2022-2023 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I got a post interview hold

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got put on hold after interviewing. Does this happen to everyone? In the email, it says my application will stay like this until one of the acceptance release dates.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
wondering same thing
Just to clarify: every person that interviews goes in front of the executive committee 2 or 3 days later usually the Friday or Monday after. There you are voted on 1-5 by like 40 people. 1 is best. At this point, the only people rejected are people that flat out failed the interview. Which is maybe 1 person or something like that if that per interview day.

my point is: the vast majority of applicants get on hold for A / WL. All this means is that you didn’t fail the interview it gives no actual indication on your chances for acceptance.
Here is a some info from last year's thread that seems to help our worrying haha

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Sending good vibes to everyone interviewing this week :soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I messed up and made a bad mistake. I saw on AMCAS that VCU's program deadline is October 15th and I thought I still had time to turn in my secondary, but I didn't realize that VCU pushed an earlier deadline for my secondary app essays, making it due last week, and I looked it up too late due to being busy/putting my attention with several other applications. Do y'all have any advice on what to do? Would contacting the admissions office about the situation and requesting a reopening of my application do any good?

Members don't see this ad :)
I messed up and made a bad mistake. I saw on AMCAS that VCU's program deadline is October 15th and I thought I still had time to turn in my secondary, but I didn't realize that VCU pushed an earlier deadline for my secondary app essays, making it due last week, and I looked it up too late due to being busy/putting my attention with several other applications. Do y'all have any advice on what to do? Would contacting the admissions office about the situation and requesting a reopening of my application do any good?
If this was a month or two ago, then I'd say contact them but at this point of the cycle, cut your losses and let this one go.

So I was in a similar situation where I was late to submit something for early decision and the admissions office was very kind about it and even reached out to AMCAS for me to get it sorted. If VCU is one of your top choices, it would be worth it to reach out I think, the admissions office was super helpful/nice.

Reactions: 1 user
If this was a month or two ago, then I'd say contact them but at this point of the cycle, cut your losses and let this one go.
Oh, the 60 day thing ended exactly a week ago, so it's pretty recent.

So I was in a similar situation where I was late to submit something for early decision and the admissions office was very kind about it and even reached out to AMCAS for me to get it sorted. If VCU is one of your top choices, it would be worth it to reach out I think, the admissions office was super helpful/nice.
Thanks, I didn't pay attention to the fine print in their secondary invite and didn't realize they had a 60 day rule for getting all my materials in.

Anyone know if the interview is closed or open file? I know most of the interview is MMI, but the first question seems to be a traditional interview question for the first 14 mins and I was just wondering if the interviewer has your file open during this time.

At the start of our MMI session this morning, the faculty leading our interviews led us all through a mindfulness/meditation. It was only a few minutes, but it was so so helpful and thoughtful. Made me think even higher of VCU!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know if the interview is closed or open file? I know most of the interview is MMI, but the first question seems to be a traditional interview question for the first 14 mins and I was just wondering if the interviewer has your file open during this time.
At the start this morning they mentioned everyone was blind to our stats, but I am not sure if they could have read our application. Unclear on that end.

Interviewing right now. The MMI has no “Why Us” question. The 14 minute question is blind to everything except your name. Essentially, tell us your life story.
That’s all I can say about the MMI because of legal agreements of secrecy.

The interview was really chill, I loved it! Just finished the AM session. Good luck everyone :)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Offers made on Oct 1 (Early decision, Saturday, so offers made on Monday October 3rd), Oct 16 (Sunday, so offers made on Monday October 17th), Dec 16, Feb 1, and March 15 (around 50 acceptances offered per date). Applicants are ranked and then accepted or waitlisted. Send updates to the school if you have any significant updates (source: Interview presentation). Get's about 7,500 applicants to interview 700 applicants. Offers 300 offers. Have already offered about half of the incoming class-- direct words from the presentation.

Last edited:
Offers made on Oct 1 (Early decision, Saturday, so offers made on Monday October 3rd), Oct 16 (Sunday, so offers made on Monday October 17th), Dec 16, Feb 1, and March 15 (around 50 acceptances offered per date). Applicants are ranked and then accepted or waitlisted. Send updates to the school if you have any significant updates (source: Interview presentation). Get's about 7,500 applicants to interview 700 applicants. Offers 300 offers. Have already offered about half of the incoming class-- direct words from the presentation.
what do they mean they have already offered half of the incoming class? offers arent made until oct 1 for ED even

Reactions: 2 users
what do they mean they have already offered half of the incoming class? offers arent made until oct 1 for ED even
As in they've made considerations for admissions and have yet to send out those decisions (to my understanding). Or maybe they've interviewed half of the interviewees already.

Well as someone without an interview here despite it being my top choice, this crushes me lol

Well as someone without an interview here despite it being my top choice, this crushes me lol
Thats very confusing info. How have they offered 1/2 the incoming class if they stated they offer 50 A’s on each date? Are they reffering to bridge/early assurance programs?

The admissions person said this and we were like 🤔🥴. Def weird but I hope more people who interviewed today can shed light on what we heard
Maybe they've offered 1/2 the interviews already?

• Hmm
anyone interview previously and get an email that says

The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.

We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”

Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing

The VCU School of Medicine Admissions Committee has met to discuss your candidacy and your application is being placed on hold, pending a potential future offer of admission.

We anticipate making acceptance offers on October 17, December 16, February 1, and March 15. Your profile will remain on hold until such time that you receive an offer of admission (on one of the above dates) or you are invited to be on the alternate list, which will be formulated in mid-March.”

Im so confused. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Is everyone “placed on hold”? I know they mentioned something like this at the info session but it was all so confusing
yeah, idt it really means much at this point.

I got the same email does that mean we won’t be rejected or that , some people have already been offered admissions ?

I got the same email does that mean we won’t be rejected or that , some people have already been offered admissions ?
If you guys read earlier in the thread, someone explained they just put everyone on hold until they accept/WL/deny on those dates

I was in the AM session yesterday, I don't recall them saying half the offers have been made already. I could have just zoned out, but I don't think it makes sense because they have set offer dates. The ranking of students moves around after every single interview date as more people are voted on by the admissions committee, so the final 50-60 people they make offers to isn't going to be finalized until right before the offer dates. All I recall is them saying that about 300 offers total are made to make up the class size of 184.

How long after your interview did you get this email?

Per the AAMC Traffic Guidelines, schools aren't allowed to accept RD applicants until after October 15th. I'm in a similar situation with another school, which will place me on active hold until they are allowed to make a decision after all ED decisions are made.

Accepted today! Got an email from VCU about an hour ago.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I'm an ED applicant. Definitely wasn't expecting to hear before the decision date next Monday, I thought it was a rejection email but boy am I glad it wasn't lol

• Love
The email I got:
1664228819962.png

For everyone that's wondering about if "tabs" show up in the portal like previous years threads say: I didn't get an email about changes to my portal or anything, I just got an email from VCU directly. However, when I logged into the portal to pay my deposit, there was an "Admission Decision" tab on the left side. I don't see tabs that say VCU Information, In-State Eligibility, etc. which I saw people had gotten in past years. Hope this helps and good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users