of each experience that I put down in my application.

During the podcast that Dr. Harrison participated in a few years back, she mentioned that what WSU COM is looking for is right on their website and that she wants applicants to reflect as to what they got out of an experience. They don't want an application with just facts in it but one that includes reflection in it as that reflection is where maturity is demonstrated. Dr. Ryan Gray from the youtube channel Medical School HQ has a series called Application Renovation. In that series, Dr. Gray advocates for applicants to use stories instead of stating facts as we as human beings communicate and build a connection with each other through stories and shared experiences. After I had submitted my primary and secondary applications, I felt that I understood myself better as I tried to reflect what I got out of each experience that I put down in my application.
Ok, I did the exact same thing, I also listened to Dr. Gray's podcasts daily on my way to work for like a year lol

Ok, I did the exact same thing, I also listened to Dr. Gray's podcasts daily on my way to work for like a year lol
Then I don't know what to tell you. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they waitlisted you.

Can any students here speak on how frequent exams are? I know some schools are weekly or biweekly, is that the case here?

I think we should be hearing about the first acceptance calls either this week or next week going by last year’s thread. If the admissions committee sends out acceptances once every month until February, we should be getting about 20 accepted students into the class each month.

I think we should be hearing about the first acceptance calls either this week or next week going by last year’s thread. If the admissions committee sends out acceptances once every month until February, we should be getting about 20 accepted students into the class each month.
Lets hope so!